ImageImageImageImageImage

Trades and Transactions thread - To the offseason!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,206

Re: Trades and Transactions thread - To the offseason! 

Post#1101 » by aq_ua » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:50 am

Richard4444 wrote:
aq_ua wrote:
BowlRips wrote:Putting things together...
I do expect the Knicks to be in the market for a contract dump this offseason..
Seems Brock Aller has an influential voice in this FA and he has a history of manipulating the salary cap.
Seems Leon Rose is focused on gearing up our assets to make a big trade.
There is no one we could realistically sign that would have any future value towards a trade..
But a future first round pick from any team way high above the tax will hold strong value in future trade negotiations..
Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they flipped the Clippers pick this year into a future 1 from someone else..
Only way we can get a star via trade is with amo. We have 2 Dallas 1st, its a good start but a third (or 4th) future 1st rounder might pay major dividends.

I would love to do a James Johnson and the Nets' first round pick, which will likely convey in 2021, as a cap dump trade. I would also an Evan Fornier and a 2021 Orlando second round pick dump trade.

Fornier has a positive value. He is shooting really good lately. We have to give them assets for the guy.

I dont know Wolves really needs cap space to burn a mid FRP in a salary dump deal. James Johnson is a solid rotation big. They are a small club team who doesnt attract much great FAs. And they probably will not have salary cap anyway. They can do a different deal to avoid paying luxury taxes if they must. Maybe its better to sign and trade Malik or Juan than give away a 15th pick in a salary dump deal.

Maybe. I do wonder what the new reality of a salary cap decrease does to a team's planning and the new normal of contract value. The salary cap for sure is going down, so that means any contract signed in the pre-Covid period is going to be less valuable than before.

Minnie is going to want to extend Beasley and maybe Juancho. Maybe that James Johnson cap space (he is for sure going to exercise his player option) is a lot more valuable than a future low first round pick (depending on how you view KD's health) if it helps them retain those two guys.

Orlando might draft a shooting guard - are they going to want to keep paying Fornier and Ross and combined $30.7mm a year?

I don't know, it doesn't seem so cut and dry.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#1102 » by Mattya » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:26 am

aq_ua wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:
aq_ua wrote:I would love to do a James Johnson and the Nets' first round pick, which will likely convey in 2021, as a cap dump trade. I would also an Evan Fornier and a 2021 Orlando second round pick dump trade.

Fornier has a positive value. He is shooting really good lately. We have to give them assets for the guy.

I dont know Wolves really needs cap space to burn a mid FRP in a salary dump deal. James Johnson is a solid rotation big. They are a small club team who doesnt attract much great FAs. And they probably will not have salary cap anyway. They can do a different deal to avoid paying luxury taxes if they must. Maybe its better to sign and trade Malik or Juan than give away a 15th pick in a salary dump deal.

Maybe. I do wonder what the new reality of a salary cap decrease does to a team's planning and the new normal of contract value. The salary cap for sure is going down, so that means any contract signed in the pre-Covid period is going to be less valuable than before.

Minnie is going to want to extend Beasley and maybe Juancho. Maybe that James Johnson cap space (he is for sure going to exercise his player option) is a lot more valuable than a future low first round pick (depending on how you view KD's health) if it helps them retain those two guys.

Orlando might draft a shooting guard - are they going to want to keep paying Fornier and Ross and combined $30.7mm a year?

As a Wolves fan I would be shocked if they surrendered a pick to dump salary on someone who was useful for them. They would have to be pretty confident they were going to be able to use that money in free agency. It doesn’t make sense from a team salary perspective for them to dump Johnson for any other reason considering they will likely lose any flexibility they gained from the move the instant they resign Beasley and Juancho. If anything they will be looking to take on longer salary in return for Johnson so that they can use that salary as filler in a future big move as I suspect Towns and DLo are pushing for a Booker trade demand eventually.
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,206

Post#1103 » by aq_ua » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:43 am

Mattya wrote:
aq_ua wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:

As a Wolves fan I would be shocked if they surrendered a pick to dump salary on someone who was useful for them. They would have to be pretty confident they were going to be able to use that money in free agency. It doesn’t make sense from a team salary perspective for them to dump Johnson for any other reason considering they will likely lose any flexibility they gained from the move the instant they resign Beasley and Juancho. If anything they will be looking to take on longer salary in return for Johnson so that they can use that salary as filler in a future big move as I suspect Towns and DLo are pushing for a Booker trade demand eventually.

