ImageImageImageImageImage

KP, KD, Mills, Fiz, Perry & everything

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,441

Re: KP, KD, Mills, Fiz, Perry & everything 

Post#441 » by KnicksGod » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:47 pm

BallSacBounce wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
BallSacBounce wrote:You misspelled out in great detail.

You are not accounting for...

KP's value goes down not playing all year.
His value also goes down when teams realize:
1) Only a few teams can take in that max player
2) Knicks are desperate to move him to accommodate KD+
3) You are still going to have to move Thjr to accommodate KD+ and that will still drag down the value.

Alternatively if you believe KD was not coming now you are still taking back max amount salaries and who would that be? Certainly not better than KP talent wise because his injury concern drains some value. And it was sketchy that KP was going to be THAT guy so why would we want to pay someone lesser than a healthy him max money?

Go read my reply up above that describes and refutes all 4 of your points. I'm not debating that we shouldn't have moved KP. I proved that there was no reason other than nervousness, weakness and pure incompetence that led to events playing out as they did.

But "KP's value goes down not playing all year. " is totally false. Supported by the fact that Dallas didn't play him. He retains his value by not coming back and hurting himself again or looking rusty. The last vision of KP is him dunking on Giannis on his way to the All Star game.

1) Again plenty of teams have matching salary, last summer there were still sour '16's to use for flotsam ... ohhhhhh except the Knicks who stretched theirs for no reason! 6 months too early.

2) That's not a reason, but a flaw of a desperate and inexperienced novice front office. All of the money could have been moved at the draft anyway, if we were willing to ship a 22 year old all-star to dump salary we had the #3 pick in the draft to dump and shed salary, the Hawks for example would have taken Tommy back into their space for the #3 pick in a heartbeat. By then we'd have known KD was cooked anyway so the problem would have been moot. (actually those morons probably still would have accepted one legged almost 33 before he plays KD on a max deal).

I think it's ridiculous to think a player being out the entire year vs. them coming back and showing they're healthy in games does not diminish their value.

A team just happening to have matching contracts does not mean you are getting anybody good back and you are at a huge disadvantage waiting till its obvious to everyone that you're desperate for a trade. Of course his value would be lower if we wait that isn't even a question. Its ONLY higher if he plays and he's healthy, which you said was never gonna happen.

So instead of taking less value back for KP because of including Thjr you want to add RJ to get rid of Timmeh. You didn't make a better trade you just shifted the costs. Hell you just made my point that the value was fine all things considered. His contract was that bad.

Thjr was the real problem that caused lousy value coming our way and all the crying isn't going to make it better. That's also the FO fault but that cake was baked way before.

There's no reason to address anything further. We disagree entirely.

Yeah adding RJ isn't a good thing. You don't want to move RJ to move THj, just so you can get back more for KP.

But "KP's value goes down not playing all year. " is totally false. Supported by the fact that Dallas didn't play him. He retains his value by not coming back and hurting himself again or looking rusty. The last vision of KP is him dunking on Giannis on his way to the All Star game.

It might be true that you could get more but "totally false" rings like you think KP had great value. There were reports that we shopped him for Fox and D.Mitch and, understandably, were declined.

The main thing with the KP trade is that the picks are likely bad unless Luka goes down with an injury. You can still get good players with 20's picks though. But two picks and cap relief, plus a young prospect ... it seems like Cuban was the high bidder but nobody thought the Mavs would instantly become a winner.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#442 » by nedleeds » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:56 pm

BallSacBounce wrote:A team just happening to have matching contracts does not mean you are getting anybody good back and you are at a huge disadvantage waiting till its obvious to everyone that you're desperate for a trade. Of course his value would be lower if we wait that isn't even a question. Its ONLY higher if he plays and he's healthy, which you said was never gonna happen.

His value was absolutely not going lower by sitting out the season. It was staying the same. Playing him had a better chance of diminishing his value. We were tanking anyway, not playing him made sense if we were trading or keeping him. Again if we had a real front office that could control messaging this problem is solved by simply saying KP's long term health is priority number 1 for him. He is going to sit out the season and be 110%. If it gets out that he wants a trade (via his trash brother) then no team in the league would expect the Knicks to play him and risk injury. He wasn't playing. Period. Had he been traded to a Boston let's say, maybe they want him to play because they are a contender.

BallSacBounce wrote:Hell you just made my point that the value was fine all things considered. His contract was that bad.

You are completely ignoring the point. His contract was that bad. But it was COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT once we realized nobody was coming here. So by simply waiting we'd have known KD was a cripple, and Krazy Kyrie were not coming. Then if Tommy was making $40 million for 2019-2020 it wouldn't matter at all except to Dolan's wallet. You just transformed Tommy into Randle. They're both chuckers who should be the 5th option on a good team.

