ImageImageImageImageImage

Kobe Bryant Dies in Helicopter Crash (Kobe Bryant Memorial Video, Pg 24)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,564

Re: Kobe Bryant Dies in Helicopter Crash 

Post#281 » by cgmw » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:27 am

GEOLINK wrote:I'm asking myself what pilot would clear the helicopter from going in the air if the weather was terrible, or rather the visibility wasn't good? I swear I read about celebrities dying in the air way too often.

If my daughter had a tournament to play in, I probably wouldn’t have taken no for an answer. And I’m no Mamba.

I’m not an emotional human being, but this one got to me. My daughter had a sporting event today, and... I can’t even finish this thought.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,339

Post#282 » by Hes_On_Fire » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:55 am

cgmw wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:I'm asking myself what pilot would clear the helicopter from going in the air if the weather was terrible, or rather the visibility wasn't good? I swear I read about celebrities dying in the air way too often.

If my daughter had a tournament to play in, I probably wouldn’t have taken no for an answer. And I’m no Mamba.

I’m not an emotional human being, but this one got to me. My daughter had a sporting event today, and... I can’t even finish this thought.

Well, I get that. But he could have drove.

Maybe he got bad guidance from the pilot but I guess we'll find out in the weeks and months to come.
New York Knicks franchise W-L record as of 9/2/22 since James L Dolan assumed full ownership (2001):

673-1,007
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,564

Post#283 » by cgmw » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:59 am

Hes_On_Fire wrote:
cgmw wrote:

Maybe he got bad guidance from the pilot but I guess we'll find out in the weeks and months to come.

Yeah I realize the truth will come much later if it ever comes at all, but I can’t stop thinking about the time I raced 100+ mph like an assh*le to get my daughter to a big sporting event on time when she was about 13.

PSA to all the other competitive dads out there... it can f*cking wait.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,187

Post#284 » by Capn'O » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:03 am

cgmw wrote:
Hes_On_Fire wrote:
cgmw wrote:If my daughter had a tournament to play in, I probably wouldn’t have taken no for an answer. And I’m no Mamba.

Yeah I realize the truth will come much later if it ever comes at all, but I can’t stop thinking about the time I raced 100+ mph like an assh*le to get my daughter to a big sporting event on time when she was about 13.

PSA to all the other competitive dads out there... it can f*cking wait.

You're really hitting on something here. That's the part that makes this so much more relatable than many celebrity deaths. He wasn't living fast and furious. The worst you can say here is that he may have been being an overzealous parent. Well **** me... that's mortifying.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,389

Post#285 » by Ray Williams » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:00 am

She paused before she said that, why isn’t this b!tch fired already?????!!!!
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,709

Post#286 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:19 am

I read the following post off the comments section of the HuffPost article on the crash from someone who purports to live in the area. Take it for whatever you think it’s worth. If anyone here is familiar with the territory, perhaps you can shed some light on whether there’s any truth to this.

Terrible simply awful. I ran into him often in Newport Coast food shopping for his children. Nice guy, great smile. But someone made a decision to fly in this soup we here in Ca call the Marine Layer and it was thick this AM. He had to fly northern end of the San Fernando valley it seems to get around it and get special permission to fly in the clouds VFR and may have run back into thick clouds coming out of the Valley when they made that turn. When it crashed people were in church 300 feet away and below the crash site and couldn't see the crash so it looks like they flew it into the hill side with speed doing 153 actual ground speed.
Free Palestine
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#287 » by AmazingJason » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:11 am

When I first heard the news, I was shocked and speechless. I remained shocked for several hours, and then I weeped. I never feel this way about the deaths of famous people, but now I understand what it was like for those who went through their JFK, Princess Diana, Prince, Michael Jackson, etc. Not comparing this to 9-11, but this is another event in which I will always remember the who, what, when, where and how of my discovery of it for the first time.

I'm 39 years old, and I essentially grew up with Kobe. I witnessed his maturation from a teenager into a man, from potential into one of basketball's all-time greats...so many great memories and moments during what I consider to be the peak of NBA basketball as a sport.

I never post on RealGM anymore. One of the reasons why is because in the past few years, I made a decision to begin fulfilling my potential as a person. I ran the NYC marathon at 36 years old (training for my 2nd marathon right now). I learned to ride a bike at 36. After being divorced and given up for many years, I met my soulmate on a language learning app, moved halfway across the world to pursue a relationship with her, and we are now happily married. I tried to learn swimming at 37 (failed so far, but will try again soon). I learned to play the ukulele at 38 (proposed with it and just performed on it for our anniversary).

