ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Crypto, Stocks, Bonds, Real Estate, Investments, IRAs & Finances, etc.

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,975

Re: OT: Investment Thread (Stocks, Crypto, Bonds, IRAs, etc.) 

Post#21 » by Stannis » Thu Oct 3, 2019 2:33 am

ZKnicks wrote:Buy some Bitcoin
Lock it up in cold storage
Don’t touch it for 7-10 years
Retire

Would you use coinbase or bitstamp?

Or does it not matter?
Free Palestine
ZKnicks
Junior
And1: 276

Post#22 » by ZKnicks » Thu Oct 3, 2019 3:46 am

Stannis wrote:Would you use coinbase or bitstamp?

Or does it not matter?

I was partially kidding. I personally am a crypto believer, but do your research to see if you feel the same.
I’m a fan of Gemini. Especially if you are in NY.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,348

Post#23 » by Phish Tank » Thu Oct 3, 2019 3:59 am

i really wish I knew and was more comfortable about crypto. But I just can't take that risk on right now.

As for the platforms, I also use BOA/Merrill, but I've jumped around some. I use Merrill for investing in ETFs mostly. I got a work 401k and I got an IRA setup a long while ago by the family. In addition to those, I have an account with TD Ameritrade (or what was once known as Scottrade). Kept a little bit of money there when I used to invest spare money for fun in college. Now it's just used for individual stocks.

The vaping crackdown killed the value of one of my best investments though from college (Altria). Bought it at $16 and saw it rise to like $70 at one point (granted only like 10 shares or so). Selling it off soon though
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,217

Post#24 » by aq_ua » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:06 am

I guess this could be the first time in history that all stocks go down and stay there. I suppose it's technically possible. I wouldn't bet on that though.
Boss_
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 233

Post#25 » by Boss_ » Thu Oct 3, 2019 9:06 am

I always used etrade..
But sold off when I got married, was up, made a few bucks didnt put more than 20k; recieved dividends for a few years off it as well
Id rather pay off my house and my truck about 200k in debt right now..
I have a kid now when he starts school that will be expensive so set aside some money for that

I just have a few 1oz physical gold bars I baught at spot+50, about 15oz...and 400ish oz of silver left
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 7,986

Post#26 » by ITGM » Thu Oct 3, 2019 12:23 pm

Stannis wrote:
Retire

Or does it not matter?

Use Coinbase: they're extremely safe, a creditable U.S company, and they're insured by the FDIC.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#27 » by Stannis » Thu Oct 3, 2019 3:40 pm

Are treasury or municipal bonds even worth it anymore?
Free Palestine
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,070

GONYK Game Notes: Die Another Day 

Post#28 » by GONYK » Thu Oct 3, 2019 3:49 pm

Phish Tank wrote:i really wish I knew and was more comfortable about crypto. But I just can't take that risk on right now.

As for the platforms, I also use BOA/Merrill, but I've jumped around some. I use Merrill for investing in ETFs mostly. I got a work 401k and I got an IRA setup a long while ago by the family. In addition to those, I have an account with TD Ameritrade (or what was once known as Scottrade). Kept a little bit of money there when I used to invest spare money for fun in college. Now it's just used for individual stocks.

The vaping crackdown killed the value of one of my best investments though from college (Altria). Bought it at $16 and saw it rise to like $70 at one point (granted only like 10 shares or so). Selling it off soon though

No matter how much I've looked at crypto, it always just seems like speculating and not investing. Not worth it IMO, but the blockchain technology is worth investing in.
Ville5
Sophomore
And1: 313

Post#29 » by Ville5 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:17 pm

I would not touch bitcoin. I agree with GONYK, it's just speculating.

Stocks are good for long term. Preferably low cost index funds.

But at the moment most of my money is invested into P2P lending. 10 platforms in total (for diversification mostly). They all reside in Europe, though, and almost all of them require a European bank account. German investors love them and so do I. Getting 14% a year is much better than stocks.

I'm going to name some of the platforms so you can google them if you're interested: Mintos, Crowdestor, Viainvest, Grupeer, Wisefund, Iuvo group, Estateguru, Robocash, Envestio, Bondster, etc.
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,487

Post#30 » by CharlesOakley » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:23 pm

If you are interested in long-term investing, read "The Intelligent Investor", which was written by Buffet's mentor.
Stannis
RealGM

Re: GONYK Game Notes: Die Another Day 

Post#31 » by Stannis » Thu Oct 3, 2019 5:35 pm

GONYK wrote:No matter how much I've looked at crypto, it always just seems like speculating and not investing. Not worth it IMO, but the blockchain technology is worth investing in.

