ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Crypto, Stocks, Bonds, Real Estate, Investments, IRAs & Finances, etc.

Moderators: NoLayupRule, Deeeez Knicks, GONYK, K-DOT, Capn'O, mrpoetryNmotion, Jeff Van Gully, j4remi, King of Canada, mpharris36, Thugger HBC

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 23,874
And1: 18,989
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
     

Re: OT: Investment Thread (Stocks, Crypto, Bonds, IRAs, etc.) & Finances 

Post#481 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:14 am

Stannis wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Stannis wrote:What is everyone doing with all these ATHs?

I quit bonds in my 401k and put it into a commodity fund.

I'm 50/50 on Big Tech and the other half in metal producers with some miners. Mostly in Steel stocks atm.


nice bump!

i am going to merge crypto thread part 2 into this one.
Wasn't trying to backseat mod. I actually just thought we were going to have 2 threads for now :lol: . I didn't want an investment thread taking from the Crypto talks.

Crypto heads, yall still going to post here?

EDIT:

I changed my thread title so Crypto was listed first.


didn't see it that way at all! plus the original thread included crypto. i think we'll be good with everything here... again.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 23,874
And1: 18,989
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
     

Re: OT: Cryptocurrency Thread 2 

Post#482 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:17 am

br7knicks wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
HighRyzer83 wrote:Yeah I copped ada when it was just under a dollar. Very profitable. That coin has all kinds of potential, and it's 3rd gen technology blockchain. Unlike BTC for example, which is only valuable due to scarcity.
I just wish I bought much more ADA, but I played it safe :/


you don 't think ADA is going to continue to climb? maybe not the most aggressive play for the risk, but couldn't you see ADA at $5 or more in the next handful of years? just curious.


thought about what you said with ADA continuing to climb. i accidentally timed it well this morning, and bought 150 more of them when it dipped to $2.54 earlier today.


most of what i know came from this thread. i can't act like i know what i'm talking about. but this just seems like one of those that should continue to climb based on its utility. i think you're making a good choice there.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
User avatar
Garbagelo
Starter
Posts: 2,436
And1: 2,656
Joined: Jul 17, 2015

Re: OT: Investment Thread (Stocks, Crypto, Bonds, IRAs, etc.) & Finances 

Post#483 » by Garbagelo » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:34 am

Stannis wrote:
Garbagelo wrote:
Stannis wrote:What is everyone doing with all these ATHs?

I quit bonds in my 401k and put it into a commodity fund.

I'm 50/50 on Big Tech and the other half in metal producers with some miners. Mostly in Steel stocks atm.


Cathie Wood is expecting deflation to happen before long

Watch this video, she is on point with many topics here



Personally, I have been averaging into some bond funds myself as a contrarian trade and have abandoned the commodity trade for the time being after watching this about 1 week ago

Also the news in China is actually quite deflationary as well


I'll watch when I get time. Did she address Michael Burry shorting ARK ETFs?

I'm still a commodity bull. Have you seen the earnings of these steel companies? And Steel futures?

I think it will only get better (from these companies' perspective) with the Afghanistan crisis.


Steel seems to be in it's own secular bull market which happens from time to time

Now, look at lumber, gold, copper, uranium, even livestock and grains, all have crashed 10-20% or more in the past few months.

Although I have exited the majority of my commodity trades for a while now, it did not seem to fit with the narrative that the media has been trying to spew that inflation was going crazy

It finally made sense after I watched the video above and why it's quite possible we are going into a deflationary trend going forward
User avatar
HighRyzer83
General Manager
Posts: 8,930
And1: 2,022
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: Fan on Fire

Re: OT: Cryptocurrency Thread 2 

Post#484 » by HighRyzer83 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:53 am

br7knicks wrote:plus, as i stated in a post earlier, i'm incredibly pessimistic. i think the market is going to crash/correct/dip really hard soon. so i'd rather buy when prices have dropped

Oh it's going to dip, but it shouldn't effect covered call ETFs too much. By design, covered call options can actually thrive during volatility. But yeah I'm also loading up for the correction, while trading in Roth IRA to avoid the taxes.
User avatar
HighRyzer83
General Manager
Posts: 8,930
And1: 2,022
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: Fan on Fire

Re: OT: Cryptocurrency Thread 2 

Post#485 » by HighRyzer83 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:59 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
HighRyzer83 wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

what do you think of BCH? I have some money I was going to throw into that.

