ImageImageImageImageImage

Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks

Moderators: Capn'O, mpharris36, Deeeez Knicks, GONYK, j4remi, NoLayupRule, K-DOT, Thugger HBC, mrpoetryNmotion, Jeff Van Gully, King of Canada

User avatar
god shammgod
Knicks Forum Crazy Board Uncle
Posts: 93,602
And1: 51,729
Joined: Feb 18, 2006
Location: Never Too Early to Tank

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks 

Post#121 » by god shammgod » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:22 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
Stannis wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
he's 35. that might have something to do with it too.

the nerve of some of you to try to win this discussion by waiting until he's aged out of the league to say "see i was right". :lol:
He's 35 now. But has been abysmal for 3 years at least.

Nobody else with that star power and connections ended their career so early unless they had a major injury, which Melo did not.

If we are going to say 32 is too old, then I don't know what to say.


His play style is what's aged. In skillset Melo is like 45. If the early 2000 lasted forever, Melo couldve played till 50. Its not like his athleticism is limiting him from doing anything he wants to do out there. Melos a vastly skilled player. As we speak there be few defenders who can stop him from scoring. Problem is if you score but took 6 seconds of the shot clock doing it at a low passing rate, based on current rules and coaching styles that defense already won the matchup, score or not.

So it's his mentality that is dated and idk if you could change that. I enjoyed watching him play though.


i think it's a combination of age and skill set as you say. if he could hit catch and shoot 3s at a good enough rate there would be a role for him but he can't. that's what they tried in okc. there are 2 guys from his draft class still in the league, lebron & korver. korver can't play d either but he can hit those 3s still. nobody wants mid range shooting no more unless you're an elite player and he's too old to be one.
Image
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 54,035
And1: 22,402
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks 

Post#122 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:24 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:This will be fun

https://nypost.com/2019/09/07/derrick-rose-phil-jacksons-meddling-doomed-my-knicks/

Steve Mills is talking all this black dude stuff with me, like we’re brothers and all this. He’s saying that s–t, making me think it’s going to make us closer. Come on, be yourself.


Image

Spoiler:
Image


Mills: "Yeah, we gonna kick it down at the strip club in Queens tonight. Meet me there at about 2 a.m. I'll bring the rock."
Image
Nazrmohamed
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,132
And1: 1,943
Joined: May 16, 2013
     

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks 

Post#123 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:28 pm

god shammgod wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
Stannis wrote:He's 35 now. But has been abysmal for 3 years at least.

Nobody else with that star power and connections ended their career so early unless they had a major injury, which Melo did not.

If we are going to say 32 is too old, then I don't know what to say.


His play style is what's aged. In skillset Melo is like 45. If the early 2000 lasted forever, Melo couldve played till 50. Its not like his athleticism is limiting him from doing anything he wants to do out there. Melos a vastly skilled player. As we speak there be few defenders who can stop him from scoring. Problem is if you score but took 6 seconds of the shot clock doing it at a low passing rate, based on current rules and coaching styles that defense already won the matchup, score or not.

So it's his mentality that is dated and idk if you could change that. I enjoyed watching him play though.


i think it's a combination of age and skill set as you say. if he could hit catch and shoot 3s at a good enough rate there would be a role for him but he can't. that's what they tried in okc. there are 2 guys from his draft class still in the league, lebron & korver. korver can't play d either but he can hit those 3s still. nobody wants mid range shooting no more unless you're an elite player and he's too old to be one.


Yep. And I say all these thing while totally loving his game. I dont care if I'm wrong or if analytics prove otherwise. ALL OF MY FAVORITE PLAYERS historically are guys known for utilizing a vast array of moves in the midrange in order to get off shots while defended.

I know how important 3 pt shots are but my fat cousin Earl can hit NBA 3 pointers at a high clip. I just dont believe it takes as much skill as advertised, especially when assisted. Its range, nothing more. And it's fine, you can kill me for it but it's not fun for me to watch. I loved Hakeem, Jordan Kobe, I liked Chris Paul, I loved watching Melo and fast forward to today and I enjoy watching Jason Tatum. It's a personal preference.

