ImageImageImageImageImage

Sam Hinkie for team President

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,316

Re: Sam Hinkie for team President 

Post#41 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:45 pm

Hinkie level tanking isn't as advantageous now that the lottery odds have been flattened. He also won't be able to pull one over on teams the way he used to as far as acquiring picks. He also wasn't a particularly good judge of talent, so you'd really have to have a solid talent evaluating team behind him. I do wonder if he'll ever work in the NBA again.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#42 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:59 pm

bleedblue3303 wrote:I've proposed this many many times in the past. Hinkie should be our team president. No One better at steering the tank and developing a culture while obtaining assets and picks. No to mention he must have learned form certain mistakes from his time in Philly. Please bring in Hinkie.

this place will never learn

you can't do a perpetual tank in NYC
you can't

you have to pull it back at some point and start being competitive

Hinkie is terrible and shouldn't be discussed

just stop
lets learn from our mistakes

lets hire actual quality executives who deserve their jobs not just because of licking dolans booty
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#43 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:02 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:Hinkie level tanking isn't as advantageous now that the lottery odds have been flattened. He also won't be able to pull one over on teams the way he used to as far as acquiring picks. He also wasn't a particularly good judge of talent, so you'd really have to have a solid talent evaluating team behind him. I do wonder if he'll ever work in the NBA again.

thank you
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#44 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:32 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:Hinkie level tanking isn't as advantageous now that the lottery odds have been flattened. He also won't be able to pull one over on teams the way he used to as far as acquiring picks. He also wasn't a particularly good judge of talent, so you'd really have to have a solid talent evaluating team behind him. I do wonder if he'll ever work in the NBA again.

1) Hinkie will never be allowed to work in the NBA again. The NBA compelled the 76ers to fire him because he was so good at his job he was breaking the league.

2) It really isn't easy evaluating the talent - even when you get top 3 picks. It's just that overall the likelihood that you get something good-to-great is better.

3) It may be that the only edge Hinkie will/would be ever able to find was "the process". But people shouldn't want Hinkie because he found and exploited that particular edge remorselessly. They should want him because he was about finding edges and exploiting them remorselessly. He's a better bet to be able to find some basically neglected edge than anyone else around.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#45 » by will » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:55 am

IF Hinkie joins the Knicks, Dolan will not be hoodwinked into thinking the team is going to be competitive. He will know what it is right off the bat.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#46 » by Billy Goat » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:42 am

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:

He's a better bet to be able to find some basically neglected edge than anyone else around.

Whatever the opposite of this is- is what the Knicks do.
Louielou
Junior
And1: 154

Post#47 » by Louielou » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:39 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:wait. how many more assets do we need to collect?

We have our first round picks, 2 future non-lotto first rounders, and a bunch of meh young guys aside from RJ. Let's not make the Knicks out to have some treasure trove of assets that can be swung to make them competitive.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#48 » by DrCoach » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:36 am

Stannis wrote:
DrCoach wrote:Perry is fine, although I respect what Hinkie did, you guys can’t stomach a rebuild

I think most of us can stomach a rebuild if it means.... our draft picks get majority of the minutes. It'd honestly be one of the most fun times to be a Knick fan if we stacked on draft picks, got to watch them all play, and did not take shortcuts to a first round exit.

We can't stomach this, because it's not a true rebuild. It's a half rebuild. It's kind of what the NY Giants tried to do and failed.

Fair enough

Agreed
C-Mitch
Pf-Randle
Sf-Knox
Sg-RJ
Pg-Frank
6th-Trier
7th-Iggy
8th- DSjr

I want these guys to play
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#49 » by DrCoach » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:39 am

sims wrote:
DrCoach wrote:Perry is fine, although I respect what Hinkie did, you guys can’t stomach a rebuild

is he really, though? i'll give him credit for his cap management so far but in my opinion his talent evaluation leaves a lot to be desired. mitch has been his only saving grace in that regard.

Huh?

RJ
Trier-undrafted
Mitch -2nd rd
Iggy-2nd
Knox-

Nothing wrong with the talent he has drafted or signed Undrafted
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,392

Post#50 » by robillionaire » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:20 am

we were the worst team in the nba last year and will be the worst team in the nba again this year, not sure how hinkie could improve on this execution
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,206

Post#51 » by aq_ua » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:17 am

robillionaire wrote:we were the worst team in the nba last year and will be the worst team in the nba again this year, not sure how hinkie could improve on this execution

I doubt he would've signed Randle, Portis, Morris, Ellington, Bullock...
bleedblue3303
Sixth Man
And1: 1,127

Post#52 » by bleedblue3303 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:33 am

aq_ua wrote:
robillionaire wrote:we were the worst team in the nba last year and will be the worst team in the nba again this year, not sure how hinkie could improve on this execution

I doubt he would've signed Randle, Portis, Morris, Ellington, Bullock...

you forgot to add Payton to that.

Also he is know to have very good rep with his players. He is still close to Embid to this day.
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#53 » by Boarder Patrol » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:52 pm

dakomish23 wrote:Co-signed

Play the kids and live with the results

This. Just continue to suck and draft as high as you can for as long as it takes.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,917

Post#54 » by god shammgod » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:55 pm

pills is accidental hinkie. people get mad when i say that but i'm results oriented and the results are the same. we probably need 1 more year of this actually.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,392

Post#55 » by robillionaire » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:00 pm

god shammgod wrote:

pills is accidental hinkie. people get mad when i say that but i'm results oriented and the results are the same. we probably need 1 more year of this actually.

I hate to say this but it’s probably more like 3 more years of this :lol:

Maybe 2023-2024 we can start playing to win again depending on how all the draft picks pan out
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#56 » by Knicksfan1992 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:08 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
bleedblue3303 wrote:I've proposed this many many times in the past. Hinkie should be our team president. No One better at steering the tank and developing a culture while obtaining assets and picks. No to mention he must have learned form certain mistakes from his time in Philly. Please bring in Hinkie.

you can't

just stop

lets hire actual quality executives who deserve their jobs not just because of licking dolans booty

I would target Presti if we're trying to poach executives. He's shown the ability to adapt to any team building scenario. He wouldn't be cramped by luxury tax concerns here either.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#57 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:41 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:

you can't

just stop

I would target Presti if we're trying to poach executives. He's shown the ability to adapt to any team building scenario. He wouldn't be cramped by luxury tax concerns here either.

Presti has shown as much ineptitude as he has skill

he can draft and he can make signings but he's overseen some of the very worst trades in history and has had 3 league MVPs on the same team unable to win
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#58 » by Knicksfan1992 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:34 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:this place will never learn

you can't

just stop

he can draft and he can make signings but he's overseen some of the very worst trades in history and has had 3 league MVPs on the same team unable to win

Here's the thing with those concerns while valid, this is the one scenario where he would have benefited being with the Knicks over another organization. Dolan would have been able to afford keeping Harden, Russ, and KD together. The Thunder couldn't and therefore he had to choose.... he chose wrong no doubt about it... but to put it in perspective the man traded away a generational talent and still had his team within one game of making the Finals. rarely can a GM bounce back from that kind of blunder. Presti with an unlimited budget would be a monster GM.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#59 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:49 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

Here's the thing with those concerns while valid, this is the one scenario where he would have benefited being with the Knicks over another organization. Dolan would have been able to afford keeping Harden, Russ, and KD together. The Thunder couldn't and therefore he had to choose.... he chose wrong no doubt about it... but to put it in perspective the man traded away a generational talent and still had his team within one game of making the Finals. rarely can a GM bounce back from that kind of blunder. Presti with an unlimited budget would be a monster GM.

hes also brought in very questionable coaches

he stuck too long with one and then added the wrong replacement

he's better than the yes men we have though
abark
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,416

Post#60 » by abark » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:54 am

DaGawd wrote:It's not even a sure thing to tank any more in this new lotto system.. You might be tanking for years tryna get that transcendent player (s)

Hinkie didn't just tank though. Its seems like a prevalent misconception. He traded his assets to teams in win now mode to create an abundance of future picks. Go back and look at every trade he made, and I bet you'll find he won almost everyone of them.

He traded the reigning "ROY," Carter-Williams, for a very valuable Lakers first round pick. He recognized MCW was not a franchise talent and decided to sell high, even though he was scrutinized for this move.

The extra draft picks he accumulated were what allowed the later regimes to aquire Butler, Tobias, and trade up for the #1 pick in 2017 .

The 6ers franchise player was not drafted number 1 overall. Hinkie's strategy, to put it simply, is to maximize as many chances as he possibly can to hit on that franchise guy.

Return to New York Knicks