ImageImageImageImageImage

New York Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,129

Re: New York Yankees Thread 

Post#1861 » by thebuzzardman » Sat May 22, 2021 2:52 pm

knicks94 wrote:The Rays know how to draft the right talent, something the Yankees have been terrible at under Cashman. Robby Cano,Brett Gardner and Aaron Judge are the only position players that were worth something coming out of the Yankee system these past two decades. I don’t count Gary Sánchez because he was an international signing,but my point is that Cashman’s team has not been very good when it comes to evaluating minor league talent.The Rays are sort of forced to depend on home grown talent, while Cashman has had the safety net of the Steinbrenners’ checkbook.

International signings have to be at least 33% of a team's signings the last decade. I think you'd have to count them.
Davis18
Senior
And1: 695

Post#1862 » by Davis18 » Sat May 22, 2021 4:29 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
knicks94 wrote:The Rays know how to draft the right talent, something the Yankees have been terrible at under Cashman. Robby Cano,Brett Gardner and Aaron Judge are the only position players that were worth something coming out of the Yankee system these past two decades. I don’t count Gary Sánchez because he was an international signing,but my point is that Cashman’s team has not been very good when it comes to evaluating minor league talent.The Rays are sort of forced to depend on home grown talent, while Cashman has had the safety net of the Steinbrenners’ checkbook.

International signings have to be at least 33% of a team's signings the last decade. I think you'd have to count them.

Most of high profile international signings didn't even reached majors.
Martian hype better be real.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1863 » by thebuzzardman » Sat May 22, 2021 6:00 pm

Davis18 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Most players don't make it. What are there, like 10,000 levels of minor league ball, all feeding 25 pro spots each team?
That's counting the international, college, HS players that are signed.

I think Cashman could have done far better with position players, but his track record of having the minor leagues deliver isn't bad. Obviously the farm system got a boost when they flipped Chapman and Miller and it got up into the top 3 for a bit, but even before that it did a decent job of producing some arms and players, if not for the major league club, then in for trades that brought players.

But it's not a runaway success and also, like stated, not great at position players.

I'm not holding my breath on Jasson Dominguez being anything either.

I recall when Yoán Moncada was going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.
ccvle
Head Coach
And1: 1,696

Post#1864 » by ccvle » Sat May 22, 2021 7:12 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Davis18 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Most players don't make it. What are there, like 10,000 levels of minor league ball, all feeding 25 pro spots each team?

I think Cashman could have done far better with position players, but his track record of having the minor leagues deliver isn't bad. Obviously the farm system got a boost when they flipped Chapman and Miller and it got up into the top 3 for a bit, but even before that it did a decent job of producing some arms and players, if not for the major league club, then in for trades that brought players.

But it's not a runaway success and also, like stated, not great at position players.

I recall when Yoán Moncada was going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Let's also remember that minor league and draft is not the only way to build a team. Cashman should also get credit for finding voit and userla. Trading for Torres for essentially for free. For all the praises that we give to the rays, I don't too many positional players on their rosters that were "home grown"
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1865 » by thebuzzardman » Sat May 22, 2021 7:18 pm

ccvle wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Davis18 wrote:

Let's also remember that minor league and draft is not the only way to build a team. Cashman should also get credit for finding voit and userla. Trading for Torres for essentially for free. For all the praises that we give to the rays, I don't too many positional players on their rosters that were "home grown"

Agreed!

I'll also agree that Hal's artificial cap handcuffs the Yanks from greatness. Not that spending guarantees winning, but there have been a couple of instances over the last 5 years where if the Yanks opened the pockets a little wider, they'd have solved some long term issues. And Cashman absolute deserves a hit for spending what money Hal lets him spend on Hicks, who was known to be forever hurt BEFORE the new contract.
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,917

Post#1866 » by knicks94 » Sat May 22, 2021 8:31 pm

Yankee pitching continues to carry them throughout the year. Offense showed a little bit of life today.
ccvle
Head Coach

Post#1867 » by ccvle » Sat May 22, 2021 10:25 pm

knicks94 wrote:Yankee pitching continues to carry them throughout the year. Offense showed a little bit of life today.

Allowed 1 run in the last four games.
ccvle
Head Coach

Post#1868 » by ccvle » Sun May 23, 2021 8:09 pm

Ignoring the runs given up by the bullpen, I think this is the fifth straight game of zero run given up by the starting pitcher.
blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,003

Post#1869 » by blue and orange » Sun May 23, 2021 8:31 pm

ccvle wrote:Ignoring the runs given up by the bullpen, I think this is the fifth straight game of zero run given up by the starting pitcher.

The pen shouldn’t be blameless but I’m blaming the lineups because I wanna punish them for one thing. The same guys out of the pen have been used a lot because of the lineup, only getting a run with bases loaded and no outs and giving away outs on the base paths against a good team this needs to learn a hard earned lesson. Now go score here and win the game.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,751

Post#1870 » by Rich Rane » Sun May 23, 2021 9:20 pm

6 in a row. Don't look now, but Yankees are only a half game out from first.
ccvle
Head Coach

Post#1871 » by ccvle » Sun May 23, 2021 10:38 pm

Rich Rane wrote:6 in a row. Don't look now, but Yankees are only a half game out from first.

Nice to see Torres heating up. It was hard to have anything that resemble an offense when 6 guys in the lineup bat under .200
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#1872 » by GEOLINK » Tue May 25, 2021 2:07 am

At least we ain't the Mets.
Davis18
Senior
And1: 695

Post#1873 » by Davis18 » Tue May 25, 2021 2:16 am

GEOLINK wrote:At least we ain't the Mets.

Mets lineup is worse than Yankees.
Lindor extension looking bad at the moment.
But both NY teams are at top of the division despite AAA lineup.
MLB should be worried.
knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#1874 » by knicks94 » Wed May 26, 2021 12:59 am

Pathetic how the Blue Jays can spread their cheeks and look like MLB’s worst team against Boston and Tampa, but when they have to play the Yankees they all of a sudden become motivated to play them like if they’re participating in game 7 of the ALCS.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,430

Post#1875 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed May 26, 2021 2:09 am

Matz!
Free Palestine
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#1876 » by GEOLINK » Wed May 26, 2021 5:21 am

knicks94 wrote:Pathetic how the Blue Jays can spread their cheeks and look like MLB’s worst team against Boston and Tampa, but when they have to play the Yankees they all of a sudden become motivated to play them like if they’re participating in game 7 of the ALCS.

Guess they were due for a win.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#1877 » by GEOLINK » Thu May 27, 2021 4:32 am

GEOLINK wrote:At least we ain't the Mets.

damedash09
Analyst
And1: 1,451

Post#1878 » by damedash09 » Thu May 27, 2021 10:53 pm

This offense is terrible

Mike Ford needs to be cut . they really can't be starting this dude with voit out

Read on Twitter
knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#1879 » by knicks94 » Sat May 29, 2021 3:16 am

Boone and the 2 runs a game offense won’t go very far this season.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#1880 » by GEOLINK » Sat May 29, 2021 3:39 am

What a awful night of sports.

Return to New York Knicks