ImageImageImageImageImage

The Allonzo Trier conundrum: A break down of the Knicks least talked about prospect.

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,517

Re: The Allonzo Trier conundrum: A break down of the Knicks least talked about prospect. 

Post#41 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:52 pm

blueNorange wrote:trier is a no defense, all offense player that also happens to be an iso player that doesn't pass or create for others.

allonzo trier's style of play is being phased out by the nba.

we need guys that play 5 on 5, not 1 on 5.

What’s being phased out by the NBA is inefficiency. Trier was above-league average in scoring efficiency on decent volume last season, which is highly impressive for a rookie. You may not like his style, but he scored the ball efficiently on a team with no other efficient scorer besides our centers (Kanter, Mitch, DAJ), most of whom were rim-runners.

The NBA has actually been trending back towards ISO ball lately with guys like Harden and Kawhi. Of course, they’re on a whole different level, particularly in terms of playmaking and passing vision in the case of Harden, but you can’t say that this style of play is outdated, especially when it’s done efficiently. Of course, I also want to see Trier improve his vision and be a little more unselfish.

What you really don’t want in 2019 is inefficiency, it’s not just a philosophical question about style of play. There’s a place for guys like Trier in today’s NBA, although he does need to pass more.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,059

Re: The Allonzo Trier conundrum: A break down of the Knicks least talked about prospect. 

Post#42 » by GONYK » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:59 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
blueNorange wrote:trier is a no defense, all offense player that also happens to be an iso player that doesn't pass or create for others.

What’s being phased out by the NBA is inefficiency. Trier was above-league average in scoring efficiency on decent volume last season, which is highly impressive for a rookie. You may not like his style, but he scored the ball efficiently on a team with no other efficient scorer besides our centers (Kanter, Mitch, DAJ), most of whom were rim-runners.

The NBA has actually been trending back towards ISO ball lately with guys like Harden and Kawhi. Of course, they’re on a whole different level, particularly in terms of playmaking and passing vision in the case of Harden, but you can’t say that this style of play is outdated, especially when it’s done efficiently. Of course, I also want to see Trier improve his vision and be a little more unselfish.

What you really don’t want in 2019 is inefficiency, it’s not just a philosophical question about style of play. There’s a place for guys like Trier in today’s NBA, although he does need to pass more.

Kawhi and Harden are strange markers. Harden ISO'd almost 50% of his possessions. Kawhi only around 17%

Kawhi barely ISO'd more than Kris Middleton.

He's pretty much hailed as the best player in the league, in large part because of his play style. That would suggest that the league is not really trending back towards ISO or that play style being preferred.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#43 » by GONYK » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:02 pm

Trier is fine for what he is. A supersub who can come it and get buckets. He's basically what Burke was, except not tiny and more efficient.

The key to getting the most out of Trier is a coach who can maximize his effectiveness. Play him when he's on, reign him in when he's off.

You don't want to change his instincts.
melo4three
Senior
And1: 253

Post#44 » by melo4three » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:11 pm

GONYK wrote:Trier is fine for what he is. A supersub who can come it and get buckets. He's basically what Burke was, except not tiny and more efficient.

The key to getting the most out of Trier is a coach who can maximize his effectiveness. Play him when he's on, reign him in when he's off.

You don't want to change his instincts.

Nah, he can be more than that. I believe he will be more than that.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,517

Post#45 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:28 pm

GONYK wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:

Kawhi and Harden are strange markers. Harden ISO'd almost 50% of his possessions. Kawhi only around 17%

He's pretty much hailed as the best player in the league, in large part because of his play style. That would suggest that the league is not really trending back towards ISO or that play style being preferred.

Interesting in the case of Kawhi, is this a regular season number or does it include the postseason as well? Because I didn’t watch too many Raptors games in the regular season but I could have sworn Kawhi ISO’d profusely in the playoffs against Philly and Milwaukee. That’s my subjective memory, it would be interesting to compare it to the actual numbers.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#46 » by Knicksfan1992 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:41 pm

GONYK wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:

I feel like Kawhi is more hailed as the best player in the league because of his ability to score efficiently while being able to be one of the most impactful defenders at his position. Same with Giannis.

