ImageImageImageImageImage

Enes Kanter interview with Howard Beck

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,219

Re: Enes Kanter interview with Howard Beck 

Post#81 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:47 am

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
it's not playing devils advocate because i'm not arguing against anything. i'm simply stating that luck is the most important factor.

But it's not the most important factor. It's just another factor. It has been pointed out...well run teams...in positon to succeed...benefit greater from luck than poorly run teams. We lucked into KP...and he's gone after 2 years. Craptors lucked into Kawhi..and won a title. It could be argued luck is not as important as being a well run team.

Scout well...draft well...make smart trades and FA deals...have a good coach. That's usually the foundation for success. Lottery luck is involved. Teams staying healthy is a big plus. If you don't do anything well...players don't want to come....the team most likely sucks. Then when luck comes along...its usually bad. Look at this franchise since the Ewing trade.

Sure luck is a part of it. So is knowing how to run a team. So is knowing how to coach a team.

I think you are both making decent points, but it still feels like there are some factors that aren't really being revealed.

Try it this way? Take any football (soccer) league around the world. The #1, overriding determining factor is 'amount of money spent on salaries'. (Basically player salaries, because the salaries for the coach, FO, physios, tea-ladies, gate-staff pale into insignificance .. but actually those also fall in line with wealth.)

Same thing for rugby. Sort of the same thing for cycling. Surely the same thing for Euro-basket.

Now. The NBA has the salary cap, and caps on players wages. But having the team that in an cap-free market would have the highest total salary is, presumably, going to *on average* be the most important thing.

Question is: how to achieve that, even if you are the NYK and actually do have the most financial resources of any team in the league.

Subsidiary question: let's posit that Houston is the equivalent of Bayern Munich. If Harden was a soccer player would he want to be traded (transferred) to Real Madrid (LALakers) (ignoring who the other players on the Lakers actually are - just taking it as storied and not a worse situation - even though this particular year that might not be 100% true) more than he would as a basketball player or less?

:eek1:
:beer: RIP mags
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,443

Re: Enes Kanter interview with Howard Beck 

Post#82 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:58 am

I’m so glad I started this thread

:P
Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks