ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks hire Walt Perrin as Assistant GM

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,274

Re: Knicks hire Walt Perrin as Assistant GM 

Post#81 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue May 19, 2020 1:21 pm

Read on Twitter
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,588

Post#82 » by mpharris36 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:29 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Read on Twitter

Zanin served as Billy King's trusted assistant in Philadelphia, New Jersey, and Brooklyn. After King was "reassigned" in January, Zanin served as the Nets' GM until Sean Marks was appointed the position in February.

not sure how I feel about that since Billy King was one of the worst GM's of all time. :lol:
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#83 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue May 19, 2020 1:29 pm

Kobe (rest in peace) had endorced him for the Nets GM job...he was the interim GM for a few months and worked under Billy King

Read on Twitter

Why Frank Zanin? Well, there's a connection here.

Both grew up in suburban Philadelphia, and both Zanin and his brother, T.J., who is a former Nets scout, played against Kobe in high school. The Zanins played for the Marple Newton Tigers, while Kobe played for the Lower Merion Aces.
Mavs
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#84 » by mpharris36 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:40 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Kobe (rest in peace) had endorced him for the Nets GM job...he was the interim GM for a few months and worked under Billy King

Read on Twitter

Why Frank Zanin? Well, there's a connection here.

Both grew up in suburban Philadelphia, and both Zanin and his brother, T.J., who is a former Nets scout, played against Kobe in high school. The Zanins played for the Marple Newton Tigers, while Kobe played for the Lower Merion Aces.

sounds like he also wanted to come back home. Grew up in philly is an east coast guy through and through.

He's handling pro side, and perrin is handling college side of scouting.

ROSTER

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,496

Post#85 » by j4remi » Tue May 19, 2020 1:44 pm

Sounds good, there's a good logic to adding the cap guy and the scouting guy as your first two pillars. It's really promising that these aren't flashy additions, but the types whose franchises and fans are sad to see go. But yeah, any good feels from this will only last until the head coach decision, draft picks and free agent choices. Those will be the decisions that really inform our confidence in the new crew.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#86 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue May 19, 2020 1:49 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Read on Twitter

Zanin served as Billy King's trusted assistant in Philadelphia, New Jersey, and Brooklyn. After King was "reassigned" in January, Zanin served as the Nets' GM until Sean Marks was appointed the position in February.

not sure how I feel about that since Billy King was one of the worst GM's of all time. :lol:

Yea, anything associated with Billy King isnt good. But worked with OKC since 2016 and with Rose so that sounds like great experience. I have never heard of him so dont really know. In general, I like bringing in a bunch of different guys though and rebuilding the front office.

Read on Twitter
Mavs
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#87 » by mpharris36 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:51 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yea, anything associated with Billy King isnt good. But worked with OKC since 2016 and with Rose so that sounds like great experience. I have never heard of him so dont really know. In general, I like bringing in a bunch of different guys though and rebuilding the front office.

Read on Twitter

hey im all for replacing the guys that are already there :lol:

anyone mills/perry appointed is fine by me to replace.

ROSTER

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#88 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue May 19, 2020 1:53 pm

:lol:

Read on Twitter
Mavs
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,499

Post#89 » by old skool » Tue May 19, 2020 4:11 pm

In the last ten 82-game regular seasons Utah's record is 403-417. They have made the playoffs half of the time.

That would be a major improvement for the Knicks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#90 » by moocow007 » Tue May 19, 2020 4:52 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:Utah Jazz fan base and beat writers aren't happy. This is good news!!
Read on Twitter

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#91 » by moocow007 » Tue May 19, 2020 4:53 pm

j4remi wrote:Sounds good, there's a good logic to adding the cap guy and the scouting guy as your first two pillars. It's really promising that these aren't flashy additions, but the types whose franchises and fans are sad to see go. But yeah, any good feels from this will only last until the head coach decision, draft picks and free agent choices. Those will be the decisions that really inform our confidence in the new crew.