By waiting

KPs value doesn't change
Dallas can still make the same trade because they have cap space
You know you are or aren't getting free agents
You know your draft position and whether you are getting Zion
You know more about injuries and defections around the league (Portland)
Teams who can't trade their picks can trade the players they draft (Boston)
If Dallas just doesn't want to make the trade who cares because YOU CAN'T DO WORSE THAN NOTHING

Finally if all that goes sideways and you still want to play hardball or KP won't sign then he plays on the qualifying offer. Then you know what you get back if he plays it out and walks? Nothing. WHICH IS WHAT YOU GOT ANYWAY.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,539

Post#443 » by cgmw » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:09 pm

Recent history of shortsighted half-measures that sacrificed longterm success for short term dopamine:

-Kitchen sink for Melo on eve of his FAgency
-Amnesty on Billups to sign Chandler on eve of Billups FAgnecy
-Bargnani for 2016 pick
-Extending Melo instead of trading Melo
-Noah contract
-Noah stretch
-Hardaway contract
-Hiring trendy recruiting coach for Max FAs, not Xs/Os system coach for developing youth
-Mudiay, Burke to bury Frank
-Porzingis trade for KD promise/wish
-DSJ trade to bury Frank
-Payton to bury Frank (and DSJ lol)
-Randle and Morris to bury Knox
-Randle and Morris force RJ out of position
-Taj-Portis limiting Mitch minutes + role
-Drummond rumors damaging Mitch confidence

You can argue the details of the KP trade until you’re blue in the face, but the greater point here is that the Knicks refuse to take a longterm approach to teambuilding instead consistently shooting themselves in the foot in the name of immediate results (that never come).

Enough!

Trade Marcus Morris plus any other veteran we can for picks/draft capital. Focus everything on developing RJ, Mitch, Knox, Frank, and yes DSJ. Don’t be afraid to take on veteran contracts for 2-3 years as long as they bring back more draft capital. Scout the ever living sh*t out of the next 3 drafts and make transactions accordingly. Install Miller permanently or hire his replacement ASAP and stick to a 4-5 year plan centered on RJ/Mitch.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,441

Post#444 » by KnicksGod » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:51 pm

cgmw wrote:Recent history of shortsighted half-measures that sacrificed longterm success for short term dopamine:

-Kitchen sink for Melo on eve of his FAgency
-Amnesty on Billups to sign Chandler on eve of Billups FAgnecy
-Bargnani for 2016 pick
-Extending Melo instead of trading Melo
-Noah contract
-Noah stretch
-Hardaway contract
-Hiring trendy recruiting coach for Max FAs, not Xs/Os system coach for developing youth
-Mudiay, Burke to bury Frank
-Porzingis trade for KD promise/wish
-DSJ trade to bury Frank
-Payton to bury Frank (and DSJ lol)
-Randle and Morris to bury Knox
-Randle and Morris force RJ out of position
-Taj-Portis limiting Mitch minutes + role
-Drummond rumors damaging Mitch confidence

You can argue the details of the KP trade until you’re blue in the face, but the greater point here is that the Knicks refuse to take a longterm approach to teambuilding instead consistently shooting themselves in the foot in the name of immediate results (that never come).

Enough!

Trade Marcus Morris plus any other veteran we can for picks/draft capital. Focus everything on developing RJ, Mitch, Knox, Frank, and yes DSJ. Don’t be afraid to take on veteran contracts for 2-3 years as long as they bring back more draft capital. Scout the ever living sh*t out of the next 3 drafts and make transactions accordingly. Install Miller permanently or hire his replacement ASAP and stick to a 4-5 year plan centered on RJ/Mitch.

Enough is funny. It’s always funny but in this case it’s a hyperbole of an understatement.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,317

Post#445 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:52 pm

I seriously hope I'm wrong, but I have this awful feeling we're gonna make like 1 minor move and that's it. If that happens, it's gonna be pretty infuriating. A front office trying to save their job is the worst because they likely won't make moves with longterm outcomes in mind.

Morris is the main guy with good value, but that doesn't mean other pieces can't be moved for *something*. They're all on decent deals which helps a lot. My wishlist is to move Morris, Portis, Ellington, DSJ and Trier for assets. For a normal franchise that wouldn't be *that* unrealistic, but with the knicks you can't expect anything. It's pathetic.
cgmw
RealGM

Post#446 » by cgmw » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:06 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:I seriously hope I'm wrong, but I have this awful feeling we're gonna make like 1 minor move and that's it. If that happens, it's gonna be pretty infuriating. A front office trying to save their job is the worst because they likely won't make moves with longterm outcomes in mind.

Morris is the main guy with good value, but that doesn't mean other pieces can't be moved for *something*. They're all on decent deals which helps a lot. My wishlist is to move Morris, Portis, Ellington, DSJ and Trier for assets. For a normal franchise that wouldn't be *that* unrealistic, but with the knicks you can't expect anything. It's pathetic.

You lack imagination.

There’s a very real chance Mills tries to save his job by trading FRP, RJ, Mitch, Knox, Frank and/or DSJ for a “savior” type vet not currently on the rumor mill. (Or taking on Wiggins to get KAT, Wall to get Beal, etc.)
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,317

Post#447 » by Clyde Frazier » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:10 am

cgmw wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:I seriously hope I'm wrong, but I have this awful feeling we're gonna make like 1 minor move and that's it. If that happens, it's gonna be pretty infuriating. A front office trying to save their job is the worst because they likely won't make moves with longterm outcomes in mind.

