ImageImageImageImageImage

Official trade Julius Randle thread

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,319

Re: Official trade Julius Randle thread 

Post#21 » by DrCoach » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:19 pm

This isn’t a player issue, it’s a coaching issue,

Randle and RJ have similar games with no shot. Frank and Mitch can’t shoot.

We need spacing
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 6,018

Post#22 » by Richard4444 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:49 pm

I support any trade. But Randle could be an average Big if:

1) Avoid to drive the ball

2) Dont Shoot contested 3s. You are not a great outsider shooter.

3) Dont pass without look.

The main problem is that Fiz is a Cupcake Coach. He looks like afraid of Julius.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,178

Post#23 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:57 pm

i want to believe it will get better with him. he is young and talented.

one of my homeboys made the point that he thnks a lot of the problems with randle come from how he is used in the offense. we ask him to isolate and dribble too much. i agree. problem with that is the jumper isn't falling.

also... the defense is so, so bad.

i was not keen on this signing to begin with. i get it because he is young with potential. but this has dare i say almost a THJ feel to it where we strategically tried to pay for futures and got burned.

the only good thing i got is randle's contract being a short one with a team option for year 3. it's not that damaging if he doesn't work out. i'd def give him a year.

to be fair to all of the players, this is a new and chaotic situation.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,502

Post#24 » by DOT » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:15 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:i want to believe it will get better with him. he is young and talented.

one of my homeboys made the point that he thnks a lot of the problems with randle come from how he is used in the offense. we ask him to isolate and dribble too much. i agree. problem with that is the jumper isn't falling.

i was not keen on this signing to begin with. i get it because he is young with potential. but this has dare i say almost a THJ feel to it where we strategically tried to pay for futures and got burned.

the only good thing i got is randle's contract being a short one with a team option for year 3. it's not that damaging if he doesn't work out. i'd def give him a year.

to be fair to all fo the players, this is a new and chaotic situation.

Randle in isolations this year:

.54 ppp
34.6% eFG
30.8% FG
27% turnover%
Dude turns the ball over one in every 4 isolations. He nearly turns it over as many times as he makes a shot

https://stats.nba.com/players/isolation/?CF=TEAM_ABBREVIATION*E*nyk
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#25 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:17 pm

He has no trade value right now, so it's moot. Maybe next season they can move him as an expiring, to a playoff team looking for a punch off the bench. But keep in mind there was no market for Kanter last season, and it might be a similar situation.

In the meantime, there are things the coach should be doing to maximize his strengths and limit his negatives:
- Stop forcing and/or allowing him to create his own shot
- Use him more in the PnR, and in general run more PnR
- Look to get him easy baskets inside off of passes, rather than having him drive
- Assign him the role of doing the dirty work inside -- he's a pretty darn good rebounder
- End the point forward experiment and stop giving him the ball outside the three point line
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,685

Post#26 » by knicksNOTslick » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:36 pm

My concern with Julius Randle, since I don't trust our management, is that he will suck this year then have another career year next year to force us to pick up that team option.

I just hope whoever our next coach is, will figure out how to use him properly.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 49,059

Post#27 » by robillionaire » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:39 pm

I would keep him. If we have to trade him at least wait until next season when he'll be a hefty expiring contract, some team chasing giannis might give up a pick to help them clear cap space. But really I don't think he's as bad as people are making it out to be. He's got his flaws and the turnovers are bad and must be addressed but if he can be a walking double double and get a few assists a game he has some value for any team. Last night he had that backdown on KP to take the lead and then the offensive rebound that led to the morris 3, both were big plays. They're just asking him to do too much. Also they kept giving him the ball late in the shot clock causing him to shoot some bad perimeter shots. Lineups with frank RJ randle and mitch are probably going to struggle to score and when they can't find anything else they always just give it to randle
evevale
Lead Assistant
And1: 17,076

Post#28 » by evevale » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:58 pm

While I hate basically everything about Julius Randle's game, I'm still willing to wait and see what he's capable of doing when coached properly within a system that makes use of human logic and personal accountability. Both sadly absent currently.

We stand nothing to gain trading away our tank-battery who could potentially improve slightly and increase his value in a future trade.
Spree2Houston
Head Coach
And1: 7,130

Post#29 » by Spree2Houston » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:04 pm

Next season I'm hoping to see:

Ntilkina/Dsjr/Trier
Edwards/Dotson
Barrett/Morris
Knox/Porter
Robinson/Randle

Let Randle be the Center for the 2nd unit.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,187

Post#30 » by moocow007 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:07 pm

It's the team. He's being asked/forced/enabled to do things he's not best suited for. He is not Lebron James. He is not James Harden. Problem is without a primary ball handler and without a real no.1 offensive option, that's what he has to be (try to be, feel he should be). Result? Too much dribbling with the ball in his hands trying to do things and get everyone involved as well as create shots (which the Knicks are still piss poor near the bottom of the league at). If the Knicks actually had a real PG that can actually really run an offense Randle wouldn't need to be trying to channel his inner Oscar Robertson dribbling into 3 defenders and getting stripped. This shouldn't be anything new. We've seen the same thing for the last near 20 years with Mills being front and center of most of it. Make a flawed talent the centerpiece of you're team and then totally be incapable of adding the pieces around that flawed talent to supplement and hide his flaws and do anything. Fans then scapegoat that flawed talent. Rinse and repeat.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,502

Post#31 » by DOT » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:07 pm

I do think the big problem is coaching though

It's just like Kanter last year. It's not that he's not talented, but he's very limited and you need to hold him to just doing the things he's good at to get good play out of him, which we didn't and we don't
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,187

Post#32 » by moocow007 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:11 pm

K-DOT wrote:I do think the big problem is coaching though

It's just like Kanter last year. It's not that he's not talented, but he's very limited and you need to hold him to just doing the things he's good at to get good play out of him, which we didn't and we don't

It's coaching to a degree but it's really team makeup and Randle being asked to or allowed to do things that are not what he should be doing. The reality is that the Knicks struggle to create easy shot opportunities. That's why they are still at the bottom of the league offensively and why they are losing so many games. They struggle to score which, considering their defense is mediocre, results in a tough situation. Randle is the Knicks best offensive player in terms of being able to create his own shot. That's not so much a compliment to Randle as it is a condemnation of Mills and Perry. It's hard for Fizdale to do anything about it since he neither has the real no.1 option (a James Harden, a Russell Westbrook, etc.) or anyone that can push pace, execute an offense or get others easy baskets. Neither Randle or Barrett are Lebron James and that's what this mish mosh malformed roster needs to win. The notion that if Randle did less the Knicks would actually be any better is a bit far fetched IMO. It's the same problem with Carmelo and Marbury...the team building is poop. And since Randle is probably not even at the Carmelo or Marbury level in terms of sheer talent, it's potentially even worse. The Pistons are in a similar boat. Mismatched and malformed team with talent but no true no.1 offensive option that can create easy shots for himself nor anyone capable of creating easy shot opportunities for others. Pistons have more talent which is why their record is better but they are basically the same thing. A lot of teams are. Just so happens the Knicks have the least talent and as a result are the worst.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,716

Post#33 » by nedleeds » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:13 pm

Eat this contract, just like we should have eaten Noah and Tom Huckaway III's. If we have no hope of contention just eat it. Bench him until he learns to stand in the dunker spot and take one power dribble and shoot a layup.

He's a center. That's really the issue. While 99% of the NBA scouts knew that Scott Perry and Mills didn't.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
BeagleBoss
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#34 » by BeagleBoss » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:21 pm

Randle needs a PG and Morris on the bench to be effective. But that's 100% on FO and Fizdale. They should have done their homework on the guy.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,823

Post#35 » by dakomish23 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:43 pm

If you’re trying to win games, the question about him at PF and Mitch at C has been answered.

Start Mitch and play Randle at C every non Mitch minute.
Everyone will be better off.

Frank DSJ
Dotson Trier
RJ
Knox Morris
Mitch Randle

Switch Morris with Knox if you want a vet / steadying presence (safety blanket) in the starting lineup to help push Frank / RJ along.

They won’t do it, but if they did, it would probably kill the tank.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,889

Post#36 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:23 pm

Maybe the Hornets? They dont seem like a very smart team and have some contracts, that might be interested in Randle. I would take Biyombo, Batum or Marvin Williams. Maybe they would even throw in a 2nd rounder in a Batum for Randle + filler deal.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,178

Post#37 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:17 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:i want to believe it will get better with him. he is young and talented.

to be fair to all fo the players, this is a new and chaotic situation.

Randle in isolations this year:

.54 ppp
34.6% eFG
30.8% FG
27% turnover%
Dude turns the ball over one in every 4 isolations. He nearly turns it over as many times as he makes a shot

https://stats.nba.com/players/isolation/?CF=TEAM_ABBREVIATION*E*nyk

that is truly abysmal. and i feel it every time he gets the ball with no idea what to do next.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,762

Post#38 » by Knicksfan1992 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:23 pm

Give Randle at least until a little bit before the trade deadline to find his footing. Like I wrote in my long form post the other day there are signs that he can be useful and a net positive player if you have proper spacing. Last night was a step in the right direction... You don't go from being in the 60th percentile to the 10th percentile on isolation efficiency in the prime of your career because you lost talent...It's on Fiz and Randle to figure out how to get him in more advantageous situations for himself. You guys are too impatient.
Blockwatcher
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,174

Post#39 » by Blockwatcher » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:24 pm

Man F all that noise. He's tradeable. We dont need to attach any picks. A team will definitely take him. Other teams would jump to get him for peanuts. Hes not a bad contract we would just be selling low. Maybe we have to attach a Trier to match salaries and then we can ask for a 2nd but teams would trade an expiring straight up at the very least.
1 John 2 : 15-17
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,777

Post#40 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:31 pm

If he grew a beard I'd swear I was looking at supersized THJr

Return to New York Knicks