ImageImageImageImageImage

[The Athletic] - ‘A diabolical genius’: The new bright mind [Brock Aller] in the Knicks front office

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Re: [The Athletic] - ‘A diabolical genius’: The new bright mind [Brock Aller] in the Knicks front office 

Post#61 » by WargamesX » Sat May 23, 2020 7:28 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
GONYK wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
Not sure he was a major factor. Weren't they together in Detroit for just one year?

It's not my speculation. Reporting from Utah media states that they have a close relationship and that Perry was a major factor.

Interesting.

I'm not here to defend Perry. I've speculated the Knicks are keeping him around, bare minimum, in that he's respected around the league and has some contacts, and it would be a bad look to send him packing. Minimum reason. They may think he's actually decent at what he does.

Again, to be clear, I'd prefer a younger hotshot GM\asst GM on the rise, but I can see why the Knicks\Rose might do this.

I thought the reporting was that Walt and Perry only worked together briefly? Was it confirmed they had a good relationship?
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Re: [The Athletic] - ‘A diabolical genius’: The new bright mind [Brock Aller] in the Knicks front office 

Post#62 » by newyorker4ever » Sat May 23, 2020 7:33 pm

GONYK wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
GONYK wrote:Perry was definitely a major factor in the Perrin hire. They have deep roots from Detroit.

Not sure he was a major factor. Weren't they together in Detroit for just one year?

It's not my speculation. Reporting from Utah media states that they have a close relationship and that Perry was a major factor.

Believing anything the media says goes against everything i stand for and i would think any Knicks or any New York sports fan should know this. The media says things that aren't true all the time especially when there's nothing else to talk about or when they're just looking to make some waves. So IMO it's just speculation until i hear it from a legit source which the media isn't.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,050

Post#63 » by GONYK » Sat May 23, 2020 7:36 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
GONYK wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Believing anything the media says goes against everything i stand for and i would think any Knicks or any New York sports fan should know this. The media says things that aren't true all the time especially when there's nothing else to talk about or when they're just looking to make some waves. So IMO it's just speculation until i hear it from a legit source which the media isn't.

Do you plan on speaking with them personally?
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#64 » by newyorker4ever » Sat May 23, 2020 7:40 pm

GONYK wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
GONYK wrote:It's not my speculation. Reporting from Utah media states that they have a close relationship and that Perry was a major factor.

Do you plan on speaking with them personally?

I don't but i'm also not the one believing things that have no facts.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#65 » by GONYK » Sat May 23, 2020 7:49 pm

WargamesX wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
GONYK wrote:It's not my speculation. Reporting from Utah media states that they have a close relationship and that Perry was a major factor.

Interesting.

I'm not here to defend Perry. I've speculated the Knicks are keeping him around, bare minimum, in that he's respected around the league and has some contacts, and it would be a bad look to send him packing. Minimum reason. They may think he's actually decent at what he does.

Again, to be clear, I'd prefer a younger hotshot GM\asst GM on the rise, but I can see why the Knicks\Rose might do this.

I thought the reporting was that Walt and Perry only worked together briefly? Was it confirmed they had a good relationship?

KFS did an interview with a member of the Utah media who has a personal relationship with Walt. This person said that given the Knicks reputation around the league, he knows that Perrin's longstanding relationship with Perry was the major factor. He wouldn't have left the Jazz after 19 years if he didn't feel he could trust the people he was going to work with in NY.

Here, you can listen for yourself: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/jeremiah-jensen-of-ksl-sports-on-walt-perrin/id1439034317?i=1000475125550

Start at around the 16:45 mark
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#66 » by WargamesX » Sat May 23, 2020 8:02 pm

GONYK wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Interesting.

KFS did an interview with a member of the Utah media who has a personal relationship with Walt. This person said that given the Knicks reputation around the league, he knows that Perrin's longstanding relationship with Perry was the major factor. He wouldn't have left the Jazz after 19 years if he didn't feel he could trust the people he was going to work with in NY.

Here, you can listen for yourself: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/jeremiah-jensen-of-ksl-sports-on-walt-perrin/id1439034317?i=1000475125550

That makes me think that Perry is here to stay.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#67 » by newyorker4ever » Sat May 23, 2020 8:39 pm

GONYK wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Interesting.

Ummmmmm i thought i made it clear that i don't always trust what the media says so i'm not sure what posting another link from more media people would do to change that and remember that what i said was i wasn't sure that Perry was a MAJOR reason for why we brought in Perrin. Perrin has been part of an organization that has done real well in drafts and putting together rosters over the last however many years so i'm sure that had much more to do with Rose hiring him then Perry did. Perrin is well respected around the league and his name was already out there so not sure i'd say Rose didn't know anything about him until S.Perry brought his name up...LOL

It's all good that we disagree on some of what we think about why Rose hired Perrin and there's nothing the media can tell me that will make me think that S.Perry was a MAJOR reason why we hired Perrin after their one year together in Detroit.