I was wrong about ETH, and was expecting a major drop, where I was going to buy a bunch more.


btw, i have a few hundred ADA. not sure what DOT is. Thought about getting more ADA, but it's taking off right now

Yeah I copped ada when it was just under a dollar. Very profitable. That coin has all kinds of potential, and it's 3rd gen technology blockchain. Unlike BTC for example, which is only valuable due to scarcity.
I just wish I bought much more ADA, but I played it safe :/


you don 't think ADA is going to continue to climb? maybe not the most aggressive play for the risk, but couldn't you see ADA at $5 or more in the next handful of years? just curious.

I think it will make it to 5 much sooner than a handful of years. ADA has another major upgrade coming up to speed up transactions exponentially. This will likely shoot it past ATH.

But the reason it's growing at this rapid pace is the development of smart contracts, which takes effect end of this month. After the smart contracts fever dies down, I could see it correcting before regaining momentum again.
User avatar
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,684
And1: 4,914
Joined: May 08, 2002
Location: Optimistic but realistic

Re: OT: Cryptocurrency Thread 2 

Post#486 » by aq_ua » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:32 am

HighRyzer83 wrote:
br7knicks wrote:plus, as i stated in a post earlier, i'm incredibly pessimistic. i think the market is going to crash/correct/dip really hard soon. so i'd rather buy when prices have dropped

Oh it's going to dip, but it shouldn't effect covered call ETFs too much. By design, covered call options can actually thrive during volatility. But yeah I'm also loading up for the correction, while trading in Roth IRA to avoid the taxes.

This is a Canada focused podcast, but they do a great job of breaking down the actual statistics and data around popular strategies like buying the dip. It's admittedly a little dry, but it's a nice way of testing commonly held beliefs and whether historical performance actually bears these beliefs out.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/buying-the-dip/id1426530582?i=1000516264516
User avatar
ITGM
RealGM
Posts: 19,044
And1: 7,561
Joined: Jan 16, 2008

Re: OT: Crypto, Stocks, Bonds, Real Estate, Investments, IRAs & Finances, etc. 

Post#487 » by ITGM » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:52 am

Approaching the golden .618 fibonacci level

Image
User avatar
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
Posts: 33,034
And1: 9,096
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
     

Re: OT: Investment Thread (Stocks, Crypto, Bonds, IRAs, etc.) & Finances 

Post#488 » by br7knicks » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:15 am

Stannis wrote:
Garbagelo wrote:
Stannis wrote:What is everyone doing with all these ATHs?

I quit bonds in my 401k and put it into a commodity fund.

I'm 50/50 on Big Tech and the other half in metal producers with some miners. Mostly in Steel stocks atm.


Cathie Wood is expecting deflation to happen before long

Watch this video, she is on point with many topics here



Personally, I have been averaging into some bond funds myself as a contrarian trade and have abandoned the commodity trade for the time being after watching this about 1 week ago

Also the news in China is actually quite deflationary as well


I'll watch when I get time. Did she address Michael Burry shorting ARK ETFs?

I'm still a commodity bull. Have you seen the earnings of these steel companies? And Steel futures?

I think it will only get better (from these companies' perspective) with the Afghanistan crisis.



3 of my main 5 growth ETFs are ARKX, ARKQ, and ARKF (VUG, VBK). i didn't realize he shorted those. he's usually spot on with his shorts. i know woods thinks that we're not in a bubble, and we're still only headed up - i believe more along with what you believe, right? i know woods is really smart, and i trust her more than most people.

i started to watch the video, but she does way too much lip smacking for me, which gets me irrationally irritated lol.
RIP, magnumt '19
BAF Streams: https://www.twitch.tv/br7knicks

PG: Jackson/Rubio/MCW
SG: Butler/Lamb/Valentine
SF: Hayward/Anderson/K Morris
PF: Horford/C Morris/Chriss
C: Kanter/Bradley/WCS
User avatar
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
Posts: 33,034
And1: 9,096
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
     

Re: OT: Investment Thread (Stocks, Crypto, Bonds, IRAs, etc.) & Finances 

Post#489 » by br7knicks » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:17 am

Stannis wrote:
br7knicks wrote:ahh.

well, as i've stated, i am fully committed to believing there will be a huge correction, crash, or drop. i'm just hoarding as many dividends and savings as i can for it, then throwing as much as i can into it.

these small dips are actually discouraging. i see 2-3 days of major dips(i see 1-5% each day) then a spike back up. just **** drop already :lol:

I don't think there will be a crash anytime soon. Too much money waiting on the sidelines waiting to buy the dip.

