ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Ahmaud Arbery murdered in Georgia - DA Indicted!!! (Update p. 11))

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,650

Re: OT: Ahmoud Arbery murdered in Georgia (Trayvon 2.0) 

Post#101 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri May 8, 2020 3:53 am

spree8 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
spree8 wrote:“Damn, I wish the kid ran away to preserve a chance at survival instead of trying to fight a bunch of guys with guns”

“Zomg you’re victim blaming! How dare you!”

Seriously, stfu and grow some brain cells... fuq’n idiots on the internet man. I swear :lol:

This is a sensitive subject for many especially those who have dealt with police brutality and is gut-retching crime.

Having said that, from a strictly scientific perspective, police will tell people who are faced with a gun-toting assailant that their best chance is to run away.

I once watched a seminar on PBS-TV given by a former Chicago police detective. Bittenbinder was his name. He had a walrus mustache. He said that the chance of him the criminal of actually pulling the trigger is 50/50. Then the chance of actually hitting you at 50/50. Then the chance of killing you at 50/50.

So his point is that by running away you’ve probably reduced your chances of getting killed from 100% to 12.5%.

But that’s in a vacuum and you have have planned that ahead of time most likely after having already been a victim who was lucky enough to escape unharmed.

I would not expect a most people to have that in their mind while going out for a nice relaxing jog.

So there is truth to what you say, but this is the wrong time to push that point.

Yea the thing is tho that I didn’t push the point... 1 poster made me defend it, then another, and another, and so on to where I’m just repeating myself in these responses. I’m like wtf did I even do lol. Ask a logical question? Kinda pathetic to try to crucify someone for that... in this day n age when people wanna be taken seriously on important issues, there’s way too much whining and attacking the same side for dumb stuff like that... people should save their energy for the real villains.

You can’t really censor people for that either tho. If people bring some analytical thought to the topic in that regard, who knows if someone might be in a similar situation one day and maybe remember having that conversation and take a different action themselves that might turn out better for them?

Just sayin that this outrage culture needs to chill the hell out a bit. People try too hard to be offended.

It's an emotional subject. It's not that people are trying to be offended. They ARE offended. I'm outraged. I still can't get myself to watch another one of these videos. This is a pattern that proves how a large swath of our society doesn't care or respect the lives of black people to the point where they hunt them down for no reason and murder them even though they aren't a threat. If you can't get outraged at that, then maybe you have to check your heart.

Dude, I tried to help you out earlier and now you're digging yourself another hole. Just shut down the computer for the evening and move on.
Free Palestine
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,653

Post#102 » by prophet_of_rage » Fri May 8, 2020 4:00 am

We don't want to admit there are evil people in this world that look like is but there are evil people in this world that look like us.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
RealGM
And1: 39,217

Post#103 » by 2010 » Fri May 8, 2020 4:04 am

spree8 wrote:
2010 wrote:
spree8 wrote:

Obviously he had the right to defend himself. Nobody is questioning that, but to even try when you have virtually zero chance to win versus running away and calling the cops? That seems like the better move.

He’s young and athletic so I’m sure he could’ve evaded them on foot hopping a fence or two while calling 911. Just seemed like the best course of action instead of what he chose. It’s a shame that he even had to make that decision tho.

I don’t see how this isn’t an open n shut murder case.

Call the cops? Really? Think about that.

Ok so then what are we saying here? The kid was doomed 100% no matter what? You don’t think there’s even a 1% chance there are decent cops that would have responded and defused the situation?

Even at a 1% chance, I’m taking it over 100% chance at getting killed for trying to fight them off. I’m running and calling the cops which has at least a chance at me surviving.

All I said was I wish the kid ran and called for help instead of facing certain doom. I get why he did it, but I think it would’ve been better to book outta there.

Lets just say you trust law enforcement a hell of a lot more than I do.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,441

Post#104 » by RHODEY » Fri May 8, 2020 4:10 am

prophet_of_rage wrote:We don't want to admit there are evil people in this world that look like is but there are evil people in this world that look like us.

And the people that assist them in evading justice are just as evil.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,785

Post#105 » by spree8 » Fri May 8, 2020 6:24 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
spree8 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

This is a sensitive subject for many especially those who have dealt with police brutality and is gut-retching crime.

Having said that, from a strictly scientific perspective, police will tell people who are faced with a gun-toting assailant that their best chance is to run away.