If Harden was more of a lockdown guy, then I don't think anyone would question his status as the best player in the league due to his play style. Although I do think Harden's defense is somewhat underrated especially as to how it fits in a modern defense. Houston's switching defense largely works because of Harden's ability to defend against bigger players and push them off their spots and he racks up a ton of steals too. But that's all a topic for another day.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#47 » by GONYK » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:15 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:What’s being phased out by the NBA is inefficiency. Trier was above-league average in scoring efficiency on decent volume last season, which is highly impressive for a rookie. You may not like his style, but he scored the ball efficiently on a team with no other efficient scorer besides our centers (Kanter, Mitch, DAJ), most of whom were rim-runners.

Interesting in the case of Kawhi, is this a regular season number or does it include the postseason as well? Because I didn’t watch too many Raptors games in the regular season but I could have sworn Kawhi ISO’d profusely in the playoffs against Philly and Milwaukee. That’s my subjective memory, it would be interesting to compare it to the actual numbers.

Kawhi's ISO frequency was at 16.5% during the regular season and 17.6% during the playoffs.

I think that impression that he did it more (because I also had it at the time) might be a testament to his decisiveness once he gets the ball.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#48 » by GONYK » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:17 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:What’s being phased out by the NBA is inefficiency. Trier was above-league average in scoring efficiency on decent volume last season, which is highly impressive for a rookie. You may not like his style, but he scored the ball efficiently on a team with no other efficient scorer besides our centers (Kanter, Mitch, DAJ), most of whom were rim-runners.

I feel like Kawhi is more hailed as the best player in the league because of his ability to score efficiently while being able to be one of the most impactful defenders at his position. Same with Giannis.

If Harden was more of a lockdown guy, then I don't think anyone would question his status as the best player in the league due to his play style. Although I do think Harden's defense is somewhat underrated especially as to how it fits in a modern defense. Houston's switching defense largely works because of Harden's ability to defend against bigger players and push them off their spots and he racks up a ton of steals too. But that's all a topic for another day.

It certainly is :lol:

I think defense is definitely a large part of it. No doubt. But Kawhi is a player that you can plug in anywhere and his game will work and the team is still able to flow. He can function as a scorer, a facilitator, and excel in motion.

I think that is also a major part of the appeal with him.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,312

Post#49 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:21 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:So, after getting a lot of feedback on my long-form post about the Knicks Offseason Power Forward binge, I decided I wanted to semi-try my hand at this basketball writing thing again. Let me know what you guys think… I got tired towards the end so my attention to detail faded but I hope you like it. WARNING: THIS IS AGAIN A LONG READ. IF YOU DON’T FEEL LIKE READING A WALL OF TEXT THEN DON’T DO IT LOL

One of the underrated questions for the Knicks to solve this year is “What to do with Trier going forward?” Can Trier improve into a starting quality guard? Or maybe even an All-Star? Is he more replaceable than the optimists like me assume? While much has been made about other high profile Knicks prospects such as DSJ, Frank, Mitch, and Knox, Scott Perry will likely be up at night all of June 2020 (and maybe near the trade deadline as the Knicks continually shape the roster) wondering, not about those guys, but more about how much he should commit himself to Trier. All of the other aforementioned Knicks prospects are under cost-controlled deals that will not become questions for the Knicks for a few more seasons.

When you consider the steadfastness, with which the Knicks have tried to keep flexibility in their contract structures as of late, and the already rumored plans to attack 2021 Free Agency, Trier becomes an interesting dilemma within that context probably moreso than any other Knick under 25 years old. Most of the contracts given out this summer, by the Knicks, were given to veterans whom have an established reputation within the league. If other teams want a Marcus Morris, for instance, the Knicks can probably let him go and find another 1 year stop gap to fill the void until 2021 if they are committed on competing around the young core they’ve established. Because the league has the ability to set his value through restricted Free Agency, letting him go to the highest bidder becomes a tougher pill to swallow when there may be some untapped potential left in a player who plays a position that the Knicks have long needed some consistency from. Should Scott Perry let Trier walk in order to keep flexibility? Or should the Knicks put some eggs in the Trier basket and hope that he becomes more than what he is? Let’s examine him to see if we can make the picture clearer…