There's just more that can go right than wrong imo.


and you may be right. my dad, who has invested very well and consistently the last 40 years, is in your boat. again, i will continue to throw $100 each week into my M1 Finance - where my growth ETFs are. but i'm still going to keep hoarding my Robinhood dividends and throw in when i think there's a major dip.

wish i shared your optimism.
RIP, magnumt '19
BAF Streams: https://www.twitch.tv/br7knicks

PG: Jackson/Rubio/MCW
SG: Butler/Lamb/Valentine
SF: Hayward/Anderson/K Morris
PF: Horford/C Morris/Chriss
C: Kanter/Bradley/WCS
User avatar
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
Posts: 33,034
And1: 9,096
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
     

Re: OT: Investment Thread (Stocks, Crypto, Bonds, IRAs, etc.) & Finances 

Post#490 » by br7knicks » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:18 am

Stannis wrote:
aq_ua wrote:
Stannis wrote:What is everyone doing with all these ATHs?

I quit bonds in my 401k and put it into a commodity fund.

I'm 50/50 on Big Tech and the other half in metal producers with some miners. Mostly in Steel stocks atm.

It's a funny thing, these all time highs. If you actually track the number of times any asset hits an all time high, it's pretty common. Like, it happens all the time. All time highs happen all the time. If you're investing for the long-term (which investing should be by definition...) then there's really no reason to react to the concept of an all time high. It just means that inflation and profits > 0%, which should be the case almost all the time.


Very true. But I sell my speculative stuff when they reach new highs and never look back. Merely because I don't feel comfortable holding that kind of stuff.

I'm always contributing to my ETFs and index funds, and my long term holds. Which is prob 90% of my net worth.


yeah, this is what i'm saying. i know you two are right. that's why i'll continue to throw in a small amount each week/month
RIP, magnumt '19
BAF Streams: https://www.twitch.tv/br7knicks

PG: Jackson/Rubio/MCW
SG: Butler/Lamb/Valentine
SF: Hayward/Anderson/K Morris
PF: Horford/C Morris/Chriss
C: Kanter/Bradley/WCS
User avatar
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
Posts: 33,034
And1: 9,096
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
     

Re: OT: Cryptocurrency Thread 2 

Post#491 » by br7knicks » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:21 am

HighRyzer83 wrote:
br7knicks wrote:plus, as i stated in a post earlier, i'm incredibly pessimistic. i think the market is going to crash/correct/dip really hard soon. so i'd rather buy when prices have dropped

Oh it's going to dip, but it shouldn't effect covered call ETFs too much. By design, covered call options can actually thrive during volatility. But yeah I'm also loading up for the correction, while trading in Roth IRA to avoid the taxes.


yeah, i have QYLD and RYLD. i just tried my hand at call options - nothing big, as i just want to make sure i semi-know what i'm doing :lol:
RIP, magnumt '19
BAF Streams: https://www.twitch.tv/br7knicks

PG: Jackson/Rubio/MCW
SG: Butler/Lamb/Valentine
SF: Hayward/Anderson/K Morris
PF: Horford/C Morris/Chriss
C: Kanter/Bradley/WCS
User avatar
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
Posts: 33,034
And1: 9,096
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
     

Re: OT: Cryptocurrency Thread 2 

Post#492 » by br7knicks » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:22 am

HighRyzer83 wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
HighRyzer83 wrote:Yeah I copped ada when it was just under a dollar. Very profitable. That coin has all kinds of potential, and it's 3rd gen technology blockchain. Unlike BTC for example, which is only valuable due to scarcity.
I just wish I bought much more ADA, but I played it safe :/


you don 't think ADA is going to continue to climb? maybe not the most aggressive play for the risk, but couldn't you see ADA at $5 or more in the next handful of years? just curious.

I think it will make it to 5 much sooner than a handful of years. ADA has another major upgrade coming up to speed up transactions exponentially. This will likely shoot it past ATH.

But the reason it's growing at this rapid pace is the development of smart contracts, which takes effect end of this month. After the smart contracts fever dies down, I could see it correcting before regaining momentum again.


yeah, i was reading up on the smart contracts the other day, and that's what made me throw into it.
RIP, magnumt '19
BAF Streams: https://www.twitch.tv/br7knicks

PG: Jackson/Rubio/MCW
SG: Butler/Lamb/Valentine
SF: Hayward/Anderson/K Morris
PF: Horford/C Morris/Chriss
C: Kanter/Bradley/WCS
User avatar
Stannis
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,520
And1: 6,268
Joined: Dec 05, 2011
Location: United States of Space
       

Re: OT: Investment Thread (Stocks, Crypto, Bonds, IRAs, etc.) & Finances 

Post#493 » by Stannis » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:18 pm

br7knicks wrote:
Stannis wrote:
br7knicks wrote:ahh.

well, as i've stated, i am fully committed to believing there will be a huge correction, crash, or drop. i'm just hoarding as many dividends and savings as i can for it, then throwing as much as i can into it.

these small dips are actually discouraging. i see 2-3 days of major dips(i see 1-5% each day) then a spike back up. just **** drop already :lol:

I don't think there will be a crash anytime soon. Too much money waiting on the sidelines waiting to buy the dip.