I guess we'll see - the salary cap is going up and might even go down, while the current contracts will continue to rise. Will the Wolves ownership go above the cap and potentially into the tax for a team that is clearly in the midst of a rebuild? Beasley and Hernangomez will have suitors in the market so they won't come back on the cheap.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#1104 » by Mattya » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:09 pm

aq_ua wrote:
Mattya wrote:
aq_ua wrote:Maybe. I do wonder what the new reality of a salary cap decrease does to a team's planning and the new normal of contract value. The salary cap for sure is going down, so that means any contract signed in the pre-Covid period is going to be less valuable than before.

I guess we'll see - the salary cap is going up and might even go down, while the current contracts will continue to rise. Will the Wolves ownership go above the cap and potentially into the tax for a team that is clearly in the midst of a rebuild? Beasley and Hernangomez will have suitors in the market so they won't come back on the cheap.

Nobody can say, same could be said for every NBA team though, and we have no idea what time of measures the NBA will take to keep money and salaries normal. There will still less costly options for Minnesota than dumping Johnson with a first round pick. They have non guaranteed deals as well as buy out and stretch options that don’t require them to give up a first.
bleedblue3303
Sixth Man
And1: 1,127

Post#1105 » by bleedblue3303 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:40 pm

I asked this in the draft thread. But its a trade so figured to ask her as well. If you could trade RJ for Lamelo straight up and still keep our other draft picks would you do it?
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,820

Post#1106 » by spree2kawhi » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:59 pm

I don't think either will be a very exciting player. They'll be ok.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#1107 » by knickstape4ever » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:59 am

bleedblue3303 wrote:I asked this in the draft thread. But its a trade so figured to ask her as well. If you could trade RJ for Lamelo straight up and still keep our other draft picks would you do it?

no, RJ would go #1 in this draft IMO
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,262

Post#1108 » by Deeeez Knicks » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:56 pm

Read on Twitter
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,307

Post#1109 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:45 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hope he tells the HC that. The kid has value IMO. This franchise is just lost.
:beer: RIP mags
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#1110 » by br7knicks » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:33 pm

Damn, melo looks good.

I wonder how this will impact his game. He might not be able to bullyball as much, but he may have a quicker first step now.

Dude might be deadly going to rim now, or running around the perimeter
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#1111 » by newyorker4ever » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:43 pm

BowlRips wrote:Putting things together...
I do expect the Knicks to be in the market for a contract dump this offseason..
Seems Brock Aller has an influential voice in this FA and he has a history of manipulating the salary cap.
Seems Leon Rose is focused on gearing up our assets to make a big trade.
There is no one we could realistically sign that would have any future value towards a trade..
But a future first round pick from any team way high above the tax will hold strong value in future trade negotiations..
Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they flipped the Clippers pick this year into a future 1 from someone else..
Only way we can get a star via trade is with amo. We have 2 Dallas 1st, its a good start but a third (or 4th) future 1st rounder might pay major dividends.

I've been waiting for the Knicks to bring in front office people smart enough to do moves like this for many many years. If we had been doing things like this for as long as we've should of been doing it then we could be the team with K.Leonard and P.George right now or another 2/3 star players. You load the future up with as many draft picks (1st and 2nd rounders) and young talent as possible and then wait for the right players to come on the market and usually you'll find a couple that want to play together and then other good players follow along cause they want to make a championship run with those stars and to do it in NYC in MSG just makes it even sweeter for those players.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#1112 » by Nazrmohamed » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:58 pm

bleedblue3303 wrote:I asked this in the draft thread. But its a trade so figured to ask her as well. If you could trade RJ for Lamelo straight up and still keep our other draft picks would you do it?

Nope but Id do the inverse. Keep RJ and trade next yrs pick along with ours to move up. I think this is the last yr of focusing on the draft anyway and we still have a ton of picks. We could trade next yrs first and still be drafting in the first round, albeit with Dallas pick. What will make or break us next yr is FA, not the draft so I'd prefer to land atop player this yr while keeping continuity on this roster and hoping Thibs/Atkinson can get us just respectable enough to start going after FA with a ......basically what the Nets were able to do.
-YogiBiz-
Pro Prospect
And1: 686

Post#1113 » by -YogiBiz- » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:56 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:

Nope but Id do the inverse. Keep RJ and trade next yrs pick along with ours to move up. I think this is the last yr of focusing on the draft anyway and we still have a ton of picks. We could trade next yrs first and still be drafting in the first round, albeit with Dallas pick. What will make or break us next yr is FA, not the draft so I'd prefer to land atop player this yr while keeping continuity on this roster and hoping Thibs/Atkinson can get us just respectable enough to start going after FA with a ......basically what the Nets were able to do.