That's what I've been doing. At least I'm getting in on some of the bitcoin traffic.
Free Palestine
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#32 » by Jose7 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 5:58 pm

Anyone have any good resources for REITs?
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
Stannis
RealGM

Post#33 » by Stannis » Thu Oct 3, 2019 7:02 pm

ITGM wrote:
Stannis wrote:
Retire

Or does it not matter?

Use Coinbase: they're extremely safe, a creditable U.S company, and they're insured by the FDIC.

If you have referral link let me know.

Or if anybody else does, let me know. It's only a 10 buck bonus, but why not lol.

I'm going to put 100 bucks in just for fun.
Free Palestine
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 7,986

Post#34 » by ITGM » Thu Oct 3, 2019 7:20 pm

Stannis wrote:
ITGM wrote:
Stannis wrote:Would you use coinbase or bitstamp?

Or does it not matter?

Or if anybody else does, let me know. It's only a 10 buck bonus, but why not lol.

I got you, Bro.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#35 » by Stannis » Thu Oct 3, 2019 8:49 pm

ITGM wrote:
Stannis wrote:
ITGM wrote:

I got you, Bro:

Thanks!
Free Palestine
ccvle
Head Coach
And1: 1,714

Post#36 » by ccvle » Fri Oct 4, 2019 12:08 am

ITGM wrote:
Stannis wrote:
Retire

Or does it not matter?

Your USD is insured by fdic , digital currency is not.
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,217

Post#37 » by aq_ua » Fri Oct 4, 2019 1:11 am

CharlesOakley wrote:If you are interested in long-term investing, read "The Intelligent Investor", which was written by Buffet's mentor.

It's interesting you say that because that's what led me to start studying factor investing.
If you perform regression analysis and use "value" and "profitability" as the regression factor, it basically explains away the outperformance of value investing. Therefore - in theory - simply buying an ETF catering to value and profitability as the factors instead of just market beta - you should be able to get the same results. Of course, Buffet is a whole other beast in terms of his ability to get off market deals and hence impossible to replicate as an individual investors, but the theory should remain the same.
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.139.5892&rep=rep1&type=pdf
Stannis
RealGM

Post#38 » by Stannis » Sat Oct 5, 2019 11:53 pm

Anyone here used the American Express High Yield savings account? It's at 1.90%.

If recommended, should I do their standard Savings Account or their CD accounts. I don't think their CD Accounts are worth it for the extra 0.10 - 0.25% interest, but for their locked in rates. The standard Savings Accounts rate can change, but I'm sure they are flexible with withdrawals.

I'm still new to investing so I feel comfortable having a significant amount that is FDIC insured but also collect some interest.

My savings at BoA doesn't collect anything at all. I guess they are trying to encourage investing in their Merrill accounts, and I'm sure being a physical bank means they can't offer good interest rates on a savings.
Free Palestine
Slicin N Dicin
Veteran
And1: 2,276

Post#39 » by Slicin N Dicin » Sun Oct 6, 2019 12:16 am

Stannis wrote:Anyone here used the American Express High Yield savings account? It's at 1.90%.

If recommended, should I do their standard Savings Account or their CD accounts. I don't think their CD Accounts are worth it for the extra 0.10 - 0.25% interest, but for their locked in rates. The standard Savings Accounts rate can change, but I'm sure they are flexible with withdrawals.

I'm still new to investing so I feel comfortable having a significant amount that is FDIC insured but also collect some interest.

My savings at BoA doesn't collect anything at all. I guess they are trying to encourage investing in their Merrill accounts, and I'm sure being a physical bank means they can't offer good interest rates on a savings.

I do theirs and a separate Barclays savings account that's at 2.10%. Had one set up.before marriage and wife and I set up the other one while dating. Nice addition to other investment vehicles giving you the flexibility to liquidate quick if needed but we leave one alone and the other will be used sporadically in the future
BaF 1.0 - Bucks: Inaugural BaF Champs 2018

It's Been Real BaF!

Check out the No Blood No Foul Podcast below with your boys from Real GM:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
Stannis
RealGM

Post#40 » by Stannis » Sun Oct 6, 2019 4:37 am

Slicin N Dicin wrote:
Stannis wrote:Anyone here used the American Express High Yield savings account? It's at 1.90%.

I do theirs and a separate Barclays savings account that's at 2.10%. Had one set up.before marriage and wife and I set up the other one while dating. Nice addition to other investment vehicles giving you the flexibility to liquidate quick if needed but we leave one alone and the other will be used sporadically in the future

Thanks bud! Quick question, do you know if your CD accounts and saving accounts are in your same logon for AMEX or do you have to keep them separate?

Barclays is showing just at 2.00 for me. I might go with AMEX b/c they have better customer service, and I've dealt with them before. If I really want the extra interest, I can try their CDs.

I just found out Discover has a high yield savings account too. And they offer bonuses, so I might consider that too. But they require some hefty minimums for the bonus and their CDs.
Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks