ImageImageImageImageImage

There is legitimate support within the Knicks organization for Kenny Atkinson

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,169

Re: There is legitimate support within the Knicks organization for Kenny Atkinson 

Post#101 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:56 am

GONYK wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
I got to disagree with you. Fizdale was brought here to deal with superstar egos ala what we are seeing in Brooklyn. The FO failed to get him Durant and his plus 1, and Fizdale failed to get KP to buy in. Fiz was not bought here for X and O’s or to develop youth. Which is why he went on such a horrible run.

If the Knicks got Durant, Kyrie and Zion he would have looked like a ok coach because he would have kept them happy.

yeah fizdale was suppose to be someone we could bring into a meeting and sell as superstar a dream because one of fiz's big selling points is tha the had the backing from lebron and his connections so they were using him as a piece that stars would want to play for because everyone likes him.

I don't think he was known as a developmental coach.

He was known as a developmental coach.

He claimed that he invented drills to improve finishing at the rim as well as making Josh Richardson a very good player and reviving Tyreke.

Don't forget that Lebron said that Fiz always made sure that he had his water bottles filled and that his luggage always was waiting for him at his hotel room when on the road. :lol:
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Re: There is legitimate support within the Knicks organization for Kenny Atkinson 

Post#102 » by WargamesX » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:13 pm

Interesting stuff.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,643

Post#103 » by mpharris36 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:25 pm

WargamesX wrote:

Interesting stuff.

I like it, really building defensive schemes using analystics. Nets were 8th best defensive rating. And they really don't have a lot of good defensive players. Imagine what we could do especially going under screens with Frank's length at the point of attack and mitch in the paint.

look at all the other teams in the top 8 all those teams have elite really good defensive players. Nets really don't. So im very impressed with what he did with there defense.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,794

Post#104 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:48 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
WargamesX wrote:

Interesting stuff.

I like it, really building defensive schemes using analystics. Nets were 8th best defensive rating. And they really don't have a lot of good defensive players. Imagine what we could do especially going under screens with Frank's length at the point of attack and mitch in the paint.

look at all the other teams in the top 8 all those teams have elite really good defensive players. Nets really don't. So im very impressed with what he did with there defense.

Makes me feel better about Kenny as a possible choice, even though we all know Thibs is getting the job
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#105 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:58 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
WargamesX wrote:

Interesting stuff.

Makes me feel better about Kenny as a possible choice, even though we all know Thibs is getting the job

yup sounds like all this coaching search was just lip service

Read on Twitter

ROSTER

thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#106 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:03 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Read on Twitter

I don't think it was totally lip service. Well, partially it was.

I think they (Leon) prefers Thibs, but is at least open to the idea of Thibs being beat out by one of the people interviewed. Granted, that individual would have to blow the Knicks FO away.

What I think is really going on, to an extent, is that the Knicks are interviewing potential lead assistants. Are there are few guys, like Udoka or Mosley, who already have that and not want to leave good situations? Sure. They are probably being interviewed for the actual head coaching job. But I have a strong feeling at least one of the candidates (besides Thibs) being interviewed will wind up on the staff.

I get that that doesn't always happen, as coaches usually have a guy or two they are comfortable with being their 1A, but I think it happens anyway.

My guess:
Thibs
Guy from the list with strong developmental reputation
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#107 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:04 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Read on Twitter

I think they (Leon) prefers Thibs, but is at least open to the idea of Thibs being beat out by one of the people interviewed. Granted, that individual would have to blow the Knicks FO away.

What I think is really going on, to an extent, is that the Knicks are interviewing potential lead assistants. Are there are few guys, like Udoka or Mosley, who already have that and not want to leave good situations? Sure. They are probably being interviewed for the actual head coaching job. But I have a strong feeling at least one of the candidates (besides Thibs) being interviewed will wind up on the staff.

I get that that doesn't always happen, as coaches usually have a guy or two they are comfortable with being their 1A, but I think it happens anyway.

My guess:
Thibs

possibly, not my favorite way to go but I suppose I will live with it.

