ImageImageImageImageImage

New York Yankees Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Re: New York Yankees Thread 

Post#1921 » by GEOLINK » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:35 pm

Read on Twitter

100% agreed.
Little Italia
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,134

Post#1922 » by Little Italia » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:07 am

I just don't understand what has happened to the yanks. They were doing so well just a month ago!!

"New York Knicks will never win a championship with James Dolan at the helm. Off with his head!!"

WELCOME TO MEDIOCRE HELL
Davis18
Senior
And1: 674

Post#1923 » by Davis18 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:47 am

GEOLINK wrote:
Read on Twitter

100% agreed.

I couldn't agree more.
So boring to watch.

Again, they need to start fresh from the top.
Cashman gotta go asap.
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#1924 » by N8isScofield » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:50 am

Little Italia wrote:I just don't understand what has happened to the yanks. They were doing so well just a month ago!!

It all went downhill when they fired Girardi. Say what you will about the binders and the obsession with L/R matchups but he was twice the manager Boone is. Cashman is nothing but a checkbook with a face. He's really won 1 ring without Stick Michael holding his hand and he's been painfully exposed now that there are people who can and will outspend him and he can't just throw away money every offseason. They need to see what it will take to get Theo here.
ccvle
Head Coach
And1: 1,693

Post#1925 » by ccvle » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:58 pm

Little Italia wrote:I just don't understand what has happened to the yanks. They were doing so well just a month ago!!

baseball is such a strange sport. A month ago there were winning all those games (including the swap against the white sox) when everyone except for judge were hitting sub .200. Now the whole team is collapsing just when the hitting is improving back a bit.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,021

Post#1926 » by moocow007 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:04 pm

We see how having a guy like Thibodeau running the team does right? Well the same with every sport, including baseball. For some reason folks seem to think that, unlike basketball and football, the head coach doesn't matter as much for baseball and hockey. To which, of course they do. It's the managers job to make sure his players are dialed in and playing aggressively, intelligently and cohesively in every sport just as it's the job of the front office to make sure that each team is built correctly and has the right components. Right now? It doesn't look or feel like either is doing the jobs they're supposed to do.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,884

Post#1927 » by blueNorange » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:26 pm

moocow007 wrote:We see how having a guy like Thibodeau running the team does right? Well the same with every sport, including baseball. For some reason folks seem to think that, unlike basketball and football, the head coach doesn't matter as much for baseball and hockey. To which, of course they do. It's the managers job to make sure his players are dialed in and playing aggressively, intelligently and cohesively in every sport just as it's the job of the front office to make sure that each team is built correctly and has the right components. Right now? It doesn't look or feel like either is doing the jobs they're supposed to do.
nope, and you gotta stop making it seem like managers are important.

a managers job is to make sure everyone is rested, that's all. a fiery manager, a manager that yells at you, get fired asap because managers aren't anything.

if the white sox owner wasn't besties with la russa, he would've been fired a month ago for throwing his players under the bus.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
isiah_thomas
Analyst
And1: 1,154

Post#1928 » by isiah_thomas » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:23 pm

The Real problem with the Yankees and even heard kay admit it is the analytics department . They only believe in home runs and now with the dead ball they can't adjust
blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 995

Post#1929 » by blue and orange » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:44 pm

moocow007 wrote:
blue and orange wrote:I wouldnt say the Yankees are cheap I say their poorly constructed, the front office cares more about showing everyone how genius they are then they are about winning championships. Getting rid of Girardi was dumb, George butted heads with managers as long as they were winning though he wouldnt get rid of them. I

Its not like Girardi wasnt using analytics himself he just wouldn't let the analytics department make out the lineup cards thats what I have issue with, yes they should have input but shouldn't be making the on the field decisions that should be the manager. The genius analytics team that had Happ inserted into an ALDS game against they Rays. Yes Boone won 100 plus games his first 2 years you had Girardi guys there still like Didi and CC that leadership is gone now. You got an undisciplined team that constantly gets thrown out on the base paths, commits errors, not to mention this swing out of your shoes approach never driving runners in. Team doesn't even try to steal any bases aside from maybe Tyler Wade. The Stanton contract is a killer, could have acquired Arenado, and still gotten two ace pitchers. There needs to a change in philosophical approach.