But make no mistake......nobody in current NBA circles appreciates that ****. If cloned prime Jordan himself walked into a game today somebody's gonna tell that dude. " hey look, it's obvious you're the most skilled and athletic player here but nobody wants to watch you post up guards at 18 ft for 10 seconds of the shot clock while taking 23 shots....it just ain't gonna happen dude"..and heres a player whose skill level is infallable
User avatar
2010
Knicks Forum A Helluva Poster
Posts: 23,287
And1: 15,833
Joined: Jul 24, 2008
       

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks 

Post#124 » by 2010 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:37 pm

NYKAL wrote:
HerSports85 wrote:Met Mills when he was working with Magic here in Detroit to rebuild some struggling areas. Mills is more for the culture than Rose ever was and he doesn’t seem to be faking it. So that’s why I’m upset. How you know that’s not HIM

and I’m high key offended by some posters in this thread but I’m going to be quiet before I get suspended. Just don’t downplay or question someone’s blackness because you are unsure about yours. Fu!king clown



they act like kids from the Hood have never made it into Princeton or Yale. Hood cats are everywhere, you just don't know unless someone violates them to the point that they feel the need to let the hood out. This is NOT me saying Perry is Hood, it's me giving an example of how and why someone could have an education of the highest order and still be fully in touch with where he came from. Never question people cultural identity.


Anyone questioning Perry and Mills blackness are the ones out of touch. They need to do their history on each of their respective families (especially their fathers). Both Perry and Mills are sons of historic black figures who broke barriers as men of color.
Image Image

We The North...

1: Sexton | Collison | Mudiay
2: Redick | Harris | Burks
3: Knox | Hood | Korver
4: Towns | Portis | Randolph
5: Cousins | ✖ | Jones

G League: Dotson | Caboclo | Konate
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 34,093
And1: 21,770
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: Free Candy Van
 

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks 

Post#125 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:53 pm

god shammgod wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
god shammgod wrote:i believe he was an all-star 3 years ago at 32

you mean the popularity contest that's fan voting and not actual production?


actually the coaches voted him in. the fans only pick the starters. they're not you, but they probably know a little something about basketball.

look, melo wasn't perfect at all. he could have done a lot of things better. he also wasn't the force of the evil in the universe that some of you make him out be. but i understand, realgm is not about nuance.


Evil?

No, he's just exceedingly bad at playing team ball.

And that's a psychological problem, not a talent one.
User avatar
Capn'O
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 50,639
And1: 37,272
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Location: Let's stop and get a hot dog
 

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks 

Post#126 » by Capn'O » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:02 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:But make no mistake......nobody in current NBA circles appreciates that ****. If cloned prime Jordan himself walked into a game today somebody's gonna tell that dude. " hey look, it's obvious you're the most skilled and athletic player here but nobody wants to watch you post up guards at 18 ft for 10 seconds of the shot clock while taking 23 shots....it just ain't gonna happen dude"..and heres a player whose skill level is infallable


I agreed with a ton in your post in terms of preference for what to watch but one thing about Mike I've noticed when I go back and watch his tape is how quickly he attacks. Not a lot of wasted time or motion before whatever's about to happen to you happens. It wasn't that Mark Jackson backdown crap.
BAF Clippers
PG: SGA/Payton/Napier
SG: G. Harris/THT/Korkmaz
SF: Little/KCP/Dekker
PF: Isaac/M. Leonard/Vanderbilt/
C: Nurkic/M. Gasol/Holmes

RIP Mags :beer:
User avatar
god shammgod
Knicks Forum Crazy Board Uncle
Posts: 93,602
And1: 51,729
Joined: Feb 18, 2006
Location: Never Too Early to Tank

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks 

Post#127 » by god shammgod » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:07 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
blueNorange wrote:you mean the popularity contest that's fan voting and not actual production?


actually the coaches voted him in. the fans only pick the starters. they're not you, but they probably know a little something about basketball.

look, melo wasn't perfect at all. he could have done a lot of things better. he also wasn't the force of the evil in the universe that some of you make him out be. but i understand, realgm is not about nuance.