You lack imagination.

There’s a very real chance Mills tries to save his job by trading FRP, RJ, Mitch, Knox, Frank and/or DSJ for a “savior” type vet not currently on the rumor mill. Or taking on Wiggins to get KAT, Wall to get Beal, etc.

:x :( :cry:

Don't put that negative energy out into the universe man...
cgmw
RealGM

Post#448 » by cgmw » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:33 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:
cgmw wrote:

You lack imagination.

There’s a very real chance Mills tries to save his job by trading FRP, RJ, Mitch, Knox, Frank and/or DSJ for a “savior” type vet not currently on the rumor mill. Or taking on Wiggins to get KAT, Wall to get Beal, etc.

:x :( :cry:

Don't put that negative energy out into the universe man...

Don’t blame me, but the universe made the math on the following salary equation true:

(Portis+Ellington+Payton) +
(RJ+Mitch+Knox+Frank+FRP cap hold) =
(Dame + CJ + Whiteside + Melo)

Whiteside
Randle/Melo
Morris
CJ
Dame/DSJ

Luckily Mills isn’t much of a numbers guy.

[Note: This is not a serious trade proposal. Just lampooning the MSG mentality.]
Dave DaButcher
Sixth Man
And1: 4,296

Post#449 » by Dave DaButcher » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:17 am

Since their utterances fall within the range of clueless to bull sh*t, I, for one, don’t mind that they’ve been radio silent since Fizdale’s firing.
Read on Twitter
?s=21
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#450 » by Marty McFly » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:44 am

Dave DaButcher wrote:Since their utterances fall within the range of clueless to bull sh*t, I, for one, don’t mind that they’ve been radio silent since Fizdale’s firing.
Read on Twitter
?s=21

man, if these guys are still here come summer...
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,499

Post#451 » by Fat Kat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:36 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
cgmw
RealGM

Post#452 » by cgmw » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:44 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Clown show. Top to bottom this regime is up there with Isiah for peak Dolan lunacy.

Will Mills go down as a bigger villain than Zeke?
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,901

Post#453 » by DaGawd » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:12 pm

Lawd Jesus
BaF
Washington Wizards
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,207

Post#454 » by seren » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:53 pm

Mills will be reassigned. He will never be completely fired. Don’t be shocked if Isiah returns.
cgmw
RealGM

Post#455 » by cgmw » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:15 pm

seren wrote:Mills will be reassigned. He will never be completely fired. Don’t be shocked if Isiah returns.

Stern is dead. Silver doesn’t have the edge or balls to step in.

If Dolan really wants Isiah, nobody’s going to stop him. But my prediction is it would be the push the public needs to finally boo Dolan the hell out of the Garden for good.

I agree that Mills will likely be “re-assigned” while Dolan throws enough money at a brand name figurehead for him to be okay selling out for a moneygrab. Either that or Allan Houston becomes the next Steve Mills.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#456 » by NYKAL » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:23 pm

seren wrote:Mills will be reassigned. He will never be completely fired. Don’t be shocked if Isiah returns.

Isiah is in a good place NBA wise. The NBA is showing him plenty of love so, no way he even considers NY (not that anyone wants him)
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#457 » by Billy Goat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:30 pm

cgmw wrote:

Stern is dead. Silver doesn’t have the edge or balls to step in.

If Dolan really wants Isiah, nobody’s going to stop him. But my prediction is it would be the push the public needs to finally boo Dolan the hell out of the Garden for good.

I agree that Mills will likely be “re-assigned” while Dolan throws enough money at a brand name figurehead for him to be okay selling out for a moneygrab. Either that or Allan Houston becomes the next Steve Mills.

Isiah is/has been involved. You'd be naive to think otherwise. This roster has his fingerprints all over it.
ny-n-md
Sixth Man
And1: 1,386

Post#458 » by ny-n-md » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:11 am

I can’t believe how ridiculously bad this team is. The FO is at a new level of ineptitude even for us. All of the additions this offseason has made us worse than last season. How crazy is that?!?

They want to bring back Morris instead of cash in on his perceived value to a contender!?!? You just know they are going to do something stupid like offer him a 1 + 1 deal and he will balk at that nonsense and sign elsewhere for more years and bigger money. Not that I want him, but you know this is how it will play out and we’ll all be pissed because we could’ve gotten a pick and given his time to the young core.

Please fire them now to save us from their stupidity.

DSJ has turned out to be the worst possible return we could’ve gotten for KP and I liked his upside. There was no need for trading for another PG while trying to develop Frank though. I would rather have kept KP and let him walk than how this is playing out. They could’ve spent this whole season trying to convince him to resign or prepare for his departure.

That would’ve been better than this season of Morris, Randle and Portis, that’s for sure.

Why does it always end so badly for us Knick fans?
JUST PLAY THE KIDS ALREADY!!!!!
Context
RealGM
And1: 12,286

Post#459 » by Context » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:45 am

So glad I have Baf geeeeez-this thread!
LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,438

Post#460 » by RHODEY » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:04 pm

DSJ for Monk, then call it a day ...no doubt. :nonono:

Return to New York Knicks