I once watched a seminar on PBS-TV given by a former Chicago police detective. Bittenbinder was his name. He had a walrus mustache. He said that the chance of him the criminal of actually pulling the trigger is 50/50. Then the chance of actually hitting you at 50/50. Then the chance of killing you at 50/50.

So his point is that by running away you’ve probably reduced your chances of getting killed from 100% to 12.5%.

But that’s in a vacuum and you have have planned that ahead of time most likely after having already been a victim who was lucky enough to escape unharmed.

I would not expect a most people to have that in their mind while going out for a nice relaxing jog.

So there is truth to what you say, but this is the wrong time to push that point.

Yea the thing is tho that I didn’t push the point... 1 poster made me defend it, then another, and another, and so on to where I’m just repeating myself in these responses. I’m like wtf did I even do lol. Ask a logical question? Kinda pathetic to try to crucify someone for that... in this day n age when people wanna be taken seriously on important issues, there’s way too much whining and attacking the same side for dumb stuff like that... people should save their energy for the real villains.

You can’t really censor people for that either tho. If people bring some analytical thought to the topic in that regard, who knows if someone might be in a similar situation one day and maybe remember having that conversation and take a different action themselves that might turn out better for them?

Just sayin that this outrage culture needs to chill the hell out a bit. People try too hard to be offended.

It's an emotional subject. It's not that people are trying to be offended. They ARE offended. I'm outraged. I still can't get myself to watch another one of these videos. This is a pattern that proves how a large swath of our society doesn't care or respect the lives of black people to the point where they hunt them down for no reason and murder them even though they aren't a threat. If you can't get outraged at that, then maybe you have to check your heart.

Dude, I tried to help you out earlier and now you're digging yourself another hole. Just shut down the computer for the evening and move on.

You see... I said outrage culture and being offended in regards to what I said... not the whole subject... you know that, if not, how you didn’t get that is beyond me. I’m not digging myself another hole...I’m not the type to just shut up because someone wants me to...you said I was right, but that I shouldn’t speak about it now... I don’t adhere to that type of censorship... it’s a thread on something that happened, if I can’t ask a question during the discussion, then wtf are we here for? What I said is pretty god damned plain n simple/cut n dry...it really is. Nothing offensive about it. What I said in the post you originally quoted is basically what’s happened here. Spinning and twisting with all this other bs doesn’t change that. People are crying that I said I wish the kid chose the flight instead of fight option. Nothing more to it... you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill. Time for people to toughen up with the sensitivity about THAT.. not with what happened as a whole... just with what I said. So instead of me moving on, why doesn’t everyone who created an issue with what I said for whatever agenda they have do so, and start talking about the real problem at hand? :noway:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#106 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri May 8, 2020 1:51 pm

RHODEY wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:We don't want to admit there are evil people in this world that look like is but there are evil people in this world that look like us.

And the people that assist them in evading justice are just as evil.

According to attorney ethics rules, prosecutors have an duty to do justice and not just get wins. But that is rarely the case when it comes to the police officers they work with, as we have unfortunately seen too much lately.
Free Palestine
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#107 » by Synciere » Fri May 8, 2020 3:06 pm

Great.

We've gotten to the blaming the victim portion of the show.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,785

Post#108 » by spree8 » Fri May 8, 2020 4:30 pm

:rofl:

Humanity is doomed.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,962

Post#109 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri May 8, 2020 7:16 pm

2010 wrote:
spree8 wrote:
2010 wrote:
Call the cops? Really? Think about that.

Ok so then what are we saying here? The kid was doomed 100% no matter what? You don’t think there’s even a 1% chance there are decent cops that would have responded and defused the situation?

Even at a 1% chance, I’m taking it over 100% chance at getting killed for trying to fight them off. I’m running and calling the cops which has at least a chance at me surviving.

All I said was I wish the kid ran and called for help instead of facing certain doom. I get why he did it, but I think it would’ve been better to book outta there.

Lets just say you trust law enforcement a hell of a lot more than I do.

ironically, one of the killers IS law enforcement.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,962

Post#110 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri May 8, 2020 7:16 pm

glad we got some charges. let's see how this goes. couldn't be clearer.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#111 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri May 8, 2020 8:08 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:glad we got some charges. let's see how this goes. couldn't be clearer.

