ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Democratic Primary Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Who are you voting for?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:48 pm

Joe Biden - I have no idea why, and I also forgot what year it is
28%
Bernie Sanders - I am an intelligent human being, and understand Sanders is our last hope and America needs him
58%
Tulsi Gabbard (Dropped Out) - Ringo Starr is also my favorite Beatle
14%

Total votes: 65

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,260

Re: OT: Democratic Primary Thread 

Post#41 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:24 pm

Stannis wrote:They scared now:

Sanders wins Northern Mariana Islands caucuses, NBC News projects
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/sanders-wins-northern-mariana-islands-caucuses-nbc-news-projects-n1158926

Wow, this changes everything. Now if only Bloomberg can be convinced to pledge to Bernie his delegates from American Samoa it would really shake up the race.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,373
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#42 » by BKlutch » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:16 am

GONYK wrote:
spree8 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
I'm referring to what he said a week or so ago in an interview

Never saw it... care to post? Because that narrows it down significantly.

Jim Clyburn also said that he wants Biden to choose a woman of color 3 days ago

Clyburn urges Biden to pick black woman as running mate: 'African American women need to be rewarded' for loyalty
© GETTY IMAGES
House Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-S.C.) urged former Vice President Joe Biden on Wednesday to pick a black woman as his running mate to "reward" them for loyalty to the Democratic Party if he is its presidential nominee.

Clyburn, who endorsed Biden ahead of his South Carolina primary win late last month, told NPR, "I really believe that we've reached a point in this country where African American women need to be rewarded for the loyalty that they've given to this party."

He named a number of black women who he thinks would be good choices to share a ticket with Biden, including Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) and Georgia Democratic gubernatorial nominee and voting rights activist Stacey Abrams.

Clyburn also mentioned Democratic Reps. Marcia Fudge (Ohio), Val Demings (Fla.) and Karen Bass (Calif.) as potential choices, as well as Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/487039-clyburn-urges-biden-to-pick-black-female-vp-african-american-women-need-to

I heard a podcast with Clyburn about the South Carolina primary twice. Clyburn is older than Bernie but he is a great speaker, and an incredible man. He made a case why African Americans want Biden over Bernie, and he pointed out many reasons why he believes Biden will beat Trump but Bernie would have a hard time. If you go only by what he said, you'd want Biden.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#43 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:01 am

Read on Twitter
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#44 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:09 am

Read on Twitter
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,046

Post#45 » by GONYK » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:17 am

BKlutch wrote:
GONYK wrote:
spree8 wrote:

Never saw it... care to post? Because that narrows it down significantly.

Clyburn urges Biden to pick black woman as running mate: 'African American women need to be rewarded' for loyalty
GETTY IMAGES
House Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-S.C.) urged former Vice President Joe Biden on Wednesday to pick a black woman as his running mate to "reward" them for loyalty to the Democratic Party if he is its presidential nominee.

Clyburn, who endorsed Biden ahead of his South Carolina primary win late last month, told NPR, "I really believe that we've reached a point in this country where African American women need to be rewarded for the loyalty that they've given to this party."

He named a number of black women who he thinks would be good choices to share a ticket with Biden, including Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) and Georgia Democratic gubernatorial nominee and voting rights activist Stacey Abrams.

Clyburn also mentioned Democratic Reps. Marcia Fudge (Ohio), Val Demings (Fla.) and Karen Bass (Calif.) as potential choices, as well as Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/487039-clyburn-urges-biden-to-pick-black-female-vp-african-american-women-need-to

I heard a podcast with Clyburn about the South Carolina primary twice. Clyburn is older than Bernie but he is a great speaker, and an incredible man. He made a case why African Americans want Biden over Bernie, and he pointed out many reasons why he believes Biden will beat Trump but Bernie would have a hard time. If you go only by what he said, you'd want Biden.

I heard one. I agree with him when he said that people don't need things like college to be free. They just want opportunity and the ability to afford college.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,637

Post#46 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:00 am

Free Palestine
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,785

Post#47 » by spree8 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:09 am

GONYK wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
GONYK wrote:

I heard one. I agree with him when he said that people don't need things like college to be free. They just want opportunity and the ability to afford college.