Early in the ‘18-‘19 season, Trier earned the moniker “Homeless Harden” on this board. While this nickname was given, ironically in nature, it is outright peculiar how similar Trier’s basic statistical profile was to James Harden’s rookie year in OKC. In 22.8 mpg, Trier averaged 10.9 ppg on a 56.4 TS%, a 12.9% AST%, all on a Usage Rate of 21.5%. Harden in 09-10 played 22.9mpg and averaged 9.9 ppg on a 55.1 TS%, a 12.3% AST%, all on a Usage Rate of 20.4%. Perhaps the best basic stat indicator of Trier’s future success and one that is most relevant when comparing to Harden’s stats is Trier’s .431 free throw rate per shot attempt. This is actually higher than Harden’s rookie year rate of .415. If Trier can continue to find his way to the line, it should help him maintain his scoring efficiency while he irons out other kinks in his game that I’ll examine later.

Now there is some context and other differentiators that need to be discussed when comparing Rookie Trier to Rookie Harden. First off, Trier came into the league as a 23 year old while Harden came in as a 20 year old. Physically major shifts can occur from ages 20 to 23 and it leaves a lot less room for growth at the NBA level for Trier as opposed to Harden. Also, Harden was a part of a 50 win Thunder squad that boasted young semi-experienced talents like Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant while Trier’s efforts were part of a hapless 17 win Knicks team that relied heavily on production from Emmanuel Mudiay, 19 year old Kevin Knox and 19 year old Mitchell Robinson. One could make the argument that Harden was held back by the amount of talent on his rookie team and his contributions contributed to winning more so than Trier’s did. However, one can’t help but wonder if Harden’s efficiency would have suffered under the same circumstances Trier had around him in his rookie year? Is it even more impressive that Trier was as efficient as he was given the talent around him? This is a topic about player development that somebody smarter than me could write a book about. For right now, I’ll leave it as just an important talking point and context shaper.

Overall, I think comparing Trier to Harden is obviously unfair and lofty… Harden had an unprecedented growth curve and was eventually traded to an organization that literally developed its whole team building philosophy around him. Trier more than likely will never have that exact situation given to him and honestly, his skill level probably does not warrant that. Nevertheless that does not mean Trier cannot be a stud in his own right.

Another nickname Allonzo owns is “Iso Zo” and this is for good reason… you do not become as efficient as Trier did, on a bad team, without the ability to flat out get buckets. Scoring is by far Trier’s best attribute. Trier has a fantastic herky-jerky handle that he uses to constantly keep defenders off balance in iso situations. He has the ability to blow by guys with some surprising burst out of his dribble. He also has some deceptive leaping ability and body control at the rim to finish which leads to his ability to draw foul calls at his Harden-esque rate. The below gif is a great example of how Trier can attack guys who you think would be quicker than him from a standstill and attack the rim with force.
https://gfycat.com/evilformalblackwidowspider
Rozier is no slouch as a man on man defender and Trier blows by him like a revolving door to finish through Baynes for the and 1 opportunity.

Allonzo’s great body control also shows itself on step backs which he regularly made throughout the season. In the below clip Trier is able to stop on a dime and pull back to get the shot over the taller Bogdanovic.
https://gfycat.com/unacceptableblissfulbarnowl

While almost all of Trier’s made step backs were 2’s, according to NBA.com, it is nice to see just how comfortable he is pulling them off against bigger opponents. An important question will be how many of those can he convert to 3 point makes going forward which may drain his efficiency somewhat in the short term, but will make him harder to guard in the long term if he can pull them off with some regularity. This leads to my next point. We know Trier can score but what exactly else can he do at an NBA level? Well as of now not much exactly but there may be room for optimism…