Exactly.
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,600

Post#92 » by El Poochio » Tue May 19, 2020 8:10 pm

Perrfect

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#93 » by mpharris36 » Tue May 19, 2020 8:13 pm

old skool wrote:In the last ten 82-game regular seasons Utah's record is 403-417. They have made the playoffs half of the time.

That would be a major improvement for the Knicks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app

they are also in the west and are absolutely not a FA destination...because lets be serious who wants to live in Utah?

So they have had to build exclusively through the draft + finding lower valued guys.

ROSTER

Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Post#94 » by Jimmit79 » Tue May 19, 2020 8:16 pm

Another new face who won't be here three years from now lmao ppl still believe there is hope in Knicksland.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,920

Post#95 » by F N 11 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:53 pm

WargamesX wrote:https://kslsports.com/432515/the-jazz-view-2020-draft-as-draft-of-equality/

Pretty good article on Perrin's thoughts on this draft

Well damn. He think the draft is deep. Thinks there’s 40 guys you could look at from 15-30. I hope we land a stud.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
knickstape21
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,738

Post#96 » by knickstape21 » Wed May 20, 2020 12:01 am

Jimmit79 wrote:Another new face who won't be here three years from now lmao ppl still believe there is hope in Knicksland.

Lets just give up then.
Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Post#97 » by Jimmit79 » Wed May 20, 2020 12:23 am

knickstape21 wrote:
Jimmit79 wrote:Another new face who won't be here three years from now lmao ppl still believe there is hope in Knicksland.

Lets just give up then.
I just follow Knicks for laughs and seeing set new low bar every two three years lol I don't believe in them anymore.

smw6230
Senior
And1: 263

Post#98 » by smw6230 » Wed May 20, 2020 12:35 am

mpharris36 wrote:they are also in the west and are absolutely not a FA destination...because lets be serious who wants to live in Utah?

How about people who have an appreciation for the outdoors?

We exist and some of us are black.

Look, Utah is Utah. They still have dry counties and it's conservative (LDS). Forget all that. Drive I-15 through Utah and gaze in awe at what God (and man) has built.

From the south

Moab
Virgin River Gorge (Google this! —15 miles that you will never forget)
Zion National Park
Bryce Canyon (glorious!)
Arches National Park

Utah then changes from desert to 100s of miles of farmlands. Big ass combines off to the side. Cows. We, especially in CA, get a ton of food from that part of Utah.

Before you know it those farmlands have given way to an entire mountain range that runs up the States spine (past SLC).

Top part of the state turns rocky. If you're lucky you may catch sight of a Ram or two on slope squaring off.

Honestly, take a drive through Utah (on your way to Yellowstone). It's natural beauty is compelling and the people are cool (along 15).

P. S. - As a former NYC resident (child/Queens/Uniondale), more people from the burroughs need to take a trip up by West Point. NY State also has some amazing scenery that nobody ever talks about.
knickstape21
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,738

Post#99 » by knickstape21 » Wed May 20, 2020 12:37 am

Jimmit79 wrote:
knickstape21 wrote:

Lets just give up then.
I just follow Knicks for laughs and seeing set new low bar every two three years lol I don't believe in them anymore.

That’s nice.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#100 » by thebuzzardman » Wed May 20, 2020 1:52 pm

https://theathletic.com/1822733/2020/05/19/he-tees-it-up-for-everybody-what-a-long-time-jazz-exec-brings-to-the-knicks/?article_source=related

In 2001, Kevin O’Connor made his first hire as the head of the Jazz front office. He brought on Walt Perrin to run player personnel for Utah, impressed by the track record he put together for the Pistons and in need of someone who could the same for the Jazz.

Over the 19 years since, the Jazz have made more than a handful of gilded draft picks. Perrin pushed O’Connor to trade up to No. 3 in 2005, high enough to choose between Deron Williams and Chris Paul. “He said, ‘We have to get one of those two guys,'” O’Connor recalled, “‘because they’re going to be a franchise changer.’”

The Jazz picked future All-Stars with the 47th overall picks in 2003 (Mo Williams) and 2006 (Paul Millsap). Utah selected Gordon Hayward at No. 9 in 2010. Rudy Gobert, originally drafted by Denver but immediately traded to Utah, was a steal at No. 27 in 2013. The Jazz took Donovan Mitchell 13th in 2017 and watched him blossom into an All-Star.