Evil?

No, he's just exceedingly bad at playing team ball.

And that's a psychological problem, not a talent one.


team ball has absolutely nothing to do with why melo isn't in the league now. at all. he barely got the ball once he left here to do anything with. he didn't even have the opportunity to be selfish. he was mostly a catch and shoot 3 point player and he just didn't hit enough 3s. it's not his mentality or anything like that. he has to be a stretch 4 now and he's just not efficient enough in that role. everyone talks about olympic melo but that was only a few games where he was hot from 3. he's older now and he couldn't do that for a whole season.
Image
Nazrmohamed
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,132
And1: 1,943
Joined: May 16, 2013
     

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks 

Post#128 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:13 pm

Capn'O wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:But make no mistake......nobody in current NBA circles appreciates that ****. If cloned prime Jordan himself walked into a game today somebody's gonna tell that dude. " hey look, it's obvious you're the most skilled and athletic player here but nobody wants to watch you post up guards at 18 ft for 10 seconds of the shot clock while taking 23 shots....it just ain't gonna happen dude"..and heres a player whose skill level is infallable


I agreed with a ton in your post in terms of preference for what to watch but one thing about Mike I've noticed when I go back and watch his tape is how quickly he attacks. Not a lot of wasted time or motion before whatever's about to happen to you happens. It wasn't that Mark Jackson backdown crap.


True. I would be wrong to make it seem like that's all he did on every play but even so, when you include the time a pg would dribble in place to feed him while he established himself in the post, you gotta also include that. But still he made quick moves but point is the game today look like a game of hot potato. You touch it and get rid of it, be it a shot or a pass almost instantly. I just dont know if coaches today could allow a play to develop as long as they did for most Jordan plays is all I'm sayin. Even 3 seconds feels like an eternity.
User avatar
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
Posts: 29,054
And1: 5,867
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
     

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks 

Post#129 » by br7knicks » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:22 pm

prolific96 wrote:Sounds like more of an indictment of Melo than Phil.

"Melo’s there. You know how he plays. Can’t change that..."

"Melo couldn’t play that way, didn’t want to..."

"They were trying to do it for Melo; he didn’t want to start over so they wanted to get the veterans for him. But he can’t play with a lot of guys, he’s gotta be the main guy."


well he's not wrong with any of it.


i feel bad for anyone who had to play with melo throughout their career.

a lot of them say he's "a great guy," but i can't recall anyone saying he's easy/fun to play with, at least not when they leave his team.


just look at the parts where melo refused to play the triangle. he did the same with with d'antoni, lin, and the up tempo style of play - which is odd, because for someone who does nothing but shoot the ball whenever he touches it, you'd think he'd love an offense where he'd get more shots.



i came into the thread expecting to hate Rose. while he did suck ass, and abandoned the team (it's also the FO's fault for bringing him in, in the first place), i found myself intrigued by a lot of this.
Rest in Peace, magnumt. 2019
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 19,677
And1: 12,899
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
     

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks 

Post#130 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:23 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:


Image

Spoiler:
Image


Mills: "Yeah, we gonna kick it down at the strip club in Queens tonight. Meet me there at about 2 a.m. I'll bring the rock."


yeah, not at all what i thought he meant.
RIP magnumt

all we got iz us szn(s)
User avatar
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
Posts: 29,054
And1: 5,867
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
     

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks 

Post#131 » by br7knicks » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:25 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
blueNorange wrote:you mean the popularity contest that's fan voting and not actual production?


actually the coaches voted him in. the fans only pick the starters. they're not you, but they probably know a little something about basketball.

look, melo wasn't perfect at all. he could have done a lot of things better. he also wasn't the force of the evil in the universe that some of you make him out be. but i understand, realgm is not about nuance.


Evil?

No, he's just exceedingly bad at playing team ball.