If that pick next year has a chance of becoming Cade Cunningham you keep the pick. If you're signing a bunch of vets and trading for a star you can move that pick since the idea is we will be in the playoffs next season. Even then 2021 is shaping up to be one of the best drafts in a long time.
TheProfessor
Starter
And1: 1,012

Post#1114 » by TheProfessor » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:33 am

knickstape4ever wrote:

Edwards> RJ as a prospect. RJ may have a better feel, but Edwards is so much more toolsy. You just have to coach the stupid out of Edwards (bad shoot selection, lack of effort on offball defense) but with RJ actually has to add to his game where as Edwards just needs to refine.

The only player, I really have RJ near would be Wiseman and RJ is still a little above him and you have guys Robinson. Knicks would have to really like Lamelo to do the trade, I wouldnt.
-YogiBiz-
Pro Prospect
And1: 686

Post#1115 » by -YogiBiz- » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:19 pm

TheProfessor wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:

Edwards> RJ as a prospect. RJ may have a better feel, but Edwards is so much more toolsy. You just have to coach the stupid out of Edwards (bad shoot selection, lack of effort on offball defense) but with RJ actually has to add to his game where as Edwards just needs to refine.

The only player, I really have RJ near would be Wiseman and RJ is still a little above him and you have guys Robinson. Knicks would have to really like Lamelo to do the trade, I wouldnt.

I mean RJ is a better ball handler, passer, rebounder, and shooter (from Mid-Range since they both suck from deep); RJ is only slightly less athletic (End to end Edwards is faster, but RJ moves better laterally), and they are both really strong for their position.

RJ outweighs Edwards heavily in the Skill department. Not saying Edwards isn't a skilled player, but RJ is one of the more skilled young players in the league.
Triple C
Knicks Forum The Good News
And1: 16,840

Post#1116 » by Triple C » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:42 pm

Read on Twitter
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,579

Post#1117 » by mpharris36 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:50 pm

Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

it would all determine on the price. He's not a two way player or a great player for the bottom line (in terms of he's not in that category of player changing wins and losses by himself). So depending on the price sure. But I am not giving up major assets for him.

He's a notch below guys like Booker and Beal for me.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#1118 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:53 pm

Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

Headline should be "Knicks monitoring the availability of L.Markkannen" not Z.Lavine who's just another guy who can put up great offensive numbers and do some highlight dunks but is a me player and not a team player.
TheProfessor
Starter
And1: 1,012

Post#1119 » by TheProfessor » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:09 pm

-YogiBiz- wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:

I mean RJ is a better ball handler, passer, rebounder, and shooter (from Mid-Range since they both suck from deep); RJ is only slightly less athletic (End to end Edwards is faster, but RJ moves better laterally), and they are both really strong for their position.

RJ outweighs Edwards heavily in the Skill department. Not saying Edwards isn't a skilled player, but RJ is one of the more skilled young players in the league.

I disagree, RJ only uses one hand to dribble, Edwards is a much better shooter Ft%, 3 ball etc. Passer yes, RJ has that advanced feel. Also,Barrett is strong for his position, Edwards still has an edge. Barrett is 6'6 217, Edwards is 6'5 225 at the age of 18. Also another thing you have to consider is RJ played Tre Jones, Zion, Reddish where as Edwards has played with no one. I assure you, if he had more talent around him the numbers would be better and his shot selection would improve.
When I see Edwards I can kind of see an oladipo, when I see RJ I see 76'ers Iggy.
Infinitimind
Senior
And1: 398

Post#1120 » by Infinitimind » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:26 pm

TheProfessor wrote:
-YogiBiz- wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:Edwards> RJ as a prospect. RJ may have a better feel, but Edwards is so much more toolsy. You just have to coach the stupid out of Edwards (bad shoot selection, lack of effort on offball defense) but with RJ actually has to add to his game where as Edwards just needs to refine.

I disagree, RJ only uses one hand to dribble, Edwards is a much better shooter Ft%, 3 ball etc. Passer yes, RJ has that advanced feel. Also,Barrett is strong for his position, Edwards still has an edge. Barrett is 6'6 217, Edwards is 6'5 225 at the age of 18. Also another thing you have to consider is RJ played Tre Jones, Zion, Reddish where as Edwards has played with no one. I assure you, if he had more talent around him the numbers would be better and his shot selection would improve.
When I see Edwards I can kind of see an oladipo, when I see RJ I see 76'ers Iggy.

I like Edwards but no way is he better than Rj.Rj has done as good as he can due to lack of spacing in duke and with the Knicks . Give this kid space and he improves his free throws he will kill in the nba. Plus he always plays hard unlike Edwards

Return to New York Knicks