There's just more that can go right than wrong imo.


and you may be right. my dad, who has invested very well and consistently the last 40 years, is in your boat. again, i will continue to throw $100 each week into my M1 Finance - where my growth ETFs are. but i'm still going to keep hoarding my Robinhood dividends and throw in when i think there's a major dip.

wish i shared your optimism.


haha, I'm as pessimistic as they come. But I just don't think it's worth waiting for a dip. I like Buffett's philosophy that time is the best investing asset.

Of course, still keep enough cash in an emergency fund to keep your sanity and well-being.

EDIT: I like Peter Lynch's philosophy too. Always let your winners win. If you believe in them, you will keep adding to them during dips.
I believe he wasn't educated on the situation. Many people could have been harmed not only financially, physically, emotionally, spiritually. We do have freedom of speech, but there can be a lot of negative that comes with that

- LBJ on Morey + Hong Kong
User avatar
Stannis
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,520
And1: 6,268
Joined: Dec 05, 2011
Location: United States of Space
       

Re: OT: Investment Thread (Stocks, Crypto, Bonds, IRAs, etc.) & Finances 

Post#494 » by Stannis » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:17 pm

Garbagelo wrote:Steel seems to be in it's own secular bull market which happens from time to time

Now, look at lumber, gold, copper, uranium, even livestock and grains, all have crashed 10-20% or more in the past few months.

Although I have exited the majority of my commodity trades for a while now, it did not seem to fit with the narrative that the media has been trying to spew that inflation was going crazy

It finally made sense after I watched the video above and why it's quite possible we are going into a deflationary trend going forward

I've been mostly in steel, aluminum, and copper because I work in HVAC. And I see the consolidation and pricing going on. Copper has dropped, but I anticipate it coming back.

But yeah, the gold and silver trades I've made look like straight fumbles haha
I believe he wasn't educated on the situation. Many people could have been harmed not only financially, physically, emotionally, spiritually. We do have freedom of speech, but there can be a lot of negative that comes with that

- LBJ on Morey + Hong Kong
User avatar
Stannis
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,520
And1: 6,268
Joined: Dec 05, 2011
Location: United States of Space
       

Re: OT: Crypto, Stocks, Bonds, Real Estate, Investments, IRAs & Finances, etc. 

Post#495 » by Stannis » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:26 pm

Been averaging into $F 1/2023 15Cs

Anyone else like Ford here?
I believe he wasn't educated on the situation. Many people could have been harmed not only financially, physically, emotionally, spiritually. We do have freedom of speech, but there can be a lot of negative that comes with that

- LBJ on Morey + Hong Kong
User avatar
Stannis
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,520
And1: 6,268
Joined: Dec 05, 2011
Location: United States of Space
       

Re: OT: Crypto, Stocks, Bonds, Real Estate, Investments, IRAs & Finances, etc. 

Post#496 » by Stannis » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:32 pm

Nvidia has straight up being on a tear. I believe investors are trying to find the next trillion dollar tech company, and Nvidia is the number 1 contender imho.

Last earning reports showcased what they do, which is more than GPUs. They are a very diverse tech company in many sectors. Get Netflix out of FAANG and replace it with Nvidia.
I believe he wasn't educated on the situation. Many people could have been harmed not only financially, physically, emotionally, spiritually. We do have freedom of speech, but there can be a lot of negative that comes with that

- LBJ on Morey + Hong Kong
User avatar
Stannis
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,520
And1: 6,268
Joined: Dec 05, 2011
Location: United States of Space
       

Re: OT: Investment Thread (Stocks, Crypto, Bonds, IRAs, etc.) & Finances 

Post#497 » by Stannis » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:16 pm

br7knicks wrote:3 of my main 5 growth ETFs are ARKX, ARKQ, and ARKF (VUG, VBK). i didn't realize he shorted those. he's usually spot on with his shorts. i know woods thinks that we're not in a bubble, and we're still only headed up - i believe more along with what you believe, right? i know woods is really smart, and i trust her more than most people.

i started to watch the video, but she does way too much lip smacking for me, which gets me irrationally irritated lol.


