Page 5 of 9

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks

Posted: Mon Sep 9, 2019 3:54 pm
by Woodsanity
Not like Rose helped

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks

Posted: Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:04 pm
by Capn'O
prophet_of_rage wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
If he were the coach, you'd have an argument, but not as the POBO.

IMO, he would have looked like a worse coach if they won a bunch of championships with the triangle, lesser talent, and Jeff Hornacek as the coach. So easy, anyone could do it!


Image
Here's why I disagree with your take. Phil Jackson came in to put his identity on the team. Phil Jackson only understands one offence well. Anything else and Phil would have been out of control. He couldn't be the architect behind a speedball offence and thus it wouldn't be his stamp. That's why he insisted Hornacek use the triangle and not a different offence.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk


You know, that's probably how he looked at it. I will concede that.

I just don't think the rest of the world was evaluating him that way. If he had, for example, let Hornacek do what he did in Phoenix most of the rest of us would have just gone "oh, cool, look. Phil's doing the GM job like he's supposed to." As 1992 mentioned, if you have to control the offense it's pretty useless if you're not the coach.

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks

Posted: Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:04 pm
by Scalabrine
Him comparing his situation to George Hill and the Kings contract negotiations is pretty off-base. Hill has always been a role-player, put the team above his personal accolades, done the dirty work, and been a good mentor/teammate everywhere he's been.

For Rose to want that type of contract/role, when he plays a totally different game, was admittedly looking out for himself and trying to re-find his place in the league, and go through rehabbing his upcoming surgery, is apples and oranges.

Him going AWOL pretty much guaranteed that no one was going to bring him in for vet leadership. Maybe now, now that he's found his role again, teams can start looking at him as a guy that can help young players develop, but during his time with the Knicks, Rose proved he was not at all ready for that. He was still finding himself.

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks

Posted: Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:05 pm
by Capn'O
Knicksfan1992 wrote:Phil should have just coached the team. It seems like the main issue was people were just uncomfortable with the triangle and didn't know how to run it non robotically... I know physically it would have been tough but he could have done all of the home games plus the atlantic division road games (besides Toronto) which are all just bus rides away. He would have ended up getting like 60 games in and he could have just had Hornacek/Fisher Rambis do the far road games until he felt comfortable enough with their coaching ability and ability to implement his system.


While you're absolutely 100% correct... you know that's how it would have gone.

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks

Posted: Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:10 pm
by HarthorneWingo
dakomish23 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
VECTORMAN wrote:I guess Rose didn't use a ghost writer or a co-author. Not the smoothest read.

But of course... anyone with half a brain knows Melo was probably our biggest problem, despite all of Rose's flaws, despite Noah being too lit, and despite the triangle fiasco. I've always maintained, it was Melo's refusal to share the ball that doomed us more than anything. No defense and no teamwork from your "best player" = no chance.


Haha, I had written that myself in my OP but then decided to see what others had to say first. It was so poorly written. :rofl: Just a bunch of stream of consciousness thoughts put together which weren't coherent for all of the reasons posted in this thread by everyone here.

For me, I just liked reading the Melo parts because they support my narrative of what I've been complaining of during his tenure. Couldn't agree with you more on him. Too bad you never got to meat one on former Melo supporter who is no longer with us. :crazy: (This just happens to be the color of the emoji. I didn't change it, I swear. It only comes in green.)


Everyone knows why you started the thread :lol:


What? Who? :lol:

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks

Posted: Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:13 pm
by Capn'O
2010 wrote:The ghostwriter is Sam Smith. A decorated author. He wrote "The Jordan Rules" among other best sellers. He has covered the Chicago Bulls for many years.


Poor Sam Smith.

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks

Posted: Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:23 pm
by Jeff Van Gully
HarthorneWingo wrote:This will be fun

https://nypost.com/2019/09/07/derrick-rose-phil-jacksons-meddling-doomed-my-knicks/

Steve Mills is talking all this black dude stuff with me, like we’re brothers and all this. He’s saying that s–t, making me think it’s going to make us closer. Come on, be yourself.


Image

Spoiler:
Image

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks

Posted: Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:23 pm
by prophet_of_rage
Derrick Rose is ghetto. That doesn't mean Black. The two are not synonymous. Steve Mills is pro-Black but not ghetto. Talking Black stuff doesn't mean he was out there "Yo yo yo, my G, what's really poppin' right now?"

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks

Posted: Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:38 pm
by blueNorange
dakomish23 wrote:How are you not taking away the obvious delusion of DRose???????

because what he said about melo is the very reason gm's refuse to sign him, coaches don't want to bother coaching him.

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks

Posted: Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:38 pm
by Knicksfan1992
Deeeez Knicks wrote:It really was a disaster and doomed from the start. In a way it was different, but also the same as many of our other disasters. There is a common theme with all of them.


The only redeeming part about Phil's tenure compared to say Isiah's or Walsh's was that he didn't completely kill our future in the process. He kept our picks and the only thing we really have left is the stupid Noah cap hold which is peanuts compared to previous regimes and something we can work around.

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks

Posted: Mon Sep 9, 2019 5:02 pm
by blueNorange
prophet_of_rage wrote:Derrick Rose is ghetto. That doesn't mean Black. The two are not synonymous. Steve Mills is pro-Black but not ghetto. Talking Black stuff doesn't mean he was out there "Yo yo yo, my G, what's really poppin' right now?"

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk

i hope people didn't think this, and if so shame on them.

clearly what rose meant was because they're both black, mills assumed rose would be with open arms when it's still a "i don't really know you" thing.

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks

Posted: Mon Sep 9, 2019 5:13 pm
by prophet_of_rage
blueNorange wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:Derrick Rose is ghetto. That doesn't mean Black. The two are not synonymous. Steve Mills is pro-Black but not ghetto. Talking Black stuff doesn't mean he was out there "Yo yo yo, my G, what's really poppin' right now?"

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk

i hope people didn't think this, and if so shame on them.

clearly what rose meant was because they're both black, mills assumed rose would be with open arms when it's still a "i don't really know you" thing.


I don't think that's what Derrick meant at all. He wouldn't have said be yourself. And everybody jumping on it to say ... see Mills sucks. Is ignoring that Mills has always been very pro-Black and this is not a facade.

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks

Posted: Mon Sep 9, 2019 5:15 pm
by dakomish23
blueNorange wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:How are you not taking away the obvious delusion of DRose???????

because what he said about melo is the very reason gm's refuse to sign him, coaches don't want to bother coaching him.


So you ignore the obvious delusion of the source to take the part that matches your beliefs?

Very on brand for you

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks

Posted: Mon Sep 9, 2019 6:15 pm
by Jeff Van Gully
prophet_of_rage wrote:
Stannis wrote:
HerSports85 wrote:
And exactly WTF is wrong with Mills quote on quote talking “black dude stuff”?

Ugh NVM let me just get out this thread

Nothing wrong with it at all.

It just seems silly that Mills thinks that's going to make him closer to players.

As Rose said, just be yourself.
Why isn't that Mills? Maybe you haven't noticed but since he took over the Knicks have been pretty Black. They are the only all Black front office. Just because he went to Princeton doesn't mean he isn't down.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk


i didn't take rose's comment to be a question of mills' blackness. i just thought it was funny that he shut him down by suggesting it takes more than black people talk to truly connect. if that's what he meant, i agree with it.

i just thought the word choice was a takedown that made me chuckle a bit. it is obvious that steve mills and the knicks FO are about supporting and empowering black people, which is something i am pleased with.

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks

Posted: Mon Sep 9, 2019 6:16 pm
by Jeff Van Gully
prophet_of_rage wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:Derrick Rose is ghetto. That doesn't mean Black. The two are not synonymous. Steve Mills is pro-Black but not ghetto. Talking Black stuff doesn't mean he was out there "Yo yo yo, my G, what's really poppin' right now?"

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk

i hope people didn't think this, and if so shame on them.

clearly what rose meant was because they're both black, mills assumed rose would be with open arms when it's still a "i don't really know you" thing.


I don't think that's what Derrick meant at all. He wouldn't have said be yourself. And everybody jumping on it to say ... see Mills sucks. Is ignoring that Mills has always been very pro-Black and this is not a facade.


i took "be yourself" to mean, lead with who you are and not pro-black pandering. :dontknow:

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks

Posted: Mon Sep 9, 2019 6:17 pm
by Jeff Van Gully
Capn'O wrote:
2010 wrote:The ghostwriter is Sam Smith. A decorated author. He wrote "The Jordan Rules" among other best sellers. He has covered the Chicago Bulls for many years.


Poor Sam Smith.


wait... someone was paid to write this? i thought i just read a punctuated social media post from derrick rose.

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks

Posted: Mon Sep 9, 2019 6:25 pm
by blueNorange
dakomish23 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:How are you not taking away the obvious delusion of DRose???????

because what he said about melo is the very reason gm's refuse to sign him, coaches don't want to bother coaching him.


So you ignore the obvious delusion of the source to take the part that matches your beliefs?

Very on brand for you

what team is carmelo anthony currently on??

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks

Posted: Mon Sep 9, 2019 6:33 pm
by King of Canada
He should have named it "We Men"

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks

Posted: Mon Sep 9, 2019 6:46 pm
by god shammgod
blueNorange wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:because what he said about melo is the very reason gm's refuse to sign him, coaches don't want to bother coaching him.


So you ignore the obvious delusion of the source to take the part that matches your beliefs?

Very on brand for you

what team is carmelo anthony currently on??


he's 35. that might have something to do with it too.

the nerve of some of you to try to win this discussion by waiting until he's aged out of the league to say "see i was right". :lol:

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks

Posted: Mon Sep 9, 2019 6:49 pm
by blueNorange
god shammgod wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
So you ignore the obvious delusion of the source to take the part that matches your beliefs?

Very on brand for you

what team is carmelo anthony currently on??


he's 35. that might have something to do with it too.

the nerve of some of you to try to win this discussion by waiting until he's aged out of the league to say "see i was right". :lol:

you're the one who's waited till he's aged to use it as an excuse.

the nba was done with melo 2 years ago.