ImageImageImageImageImage

Allonzo Trier

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,486

Re: Allonzo Trier 

Post#21 » by CharlesOakley » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:47 pm

All the kids (except DS Jr.) should be getting minutes. If we aren't heavily playing vets so we can trade them then I don't understand what we are doing.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,509

Post#22 » by Fat Kat » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:05 pm

CharlesOakley wrote:All the kids (except DS Jr.) should be getting minutes. If we aren't heavily playing vets so we can trade them then I don't understand what we are doing.

Why not DSJr?
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
YungKnicks
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#23 » by YungKnicks » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:06 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:More Trier DNP's upcoming. I figure Bullock and Ellington will pick up those RJ minutes.

At least, I hope so. Anything that causes agita and anxiety on here.
Right? I've never understood why we get so invested in fringe players like Trier, Baker and a bunch of other players who visibly are not impressive.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk

Nah.. Trier and Baker are two whole different players with different ceilings.... Trier has a way stronger resume... and has drop 25+ point multiple times last year off the bench. Baker is no where near an NBA rotational player.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,653

Post#24 » by prophet_of_rage » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:43 pm

YungKnicks wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:More Trier DNP's upcoming. I figure Bullock and Ellington will pick up those RJ minutes.

Right? I've never understood why we get so invested in fringe players like Trier, Baker and a bunch of other players who visibly are not impressive.

Nah.. Trier and Baker are two whole different players with different ceilings.... Trier has a way stronger resume... and has drop 25+ point multiple times last year off the bench. Baker is no where near an NBA rotational player.

Baker still had a bunch of fans clamoring for him like Trier does and neither is close to even being a regular rotational piece.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#25 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:41 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
YungKnicks wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:Right? I've never understood why we get so invested in fringe players like Trier, Baker and a bunch of other players who visibly are not impressive.

Baker still had a bunch of fans clamoring for him like Trier does and neither is close to even being a regular rotational piece.

None of this should prevent them from playing on a bad team which the Knicks have been for a long time.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,646

Post#26 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:32 am

Trier should agree to go down to the G League and sharpen his game. There's no shame in do this though he would absolutely carve up the G League. But he could get the necessary minutes there to find that sweet spot between being a chucker and learning how to make others around him better with his scoring abilities.

We should not let this kid go.
Free Palestine
YungKnicks
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#27 » by YungKnicks » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:54 am

prophet_of_rage wrote:
YungKnicks wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:Right? I've never understood why we get so invested in fringe players like Trier, Baker and a bunch of other players who visibly are not impressive.

Ok, your opinion... facts Trier was one last year. Baker was never one. Facts
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#28 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:11 am

YungKnicks wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
YungKnicks wrote:Nah.. Trier and Baker are two whole different players with different ceilings.... Trier has a way stronger resume... and has drop 25+ point multiple times last year off the bench. Baker is no where near an NBA rotational player.

Ok, your opinion... facts Trier was one last year. Baker was never one. Facts
Facts ... Trier isn't a rotation piece this year. Facts the moments he has played have not made a difference for the Knicks. Facts Trier is an iso scorer who doesn't create for others and does not defend well. Facts Trier is not needed to help the Knicks yourh get better nor.is he needed to keep losing.

Opinion ... I don't get the fixation with his sitting on the bench.

prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#29 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:13 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Trier should agree to go down to the G League and sharpen his game. There's no shame in do this though he would absolutely carve up the G League. But he could get the necessary minutes there to find that sweet spot between being a chucker and learning how to make others around him better with his scoring abilities.

We should not let this kid go.
I can see them doing the Cory Joseph San Antonio try to suppress value. Didn't work for SA but we can find another Trier.

The kid in G-league can do what Trier does.

Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,324

Post#30 » by Hes_On_Fire » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:31 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:

Trier is far better than Baker, and I like the WAY Baker played. It's just he didn't have quite enough athleticism or talent.