I wasnt even mad about getting swept by the Sox because this will at least make the front office rethink and blow up this analytics department, probably wishful thinking on my part.

As odd as it may sound given that the Yankees still have one of the highest payrolls in baseball, but they are an example of a half in, half out team. They are willing to spend money but not enough to separate. They keep onto their own players for way too long cause they don't want to be left having to spend money getting some other teams players to the point where their own players have no more value and they are then forced to scramble for scraps. That Aaron Hicks contract is a perfect example of this half baked modus operandi that's been around for a lot longer than most fans realize. 7 years $70 million right? $10 million a year. Great. But the **** has never been healthy. So you gamble that he'll be healthy to make that 7 year $70 mill a bargain but fail to realize that because you aren't willing to do whatever it takes, if his history holds, you are going to be screwed with a medium sized anchor of a contract (which is what Hicks is right now). They did this way back with cheaping out on Yoan Moncada who was the key player that got the Sox Chris Sale and as a result a WS championship. They got too cute and cheap trading essentially the same package for Sonny Gray instead of Justin Verlander and as a result cost them basically a WS championship. They'd honestly be better off just admitting they can't spend enough to win a WS title and instead do what the Red Sox did...trade your big ticket guys when they still had high value before it's too late cause you don't have the financial commitment to do whatever it takes, rebuild by acquiring assets, then pick your time to jump right back into things.

Exactly, Hicks was a steal of a trade but not a guy you extend to 7 years. Another thing is the Yankees don’t upgrade their positions, the Dodgers do that they give their start players the big deals. You couldve upgraded the position and sign someone like a Kevin Pillar to a shorter deal.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1930 » by moocow007 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:30 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
VirginiaKnickFan wrote:Yankees getting beaten by the the Phillies....FIRE BOONE and CASHMAN.

A new owner too please. With all of Dolan's faults and stupidity, I never really questioned his desire to win. He paid. Paid to lose, but he paid. I'm sure the Steinbrenners want to win, but they got their wallets in mind first and foremost, and maybe winning comes in as a lesser priority.

That's the thing, I think Hal Steinbrenner is interested in maximizing the bottom line. That includes winning but it doesn't necessarily include whatever it takes to win. That used to work when the Yankees were the only team that can outspend the other teams but that doesn't work now. And to compound things it's not that the other teams spend more over a long sustained period of time. No, the other teams pick and choose their times to spend and not spend. When they do spend, they go for it. When they don't spend, they trade their big tickets assets to rebuild their farm and build assets so that when the time is right, they jump right back into spending when their young cheap guys are ready to peak. The Yankees? They seem to like to spend their time on the "spend a lot all the time but not enough to separate" treadmill. What that does is always fills the seats cause they never ever suck and always remain competitive but don't have the horses to win it all.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1931 » by moocow007 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:30 pm

blue and orange wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
blue and orange wrote:I wouldnt say the Yankees are cheap I say their poorly constructed, the front office cares more about showing everyone how genius they are then they are about winning championships. Getting rid of Girardi was dumb, George butted heads with managers as long as they were winning though he wouldnt get rid of them. I

Its not like Girardi wasnt using analytics himself he just wouldn't let the analytics department make out the lineup cards thats what I have issue with, yes they should have input but shouldn't be making the on the field decisions that should be the manager. The genius analytics team that had Happ inserted into an ALDS game against they Rays. Yes Boone won 100 plus games his first 2 years you had Girardi guys there still like Didi and CC that leadership is gone now. You got an undisciplined team that constantly gets thrown out on the base paths, commits errors, not to mention this swing out of your shoes approach never driving runners in. Team doesn't even try to steal any bases aside from maybe Tyler Wade. The Stanton contract is a killer, could have acquired Arenado, and still gotten two ace pitchers. There needs to a change in philosophical approach.

I wasnt even mad about getting swept by the Sox because this will at least make the front office rethink and blow up this analytics department, probably wishful thinking on my part.