He isn’t a stout defender and he doesn’t have the greatest length for a wing in today’s game. Sporting only a 6’6.75” wingspan on a 6’5” frame Trier is really relegated to only guarding traditional two guards who are becoming ever so rare in today’s NBA. Size at the wing and point of attack has become ever important to modern defense. Trier probably will never be strong enough to be a great switch guy onto bigger guys and won’t be quick enough to guard the best lead ball handling guards consistently. Combine all of those disadvantages with the fact that he posted low “STOCK” numbers for his position and it’s really hard to see pathway to being more than mediocre on defense.
However there are some underlying positives from his rookie year, defensively, if you look at some underlying lineup data. According to CleaningtheGlass, lineups that featured Trier at his natural position at SG, Dennis Smith at Pg, and Mitchell Robinson at Center (a combination Knicks fans will see a ton in 19-20) defended in the 92nd percentile! It was a small sample size but an encouraging one if you think Trier can have starter upside with the right combination around him. Also if you remove Smith and make the combination just Trier at SG and Mitch at C, the Knicks were mediocre defensively in the 42nd percentile but believe it or not, mediocrity on the defensive end was a step up for this squad. Also, while many are in the camp that Trier is nothing but a microwave scorer off the bench like Lou Williams (although Lou has become so much better as a complete offensive threat as he’s aged). I think it’s important to note that even though Trier is small for a wing, he’s still not so small that he can be easily picked on either like a Trae Young for instance. For guys like that it is important to be hyper elite on offense because they don’t really provide anything on defense. I don’t necessarily think Trier is in that mold. I think there is a room for Trier to not be a complete dynamo offensively, like Harden, but still be good enough to be a starter on a good team. Think of how a guy like Redick transformed himself into a decent defender while being an above average threat offensively and how it changed his reputation. Redick is a good segue to another topic when it comes to Trier’s starter viability which is hid catch and shoot ability.

For Trier to make that “leap” into a guy that can start he needs to be less reliant on having the ball in his hands. One promising part of Trier’s game is his naturally great shooting touch. He started to parlay that into more catch and shoot opportunities as the 18-19 season progressed. According to NBA.com, post all-star break Trier shot a blistering 42.9% on 2.2 C&S 3’s per game. That is still a lower number than where you might want his attempts to be, but it provides incredible upside for Trier if he can learn to let go of the reigns a little bit and be more of an off ball force to round his game out as the Knicks acquire more talent around him. For context, Trier only shot 0.7 C&S 3’s per game pre All-Star Break. This was a massive in season adjustment that could pay dividends down the line. If he can continue to play within himself and settle more on being the off ball guy instead of Iso Zo, then he might actually be able to bank in on starter money rather than being a journeyman 6th man which would be an excellent development for the Knicks. The reason, I think this is imperative is because, currently, Trier is a somewhat limited passer. If we’re going to use the tired Harden comparison, Trier is nowhere near the level of intuitive passing that Harden shows regularly. However, I do think there’s reason to be optimistic.

The below clip is a great example of a flash of instinctual passing that Trier shows from time to time. He immediately spots Robinson rolling to the rim on the weakside and snaps a pass to him without hesitation in the perfect spot. This is the type of passing you see from guys like Harden, CP3, etc. all the time and is necessary if you’re going to be a truly elite offensive player in the NBA.
https://gfycat.com/immaterialperkyaustraliancattledog

Do I think Trier will all of a sudden augment his game to be an efficient offensive fulcrum for himself and other like Harden did? Smart money is on No, but I wouldn’t 100% rule it out either….Ok, you can probably like 99% rule it out hahah…. But there is a reason we called him “Homeless Harden” in the beginning of this. He really is uniquely skilled and flashes so many great plays offensively that it’s hard to not be enamored with him on that end

Overall, I think Trier is a good conundrum for the Knicks. Rarely do we have a young player worth arguing about whether we should keep long term or not. Usually we give up on them way too early or some other BS happens before we even get to that stage. If I’m Perry I would think long and hard about it, but there are plenty of reasons to believe that Homeless Harden could become at least “Middle Class Harden on a bargain deal” which would be great for the Knicks going forward in so many ways.

