ImageImageImageImageImage

All Things Fiz: Past, Present, Future

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,285

Re: All Things Fiz: Past, Present, Future 

Post#181 » by Zenzibar » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:07 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:

Mind over-reacted a bit, ok perhaps.

Just that I like the explosive chemistry on this team.. Collectively, the Knicks bench is much younger, deeper and athletic than the Nets.

Long term, they may have us, lets see.

But this year, why can't we have the deeper team of players?

Compare the rosters. I haven't done that yet. I don't care what the Nets are doing.

it's just that the narrative has no basis.
MadGrinch
Veteran
And1: 412

Post#182 » by MadGrinch » Fri Oct 4, 2019 8:20 pm

To hear Fizdale’s quotes it sounds like he will favor defenders and players who can run the offense he wants to install.

If you put in a press or a defense that requires you make you hound the ballhandler 94 almost always requires a faster pace and a deeper rotation.

He may go 11 or 12 deep to keep bodies fresh
Its because I'm green isn't it?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#183 » by blueNorange » Fri Oct 4, 2019 8:31 pm

you ain't winning chit playing 11-12 deep, they'll never get any cohesion.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,483

Post#184 » by CharlesOakley » Fri Oct 4, 2019 8:50 pm

Fiz said the exact same things last season...
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,389

Post#185 » by NYKat » Fri Oct 4, 2019 9:50 pm

CharlesOakley wrote:Fiz said the exact same things last season...

Yup, and he started the season playing vets and trying to compete but...

In late December when we were how many games under .500 and the playoffs were a long shot, the strategy suddenly changes to player development (i.e. tanking), because, you know... Zion...

I don’t think that that’ll happen this year because of the new lottery odds which don’t reward tanking as much
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#186 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Oct 4, 2019 10:39 pm

I'm not out on fiz by any means because I want continuity, and overall he did a "fine" job all things considered last season. My few gripes:

- His refusal to give frank consistent minutes and clearly having the shortest leash on the roster. We can acknowledge this fact and still consider frank's play a disappointment.

- Allowing THJ to play through plantar fasciitis when the only way to heal is with rest. The guy was literally shooting low 30s from the field for a stretch taking the most shots on the team! And his minutes didn't even decrease at all. This constant theme of stubborn coaches is wild.

- As the polar opposite of frank, it didn't matter what knox did out there, he still played. Knox very clearly hit a rookie wall mid season and it would've been beneficial to at least reduce his minutes and give him a rest. Knox had a 23 game stretch (started every game) where he put up 11.4 PPG on 32.1% from the field (41.8% TS) in 29 MPG! Not being able to hit a shot has to kill your confidence, and fiz seemingly ignored that completely.

All that said, this is what I want to see from him this season:

- Show us some sort of gameplan instead of throwing guys out there and running a motion offense (how about spamming spread P&R anyone?!). They definitely have more shooters this year, so putting an emphasis on drive and kick should be important. This is why I hope DSJ starts.

- Figure out a rotation sooner rather than later. I don't envy his job here at all figuring it out, but figure out what works best and stick with it as best you can.

- Talk is kinda cheap with him. If you're going to preach this and that, then do it.

I don't expect many wins this season, but I'm really looking forward to seeing all these guys play. I hope fiz is up to the task.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,195

Post#187 » by Kampuchea » Fri Oct 4, 2019 10:45 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:

Mind over-reacted a bit, ok perhaps.

Just that I like the explosive chemistry on this team.. Collectively, the Knicks bench is much younger, deeper and athletic than the Nets.

Long term, they may have us, lets see.

But this year, why can't we have the deeper team of players?

Compare the rosters. I haven't done that yet. I don't care what the Nets are doing.

Just to confirm, you feel there is no basis to say the Nets are a better team? I think that's what you are saying but don't want to believe it.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,285

Post#188 » by Zenzibar » Fri Oct 4, 2019 10:54 pm

Kampuchea wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

Just to confirm, you feel there is no basis to say the Nets are a better team? I think that's what you are saying but don't want to believe it.

Nah Bro, on the contrary. This Knicks team has a decent chance of taking the season series from the Nets.

That was taken out of context and the full thread is not there.

Return to New York Knicks