It's an open and shut case ... one would think. But you can already hear the blame the vicim defenses. The big question for me will be the makeup of the jury pool and final jurors. Thankfully, thankfully, thankfully, there was no grand jury proceeding and they just arrested them.
Free Palestine
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#112 » by moocow007 » Fri May 8, 2020 9:16 pm

spree8 wrote::rofl:

Humanity is doomed.

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#113 » by moocow007 » Fri May 8, 2020 9:19 pm

On a related note, maybe, just MAYBE, now is the time for Georgia to update it's laws?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/05/08/arbery-video-shooting-georgia-has-no-hate-crime-prevention-law/3095090001/

Two white men accused of fatally shooting Ahmaud Arbery in what his family is calling a modern-day lynching will not face hate crime charges in Georgia, according to state investigators.

That's because Georgia is one of four states in the U.S. that doesn't have a hate crimes prevention law, according to the Department of Justice. If someone commits a crime motivated by bias, statewide authorities are unable to pursue additional charges or enhanced penalties for the perpetrator.

On a positive note:

Federal hate crime charge may still be an option
Even if a state or territory does not have a hate crimes law, hate crimes can still be reported to the FBI, according to the DOJ.

"If after the (Arbery) investigation is completed, and it was a hate crime, there’s still the opportunity to bring federal hate crime charges," NAACP President Derrick Johnson said in a press conference Friday.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#114 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri May 8, 2020 9:38 pm

moocow007 wrote:On a related note, maybe, just MAYBE, now is the time for Georgia to update it's laws?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/05/08/arbery-video-shooting-georgia-has-no-hate-crime-prevention-law/3095090001/

Two white men accused of fatally shooting Ahmaud Arbery in what his family is calling a modern-day lynching will not face hate crime charges in Georgia, according to state investigators.

That's because Georgia is one of four states in the U.S. that doesn't have a hate crimes prevention law, according to the Department of Justice. If someone commits a crime motivated by bias, statewide authorities are unable to pursue additional charges or enhanced penalties for the perpetrator.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Free Palestine
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#115 » by Oscirus » Fri May 8, 2020 10:24 pm

moocow007 wrote:On a related note, maybe, just MAYBE, now is the time for Georgia to update it's laws?

On a positive note:

Federal hate crime charge may still be an option
Even if a state or territory does not have a hate crimes law, hate crimes can still be reported to the FBI, according to the DOJ.

"If after the (Arbery) investigation is completed, and it was a hate crime, there’s still the opportunity to bring federal hate crime charges," NAACP President Derrick Johnson said in a press conference Friday.

Doubt it. No slurs were dropped, its gonna be really hard to prove. Besides, concentrate on what can be proved, adding extra **** just makes this politicial and likely makes it easier for their lawyer to get them off. Case is gonna be hard enough as it is.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,269

Post#116 » by DOT » Fri May 8, 2020 10:31 pm

moocow007 wrote:
spree8 wrote::rofl:

Humanity is doomed.

BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#117 » by thebuzzardman » Fri May 8, 2020 11:39 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:glad we got some charges. let's see how this goes. couldn't be clearer.

It's an open and shut case ... one would think. But you can already hear the blame the vicim defenses. The big question for me will be the makeup of the jury pool and final jurors. Thankfully, thankfully, thankfully, there was no grand jury proceeding and they just arrested them.

Wasn't Zimmerman initially arrested?

God, I hope that isn't the result here.
frothbrain
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,704

Post#118 » by frothbrain » Sat May 9, 2020 12:03 am

Defense will use the victim's criminal record against him and that he was seen trespassing on private property, centered around self defense; that he was trying to take away the gun from the father.
If it was any other political climate these klansmen would get away scot-free.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#119 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat May 9, 2020 1:05 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Wasn't Zimmerman initially arrested?

God, I hope that isn't the result here.

You must’ve missed my other post on that. Yeah, I’m definitely concerned about where the case is tried, the make up of the jury, and the quality of the prosecutor.

Does Georgia have a “stand your ground” so-called defense law?

And, yes, I also believed then that it was a clear case of murder as I continue to today, which scary. This country is going down the crapper.
Free Palestine
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#120 » by nedleeds » Sat May 9, 2020 1:18 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

:nod:

And no grand jury bullchit. Now we need to see these suckas go to jail for their COVID-19 treatments which will be part of their prison rehab.

I Hear there's an anally administered treatment as well.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.

Return to New York Knicks