ImageImageImageImageImage

2019-2020 College/Draft thread (Part 4)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Re: 2019-2020 College/Draft thread (Part 4) 

Post#1741 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Sun May 24, 2020 12:35 am

AllanHoustonFan wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
DaGawd wrote:LaMelo at the top of our board..I like it

"The Post has learned unequivocally LaMelo Ball is currently the top-rated point guard on the Knicks’ board."
https://nypost.com/2020/05/23/knicks-mailbag-talking-nba-draft-plan-and-if-lamelo-ball-fits/

The Knicks are at a crossroads as a franchise. Leon Rose, Steve Stoute and the rest of the front office knows that this organization and fan base needs a rejuvenation. Don't be shocked if we don't win the lottery the Knicks move heaven and earth to assure they get LaMelo. Not only does he have arguably the highest upside in the draft, but he obviously is the biggest name that would bring excitement to the city. Leon Rose always goes big. Has been that way as an agent and I expect the same mindset as an executive

Knicks win the lottery? Doubt it, the curse will continue.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#1742 » by knickstape4ever » Sun May 24, 2020 12:42 am

VirginiaKnickFan wrote:
AllanHoustonFan wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
"The Post has learned unequivocally LaMelo Ball is currently the top-rated point guard on the Knicks’ board."
https://nypost.com/2020/05/23/knicks-mailbag-talking-nba-draft-plan-and-if-lamelo-ball-fits/

The Knicks are at a crossroads as a franchise. Leon Rose, Steve Stoute and the rest of the front office knows that this organization and fan base needs a rejuvenation. Don't be shocked if we don't win the lottery the Knicks move heaven and earth to assure they get LaMelo. Not only does he have arguably the highest upside in the draft, but he obviously is the biggest name that would bring excitement to the city. Leon Rose always goes big. Has been that way as an agent and I expect the same mindset as an executive

Knicks win the lottery? Doubt it, the curse will continue.

When's the last time we've actually moved up in the lottery?
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 33,209

Post#1743 » by TheGreenArrow » Sun May 24, 2020 12:43 am

ny-n-md wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
HEZI wrote:How good do people expect Lamelo to be? Is he reaching Doncic/Trae level?

To be honest I think he’ll be better than both by a wide margin.

Especially Trae.

:o
Sarcasm? He can’t shoot or defend. I just don’t see it with him. I obviously could be wrong but he may be the second coming of Michael Carter Williams. Lol

He’s this generation’s Jkidd. He’ll be better than Trae, maybe I’m overreacting a little bit when it comes to him being better than luka but I’m that high on LaMelo.
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#1744 » by malik959 » Sun May 24, 2020 12:47 am

DaGawd wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:Enough of this bs I’ve seen this a million times.

Leon if LaMelo is your guy you better go get him.

Hopefully Leon has the balls to do what needs to be done.

We got the gawd father Lavar pulling strings behind closed doors . We got this.. Lavar gets what he wants

Lavar wanted all three boys in LAL, how is that working?
ny-n-md
Sixth Man
And1: 1,386

Post#1745 » by ny-n-md » Sun May 24, 2020 12:47 am

TheGreenArrow wrote:
ny-n-md wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:

Especially Trae.

Sarcasm? He can’t shoot or defend. I just don’t see it with him. I obviously could be wrong but he may be the second coming of Michael Carter Williams. Lol

He’s this generation’s Jkidd. He’ll be better than Trae, maybe I’m overreacting a little bit when it comes to him being better than luka but I’m that high on LaMelo.

People said the same thing about his brother and he’s no J Kidd. Not even close.
JUST PLAY THE KIDS ALREADY!!!!!
ny-n-md
Sixth Man

Post#1746 » by ny-n-md » Sun May 24, 2020 12:49 am

TheGreenArrow wrote:
ny-n-md wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:

Especially Trae.

On a side note, what did you think about Lonzo coming out? Has he lived up to your expectations? Would he still be the 2nd pick in a redraft? Be honest.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,375

Post#1747 » by robillionaire » Sun May 24, 2020 12:51 am

Criticisms of lamelo always center around his family members which is unfair to him
TheGreenArrow
RealGM

Post#1748 » by TheGreenArrow » Sun May 24, 2020 12:56 am

ny-n-md wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
ny-n-md wrote: :o

People said the same thing about his brother and he’s no J Kidd. Not even close.

LaMelo is totally different than Lonzo but yes people did say the same thing about him.

Lonzo could never create of the dribble like LaMelo can.

LaMelo has a elite handle plus elite vision. Lonzo only had the vision.
TheGreenArrow
RealGM

Post#1749 » by TheGreenArrow » Sun May 24, 2020 1:00 am

ny-n-md wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:

On a side note, what did you think about Lonzo coming out? Has he lived up to your expectations? Would he still be the 2nd pick in a redraft? Be honest.

For where we were at the time with kp as her franchise cornerstone Lonzo would have been the #1 pick for me.

Him and kp would have been the perfect pairing.

