ImageImageImageImageImage

Who should coach the Knicks?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Who coaches the Knicks?

Tom Thibedou
24%
Mike Brown
No votes
Kenny Atkinson
50%
Mike Miller
8%
Ime Udoka
6%
Jamahl Mosley
6%
Mike Woodson
2%
Chris Fleming
2%
Will Hardy
No votes
Pat Delaney
1%

Total votes: 84

Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 7,617

Re: Who should coach the Knicks? 

Post#101 » by Knick4Real » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:48 am

robillionaire wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Knick4Real wrote:
I was just amazed he pretty much said he can do whatever he wants here because he knows this person and that person. I've been on this site 15 years and never said anything that bold. That made my day! :lol:

I destroyed Bobby Fisher in Donkey Kong, taught the Beatles how to tune their guitars, drilled Walt Frazier on pronunciation (didn't work) and was breast fed by Lady Di and I have never told anyone those things. What do I get?

i gave you an and-1

:lol:
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,357

Post#102 » by NoStatsGuy » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:57 am

i know fleming from his german days pretty well, i even was in a couple works out with him back then. he pretty much had no competetion here.

dont sleep on that guy, hes incredibly smart, reminds me a little bit of brad stevens. voting for fleming cuz im biased and down for the experiment.
im bout dat action boss
Infinitimind
Senior
And1: 398

Post#103 » by Infinitimind » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:00 am

NoStatsGuy wrote:i know fleming from his german days pretty well, i even was in a couple works out with him back then. he pretty much had no competetion here.

dont sleep on that guy, hes incredibly smart, reminds me a little bit of brad stevens. voting for fleming cuz im biased and down for the experiment.

They going hire kid as the head coach. Mosley and Fleming will be his top assistants. Leon built built a front office with great minds. He wants to do the same for the coach. Thibs is proven and won’t accept top assistants, he wants to bring his own people
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#104 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:59 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote::rofl:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258750/Teams-Considered-More-Likely-To-Retain-Coaching-Staffs-Due-To-COVID-19-Financial-Concerns

Teams may be more likely to retain their coaching staffs this offseason due to the financial issues caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, according to several league executives.

Teams that fire coaches with remaining seasons on their contracts would have to fulfill those financial obligations and then hire and pay new coaching staffs.

On March 9th, two days before the suspension of the season, Zach Lowe suggested there could be anywhere between nine and 13 head coaching vacancies this offseason.

The Brooklyn Nets fired Kenny Atkinson in early March, while David Fizdale was fired by the New York Knicks in December. The Cleveland Cavaliers also parted ways with John Beilein in February, but J.B. Bickerstaff has already been hired on a permanent basis.

The Knicks are still paying like 10 coaches and FO personnel, correct? :D
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,687

Post#105 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:02 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote::rofl:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258750/Teams-Considered-More-Likely-To-Retain-Coaching-Staffs-Due-To-COVID-19-Financial-Concerns

Teams may be more likely to retain their coaching staffs this offseason due to the financial issues caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, according to several league executives.

Teams that fire coaches with remaining seasons on their contracts would have to fulfill those financial obligations and then hire and pay new coaching staffs.

On March 9th, two days before the suspension of the season, Zach Lowe suggested there could be anywhere between nine and 13 head coaching vacancies this offseason.

The Brooklyn Nets fired Kenny Atkinson in early March, while David Fizdale was fired by the New York Knicks in December. The Cleveland Cavaliers also parted ways with John Beilein in February, but J.B. Bickerstaff has already been hired on a permanent basis.

Larry Brown must still be getting his Knicks paycheck
Free Palestine
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#106 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:03 pm

Nbabrothers wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
Nbabrothers wrote:If we don’t hire Thibedou or Atkinson but hire one of the other coaches other than Miller, would you be outraged at their incompetence or will you look at it as they did their homework and are doing the right thing?

It's not incompetence if they don't hire the guy that fans and the media say they should hire. They're the ones that know what their plans for building this team is which none of us or anyone in the media know, they're the ones actually sitting and talking to each of these candidates and hearing what their plan of coaching this team is which none of us or anyone in the media will know.