Let’s be honest, most of the people who voted for Biden are well past the age for college. High school wasn’t always free...
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#48 » by GONYK » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:21 am

spree8 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
BKlutch wrote:I heard a podcast with Clyburn about the South Carolina primary twice. Clyburn is older than Bernie but he is a great speaker, and an incredible man. He made a case why African Americans want Biden over Bernie, and he pointed out many reasons why he believes Biden will beat Trump but Bernie would have a hard time. If you go only by what he said, you'd want Biden.

Let’s be honest, most of the people who voted for Biden are well past the age for college. High school wasn’t always free...

The people who want free college should start voting then, I guess
spree8
RealGM

Post#49 » by spree8 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:03 am

GONYK wrote:
spree8 wrote:
GONYK wrote:I heard one. I agree with him when he said that people don't need things like college to be free. They just want opportunity and the ability to afford college.

Youth turnout has always been an issue throughout history. Maybe schools should educate students on the significance of it and emphasize how it’s their civic duty when they become of age. Creating a national voting day would also help imo. Not to mention having a smoother system without having people wait in lines for hours on end or a system that allows voter suppression.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#50 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:12 am

spree8 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
spree8 wrote:

Youth turnout has always been an issue throughout history. Maybe schools should educate students on the significance of it and emphasize how it’s their civic duty when they become of age. Creating a national voting day would also help imo. Not to mention having a smoother system without having people wait in lines for hours on end or a system that allows voter suppression.

I was shocked to discover how many Floridians have never voted in their whole life. Working guys in their 30s to 50s, they just don't care. Most of my neighbors are like that. It's weird.
spree8
RealGM

Post#51 » by spree8 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:24 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
spree8 wrote:
GONYK wrote:The people who want free college should start voting then, I guess

I was shocked to discover how many Floridians have never voted in their whole life. Working guys in their 30s to 50s, they just don't care. Most of my neighbors are like that. It's weird.

Yup, a lot of people just feel it’s pointless because their voices won’t be heard and that their vote makes no difference, so they don’t bother. I have friends like that who believe nothing will or ever has changed, and that you can’t beat big corporations or corrupt politicians anyway... plus a lot of people are too beaten down by the whole socioeconomic system to put any time or thought into trying to make a change politically. Can’t blame them I guess..
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,929

Post#52 » by Stannis » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:27 am

A national voter holiday is a no brainer to me. This will increase voter turnout.

Automatic voter registration when you are 18 and get your license or something should be something as well.

Many are uneducated in the voting process and the laws. For instance, many don't know that your state might give you 2 hours off during working hours to go vote. It's state law. Obviously, lot of businesses don't want their employees to know this.

My dad is 60 and has never voted, but always has something to say about the presidents.
Free Palestine
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#53 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:38 am

I do hope the Democrats clean up the voting situation. Make it a holiday. Crack down on voter suppression tactics. The GOP is basically a criminal organization at this point the way they try to rig elections.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,929

Post#54 » by Stannis » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:48 am

Clyde_Style wrote:I do hope the Democrats clean up the voting situation. Make it a holiday. Crack down on voter suppression tactics. The GOP is basically a criminal organization at this point the way they try to rig elections.

It's clear the GOP does not want a Voter Holiday. I believe the reasoning was because there are already too many federal holidays. But you can just replace Columbus day with Voter day.

Democrats were even iffy. I forgot the reasoning.

Anyways, this will also get citizens more involved in the smaller elections, not just primaries and general elections. It's amazing how a small percentage of people vote for our leaders. I'm guilty myself.

Mike Bloomberg should start spending his money on voter registration ads. That help a lot.
Free Palestine
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#55 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:53 am

Stannis wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:I do hope the Democrats clean up the voting situation. Make it a holiday. Crack down on voter suppression tactics. The GOP is basically a criminal organization at this point the way they try to rig elections.

It's clear the GOP does not want a Voter Holiday. I believe the reasoning was because there are already too many federal holidays. But you can just replace Columbus day with Voter day.

Anyways, this will also get citizens more involved in the smaller elections, not just primaries and general elections. It's amazing how a small percentage of people vote for our leaders. I'm guilty myself.

Mike Bloomberg should start spending his money on voter registration ads. That help a lot.

