ImageImageImageImageImage

2019-2020 College/Draft thread (Part 2)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Re: 2019-2020 College/Draft thread (Part 2) 

Post#561 » by Marty McFly » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:02 pm

Zenzibar wrote:Can someone proved to me that Wiseman will be a generational talent, who's all around game: defense, inside and outside shooting will translate. Wiseman's outside shot is suspect and requires work and I'm not sure if Mitchell Robinson is not a better defender already.

Even if we're #1, trading it will not be a bad idea in this particular draft if it gets us #4 or 5. LaMelo while a great passer and dribbler (think Ricky Rubio), it's not a generational talent either.

We should continue to develop Mitch.

Personally, with a #1, I would look at getting another team's assets: Sacramento, Hornets and Kings can all use a Center.
he’s not generational if Embiid, Towns and Ayton are part of his generation.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,326

Post#562 » by Worst_to_First » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:03 pm

Zenzibar wrote:Can someone proved to me that Wiseman will be a generational talent, who's all around game: defense, inside and outside shooting will translate. Wiseman's outside shot is suspect and requires work and I'm not sure if Mitchell Robinson is not a better defender already.

Even if we're #1, trading it will not be a bad idea in this particular draft if it gets us #4 or 5. LaMelo while a great passer and dribbler (think Ricky Rubio), it's not a generational talent either.

Personally, with a #1, I would look at getting another team's assets: Sacramento, Hornets and Kings can all use a Center.

I wish Wiseman would have been able to play more games this season, I have a feeling he would have solidified his spot at #1 if he did especially with all of these guards struggling.

It is hard to prove anything right now. For whatever it is worth I’ve typically been craving for bigs with star potential especially since Pat was the greatest Knick player at least in my lifetime.

I followed KAT closely even back when he was only projected at 3 behind Okafor and Mudiay, I knew he was the real deal and was devastated when we missed out on him. I was also high on Ayton (who I clearly saw as the clear better big than Bamba) and was disappointed we didn’t tank properly in what was a strong top-heavy draft.

There is something that intrigued me about Wiseman but one has to go deeper when looking at him to get a glimpse of this. There is that desire to be great. From simple things on how he attacks the rim with authority every chance he gets and how emphatic he tries to block shots. He knows that all is simply just two points but whatever mental edge he could get against his opponents and whatever momentum he can give to his team he will take.
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,326

Post#563 » by Worst_to_First » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:13 pm

Marty McFly wrote:

he’s not generational if Embiid, Towns and Ayton are part of his generation.

I was following Towns closely and a huge fan of his but he did not look this good as he is the NBA right now coming out of college. Meanwhile Embiid and Ayton were advanced in terms of post skills but for Wiseman I like how he stacks up in the post given his mobility.

I think what happened with Wiseman is that the bigs he tried to pattern his game after, at least based on his interviews in HS were bigs like KG, AD and Giannis. What I would guess is that his mindset was that he had to be a unicorn in order to be a star in this league. On the flip side however I think he ended up to be too strong physically to be one if you know what I mean.

Am hoping that Wiseman could have a sit-down with someone like Ewing to explain to him that the more throwback bigs can still have a place to be dominant in this league. Wiseman is obviously a student of the game and one that takes criticisms positively and work on his weaknesses.
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#564 » by newyorker4ever » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:13 pm

TheScout31 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:Spencer has me liking coles fit with RJ more and more with his twitter thread.

If Wiseman Edwards and lamelos off the board Cole is my guy.

I don't know about that since he wasn't that high on T.Young or L.Doncic to be as good as they are.

This is a joke, right? I said COUNTLESS times he was the best SG prospect since Roy, if not Wade. Even with my major defensive concerns for Trae (which were 100% spot on), I still ended up with him in my second tier. I probably did undervalue Trae's passing and shooting, but I still said he was damn good, if not elite, in both.

This is from the Luka scouting report I sent on 6/25/2018 to someone with the Wolves.

No i wasn't joking. I didn't say you hated them but i did say you weren't as high on them as some of us were and i think you just admitted that with how you underestimated T.Young's passing and shooting. I also posted how i thought people were underestimating JJJ and you replied to my post about why you weren't as high on him as i was. Again, i'm not saying you hated him but just weren't as high on him as some others were and what's the big deal anyway? It's not like anyone knows what any of these kids will be at the next level which is why there's lottery busts every single year in the NBA. Not even GM's and scouts that do this for a living can always get it right.
TheScout31
Junior
And1: 387

Post#565 » by TheScout31 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:26 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
TheScout31 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
I don't know about that since he wasn't that high on T.Young or L.Doncic to be as good as they are.

This is a joke, right? I said COUNTLESS times he was the best SG prospect since Roy, if not Wade. Even with my major defensive concerns for Trae (which were 100% spot on), I still ended up with him in my second tier. I probably did undervalue Trae's passing and shooting, but I still said he was damn good, if not elite, in both.

This is from the Luka scouting report I sent on 6/25/2018 to someone with the Wolves.