Not trying to make this difficult, just trying to say that i don't trust much of anything that comes from the media since i know how they always like to either not tell the truth or at the very least switch the truth around to make things more interesting or to stir shyt up.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,212

Post#68 » by Kampuchea » Sat May 23, 2020 9:03 pm

WargamesX wrote:
GONYK wrote:
WargamesX wrote:

That makes me think that Perry is here to stay.

I hope he is.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,311

Post#69 » by thebuzzardman » Sat May 23, 2020 9:51 pm

Knick4Real wrote:
Jimmit79 wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
maybe leon didn't have someone better than perry in mind who could be applied in short order? maybe he likes perry and this group together? maybe perry had some say?
In what universe do you hire assistant staff before hiring a GM it's like assembling assistant coaches before hiring a coach. All this looks like Perry being setup as scapegoat if things go south this is the normal in Knicks land keep scapegoat around for blame purpose rather then doing things right way. All this picks and upcoming cap space and Knicks avoiding real gm like a corona virus.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

HUH??? :crazy:

We already hired a GM. His name is Scott Perry. He was just given a new 1-year contract, so the position is filled. Now, it's possible he might not come back after his contract is up, but that's the case with anyone.

It's not a new 1 year deal. It's the amount of time left on his deal from Mills.

Obviously, the fact that Rose didn't fire, it could be looked at as a "virtual" new, one year signing.

It's possible the Knicks just want to part ways amicably after a year, based on how Perry is viewed around the league, and also how the Knicks are. It's a first move by Rose for the Knicks to be viewed a little more "respectfully" as a franchise.

I'm purely guessing.

I wish Perry was gone. He's here. I like the "asst GM" hires and cap expert.
Guess we have to wait a year to see how this plays out.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,646

Post#70 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat May 23, 2020 10:00 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Knick4Real wrote:
Jimmit79 wrote:In what universe do you hire assistant staff before hiring a GM it's like assembling assistant coaches before hiring a coach. All this looks like Perry being setup as scapegoat if things go south this is the normal in Knicks land keep scapegoat around for blame purpose rather then doing things right way. All this picks and upcoming cap space and Knicks avoiding real gm like a corona virus.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

HUH??? :crazy:

We already hired a GM. His name is Scott Perry. He was just given a new 1-year contract, so the position is filled. Now, it's possible he might not come back after his contract is up, but that's the case with anyone.

It's not a new 1 year deal. It's the amount of time left on his deal from Mills.

Obviously, the fact that Rose didn't fire, it could be looked at as a "virtual" new, one year signing.

It's possible the Knicks just want to part ways amicably after a year, based on how Perry is viewed around the league, and also how the Knicks are. It's a first move by Rose to be viewed a little more "respectably".

I'm purely guessing.

I wish Perry was gone. He's here. I like the "asst GM" hires and cap expert.
Guess we have to wait a year to see how this plays out.

Leon has a year to see how these Perry meshes with who appear to be Leon's chosen ones. Who know what it's going to look like in the fall anyhow? I've read recently that some experts are predicting a new tidal wave of CV infected people come November. I wonder if, just hypothetically speaking of course, if the this prediction came true and the season had to be canceled, do you then fire Perry? :lol: (gif of Mr. Burns rubbing his hands together)
Free Palestine
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#71 » by knickstape4ever » Sat May 23, 2020 11:51 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Exactly. And I get this post isn't to excuse Mills OR Perry.

Things we know: Dumb moves on THJr and Ron Baker: Pure Mills.
Things we don't know: Who was responsible for what for everything after.

We can guess, but that's it. I'd really like to know, If the rumor that Mecca hinted at about Perry being here longer than a year is true. It speaks to maybe Rose or the Knicks feel Perry is decent untied from Mills, but again, we don't know. It seems like Perry's moves in Sactown were dubious (bring in Zach Randolph and other aging vets) so people pin the roster construction on him. I just don't know.

The fact that the Knicks fired the last pro player scout and brought in a new one is hopeful. I think. I mean, not all the players individually they brought in were bad, at all, in the context of who would sign a 1 year deal. But the mix was bad, and that seems more "GM level" than "pro player scout" level.

I can break the Perry vs Mills debate.

Who hired Fizdale?

Even that's not clear. One of the Knicks beat guys is saying Perry favored Coach Bud, and that Mills made the final call on Fizzle, but that's rumor and we don't know.

which beat writer?
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#72 » by GONYK » Sun May 24, 2020 12:36 am

knickstape4ever wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
I can break the Perry vs Mills debate.

Who hired Fizdale?

Even that's not clear. One of the Knicks beat guys is saying Perry favored Coach Bud, and that Mills made the final call on Fizzle, but that's rumor and we don't know.

which beat writer?