TL/DR

:-)
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,312

Post#50 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:21 pm

J/K. Good take. Agree with it.
MadGrinch
Veteran
And1: 412

Post#51 » by MadGrinch » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:31 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
MadGrinch wrote:Honestly I don’t think he plays much unless he dedicates himself to being more of a defender and 3 point shooter , he’s not going to be anointed the team’s perimeter scorer the knicks have RJ for that and behind him is DSJ

Frank may well be Fizdale’s tony Allen guaranteeing him a role especially if he can knock down the occasional jump shot

Dotson is already rounding into a decent 3andD wing

Trier’s only into significant playing time is basically to convince Fizdale that he should be the team’s star on the perimeter over Smith and Barrett

Or to outdefend frank and Dotson both are extremely unlikely

Portis and either Knox or Morris are going to be offensive players off the bench because they are more established/better or in Knox’s case was a top 10 pick who is 4 years younger than trier and they obviously believe in his potential.

But what makes him a real prospect is what he can do off the dribble and the knicks don’t need him for that .

He’ll need an advocate to get him playing time his game doesn’t warrant.

So I don’t think he’ll play

I don't agree. The Knicks are still going to need to have shooters on the floor. Like I posted in my write up Trier was not only one of the best catch and shoot guys on the Knicks, but also in the league. He just didn't shoot enough of them until late in the year.

When he shared the floor with DSJ last year, the Knicks were fantastic on both sides of the floor. I don't think the Knicks would have picked up his option if they did not have any plans for him to play this season.

the knicks have shooters, they need players to fulfill roles , of the players who played 500 minutes or more last season on the knicks only Kanter , robinson and vonleh shot fewer 3's per minute than Trier and they have added new shooters to the roster , if he's not shooting the shots the coaching staff wants they are no longer stuck with him .

per 36 minutes trier shot 3.3 three pointers
out of the players on the roster
ellington 10.3
bullock 6.2
dotson 6.1
smith jr 5.0
ntilikina 4.5
payton 1.8
knox 6.1
morris 6.7
randle 3.1
portis 5.6

its clear Fizdale and Perry are going to have an offense that features 3 point shooters from virtually all positions .

if you take a look at when Fizdale coached the Grizzlies his team too over 600 more threes than the previous year under Joerger 1521 to 2169

so while trier has been very accurate from 3 he clearly didn't hunt down 3 point shots enough which is why they told him to work on it , its worth noting Kadeem allen was even more accurate than Trier , he shot .472 from 3 last season but he also fewer per minute than Trier (3.1) and he will start the season in westchester.
Its because I'm green isn't it?
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,375
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#52 » by BKlutch » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:41 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that as Trier learns how to pass and picks up his defense, he's going to see plenty of minutes when our offense is stagnant. At least he's not a Burke-style midget.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#53 » by br7knicks » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:33 am

Fat Kat wrote:
br7knicks wrote:I'm hoping I'm wrong about Trier. He showed a glimmer of hope towards the end of last year. But I won't hold my breath until fizdale shows he's going to hold stupid basketball accountable.

To me, this falls on fizdale. If he'll actually hold up his end of the bargain, where he said he'll hold players to playing smart, then hopefully Trier will be fixed.

I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I won't hold my breath, not at what Trier showed last year. But hopefully Trier will come back this season as completely different from how he played last year

Well this is what Fizdale told him to work on this summer

“It’s something Coach talked to me about,” he told The Athletic. “‘You shoot it so good.’ And the front office talked to me about I need to shoot more 3s off the catch, as soon as I can get it let it fly.

It was my main gripe last season. He’d have a wide open 3, only to fake, dribble and take a contested shot. Let’s see what happens this year

I wouldn't mind this with him. As long as it's within the flow of the offense.

Jr was only bearable when he was shooting 3s from the corner catching and shooting
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#54 » by br7knicks » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:38 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
br7knicks wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
He is not as big or built like Melo. He's quicker than Melo and has a shiftier handle. His ambition is usually to get to the rim. Melo's primary goal was to take a 15 footer. So what if they both use ball fakes to get space? That doesn't make them alike.

Besides, the problem with Melo was he should never have been pegged as the franchise player. Zo is just fine as a piece as Melo should have been treated too.

The offense is not going to run through Zo like it ran through Melo if that is what you expect. He'll have a role to fill.

Their game is similar in that their tunnel vision, lowIQ, and inability to play team basketball disrupts team flow, and kills chances of winning and success - melo showed that he'd rather put up stats than win basketball games.

Trier took way too many jumpers at the top of the arc. The fact that his nickname is ISO Zo tells you that you shouldn't want him on a winning basketball team.