Trier is a bonafide NBA player, at least in a limited way, that way being scoring.

Which is still a nice pick up as a UDFA.

Comparing Trier to Baker is clearly trolling, and I don’t even like Trier.

I stopped trying to reason “The Prophet”’s posts other than it’s probably a Knicks employee.
New York Knicks franchise W-L record as of 9/2/22 since James L Dolan assumed full ownership (2001):

673-1,007
KNIXFAN_83
Analyst
And1: 1,320

Post#31 » by KNIXFAN_83 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:25 am

We can all agree and disagree on management, personnel and coaching. The one thing i feel the knicks have been bad at without a doubt is how they have utilIzed the GLeague. It’s absolutely pointless to have him on the bench and not playing in the GLeague. Knox and Frank should have spent some time down there. It’s there for young players to work on their games.
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,486

Post#32 » by CharlesOakley » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:53 am

Fat Kat wrote:
CharlesOakley wrote:All the kids (except DS Jr.) should be getting minutes. If we aren't heavily playing vets so we can trade them then I don't understand what we are doing.

Why not DSJr?

I think he is a lost cause. He worked on his shooting all summer and his shooting is worse than it's ever been. He tried to get his body right but doesn't look in shape and is constantly injured. I think he is mentally fragile and I can't stand his pouting bitch face when he is on the court. I also can't get behind a guy who is about to be out of the league but plays with no effort.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#33 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:08 am

KNIXFAN_83 wrote:We can all agree and disagree on management, personnel and coaching. The one thing i feel the knicks have been bad at without a doubt is how they have utilIzed the GLeague. It’s absolutely pointless to have him on the bench and not playing in the GLeague. Knox and Frank should have spent some time down there. It’s there for young players to work on their games.
I'll second that. The Raptors had their players playing both. The Rapd do perhaps the best job of developing in the league.

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,036

Post#34 » by Capn'O » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:17 am

It was never about Ron Baker the player. It was a movement.

Mostly to have people put that funny picture in their avatars. That was really the crux of it. For me, anyway.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,206

Post#35 » by aq_ua » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:28 am

Absolutely nothing amusing about this photo.
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#36 » by blanko » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:10 am

KNIXFAN_83 wrote:We can all agree and disagree on management, personnel and coaching. The one thing i feel the knicks have been bad at without a doubt is how they have utilIzed the GLeague. It’s absolutely pointless to have him on the bench and not playing in the GLeague. Knox and Frank should have spent some time down there. It’s there for young players to work on their games.
The league isnt really ready yet. Also i think agents and players still have a stigma on the g league. Things are changing slowly.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,128

Post#37 » by moocow007 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:37 pm

ny-n-md wrote:https://www.sny.tv/knicks/news/despite-reduced-role-allonzo-trier-has-been-helping-knicks-however-he-can/312469802

"I think he's been really professional," Knicks interim coach Mike Miller said earlier this week. "He's one of the first ones in the gym every day getting work in. You watch his body language and his excitement on the sidelines, he's into the games, he's into his team. He's been highly professional this year."

I'm always out there trying to give them little tips on the floor if I see something. I say it to Mook (Marcus Morris) all the time, 'Hey, they're guarding you like this.' Me being a scorer, I can see some things on defense. And I'll just be like, 'Hey, you can maybe get to this spot right here. This is where it's open on the floor. You can get shots (here),'" Trier said recently. "And I've seen Mook be effective and score some points doing that. He'll be like, 'OK, I got you.' Or I'll say, 'Hey man, they're going to try to ice you. If you flip the screen, remember to go left and (you'll) be able to shoot a shot right from the elbow. Just little things like that.

"I'll say to Mitch (Mitchell Robinson), 'the only way (the player you're guarding) can really score is if he gets you out of position, so he's going to try to get you off of your feet first. Just things like that, trying to be a positive teammate."

Robinson appreciates Trier's insight.

