ImageImageImageImageImage

PG Thread: Time to overreact

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,046

GONYK Game Notes: Die Another Day 

Post#721 » by GONYK » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:12 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:Erhem....

It’s way too early for this Randle is a bad defender talk. I can understand some wanting to set that narrative already but dude literally hasn’t sweated out his first nyc pizza. I think this is a discussion you can maybe start having 15-20 regular season games on not after first preseason game.

Yikes!!!

P.S. and before y’all bring it up, I know his past and I realize he’s had issues on defense with other teams but you gotta give dude the benefit of the doubt at this point. Give him a chance at least to prove you wrong.

So 310 games isn't a big enough sample size, but 330 is?

Nobody is saying he can't improve, but becoming a solid defender would be reversing a career trend.
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,820

Re: PG Thread: Time to overreact 

Post#722 » by spree2kawhi » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:46 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:It's incredible. Frank Ntilikina now has me curious for years already. I don't think he has the talent to make it in the league - not the handle, not the explosiveness at all, not even the on-the-ball skill level of almost any other two-way player around the league - but I want to know if he can make it in the league more than watching any game including the Wolves, Suns, Hawks, Pels, Lakers and so many more. I'm rooting for him and tuning in those meaningless games because of his demeanor and approach and because I can't believe he's still around.

Then again his defense is off the charts compared to virtually any shooting guard in the league and that's what I always valued the most when I played. But that's his only skill if you don't count his shooting form (which is worth **** as long as he can't connect). He can't create his own shot at all, but he's a guard. This is so fascinating, it's ridiculously strange.

Are you French?

Lol

No why? I've always been fascinated with the talent level in the NBA and how it compares to average talent. To me, Ntilikina doesn't look like an NBA guard on offense, but I'm curious how that continues. That's about it.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Re: GONYK Game Notes: Die Another Day 

Post#723 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:58 pm

GONYK wrote:

It’s way too early for this Randle is a bad defender talk. I can understand some wanting to set that narrative already but dude literally hasn’t sweated out his first nyc pizza. I think this is a discussion you can maybe start having 15-20 regular season games on not after first preseason game.

Yikes!!!

P.S. and before y’all bring it up, I know his past and I realize he’s had issues on defense with other teams but you gotta give dude the benefit of the doubt at this point. Give him a chance at least to prove you wrong.

Nobody is saying he can't improve, but becoming a solid defender would be reversing a career trend.

Many people feel he was solid with Lakers. Yes, I do think it’s a bit silly to be so focused on this after one preseason game. It’s just too difficult to see how much of a detriment his defense possibly is to THIS team at this point.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#724 » by GONYK » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:03 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
GONYK wrote:

Yikes!!!

Many people feel he was solid with Lakers. Yes, I do think it’s a bit silly to be so focused on this after one preseason game. It’s just too difficult to see how much of a detriment his defense possibly is at this point.

I know you tried to get ahead of this, but you can't dismiss that we have 4 years of mostly disappointing defense to base projections on. I don't know why you would think it is based on one preseason game.

Like I said, if he comes in and shows consistent effort, and is at least net neutral as a defender, that would be reversing the trend of his career.

The narrative isn't wrong. It has been proven out over 300 games. It's up to him to change it.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#725 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:07 pm

GONYK wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:
GONYK wrote:So 310 games isn't a big enough sample size, but 330 is?

Many people feel he was solid with Lakers. Yes, I do think it’s a bit silly to be so focused on this after one preseason game. It’s just too difficult to see how much of a detriment his defense possibly is at this point.

I know you tried to get ahead of this, but you can't dismiss that we have 4 years of mostly disappointing defense to base projections on. I don't know why you would think it is based on one preseason game.

Like I said, if he comes in and shows consistent effort, and is at least net neutral as a defender, that would be reversing the trend of his career.

The narrative isn't wrong. It has been proven out over 300 games. It's up to him to change it.

The problem is people are already assuming his defense will be terrible.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#726 » by GONYK » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:16 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
GONYK wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:

Based on all the games he has played before joining the Knicks, that is probably a reasonable assumption.

He has been slightly above average as a defender in space when playing the 5 and when he's engaged. He has been a disaster off the ball.

Those are generally hard tendencies to change. That's not to say that he can't change it.

I just don't see how believing he will improve is a more rational stance than believing that he will most likely stay the same.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#727 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:22 pm

GONYK wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:
GONYK wrote:

Based on all the games he has played before joining the Knicks, that is probably a reasonable assumption.

He has been slightly above average as a defender in space when playing the 5 and when he's engaged. He has been a disaster off the ball.

Those are generally hard tendencies to change. That's not to say that he can't change it.

I just don't see how believing he will improve is a more rational stance than believing that he will most likely stay the same.

I didn’t say all that.

My thing is I believe in giving players a clean slate. He’s new on the team. I don’t think now is the time to go on rants already about how bad a defender he is although he probably will be.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard

Return to New York Knicks