And that's a psychological problem, not a talent one.


he just never should have played in the NBA. he should've been the big name to make that Big 3 league years ago. i think melo would've been a legend in that league.

i feel i would've liked him and rooted for him in that league, because his inability to play as a team or pass the ball would've been perfect for that style. just can't stand that **** style basketball on my favorite team. rose wasn't much better, but i have yet to see a player reach as bad as melo when it comes to team basketball.
Rest in Peace, magnumt. 2019
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 19,677
And1: 12,899
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
     

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks 

Post#132 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:25 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
I don't think that's what Derrick meant at all. He wouldn't have said be yourself. And everybody jumping on it to say ... see Mills sucks. Is ignoring that Mills has always been very pro-Black and this is not a facade.


i took "be yourself" to mean, lead with who you are and not pro-black pandering. :dontknow:


What if he is about pro-Black sentiment (not pandering) and he has walked it while what has Derrick Rose done except buy sex toys?


didn't ssay mills isn't walking the walk. i'm talking about the humor i find in derrick rose's take and subsequent attack.

you can be pro-black, walk the walk, and still not connect to someone properly on a personal level. i thought that to be rose's problem.
RIP magnumt

all we got iz us szn(s)
User avatar
prophet_of_rage
General Manager
Posts: 8,312
And1: 1,872
Joined: Jan 06, 2005

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks 

Post#133 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:51 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
i took "be yourself" to mean, lead with who you are and not pro-black pandering. :dontknow:


What if he is about pro-Black sentiment (not pandering) and he has walked it while what has Derrick Rose done except buy sex toys?


didn't ssay mills isn't walking the walk. i'm talking about the humor i find in derrick rose's take and subsequent attack.

you can be pro-black, walk the walk, and still not connect to someone properly on a personal level. i thought that to be rose's problem.
Rose is saying Mills was fake. How do you miss that? Talking that Black dude ****.
Just be yourself.

He isn't saying they didn't connect. He thought Mills was fake.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
User avatar
F N 11
RealGM
Posts: 48,736
And1: 22,417
Joined: Jun 27, 2006
Location: Getting over screens with Gusto.
Contact:
 

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks 

Post#134 » by F N 11 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:22 am

Stannis wrote:
BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:
F N 11 wrote:He violated Mills lols. Mills do seem like he try too hard.

He really did. I don’t think it’s fair he question the man’s “Blackness” without substantiating it some.

Some things you don’t question out loud in the media brother.

Is Mills not enough of a brotherman because he didn’t resign Rose to a gajillion Dolandollars?

I didn't see anything where Rose was questioning Mills "blackness"?

He basically saying stop with all the black power talk and be yourself.
Ntilikina/Knox/Mitch/RJ ARMY
amit wrote:Frank prime will be like 10 ppg. Hes not that kind of PG and we knew it since he got drafted. Thats why scorers players around frank will be the bast for him
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 34,093
And1: 21,770
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: Free Candy Van
 

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks 

Post#135 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:38 am

god shammgod wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
actually the coaches voted him in. the fans only pick the starters. they're not you, but they probably know a little something about basketball.

look, melo wasn't perfect at all. he could have done a lot of things better. he also wasn't the force of the evil in the universe that some of you make him out be. but i understand, realgm is not about nuance.


Evil?

No, he's just exceedingly bad at playing team ball.

And that's a psychological problem, not a talent one.


team ball has absolutely nothing to do with why melo isn't in the league now. at all. he barely got the ball once he left here to do anything with. he didn't even have the opportunity to be selfish. he was mostly a catch and shoot 3 point player and he just didn't hit enough 3s. it's not his mentality or anything like that. he has to be a stretch 4 now and he's just not efficient enough in that role. everyone talks about olympic melo but that was only a few games where he was hot from 3. he's older now and he couldn't do that for a whole season.


All he did was not hit enough threes, otherwise he was eager to do whatever the team wanted in OKC, is that right?

OK man
User avatar
Fat Kat
RealGM
Posts: 25,192
And1: 14,344
Joined: Apr 19, 2004
     

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks 

Post#136 » by Fat Kat » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:56 am

F N 11 wrote:
Stannis wrote:
BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:He really did. I don’t think it’s fair he question the man’s “Blackness” without substantiating it some.

