ImageImageImageImageImage

New York Yankees Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,766

Re: New York Yankees Thread 

Post#1961 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:24 pm

blueNorange wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
And hire who?

I don't know what you think about Showalter, he's a great manager/baseball man, but whatever you think the organization turned it around during his tenure with Stick Michael. They built the foundation for Torre's WS rings. As a result, I think he knows what it takes having lived through it previously. Certainly, there's nothing special, at least IMO, about Boone as a manager. But re Cashman, you've at least won with him. A lot, in fact. I'd get rid of Boone just to shake things up for now but I think you bring Showalter in as a consultant (and interim manager) and come up with a plan to proceed forward.

The problem with this organization is at the top. Hal Steinbrenner is King of the Half Bake. He doesn't want to fully embrace his cheapness and being called out for it by the fanbase so he throws just enough money to avoid that but he's not willing to do what it takes to really buy his way to a title.

But since you can't trade or fire an owner the only options you have are to find someone that can do better given your half in half out ways. Cashman has done well record wise as a GM. But he did most of that while given an unlimited budget and relatively little competition from big spending clubs. But now with a lot more teams willing to spend big and one of his hands tied behind his back I think it's showing that he's really not that great a GM. As far as Aaron Boone? A manager is given what he's given but a measure of his ability as a manager is how much blood he can wring from the stone he's given. Boone has pretty much failed to show that he can do anything more than any number of guys could. For the Yankees that's just not enough.

I would suggest looking to replace one of the two if not both. Manager is easier especially in the Yankees situation.

Bring Showalter in and see if his gruff, manipulative, demanding managerial style can snap this team back to life. If that fails then you know it may be the players and this team that is put together and well...next up in the firing line...

lol @ calling hal cheap when they have 2 guys with 300m contracts and the 2nd highest payroll in baseball.

you just want buy everyone don't you like the good ol days. :lol:

Well damn :lol:
Free Palestine
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,282

Post#1962 » by KnicksGadfly » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:39 pm

blueNorange wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
And hire who?

I don't know what you think about Showalter, he's a great manager/baseball man, but whatever you think the organization turned it around during his tenure with Stick Michael. They built the foundation for Torre's WS rings. As a result, I think he knows what it takes having lived through it previously. Certainly, there's nothing special, at least IMO, about Boone as a manager. But re Cashman, you've at least won with him. A lot, in fact. I'd get rid of Boone just to shake things up for now but I think you bring Showalter in as a consultant (and interim manager) and come up with a plan to proceed forward.

The problem with this organization is at the top. Hal Steinbrenner is King of the Half Bake. He doesn't want to fully embrace his cheapness and being called out for it by the fanbase so he throws just enough money to avoid that but he's not willing to do what it takes to really buy his way to a title.

But since you can't trade or fire an owner the only options you have are to find someone that can do better given your half in half out ways. Cashman has done well record wise as a GM. But he did most of that while given an unlimited budget and relatively little competition from big spending clubs. But now with a lot more teams willing to spend big and one of his hands tied behind his back I think it's showing that he's really not that great a GM. As far as Aaron Boone? A manager is given what he's given but a measure of his ability as a manager is how much blood he can wring from the stone he's given. Boone has pretty much failed to show that he can do anything more than any number of guys could. For the Yankees that's just not enough.

I would suggest looking to replace one of the two if not both. Manager is easier especially in the Yankees situation.

Bring Showalter in and see if his gruff, manipulative, demanding managerial style can snap this team back to life. If that fails then you know it may be the players and this team that is put together and well...next up in the firing line...

lol @ calling hal cheap when they have 2 guys with 300m contracts and the 2nd highest payroll in baseball.

He is cheap and also is in charge of a premiere market. Maybe he’s not cheap compared to Tampa Bay, but he runs the Yankees. I don’t have a lot of patience for that, considering his history. I also think there’s a balance to it. Let’s say that your center fielder is injury prone and your pitching staff isn’t so good. I’m not asking you to sign the top FAs or Bauer, but I think it would have been good to supplement gambles like Kluber with solid signings. Giancarlo is a sunk cost. You know he’s gonna get hurt too. All of the Yankees problems were foreseeable.

I actually had little patience for the Wilpons either when they ran your team, but with Cohen, I actually feel like this is a guy who wants to win and is actually a fan of his team first and wants to gun for a chip. I don’t feel that with the ownership of this team. I think they’ll be happy if we make a comeback, get to the wildcard and lose.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 15,023

Post#1963 » by Fury » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:42 pm

blueNorange wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
And hire who?

Yankee revenue is over 3x their player payroll.
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#1964 » by GEOLINK » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:51 pm

You know what would suck more than losing with a below salary tax payroll team? Losing with an above salary tax payroll team.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,196

Post#1965 » by blueNorange » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:00 pm

Fury wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

meaning? that he should go over the tax threshold? :lol:

it don't work that way jack, 2nd highest payroll isn't cheap -- y'all just spoiled.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#1966 » by moocow007 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:31 pm

blueNorange wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
And hire who?

You're missing the point...as usual. The point is he's playing a game that he STILL has more cards than anyone else but refuses to use them all. And the Yankees revenue far outdistances most of his competitors. They are willing to play all their cards, he is not. So he might as well just fold and go to the lower $ table. That's what he really wants. So do it. Stop trying to pretend to be something that he's not. I thought that was pretty clear and obvious. But apparently not. :lol: :roll:
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1967 » by moocow007 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:32 pm

blueNorange wrote:
Fury wrote:
blueNorange wrote:lol @ calling hal cheap when they have 2 guys with 300m contracts and the 2nd highest payroll in baseball.

it don't work that way jack, 2nd highest payroll isn't cheap -- y'all just spoiled.