I still have so many dreams I'm currently pursuing and want to pursue. And for me, Kobe's passing is a reminder that life is short. He is a reminder to pursue your dreams and passions with all that you've got, no matter the situation, no matter how big or small, no matter the timeline. For me, that is the legacy through which I view him for having. That's the impact he's made on me. It's truly beyond his accomplishments as a basketball player. How he lived his life during his career and post-career is an inspiration that I will carry with me as I continue to live out my dreams to the fullest.

BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 7,624

Post#288 » by Knick4Real » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:17 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:I read the following post off the comments section of the HuffPost article on the crash from someone who purports to live in the area. Take it for whatever you think it’s worth. If anyone here is familiar with the territory, perhaps you can shed some light on whether there’s any truth to this.

Terrible simply awful. I ran into him often in Newport Coast food shopping for his children. Nice guy, great smile. But someone made a decision to fly in this soup we here in Ca call the Marine Layer and it was thick this AM. He had to fly northern end of the San Fernando valley it seems to get around it and get special permission to fly in the clouds VFR and may have run back into thick clouds coming out of the Valley when they made that turn. When it crashed people were in church 300 feet away and below the crash site and couldn't see the crash so it looks like they flew it into the hill side with speed doing 153 actual ground speed.

This is pretty accurate.

I lived in LA for a few years in the San Fernando Valley area (Studio City). That marine layer, particularly in the mornings and particularly in the mountainous regions, is no joke on a regular basis. I remember several occasions driving North on the 101 Freeway (toward the Calabasas area where the crash happened) or over what's known as the Laurel Canyon or Coldwater Canyon Drive and cars were forced to slow to a crawl because it was next to impossible to see more than 1 car length ahead of you. Or, in other words, visibility is almost always next to nothing because the fog (they actually call it "soup") is thick and just sits in the valley -- until the sun comes out and burns the marine layer away.

Authorities will provide more info in the coming days but to put it bluntly, that helicopter had NO business flying under those conditions. The news or police helicopters just don't do it under similar conditions at all. Unless Kobe specifically pushed for his private pilot to fly anyway, almost any pilot with years of experience in knowing the area would have said NO WAY to flying. This is truly a mystery!
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach

Post#289 » by Hes_On_Fire » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:28 am

Ray Williams wrote:

First and foremost, take your ass out of this thread if you’re gonna call a woman a btch. Kobe would slap the taste of your mouth for using that language for no apparent reason other than ignorance. This is a man who went above and beyond to bring respect to women and women’s athletics after his retirement. Posting this garbage and using that language in his thread is pathetic and disgraceful. See yourself out.
New York Knicks franchise W-L record as of 9/2/22 since James L Dolan assumed full ownership (2001):

673-1,007
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#290 » by MaseInYourFace » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:30 am

Kobe was immensely naturally talented of course but what made him stand apart and an inspiration to so many people was his work ethic and discipline. He brought a martial artist intensity that was rare for such a high level team athlete. Death is as much a part of life as life itself but you can’t help but be sad when you feel someone still had a lot more to give this world.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
FKF
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#291 » by FKF » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:43 am

I couldn't believe the news and still can't believe it. Not only him, but also the daughter. :nonono:

Why the H can't we know who else was on that flight.
I can't imagine how the wife and other kids must be feeling today. Talk about your like going from a dream to a nightmare in a second.
We tend to forget how fragile life is. I feel numb since yesterday, am speechless for hours. Shame on the NBA for not cancelling games last night.

LeBron & co must get that ring now as a tribute. The Lakers fans deserve it.
New-York Knicks fan since 1998, based in Paris, FR.
camillepd
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#292 » by camillepd » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:39 am

Hes_On_Fire wrote:
Ray Williams wrote:

First and foremost, take your ass out of this thread if you’re gonna call a woman a btch. Kobe would slap the taste of your mouth for using that language for no apparent reason other than ignorance. This is a man who went above and beyond to bring respect to women and women’s athletics after his retirement. Posting this garbage and using that language in his thread is pathetic and disgraceful. See yourself out.