“That’s one constant throughout all of that,” O’Connor said. “And that was Walt.”

Spoiler:
Now, Perrin will bring that resume and scouting eye to New York. He will come in to be the Knicks assistant general manager in charge of college scouting, league sources said. The hire will be the second one made by new team president Leon Rose after he brought in Brock Aller in April as a VP of basketball strategy and kept Scott Perry as the Knicks general manager.

Perrin’s addition has been well-received after he played a large role in helping Utah have a number of successful drafts over his nearly two decades with the organization. He has earned a reputation as a well-connected and well-liked executive with a keen approach to the draft. Perrin was not the sole voice making picks with the Jazz, but as VP of player personnel, he was an integral part of advising O’Connor and then Dennis Lindsey in a string of draft-night successes. The Jazz were not without their mistakes over the last 19 years (Trey Burke and Dante Exum are two), but the franchise drafted six players who would become All-Stars in that time.

“I think he has a unique ability … to evaluate their transition into being a successful pro, both in character and personality for the franchise and the place that you’re at and overall talent,” O’Connor said. “Obviously you have to be good enough to play, but there’s other factors involved.”

Added O’Connor: “He’s the collector of information, and he tees it up for everybody. Then it gets to be a decision that is bandied around.”

Said Rick Sund, a longtime NBA executive and Pistons GM when Perrin was in Detroit: “Walt’s a respected guy within the industry, especially on the scouting side.”

Rose will have made his biggest shakeup yet to the scouting department when Perrin comes aboard. The Knicks have had limited prosperity in the draft over the last decade. Of their 15 picks in the last 10 years, Kristaps Porzingis is the lone All-Star, while Mitchell Robinson, drafted by the front office Rose inherited, is a second-round steal.

The Jazz landed two franchise pillars in that time. They traded for Gobert, a lanky and long center out of France, on draft night, and he is now the two-time reigning Defensive Player of the Year.

In 2017, Perrin convinced Mitchell’s agent to bring his client to Salt Lake City for a workout despite initial trepidation and the Jazz’s lack of a lottery pick. Then the Jazz traded up from 24 to 13 to select the steal of the draft.

“Walt was able to get him in and everybody obviously fell in love with him,” said O’Connor, now a senior consultant for the franchise. “Walt had already expressed that he thought (Mitchell) was a lottery pick.”

While parsing credit can be difficult, Perrin, one person with knowledge of the Jazz drafts said, had a “big role” in those picks, noting Utah’s general manager relies on the information Perrin gathers before making a deal or selection.

Perrin will be in a similar position in New York as the Knicks prepare for the 2020 draft, which is still scheduled for late June but seems likely to be moved. The league suspended its season in mid-March, but has yet to cancel it or announce any schedule to restart it. The draft combine and lottery, which were both scheduled for this week, have been postponed.

The Knicks have the sixth-worst record in the league and could pick anywhere from first to ninth, and Rose will be at the helm of his first draft. By bringing in Perrin, the Knicks not only add a well-respected executive, but also someone who has already done the work in preparing for the draft.

The 2020 draft will be another crucial one for the Knicks. They’ll hold a high lottery pick for the fourth straight season, but in a draft that has been described as weaker than usual.

Perrin will come to New York under those circumstances after a career mostly spent in a few places. He was an assistant coach at Northwestern for 12 years, working for Tex Winter, the great sage of the triangle offense, for the first four seasons from 1974-78. He spent nine seasons with the Pistons as an assistant coach and as the team’s scouting director.

When Perrin discussed the possibility of a new job with O’Connor, he had no reservations about taking it, his old boss said.

“It’s a great opportunity and I think Walt really liked the idea of another challenge,” O’Connor said. “I think Utah was a place that he’d been comfortable at for 19 years and done a terrific job. He could have rode off into the sunset, but I think he really wants to tie it on a little bit and take the challenge on. Figure out a way to get to ’70 and ’73 when the Knicks won the world championship.”

Return to New York Knicks