It's a tough one. Burry is really old school and chases value. And he's always been super bearish. Technically, yes, he might be right. But imo, saying there will be a crash is still wrong if you've been saying it for years. Peter Schiff is the same way. He might be right, and I'm sure he will throw it in our face if a crash does happen. But he's been saying it for close to a decade now.

Unless we are rich, we really can't afford to sit on a pile of cash and wait for a golden opportunity. Inflation will just kick our ass. Consistency with stability is probably our safest bet.

I might jump in on ARKK as a long term hold in my HSA. I currently just hold $VNQ in my HSA and auto invest the dividends. Or I might just do QQQ instead of ARKK. I like Cathie. But not sure I know much about her ETFs to be comfortable with long holds
I believe he wasn't educated on the situation. Many people could have been harmed not only financially, physically, emotionally, spiritually. We do have freedom of speech, but there can be a lot of negative that comes with that

- LBJ on Morey + Hong Kong
Metta World WAR
Junior
Posts: 300
And1: 328
Joined: Jul 21, 2017
 

Re: OT: Crypto, Stocks, Bonds, Real Estate, Investments, IRAs & Finances, etc. 

Post#498 » by Metta World WAR » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:01 pm

Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter



Mark Cuban going at the head of the SEC. 2 months ago I knew nothing of the stock market. What an education this has been, following AMC/GME. (moreso AMC)
User avatar
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
Posts: 33,034
And1: 9,096
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
     

Re: OT: Investment Thread (Stocks, Crypto, Bonds, IRAs, etc.) & Finances 

Post#499 » by br7knicks » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:36 pm

Stannis wrote:
br7knicks wrote:
Stannis wrote:I don't think there will be a crash anytime soon. Too much money waiting on the sidelines waiting to buy the dip.

There's just more that can go right than wrong imo.


and you may be right. my dad, who has invested very well and consistently the last 40 years, is in your boat. again, i will continue to throw $100 each week into my M1 Finance - where my growth ETFs are. but i'm still going to keep hoarding my Robinhood dividends and throw in when i think there's a major dip.

wish i shared your optimism.


haha, I'm as pessimistic as they come. But I just don't think it's worth waiting for a dip. I like Buffett's philosophy that time is the best investing asset.

Of course, still keep enough cash in an emergency fund to keep your sanity and well-being.

EDIT: I like Peter Lynch's philosophy too. Always let your winners win. If you believe in them, you will keep adding to them during dips.


yeah, i know you're right, especially with the buffet thing. that's why i'll continue to put $100 into M1 Finance every week, where my ARK and Vanguard growth ETFs are.


but i also know the buffet saying: be scared when others are greedy, and greedy when others are scared. i just feel like there are too many retail investors who are jacking up the price (they're being greedy).
RIP, magnumt '19
BAF Streams: https://www.twitch.tv/br7knicks

PG: Jackson/Rubio/MCW
SG: Butler/Lamb/Valentine
SF: Hayward/Anderson/K Morris
PF: Horford/C Morris/Chriss
C: Kanter/Bradley/WCS
User avatar
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
Posts: 33,034
And1: 9,096
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
     

Re: OT: Investment Thread (Stocks, Crypto, Bonds, IRAs, etc.) & Finances 

Post#500 » by br7knicks » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:38 pm

Stannis wrote:
Garbagelo wrote:Steel seems to be in it's own secular bull market which happens from time to time

Now, look at lumber, gold, copper, uranium, even livestock and grains, all have crashed 10-20% or more in the past few months.

Although I have exited the majority of my commodity trades for a while now, it did not seem to fit with the narrative that the media has been trying to spew that inflation was going crazy

It finally made sense after I watched the video above and why it's quite possible we are going into a deflationary trend going forward

I've been mostly in steel, aluminum, and copper because I work in HVAC. And I see the consolidation and pricing going on. Copper has dropped, but I anticipate it coming back.

But yeah, the gold and silver trades I've made look like straight fumbles haha


i have HL and GPL, as well as IAUF. been getting hammered.
RIP, magnumt '19
BAF Streams: https://www.twitch.tv/br7knicks

PG: Jackson/Rubio/MCW
SG: Butler/Lamb/Valentine
SF: Hayward/Anderson/K Morris
PF: Horford/C Morris/Chriss
C: Kanter/Bradley/WCS

Return to New York Knicks