As odd as it may sound given that the Yankees still have one of the highest payrolls in baseball, but they are an example of a half in, half out team. They are willing to spend money but not enough to separate. They keep onto their own players for way too long cause they don't want to be left having to spend money getting some other teams players to the point where their own players have no more value and they are then forced to scramble for scraps. That Aaron Hicks contract is a perfect example of this half baked modus operandi that's been around for a lot longer than most fans realize. 7 years $70 million right? $10 million a year. Great. But the **** has never been healthy. So you gamble that he'll be healthy to make that 7 year $70 mill a bargain but fail to realize that because you aren't willing to do whatever it takes, if his history holds, you are going to be screwed with a medium sized anchor of a contract (which is what Hicks is right now). They did this way back with cheaping out on Yoan Moncada who was the key player that got the Sox Chris Sale and as a result a WS championship. They got too cute and cheap trading essentially the same package for Sonny Gray instead of Justin Verlander and as a result cost them basically a WS championship. They'd honestly be better off just admitting they can't spend enough to win a WS title and instead do what the Red Sox did...trade your big ticket guys when they still had high value before it's too late cause you don't have the financial commitment to do whatever it takes, rebuild by acquiring assets, then pick your time to jump right back into things.

Exactly, Hicks was a steal of a trade but not a guy you extend to 7 years. Another thing is the Yankees don’t upgrade their positions, the Dodgers do that they give their start players the big deals. You couldve upgraded the position and sign someone like a Kevin Pillar to a shorter deal.

Yep exactly.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1932 » by moocow007 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:44 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Davis18 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
International signings have to be at least 33% of a team's signings the last decade. I think you'd have to count them.

Most of high profile international signings didn't even reached majors.
Martian hype better be real.

Most players don't make it. What are there, like 10,000 levels of minor league ball, all feeding 25 pro spots each team?
That's counting the international, college, HS players that are signed.

I think Cashman could have done far better with position players, but his track record of having the minor leagues deliver isn't bad. Obviously the farm system got a boost when they flipped Chapman and Miller and it got up into the top 3 for a bit, but even before that it did a decent job of producing some arms and players, if not for the major league club, then in for trades that brought players.

But it's not a runaway success and also, like stated, not great at position players.

I'm not holding my breath on Jasson Dominguez being anything either.

I recall when Yoán Moncada was going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

For a team with the budge and reach that the Yankees have in the international scouting arena, especially when you consider that they are not limited by their record resulting on bottom of the barrel picks they really have not done well at all with their international signings in the past decade. Of the players on their 40 man roster only 11 are international amateur signings and only 2 have really done anything in the majors (Gary Sanchez and Luis Severino).
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#1933 » by GEOLINK » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:03 pm

Kind of cheering to lose at this point just to see if heads will roll.

Tank szn has transitioned from the Knicks to the Yankees.

Even if this team gets hot and goes on a streak, I have no trust in them maintaining it. There are way better teams than the Yankees right now.
NYKinMIA
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,917

Post#1934 » by NYKinMIA » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:02 pm

Buck Show 2.0 time?
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#1935 » by GEOLINK » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:27 pm

Read on Twitter

My bull detector meter is going off right now.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#1936 » by GEOLINK » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:35 pm

Read on Twitter

Cashman must've gotten the OK from daddy to spend more... in JUNE.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#1937 » by GEOLINK » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:09 am

Hot take: Do we trade Gary now or?...
Davis18
Senior
And1: 674

Post#1938 » by Davis18 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:32 am

GEOLINK wrote:Hot take: Do we trade Gary now or?...

His value is still too low.
You gotta keep him for now.
I was hoping Higgy would step up.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,784

Post#1939 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:47 am

GEOLINK wrote:
Read on Twitter

Cashman must've gotten the OK from daddy to spend more... in JUNE.

Should be an influx of .230 hitting outfielders any minute now
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,784

Post#1940 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:48 am

Cashman about to trade away all the Yankees best prospects for oft injured borderline starter types

Return to New York Knicks