ROSTER

Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,236

Post#108 » by Zenzibar » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:35 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Read on Twitter

My guess:
Thibs

Not 1 of these "insiders" have been ahead of the coaching candidates news. Jason Kidd presumably was interviewed already, actually last week, since he has to prepare for Orlando.
Not 1 of these "insiders" broke any one of the Spurs assistants or Walt Perrin news.

So to me Thibs is not "clear cut" since alot of the input will be coming from other NBA sources; players, agents, executives. We know that Leon is talking to ALOT of his connections around the league regarding these coaches.

There is NO way Leon will just put his hand in the bag and just draw a name. Too much at stake, too many good hires already and also the sensitivities during the current times mean a lot.
WargamesX
General Manager

Post#109 » by WargamesX » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:34 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

My guess:
Thibs

Not 1 of these "insiders" have been ahead of the coaching candidates news. Jason Kidd presumably was interviewed already, actually last week, since he has to prepare for Orlando.
Not 1 of these "insiders" broke any one of the Spurs assistants or Walt Perrin news.

So to me Thibs is not "clear cut" since alot of the input will be coming from other NBA sources; players, agents, executives. We know that Leon is talking to ALOT of his connections around the league regarding these coaches.

There is NO way Leon will just put his hand in the bag and just draw a name. Too much at stake, too many good hires already and also the sensitivities during the current times mean a lot.

Agreed, the rumors keep being behind the curve. I don’t think they have a inside source. Thibs May have been the first interview but all these interviews after him doesn’t look like they felt he was the guy. In fact it implies they are still looking for a reason.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#110 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:36 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

My guess:
Thibs

I like Thibs but my (unrealistic) wish is the Knicks snag all 3 of the Spurs/ex Spurs candidates and create a staff out of them.

Also, totally agree about sources. Most of these articles are quoting the original Mark Stein source, which itself was an "OPINION/CONJECTURE" piece, where he said "If you polled NBA types around the league". Which means no poll was conducted, and Stein went on to speculate.
Zenzibar
General Manager

Post#111 » by Zenzibar » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:54 pm

WargamesX wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Agreed, the rumors keep being behind the curve. I don’t think they have a inside source. Thibs May have been the first interview but all these interviews after him doesn’t look like they felt he was the guy. In fact it implies they are still looking for a reason.

Absolutely.

Actually, the Thibs hire will come with the most scrutiny both from the media and players from around the league.

Call me crazy, but if the Knicks don't seriously consider hiring a qualified Black coach, it'll be eaten alive by the media and comically somehow blamed on Dolan. :crazy:

Woody may just get another shot, with Mike Miller his AHC. Which is not the worst hire, since many players have ALOT of respect for him, assistant coaching an elite Clippers club. Additionally, many solely blame Phil for his dismissal.

Again call me :crazy: , but having 2 non-Black coaches on the sidelines is going to be a tough sell with an up and coming team. It's not my feeling, just out-the-box thinking. Cause I really really like Mike Miller and hope he's on the Pro staff.
Zenzibar
General Manager

Post#112 » by Zenzibar » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:59 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

I like Thibs but my (unrealistic) wish is the Knicks snag all 3 of the Spurs/ex Spurs candidates and create a staff out of them.

Also, totally agree about sources. Most of these articles are quoting the original Mark Stein source, which itself was an "OPINION/CONJECTURE" piece, where he said "If you polled NBA types around the league". Which means no poll was conducted, and Stein went on to speculate.

Absolutely. The key word Stein said here was "If".
Ever since Phil cracked the whip on "internal sources" , the Knicks have been super leak proof. Frank Isola even had his credentials removed,, :lol:

You may hear some things once one of the rumored coaches opts out of the group and 2 serious contenders remain. Just MOO.
WargamesX
General Manager

Post#113 » by WargamesX » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:49 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:

Absolutely. The key word Stein said here was "If".
Ever since Phil cracked the whip on "internal sources" , the Knicks have been super leak proof. Frank Isola even had his credentials removed,, :lol:

You may hear some things once one of the rumored coaches opts out of the group and 2 serious contenders remain. Just MOO.

I think the leaks was Mills. He’s gone and there haven’t been any leaks. Also the KP deal wasn’t leaked because he wasn’t going to leak on himself.

Return to New York Knicks