Still missing the point. No one is saying that he's a cheapskate.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#1968 » by blueNorange » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:37 pm

moocow007 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

You're missing the point...as usual. The point is he's playing a game that he STILL has more cards than anyone else but refuses to use them all. And the Yankees revenue far outdistances most of his competitors. They are willing to play all their cards, he is not. So he might as well just fold and go to the lower $ table. That's what he really wants. So do it. Stop trying to pretend to be something that he's not. I thought that was pretty clear and obvious. But apparently not. :lol: :roll:

you could've just said "yes, i want the yankees to buy everyone again because i missed those days"
LOL Y U MAD THO?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#1969 » by blueNorange » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:41 pm

moocow007 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
Fury wrote:

you and every yankee fan complaining about payroll rn

LOL Y U MAD THO?
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1970 » by moocow007 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:50 pm

blueNorange wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:meaning? that he should go over the tax threshold? :lol:

you and every yankee fan complaining about payroll rn

You still don't get it.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1971 » by moocow007 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:51 pm

blueNorange wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:lol @ calling hal cheap when they have 2 guys with 300m contracts and the 2nd highest payroll in baseball.

you could've just said "yes, i want the yankees to buy everyone again because i missed those days"

Where did I say that? I said that IF he wants to go the "buy everyone" route then he should cause if he doesn't he cannot win with all the other teams now that is going that route? Really try to stay with me here. I know you're your usual worked up self.

As with the Knicks. Either you decide that a traditional rebuild is for you or you go and get the guys that can help you win sooner. Pick one. Can't be doing both/neither. And that's what the Yankees are at.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#1972 » by blueNorange » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:56 pm

moocow007 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Where did I say that? I said that IF he wants to go the "buy everyone" route then he should cause if he doesn't he cannot win with all the other teams now that is going that route? Really try to stay with me here. I know you're your usual worked up self.

you said hal is cheap, when he is not cheap.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Fury
RealGM

Post#1973 » by Fury » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:02 pm

blueNorange wrote:
Fury wrote:

So you think he should just pocket the money?
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#1974 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:49 pm

‘We suck right now’: Brian Cashman sounds off on Yankees.

Well duh...and who is responsible for assembling this make-up of duds....you guessed it...Cashman. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#1975 » by blueNorange » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:27 am

Fury wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
Fury wrote:

like every owner in every sport does?

people own teams to make a profit off of it, and the yankees poured in enough money to have the 2nd highest payroll in baseball.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Fury
RealGM

Post#1976 » by Fury » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:36 am

blueNorange wrote:
Fury wrote:
blueNorange wrote:meaning? that he should go over the tax threshold? :lol:

like every owner in every sport does?

people own teams to make a profit off of it, and the yankees poured in enough money to have the 2nd highest payroll in baseball.

I care about the team, not the owners in the sport. He’s cheap. If you’re only spending 191 million and the team pockets over 600 million, that’s cheap. It’s the ratio. Are billionaires who donate a few thousand to charity not considered cheap because most people aren’t able to? Hell no.
Fury
RealGM

Post#1977 » by Fury » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:39 am

Stingiest franchise in baseball

Return that **** to fans and the state, who made the franchise as valuable as it is.
Fury
RealGM

Post#1978 » by Fury » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:41 am

“The just-published book, Inside the Empire: The True Power Behind the New York Yankees, by Bob Klapisch and Paul Solotaroff, provides quite a lot of valuable insight, especially regarding the ongoing stadium costs. Klapisch and Solotaroff report that the deal to get the new Yankee Stadium built utilized $1.4 billion in public funds. Plus, because IRS rules prohibit raising public funds without incurring federal taxes on the loans, club officials negotiated with then-mayor of New York Michael Bloomberg for the city to own the new ballpark. This saved the club hundreds of millions of dollars in future taxes, and enabled them to borrow at the municipal rate.

The team pays $75 million per year in mortgage and interest on the bond, but “pays the city not a cent in rent nor a cent from what it earns from the stadium.” Not only that, but MLB allows the Yankees to deduct the $75 million from their revenue sharing bill.

”In effect, the other teams are paying one-third of our note for the new stadium,” Yankees president Randy Levine was quoted as saying in Inside the Empire.”

You defending this ****?!
Fury
RealGM

Post#1979 » by Fury » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:42 am

“ There’s more. According to Forbes, since MLB encourages teams to upstream revenue and downstream expenses, certain Yankees revenue streams weren’t included in their figures. Among those are Yankees ownership stakes in YES, Legends Hospitality, and NYC Football Club — all cash cows. The team’s 20% stake in YES, which was valued at $5 billion before the Steinbrenners bought it back from Fox last month, pays an estimated “tens of millions in dividends” annually, according to Inside the Empire. The book also reports that Legends posts annual sales of over $700 million, and as a separate company is valued at over $1 billion. The Yankees also own 20% of the soccer team.

”Most of that off-site income is not subject to revenue sharing, so the Yankees keep 90% of it,” wrote Klapisch and Solotaroff. The co-authors also describe YES as “a cash cow on steroids.” The Yankees could conceivably be reaping hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue from these various streams that weren’t included in Forbes’ $668 million figure. Forbes managing editor Mike Ozanian called the Yankees “the most incredibly lucrative property in the history of sports-entertainment content.”
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#1980 » by GEOLINK » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:01 am

Ohtani's incredible.

Return to New York Knicks