"He tells me all kinds of stuff that he sees," the second-year center says.

Trier presumably would prefer to be on the court. And maybe if the Knicks trade some veterans prior to the deadline, it will open up some minutes for him.

In the meantime, Trier is committed to helping his teammates.

"It's not about me, it's about this team," he said. "Me doing my job is just to come in, work on my craft every day and try to get better at my game. And if I'm playing, do my job. Go out there, do what I do, contribute. And if I don't (play), my way of contributing has to be to cheer my teammates on, giving them little insights into what I see on the floor and just be positive…. Just try to be true to the game. That's what it's all about. Just respect the game and respect your teammates. Go out and be the best teammate you can be."

Now that RJ is out can he finally get some burn? This article shows he has a good mindset as a teammate. Why is it not rewarded with minutes?

We let bricklayers shoot at a way worse percentage than him and get beat defensively, yet they continue to play. Somehow he’s a problem when he gets lost on defense though. I don’t know what happened with his role and minutes this season.

Honestly this isn't all that surprising. Sean Miller, head coach of Arizona (where Trier played), has said numerous times that Trier is usually one of the first guy in and last guy to leave the gym and is one of the hardest workers he's ever coached. Miller has also complimented on his competitiveness and overall understanding of the game. IMO, Trier, like all the young guys, needs time to learn what it takes to be successful in the NBA now that you're not the top dog and everyone else is just as fast, strong or talented as you are.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,128

Post#38 » by moocow007 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:53 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:

Trier is far better than Baker, and I like the WAY Baker played. It's just he didn't have quite enough athleticism or talent.

Trier is a bonafide NBA player, at least in a limited way, that way being scoring.

Which is still a nice pick up as a UDFA.

That's correct. Trier is by far significantly better than Baker and I was actually the guy that said that the Knicks should look at Baker before the draft. Trier had 1st round talent and I was expecting him to go in the late 1st. The second that he went undrafted he immediately was at the top of my list of guys the Knicks (or any team) should be going after as an undrafted FA. What clearly bothers folks about Trier is that he's clearly an offense-centric player. Some Knick fans immediately recoil at that thought and say he's garbage. He's hardly that. As Sean Miller has said on numerous occassions, Trier was one of the most competitive and hard working players he's ever coached. He was the one guy that Miller could rely on if the team needed points to be able to score.

Would it be great if he can also defend? Sure but let's be a bit realistic here. Just because he isn't a good defender doesn't make him useless or garbage. People seem to forget that you win the NBA by scoring more points than the other team. Especially in today's game where defending is much harder than scoring. For a guy that ISO'd as often as he did and especially as a rookie, Trier was extremely efficient. That clearly indicates an extremely high skill set in that one area. An efficient volume scorer is not valueless. In fact it's something that most teams would love to be able to bring off the bench. Heck, we've had inefficient volume shooters spend long careers in the NBA playing major roles for teams (our own former Knick Jamal Crawford spent 18 years in the NBA as a key rotation player even though he was superbly inefficient).

So is Trier great? no. Is he someone that the Knicks should build around? probably not. But does that mean he's utter trash and inconsequential? no way. Certainly not based on his rookie season.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,049

Post#39 » by GONYK » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:31 pm

blanko wrote:
The league isnt really ready yet. Also i think agents and players still have a stigma on the g league. Things are changing slowly.

In terms of G-League, if a player has proven they can be productive at the NBA level, what do they gain from the G-League?

Players don't get better from going against inferior competition, and the big team has way more resources, even if it's just practice.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#40 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:37 pm

GONYK wrote:
blanko wrote:

In terms of G-League, if a player has proven they can be productive at the NBA level, what do they gain from the G-League?

Players don't get better from going against inferior competition, and the big team has way more resources, even if it's just practice.
The Raptors did it. Past a certain point I don't think they can go to the G League anyway, but we should have our young guys go. It would be like a longer summer league.

Return to New York Knicks