Cast Your Vote, Get a Gift Card to Denny's!
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#56 » by GONYK » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:00 am

Stannis wrote:

One of my best friends is a real GOP conservative (Romney voter type, hates Trump). He truly believes that voting is a privelege that you should have to work for and earn the right to do.

Basically, if people aren't willing to get a voter card, show up in person and wait in line to do it, then you don't really take the privelege seriously. It's something you should take pride in doing, not something you do only if it's convenient.

He also thinks if it's too easy, every uninformed mouth breather will send in a vote without ever truly being aware of what they are voting for. They will just treat it with the same consideration they post a tweet.

I see where he's coming from to a degree, but I don't think it's somebody else's right to judge the worthiness of my vote.

I agree that it should be a holiday and as convenient as possible.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#57 » by dakomish23 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:45 am

If Biden wins, I hope for extremely progressive policy to be pushed on at least healthcare and climate change.

I just can’t do another 4 more years with these folks trying to drag this country back to the 50’s.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#58 » by GONYK » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:56 am

dakomish23 wrote:If Biden wins, I hope for extremely progressive policy to be pushed on at least healthcare and climate change.

I just can’t do another 4 more years with these folks trying to drag this country back to the 50’s.

Biden is on record as against M4A, so I don't know how progressive the policy will get on that front.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#59 » by dakomish23 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:01 am

GONYK wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:If Biden wins, I hope for extremely progressive policy to be pushed on at least healthcare and climate change.

Biden is on record as against M4A, so I don't know how progressive the policy will get on that front.

Yeah. That’s why I said I hope. Maybe if Dems take the senate we can really push stuff through.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,429

Post#60 » by duetta » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:05 am

The problem is that the American people are not on board with the elimination of private insurance.

You can't go faster than the people themselves are willing to go without getting thrown out of power.

According to a Kaiser Family Foundation poll conducted in late November, 77 percent of Democrats support a national Medicare for All plan. But an even larger majority (88 percent) support a public option. Another KFF poll conducted in September found that when asked to choose, a majority (55 percent) prefer a candidate who would build on the ACA, while 40 percent favor a candidate who would replace the ACA with Medicare for All.

However, despite frustrations with costs, most Democrats still hold positive views of their own insurance coverage and the quality of the care they receive. That tension helps explain why getting rid of private insurance has emerged as a key fault line — even in a campaign hyper-focused on improving the health care system.

All of this signals that a full-throated embrace of Medicare for All could be a liability for a Democratic candidate in the general election. Robert Blendon, a professor at Harvard University who studies public opinion on health care, pointed out that even today’s Medicare system includes an option to buy into a private plan, which about one-third of Medicare recipients choose. “I just don’t think the candidates for Medicare for All did their homework,” Blendon said. “Even Medicare isn’t a single-payer plan. Many Americans just like the idea of having a choice.”

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/americans-want-the-health-care-system-to-change-just-not-their-own-health-care/

According to a July 22 poll from the PBS NewsHour, NPR and Marist, 70 percent of U.S. adults said they supported Medicare for All proposals as long as they maintain an option to keep private health insurance. A system like this has been proposed by Pete Buttigieg. By comparison, when asked in a separate question, only 41 percent of survey respondents said they wanted to scrap private health insurance for a government-run plan.

In this latest poll from the Commonwealth Fund, another 32 percent of Americans said they opposed the idea, while 27 percent of Americans favored such a plan, according to the survey results published by the Commonwealth Fund, which researches health policy. The survey polled 4,914 U.S. adults ages 19 to 64 from March 19 to June 9.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/americans-need-more-convincing-on-medicare-for-all-poll-says

Keep in mind that all of these numbers come before the inevitable humongous media and propaganda onslaught that will be unleashed should Democrats take back the Senate and Presidency - and changes begin being seriously proposed in the health care system. Most of you are too young to remember the "Harry and Louise" campaign from 1993 - the campaign that destroyed Hillary Clinton's efforts.

A President had to be a superior strategist; he or she should not be an advocate for suicide missions that are most likely to empower the opposition party and destroy your own hold on power. That isn't how you develop a lasting political majority capable of transforming a nation over the long haul.

Return to New York Knicks