Whoever gets this job is gonna lose a lot of games for at least next year and most likely more then just next year cause this team is so scarce of talent. The fans and media will be calling for the head of whoever our next coach is for that time as well. We need someone that will put everything into developing the young players more than who will come in and start winning games right away. Someone that will stay with playing the young guys even when they aren't playing well and we're losing games cause that's how they will get better.

This is why i have Kenny Atkinson as my top guy and why i would have no issue if they just keep M.Miller on for next year, but instead of having S.Mills looking over his shoulder telling him play whoever gives him the best chance to win we need Perry and Rose leaving him be and letting him develop the young players win or lose. I'd also be good with a few of the other guys that have only been assistants so far in J.Mosely, W.Hardy, I.Udoka and i'd throw J.Stackhouse on that list as well even though i haven't heard his name as a candidate for us.

Develop, Develop, Develop

What if they are looking to hire a Thibedou or Atkinson and also hire some of the other names as assistant coaches? That would be interesting to see. Thibedou/Atkinson and assistants Mike Miller and Jason Kidd?

Messing with you aside (which you might want to get used to, since I do it to nearly everyone), I think this is exactly what they are going to do.

Thibs or Kenny, and at least one prominent name among the "young/upcoming" interview group.

I posted somewhere that Thibs/Udoka might be a combination that combines "name" with "younger, development rep" but that Udoka might also be simpatico with Thibs on offense (fundamentals, motion offense, triangle) and defense

But it could be Thibs with a guy like Fleming. Or Mosely. Or Kenny with Udoka, etc.
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#107 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:52 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Knick4Real wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
I wonder if he has all of those names saved on his notes app. It’d be convenient. That’s where a populate my grocery list.

I was just amazed he pretty much said he can do whatever he wants here because he knows this person and that person. I've been on this site 15 years and never said anything that bold. That made my day! :lol:

I destroyed Bobby Fisher in Donkey Kong, taught the Beatles how to tune their guitars, drilled Walt Frazier on pronunciation (didn't work) and was breast fed by Lady Di and I have never told anyone those things. What do I get?

I call bullshyt.....Clyde_Style was breast fed....No way.
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#108 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:55 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Larry Brown must still be getting his Knicks paycheck

He's on the Bobby Bonilla plan and gets a cool mil until 2035.
Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 7,617

Post#109 » by Knick4Real » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:46 pm

Infinitimind wrote:
NoStatsGuy wrote:i know fleming from his german days pretty well, i even was in a couple works out with him back then. he pretty much had no competetion here.

They going hire kid as the head coach. Mosley and Fleming will be his top assistants. Leon built built a front office with great minds. He wants to do the same for the coach. Thibs is proven and won’t accept top assistants, he wants to bring his own people

Good Point!

Thibs won't take a job without full control of who he brings with him. So, the fact the KNICKS are clearly interviewing assistants makes me think Thibs might not be their guy.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,305

Post#110 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:45 pm

Knick4Real wrote:
Infinitimind wrote:

Good Point!

Thibs won't take a job without full control of who he brings with him. So, the fact the KNICKS are clearly interviewing assistants makes me think Thibs might not be their guy.

This seems like a solid deduction. Rose does seem to be assembling from diverse sources and so far has not fallen into the lazy pattern of taking on whole groups of people from the same professional family tree.

It does feel like Rose has taken advantage of the hiatus to do extensive due diligence. Based on his FO hires, it does appear he will want to assemble the best talent on the coaching staff himself and not leave all of that to the incoming head coach. If so, then those interviews definitely covered this subject in depth and gave Rose and his brain trust a clear idea of which head coach would be able to vibe with the FO having that much input.

And the top assistant coaches are very important hires for any team. If Rose gets the best available assistants, then that also bodes well for his style of management on the player talent side.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#111 » by knickstape4ever » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:08 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Knick4Real wrote:
Infinitimind wrote:

Good Point!

This seems like a solid deduction. Rose does seem to be assembling from diverse sources and so far has not fallen into the lazy pattern of taking on whole groups of people from the same professional family tree.

It does feel like Rose has taken advantage of the hiatus to do extensive due diligence. Based on his FO hires, it does appear he will want to assemble the best talent on the coaching staff himself and not leave all of that to the incoming head coach. If so, then those interviews definitely covered this subject in depth and gave Rose and his brain trust a clear idea of which head coach would be able to vibe with the FO having that much input.