Some things you don’t question out loud in the media brother.

Is Mills not enough of a brotherman because he didn’t resign Rose to a gajillion Dolandollars?

I didn't see anything where Rose was questioning Mills "blackness"?

He basically saying stop with all the black power talk and be yourself.


Or perhaps Rose has no interest in black affairs or empowerment.

Read on Twitter


Image
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
HerSports85
Head Coach
Posts: 7,151
And1: 4,941
Joined: Dec 22, 2011
 

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks 

Post#137 » by HerSports85 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:57 am

Fat Kat wrote:
F N 11 wrote:
Stannis wrote:I didn't see anything where Rose was questioning Mills "blackness"?

He basically saying stop with all the black power talk and be yourself.


Or perhaps Rose has no interest in black affairs or empowerment.

Read on Twitter


Bingo! As I said before Rose just insecure within himself
User avatar
prophet_of_rage
General Manager
Posts: 8,312
And1: 1,872
Joined: Jan 06, 2005

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks 

Post#138 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:57 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Evil?

No, he's just exceedingly bad at playing team ball.

And that's a psychological problem, not a talent one.


team ball has absolutely nothing to do with why melo isn't in the league now. at all. he barely got the ball once he left here to do anything with. he didn't even have the opportunity to be selfish. he was mostly a catch and shoot 3 point player and he just didn't hit enough 3s. it's not his mentality or anything like that. he has to be a stretch 4 now and he's just not efficient enough in that role. everyone talks about olympic melo but that was only a few games where he was hot from 3. he's older now and he couldn't do that for a whole season.


All he did was not hit enough threes, otherwise he was eager to do whatever the team wanted in OKC, is that right?

OK man
OKC fell apart after he left. He wasn't the problem.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 34,093
And1: 21,770
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: Free Candy Van
 

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks 

Post#139 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:26 am

prophet_of_rage wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
team ball has absolutely nothing to do with why melo isn't in the league now. at all. he barely got the ball once he left here to do anything with. he didn't even have the opportunity to be selfish. he was mostly a catch and shoot 3 point player and he just didn't hit enough 3s. it's not his mentality or anything like that. he has to be a stretch 4 now and he's just not efficient enough in that role. everyone talks about olympic melo but that was only a few games where he was hot from 3. he's older now and he couldn't do that for a whole season.


All he did was not hit enough threes, otherwise he was eager to do whatever the team wanted in OKC, is that right?

OK man
OKC fell apart after he left. He wasn't the problem.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk


Except that is not the point. Sham was brushing off discussion of Melo's mentality having anything to do with his fall from grace and saying he just couldn't perform any longer because of his inability to hit threes.

If you really do believe the video of Melo at the OKC press conference we've all seen multiple times was an indication of a well-adjusted ball player, then I'm not going to get into the usual long debates about it with anyone. If you or Sham really believe that, then suit yourself.

Long story short, Sham was dramatizing a bit much about where people sit on the spectrum of Melo opinions and I responded to say no, he's not evil. While he was one of my least favorite players of all time, nobody is calling anyone evil, just selfish in basketball matters in ways I and others have taken issue with.

You guys can carry on with this, but I'm bowing out for today. Good night
User avatar
F N 11
RealGM
Posts: 48,736
And1: 22,417
Joined: Jun 27, 2006
Location: Getting over screens with Gusto.
Contact:
 

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks 

Post#140 » by F N 11 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:28 am

Fat Kat wrote:
F N 11 wrote:
Stannis wrote:I didn't see anything where Rose was questioning Mills "blackness"?

He basically saying stop with all the black power talk and be yourself.


Or perhaps Rose has no interest in black affairs or empowerment.

Read on Twitter


Image

Well damn
Ntilikina/Knox/Mitch/RJ ARMY
amit wrote:Frank prime will be like 10 ppg. Hes not that kind of PG and we knew it since he got drafted. Thats why scorers players around frank will be the bast for him

Return to New York Knicks