Bagley said we were in advanced contract negotiations with Bud before the call was made to commit to Fiz.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#73 » by GONYK » Sun May 24, 2020 12:38 am

newyorker4ever wrote:
GONYK wrote:
WargamesX wrote:

Ummmmmm i thought i made it clear that i don't always trust what the media says so i'm not sure what posting another link from more media people would do to change that and remember that what i said was i wasn't sure that Perry was a MAJOR reason for why we brought in Perrin. Perrin has been part of an organization that has done real well in drafts and putting together rosters over the last however many years so i'm sure that had much more to do with Rose hiring him then Perry did. Perrin is well respected around the league and his name was already out there so not sure i'd say Rose didn't know anything about him until S.Perry brought his name up...LOL

It's all good that we disagree on some of what we think about why Rose hired Perrin and there's nothing the media can tell me that will make me think that S.Perry was a MAJOR reason why we hired Perrin after their one year together in Detroit.

Not trying to make this difficult, just trying to say that i don't trust much of anything that comes from the media since i know how they always like to either not tell the truth or at the very least switch the truth around to make things more interesting or to stir shyt up.

I never said anything about why Rose was interested in Perrin.

I said Utah media stated that Perry was a major factor in Perrin accepting the offer and leaving Utah after 19 years.

You are free to do with that information whatever you like.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach

Post#74 » by knickstape4ever » Sun May 24, 2020 12:41 am

GONYK wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

which beat writer?

Bagley said we were in advanced contract negotiations with Bud before the call was made to commit to Fiz.

Reading the article, I don't see Begley mentioning Perry preferred Bud
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#75 » by GONYK » Sun May 24, 2020 12:42 am

knickstape4ever wrote:
GONYK wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
which beat writer?

I don't know who said that. I'm just saying that it was Begley who was writing about the process with Bud.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,646

Post#76 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun May 24, 2020 12:48 am

GONYK wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
GONYK wrote:Bagley said we were in advanced contract negotiations with Bud before the call was made to commit to Fiz.

I don't know who said that. I'm just saying that it was Begley who was writing about the process with Bud.

Spoiler:
Free Palestine
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,920

Post#77 » by F N 11 » Sun May 24, 2020 2:15 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
jvsimonetti0514 wrote:

wait is this really true about Perry wanting Bud?

I don't think there's any proof of that. It seems like ever since we got rid of Mills every bad move the Knicks have made was pinned on Mills and any good move we made went to Perry but with no facts of any of it to be true. I mean i get why fans wanted to put every bad move on Mills and every good move on Perry because of our hate for Mills but i'm not giving any love to Perry just going off of speculation. I need to see him actually make good moves and even now we won't know if the actual moves were because of Perry or really because of Rose or Aller or Perrin.

True but that's why I'm like, let's just see what happens. What I do know is that Mills has been an MSG employee for a loooooooooong time. He only understood failure. Perry just got here and was his subordinate. Everything else is conjecture. Well, some of the moves were definitely his like Payton and Randle but none of our moves of late have been crippling or even hampering deals. We sign players to 1-2 yr deals with team options and try them out while our youth play huge minutes. We keep and acquire draft picks. If the Knicks ever let the narrative just stay about that and rebuilding rather than these FA will make us turn the corner then I don't think we're in that bad a position. At best Perry is mediocre, I'm not saying hes great but hes not the worst either. Let's see what he can do with a new boss and some good talent around him.

The article pushed Mills as the guy who Thought Fizdale would be better fit with the kids.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#78 » by newyorker4ever » Sun May 24, 2020 2:29 am

GONYK wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

which beat writer?

There we go listening to the media again. Bagley and really all NY media are the worst in the country at making things up or making things seem like something they really aren't or just completely lying about stuff. Frank AssHola used to be the worst now it's S.Bondy taking over for him.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,311

Post#79 » by thebuzzardman » Sun May 24, 2020 2:37 am

newyorker4ever wrote:
GONYK wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
which beat writer?

There we go listening to the media again. Bagley and really all NY media are the worst in the country at making things up or making things seem like something they really aren't or just completely lying about stuff. Frank AssHola used to be the worst now it's S.Bondy taking over for him.

I believe GONYK is just listing where the rumor comes from, not that anyone is taking it too seriously.

I didn't even know it existed until a few days ago. It may be a new story. Hell, it may be spin to further bury Mills and shine up Perry.

In any event, we're just putting out where it was mentioned. No one is taking too much stock in it. I mean, it's this forum, so someone might plant a flag on it and defend it to hell and back for a while. :D
knickstape4ever
Head Coach

Post#80 » by knickstape4ever » Sun May 24, 2020 2:41 am

Begley said they were in "advanced negotiations" with Bud but "then-president Steve Mills and GM Scott Perry, obviously, decided to hire Fizdale"

Begley doesn't say that Perry preferred Bud

Return to New York Knicks