You want a guy who can create for himself. But if that's all you do, and all you look for, you end up with **** players like melo who don't translate to winning or success, which melo clearly showed no interest in doing.

The saving grace is that trier, towards the end of the year, started throwing some lobs to Mitch. He is also young.

The only way he's worth keeping around is if the coaching staff can completely restart his brain, mentality, and approach to the game, and build him up from scratch. It's also important that, like you said, the offense doesn't run through him.

At this rate, and the way he plays, hopefully he'll never be the starting SG on the Knicks. But if he's going to stick around he needs no more than 10 mpg, and cannot be allowed to go ISO, ****, melo ball Everytime he touches the ball.

My hope is that he's third string, and only brought in when the game is out of hand, until he can show even a small sign of basketball IQ. Otherwise, it's going to be JR Smith and melo all over again, and NO true Knicks fan should ever want that again

I think you're projecting a bit and have a calcified view of a guy who played one season.

Anyway, not going to debate it and will just hope he isn't a thorn in your side that detracts from your enjoyment of the game.

He might turn you around so keep an open mind.

Maybe. Just saw way too much melo in him last year.

But as I said, it's good that he's young, and hopefully he can be roped in.

I'm pretty good at keeping an open mind. Although it was just summer league, I was able to admit Knox showed some signs of motor, improvement, and slight IQ.

I'm hoping Trier can change my mind, too.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#55 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:54 am

There is still a lot of iso play in the nba. It’s just quicker paced and there are more guards doing it versus at one time a lot of centers did it. Still iso though.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#56 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:55 am

god shammgod wrote:probably the only guy on the team who's any good at creating a jumper off the dribble and nobody thinks he's any good.

the kid shoots contested iso jumpers at a better percentage than most of last year's knicks wide open off the catch. but no...pass to them anyway zo...because of this simplistic notion that an open shot is the best shot even if it comes from someone who can't f*cking shoot whatsoever. could he pass a little more ? sure. but he's the only guard who can shoot on the whole team. he really needs to take more shots.

i already took mitch away from most of you because you didn't deserve him. now you don't deserve zo either. you can't root for either of those guys. go root for taj gibson. he's your favorite player now. go on. get outta here.

You are a wise man.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#57 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:01 am

GONYK wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:

Man I still see tons of iso in current basketball. Kawhi is not a typical player. He’s an anomaly. But pretty much the leagues biggest stars still iso A LOT.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,273

Post#58 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:18 pm

Great deep diving on Trier.

Trier can score efficiently from all levels on offense and create his own shot. That has a ton of value. He has some potential as a passer/facilitator too. He had some nice moments.

The iso Zo nickname can be bad because i think people just assume he hogged the ball. But he was 9th on the team in fga and 11th in fga per 36. He really didnt shoot a ton. If anything he probably needed more opportunities. I think he's a smart player in the way he adjusted, so think ge can keep improving too.

He should def be a major part in the rotation
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#59 » by dakomish23 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:07 pm

If gets his defense up a notch, he'll have a long term role on any team's rotation. Also would help if he had a little less tunnel vision at times, but it's not egregious.

Getting him is one of the top things Perry has done.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#60 » by Knicksfan1992 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:27 pm

GONYK wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
GONYK wrote:

It certainly is :lol:

I think defense is definitely a large part of it. No doubt. But Kawhi is a player that you can plug in anywhere and his game will work and the team is still able to flow. He can function as a scorer, a facilitator, and excel in motion.

I think that is also a major part of the appeal with him.

For sure. Agree on all accounts, but I actually think Kawhi isn't that great of a passer. But what he is good at is feeling out the game and situation and making a quick decision which doesn't bog down the offense. The key was that Toronto did a great job of surrounding him with other quick decision makers. Van Vleet, Gasol and Lowry are all some of the smartest players in the league and scrappy defenders. It really helped their continuity out in the playoffs. It actually made the Sixers challenge in the 2nd round of last year a lot more impressive now that we saw how easily they cut through every other opponent. Everyone else struggled to contain all of those guys and it's why I'm really high on the Sixers this year even sans Jimmy.

Return to New York Knicks