Why blame the poster when this racist white female reporter is on the air calling people “****.” Yes, this racist White female reporter should be exposed!!! Don’t blame anyone else but her.
camillepd
Assistant Coach

Post#293 » by camillepd » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:48 am

Wow! 2018 cartoon shows Kobe Bryant in Copter crash:

Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,049

Post#294 » by Reign23 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:02 pm

AmazingJason wrote:When I first heard the news, I was shocked and speechless. I remained shocked for several hours, and then I weeped. I never feel this way about the deaths of famous people, but now I understand what it was like for those who went through their JFK, Princess Diana, Prince, Michael Jackson, etc. Not comparing this to 9-11, but this is another event in which I will always remember the who, what, when, where and how of my discovery of it for the first time.

I'm 39 years old, and I essentially grew up with Kobe. I witnessed his maturation from a teenager into a man, from potential into one of basketball's all-time greats...so many great memories and moments during what I consider to be the peak of NBA basketball as a sport.

I never post on RealGM anymore. One of the reasons why is because in the past few years, I made a decision to begin fulfilling my potential as a person. I ran the NYC marathon at 36 years old (training for my 2nd marathon right now). I learned to ride a bike at 36. After being divorced and given up for many years, I met my soulmate on a language learning app, moved halfway across the world to pursue a relationship with her, and we are now happily married. I tried to learn swimming at 37 (failed so far, but will try again soon). I learned to play the ukulele at 38 (proposed with it and just performed on it for our anniversary).

I still have so many dreams I'm currently pursuing and want to pursue. And for me, Kobe's passing is a reminder that life is short. He is a reminder to pursue your dreams and passions with all that you've got, no matter the situation, no matter how big or small, no matter the timeline. For me, that is the legacy through which I view him for having. That's the impact he's made on me. It's truly beyond his accomplishments as a basketball player. How he lived his life during his career and post-career is an inspiration that I will carry with me as I continue to live out my dreams to the fullest.

and 1.
formerly known as knickst4pe
Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 7,624

Post#295 » by Knick4Real » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:02 pm

FKF wrote:I couldn't believe the news and still can't believe it. Not only him, but also the daughter. :nonono:

Why the H can't we know who else was on that flight.
I can't imagine how the wife and other kids must be feeling today. Talk about your like going from a dream to a nightmare in a second.
We tend to forget how fragile life is. I feel numb since yesterday, am speechless for hours. Shame on the NBA for not cancelling games last night.

LeBron & co must get that ring now as a tribute. The Lakers fans deserve it.

The coroner has a duty to positively identify the bodies from the flight. Because the helicopter caught fire on impact, it's possible everyone was burned pretty badly. They need to be certain the bodies found near the wreckage are actually the people who boarded the chopper and they need to first notify the families before informing the public.
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,600

Post#296 » by El Poochio » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:58 pm

AmazingJason wrote:When I first heard the news, I was shocked and speechless. I remained shocked for several hours, and then I weeped. I never feel this way about the deaths of famous people, but now I understand what it was like for those who went through their JFK, Princess Diana, Prince, Michael Jackson, etc. Not comparing this to 9-11, but this is another event in which I will always remember the who, what, when, where and how of my discovery of it for the first time.

AmazingJason BACK???? Now I am gonna cry

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,600

Post#297 » by El Poochio » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:03 pm

Worst part about all of this is seeing the people who cant even spell their icon's name right

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach

Post#298 » by Hes_On_Fire » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:05 pm

camillepd wrote:
Hes_On_Fire wrote:
Ray Williams wrote:

Why blame the poster when this racist white female reporter is on the air calling people “****.” Yes, this racist White female reporter should be exposed!!! Don’t blame anyone else but her.

Exposed for what? I’d like to say more but this is Kobe Bryant’s memorial thread.

Stop posting utter garbage.

673-1,007
Jscratch1200
Sophomore
And1: 162

Post#299 » by Jscratch1200 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:15 pm

Came into work today and a bunch of these racist P.O.S just slandering Kobe. They don't watch basketball, only know Kobe by name and began ignorantly trashing the man.

I really can't deal with people like this. Takes all the energy in me not to lose it. Probably better that way because it would really be a waste of energy dealing with them.
camillepd
Assistant Coach

Post#300 » by camillepd » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:18 pm

Some had predicted Kobe’s cause of death:

Return to New York Knicks