And the top assistant coaches are very important hires for any team. If Rose gets the best available assistants, then that also bodes well for his style of management on the player talent side.

if Thibs is HC, I'm willing to bet his staff is more or less the same as what he had in CHI and MIN: Andy Greer, Larry Greer, Ed Pinckney, John Lucas III, Rick Brunson (former Rose client, tho he's had some off-court stuff)
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,305

Post#112 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:29 pm

knickstape4ever wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Knick4Real wrote:
Good Point!

if Thibs is HC, I'm willing to bet his staff is more or less the same as what he had in CHI and MIN: Andy Greer, Larry Greer, Ed Pinckney, John Lucas III, Rick Brunson (former Rose client, tho he's had some off-court stuff)

It seems like Thibs had the inside track so it probably means either Thibs and what he brings or cooking up their own coaching staff.

I'd prefer the latter myself as long as the HC is going to take strategic input from his coaching staff.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#113 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:28 pm

Would be interesting if all the "It's Thibs all the way" is a giant smokescreen/way to pump up an ex CAA client, and then the Knicks hire a couple of the top assistants to create the staff.
Nbabrothers
Senior
And1: 203

Post#114 » by Nbabrothers » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:58 pm

knickstape4ever wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Knick4Real wrote:
Good Point!

I want Thibodeau but is it true that he favors veterans over developing rookies? I know he’s a win now type of coach but he would have to restrain himself and improve his developing of rookies and young players as a whole.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,068

Post#115 » by GONYK » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:10 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Would be interesting if all the "It's Thibs all the way" is a giant smokescreen/way to pump up an ex CAA client, and then the Knicks hire a couple of the top assistants to create the staff.

For that to work, that would mean we can't hire anyone until Thibs accepts another job.

Otherwise, Rose just let a former client swing in the wind and very publicly get egg on his face.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,398

Post#116 » by Zenzibar » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:41 pm

Knick4Real wrote:
Infinitimind wrote:

Good Point!

I think you're right.

This front office is not letting Thibs bring in "his" people.
They (Rose, WWW and team) are dictating his assistants. The fact that so many top assistants are being brought in, tells you this.

If Thibs is down he signs, if not, Next.
Could be Thibs, Kidd or Woody, and 2 highly paid assustants. One of which can be Miller.
Stop All Genocides
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#117 » by WargamesX » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:49 pm

Nbabrothers wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

I want Thibodeau but is it true that he favors veterans over developing rookies? I know he’s a win now type of coach but he would have to restrain himself and improve his developing of rookies and young players as a whole.

Or they could hire a coach who has a record of developing rookies and young players......
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
Traveyknicks23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,775

Post#118 » by Traveyknicks23 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:52 pm

WargamesX wrote:
Nbabrothers wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:

Or they could hire a coach who has a record of developing rookies and young players......

Which thibs has done but that don’t matter
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#119 » by WargamesX » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:55 pm

Traveyknicks23 wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
Nbabrothers wrote:I want Thibodeau but is it true that he favors veterans over developing rookies? I know he’s a win now type of coach but he would have to restrain himself and improve his developing of rookies and young players as a whole.

I really give him credit for Jimmy only and we saw how he lost him as a coach in Minny.

Rose was the #1 pick and everyone saw he was really talented and Thibs ran him into the ground. Noah was another high level pick prior to be ing drafted...... and Thibs ran him into the ground.....
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,068

Post#120 » by GONYK » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:59 pm

WargamesX wrote:
Traveyknicks23 wrote:
WargamesX wrote:

I really give him credit for Jimmy only and we saw how he lost him as a coach in Minny.

Rose was the #1 pick and everyone saw he was really talented and Thibs ran him into the ground. Noah was another high level pick prior to be ing drafted...... and Thibs ran him into the ground.....

How many #9 picks become All-Stars and MVP candidates?

How many #1 picks become MVPs in their 2nd year?

How many times was Deng an All-Star before or after Thibs?

The running people into the ground narrative is real, but it's hard to overlook what Thibs did with Rose, Noah, Butler, Gibson, Deng, etc..

Return to New York Knicks