No i wasn't joking. I didn't say you hated them but i did say you weren't as high on them as some of us were and i think you just admitted that with how you underestimated T.Young's passing and shooting. I also posted how i thought people were underestimating JJJ and you replied to my post about why you weren't as high on him as i was. Again, i'm not saying you hated him but just weren't as high on him as some others were and what's the big deal anyway? It's not like anyone knows what any of these kids will be at the next level which is why there's lottery busts every single year in the NBA. Not even GM's and scouts that do this for a living can always get it right.

Yeah, this is just wrong. I don't like people making **** up about me, that's all.

Anyways, I'm not getting into this - not worth it. Believe what you will, but don't lie about me. Thanks.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,335

Post#566 » by Phish Tank » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:32 pm

He was definitely high on Luka before the draft. Know it for a fact
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#567 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:41 pm

Saadiq Bey is interesting
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#568 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:49 am

Phish Tank wrote:He was definitely high on Luka before the draft. Know it for a fact

Okay so maybe it was someone else that was down on Luka and i'm mistaken but i'm not mistaken about T.Young and JJJ. I wasn't trying to be a dik. The draft is a crap shoot and nobody knows what any of these kids will be at the next level (especially me) which is proven over and over and over again every single year.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,606

Post#569 » by Capn'O » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:07 am

He was very high on Luka
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,405
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#570 » by E-Balla » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:12 pm

Cole is so trash. UNC was 3-3 against good teams WITH him I'm not buying the narrative that the team is why he sucks. He sucks AND the rest of the team sucks. Maybe with a late lotto pick you go for him...
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,127

Post#571 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:19 pm

E-Balla wrote:Cole is so trash. UNC was 3-3 against good teams WITH him I'm not buying the narrative that the team is why he sucks. He sucks AND the rest of the team sucks. Maybe with a late lotto pick you go for him...

Yep. If we are picking in the #8-10 range then sure. Anything higher is a reach for him.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,405
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#572 » by E-Balla » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:19 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Cole is so trash. UNC was 3-3 against good teams WITH him I'm not buying the narrative that the team is why he sucks. He sucks AND the rest of the team sucks. Maybe with a late lotto pick you go for him...

Yep. If we are picking in the #8-10 range then sure. Anything higher is a reach for him.

His combination of athleticism and shooting makes him a decent prospect. Like Collin Sexton if he couldn't finish. I mean I guess I get the attraction to him but I don't see it working out.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#573 » by robillionaire » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:25 am

3toheadmelo wrote:

Yep. If we are picking in the #8-10 range then sure.

spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,729

Post#574 » by spree8 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:32 pm

ADeP7 wrote:How do rj and Edwards fit though. They both are best with the ball in there hand. And you then have to make rj your 3

I would love getting Edwards with RJ. Having talent with big potential at the 2/3 is def enticing. Spree n Houston worked. As did Lebron n Wade. Kawhi n PG. etc etc.. those two could be special together. There’s 48 mins in a game and plenty of touches to go around... neither is selfish either. RJ played with Zion too and that worked. People said “there’s only 1 ball” when KD joined GS. I think we’d be iight.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,290

Post#575 » by RHODEY » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:48 pm

spree8 wrote:
ADeP7 wrote:How do rj and Edwards fit though. They both are best with the ball in there hand. And you then have to make rj your 3

I would love getting Edwards with RJ. Having talent with big potential at the 2/3 is def enticing. Spree n Houston worked. As did Lebron n Wade. Kawhi n PG. etc etc.. those two could be special together. There’s 48 mins in a game and plenty of touches to go around... neither is selfish either. RJ played with Zion too and that worked. People said “there’s only 1 ball” when KD joined GS. I think we’d be iight.

It worked but was it optimal? I never like that Spree had to play the 3 ..most nights he was tough/gritty enough to more than hang on defense , but it was still somewhat of a square peg at times.
spree8
RealGM

Post#576 » by spree8 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:00 pm

RHODEY wrote:
spree8 wrote:

It worked but was it optimal? I never like that Spree had to play the 3 ..most nights he was tough/gritty enough to more than hang on defense , but it was still somewhat of a square peg at times.

Different league... in today’s NBA I’d say it is. I always thought RJ should be a SF anyway.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,290

Post#577 » by RHODEY » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:12 pm

spree8 wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
spree8 wrote:

Different league... in today’s NBA I’d say it is. I always thought RJ should be a SF anyway.

Yep I agree RJ is a 3 especially in today's game but does Edwards need to dominate the ball?
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,979

Post#578 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:58 pm

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:Saadiq Bey is interesting

Yeah, I like Bey. He seems like a protypical 3D wing...can really shoot but has some sneaky potential. Has nice size for a wing and plays tough with an edge. Developing nicely under Jay wright. Would love to nab him with a later pick.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
spree8
RealGM

Post#579 » by spree8 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:23 pm

RHODEY wrote:
spree8 wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

Yep I agree RJ is a 3 especially in today's game but does Edwards need to dominate the ball?

From what I’ve seen of him, I don’t think so. If we have a good coach, I could see it working well. They just both gotta work on that shooting.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,979

Post#580 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:25 pm

Edwards vs LaMelo vs Cole vs Nico vs Haliburton... Not ready to plant my flag yet and obviously depends where we pick, but should be an interesting debate
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce

Return to New York Knicks