In a redraft he would probably go top 5 still. Definitely behind Tatum and fox.
robillionaire
RealGM

Post#1750 » by robillionaire » Sun May 24, 2020 1:08 am

Lonzo’s career isn’t over. He had a breakout shooting year last season. He’s only going to get better.
robillionaire
RealGM

Post#1751 » by robillionaire » Sun May 24, 2020 1:24 am

TheGreenArrow wrote:
ny-n-md wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:

For where we were at the time with kp as her franchise cornerstone Lonzo would have been the #1 pick for me.

Him and kp would have been the perfect pairing.

In a redraft he would probably go top 5 still. Definitely behind Tatum and fox.

I’d probably take him 5th after Tatum, Fox, Donovan Mitchell, and Bam Adebayo

He’s still a starting caliber PG though. He and Zion are going to tear it up next season
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,280

Post#1752 » by thebuzzardman » Sun May 24, 2020 1:46 am

TheGreenArrow wrote:
ny-n-md wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:

Especially Trae.

Maybe Kidd/Jason Williams, minus Williams jumper
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#1753 » by HEZI » Sun May 24, 2020 2:04 am

mpharris36 wrote:
HEZI wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
No way on Doncic level

Maybe closer to trae without the shooting. But you can hide LaMelo on defense because of his size...you can't hide trae which will always be his achillies heel.

We shall see...it all depends if he can curtail the shot selection a bit (because he isn't trae young in terms of shooting). But the dude is an elite level playmaker. That alone is something we desperetely need.

There is no such thing as hiding somebody on defense. How do you hide Doncic on defense? He's not a good defender at the 2 or 3, size means nothing when he can't stay in front of his man. Just like you can't hide RJ on defense by having him defend guards, he can't, so the same thing with Lamelo, if he can't guard guards then there is no hiding him.

But anyways, it would be foolish to trade up for him when we didn't attempt to trade up for players who are better than him

that I agree with.

However, its a lot easier to hide a guy on defense that can potentially guard multiple positions. Usually teams don't have really good offensive players at there 1-3 positions.

Trae Young because of his diminutive size still has to guard PG's because he is not big enough to guard 2 guards. LaMelo in theory could defend the weaker offensive player, That is what I mean by "hiding" him.

How is it easier? Teams are using 2-3 guard lineups nowadays so it's not easier. There is a lot of versatility in the league and you really can't hide guys on defense night in and night out.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
ny-n-md
Sixth Man

Post#1754 » by ny-n-md » Sun May 24, 2020 2:07 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:

Maybe Kidd/Jason Williams, minus Williams jumper

I truly believe Kidd is a lofty comparison. He was dynamic. A triple double threat at his peak. If we draft Ball I hope I’m wrong about him but I think he’s definitely a product of overhyped, sensationalized social media with a loud mouth dad who is overstating how good he is. To have such poor stats in Australia is concerning to me. His defense has always been lacking too. He’s been green lit his entire life to take deep bad shots too. He hasn’t earned that respect with his percentages.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#1755 » by HEZI » Sun May 24, 2020 2:11 am

Lonzo is closer to JKidd than Lamelo

People can disagree but Lonzo is the better player imo. Lamelo is flashier but he aint better. Lamelo has the better ball handles and that's it. Everything else goes to Lonzo or its even
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,341

Post#1756 » by Worst_to_First » Sun May 24, 2020 2:18 am

robillionaire wrote:Lonzo’s career isn’t over. He had a breakout shooting year last season. He’s only going to get better.

I never doubted Lonzo’s skills it was just he was too passive.

Being traded to NOLA and being partnered with Zion and even Jaxson Hayes was a blessing for him.
Worst_to_First
RealGM

Post#1757 » by Worst_to_First » Sun May 24, 2020 2:19 am

HEZI wrote:Lonzo is closer to JKidd than Lamelo

People can disagree but Lonzo is the better player imo. Lamelo is flashier but he aint better. Lamelo has the better ball handles and that's it. Everything else goes to Lonzo or its even

Lonzo’s defense is actually very good as well. Agreed he is a lot closer to JKidd than LaMelo.
Worst_to_First
RealGM

Post#1758 » by Worst_to_First » Sun May 24, 2020 2:28 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:
Naughtyfatboy wrote:Poku is worth a gamble at 27 but I think i like Paul reed more

I’ll be happy if we come out of this draft with Paul Reed and Karim Mane with our late first and second rounder.

Count me in on the Paul reed bandwagon. Paul Reed and Karim Mane would be awesome 8-)

If we don’t land a PG in the draft or FA we can explore putting in RJ at the 1 similar with what the Heat did with Winslow.

Karim Mane will be good insurance in case we have to let go of Frank as he could also be paired with RJ at the backcourt.

I can see both Paul Reed and Karim Mane being very versatile defenders and can guard multiple positions given their length.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,918

Post#1759 » by F N 11 » Sun May 24, 2020 3:42 am

CEO of the not trading RJ club.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,918

Post#1760 » by F N 11 » Sun May 24, 2020 3:44 am

HEZI wrote:How good do people expect Lamelo to be? Is he reaching Doncic/Trae level?

I view him as that type of player. However he does not turn the ball over.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.

Return to New York Knicks