ImageImageImageImageImage

2019-2020 College/Draft thread (Part 6) -LOTTO 8/20 DRAFT 10/16!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,963

Re: 2019-2020 College/Draft thread (Part 6) -LOTTO 8/25 DRAFT 10/15! 

Post#561 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:18 pm

HEZI wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
HEZI wrote:
I don't get the Kira Lewis hype at all. This dude averaged 38 minutes a game and still put up ok number but nothing that really stands out.

He's a sophomore with more experience and still did nothing to separate himself or really stand out. He makes some of the laziest, carless mistakes that it's just frustrating. He also had the same team Sexton had and they were significantly worse with Lewis than Sexton. I have no idea why anybody would want him over Tre Jones. Jones is a floor general who knows how to run a team, Lewis just doesn't look comfortable running a team at all. Cole is better at it than Lewis also. Cole is bigger, stronger, more explosive, better shooter, more of a leader, just overall a better player.

Maxey is very Trier like, nothing special.

Hampton is a wild card for me. Didn't get to see enough of him to really have a good idea but for now I see him more as a 2 guard with some PG abilities, like Gary Harris. I think Hampton will be a very good defender in the NBA, his ball handling and speed is pro ready but he's gotta improve as a shooter and scorer overall.

I am not completely sold on Kira either, especially his facilitating/play making. But he has good speed and looks way more explosive then Cole getting to the basket and with the ball. Cole can jumper higher and is more physical, but doesn't look explosive with the ball. Even with his strength and hops, he really struggled to finish. Overall, Kira is still a year younger and put up much better numbers. His jumper looks pretty promising too. He improved a lot as a playmaker. Still out performed Cole in that area, and most other areas at a younger age.

I like Tre, but he looks more like a low floor option. Maybe like a Jalen Brunson...that still has a place in the league. Just think the other guys may have higher upside. Maybe they dont pan out, but think i would roll the dice on them, even on Cole before looking at Tre

Overall, none of these guys are too exciting to me personally. Was just looking at our realgm board and which guards are left. I like Hayes and Haliburton better and they stand apart from the list. I like Vassell too.

Kira is not way more explosive than Cole. Kira is quick on the floor but he's not that explosive around the basket. Cole has much better hang time and body control mixed in with strength that just gives him a way better advantage as an attacker. Kira also didn't put up much better numbers so I don't know where that's coming from. He played more minutes, scored the same points, made less threes and free throws, got more assists, same turnovers, less rebounds, more steals. Per 36 Cole just put up better numbers, Kira played 38 minutes and his per 36 actually worsen his numbers. There's only a year difference in age but experience means more than age, the guy with a full year under his belt always has the advantage regardless of age it's about experience.

I don't see the Tre Jones to Brunson comp either. Brunson played an old mans game at Nova. He was a savvy guard and played like Andre Miller in the way that he would back you down and just use his strength and footwork and craftiness to beat you. Tre Jones is just a different player, more modern game for the NBA. He's more like a younger Mike Conley.

The comp was more so what I see their role and impact. Tre looks more like a good backup, maybe a starter when you have a nice core. I would def consider him with a later pick, but just dont see the upside of a Conley.

The explosiveness on the floor is what i am talking about with Kira. Cole looked like he was struggling to get by people. Didn't see much shiftiness, changing speeds...looked more like he was trying to go 100% at all times and struggling to create seperation. Kira looked much quicker with the ball, smoother with more control. Around the rim Cole has more hops and is stronger, but it didnt do him much good. He was horrible at finishing and making decisions with some historically bad numbers. Some of that was the team, but I think some of it was on him too.

If we want to make things equal and look at per 100 possessions:

Kira: 25.8pts, 7.3ast, 5TO, 2.5stl, 6.7boards, .459%fg, .366%3P, .560%TS
Cole: 30.1pts, 6.5ast, 5.7TO, 2.1stl, 9.3boards, .380%fg, .348%3P, .501%TS

Cole scored more, but also shot a lot more. Kira dished out more assists, less turnovers with more steals and blocks. The big difference is the efficiency. I am def taking Kira's numbers.

Read on Twitter
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#562 » by HEZI » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:44 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
I am not completely sold on Kira either, especially his facilitating/play making. But he has good speed and looks way more explosive then Cole getting to the basket and with the ball. Cole can jumper higher and is more physical, but doesn't look explosive with the ball. Even with his strength and hops, he really struggled to finish. Overall, Kira is still a year younger and put up much better numbers. His jumper looks pretty promising too. He improved a lot as a playmaker. Still out performed Cole in that area, and most other areas at a younger age.

I like Tre, but he looks more like a low floor option. Maybe like a Jalen Brunson...that still has a place in the league. Just think the other guys may have higher upside. Maybe they dont pan out, but think i would roll the dice on them, even on Cole before looking at Tre

Overall, none of these guys are too exciting to me personally. Was just looking at our realgm board and which guards are left. I like Hayes and Haliburton better and they stand apart from the list. I like Vassell too.

Kira is not way more explosive than Cole. Kira is quick on the floor but he's not that explosive around the basket. Cole has much better hang time and body control mixed in with strength that just gives him a way better advantage as an attacker. Kira also didn't put up much better numbers so I don't know where that's coming from. He played more minutes, scored the same points, made less threes and free throws, got more assists, same turnovers, less rebounds, more steals. Per 36 Cole just put up better numbers, Kira played 38 minutes and his per 36 actually worsen his numbers. There's only a year difference in age but experience means more than age, the guy with a full year under his belt always has the advantage regardless of age it's about experience.

I don't see the Tre Jones to Brunson comp either. Brunson played an old mans game at Nova. He was a savvy guard and played like Andre Miller in the way that he would back you down and just use his strength and footwork and craftiness to beat you. Tre Jones is just a different player, more modern game for the NBA. He's more like a younger Mike Conley.

The comp was more so what I see their role and impact. Tre looks more like a good backup, maybe a starter when you have a nice core. I would def consider him with a later pick, but just dont see the upside of a Conley.

The explosiveness on the floor is what i am talking about with Kira. Cole looked like he was struggling to get by people. Didn't see much shiftiness, changing speeds...looked more like he was trying to go 100% at all times and struggling to create seperation. Kira looked much quicker with the ball, smoother with more control. Around the rim Cole has more hops and is stronger, but it didnt do him much good. He was horrible at finishing and making decisions with some historically bad numbers. Some of that was the team, but I think some of it was on him too.

Cole scored more, but also shot a lot more. Kira dished out more assists, less turnovers with more steals and blocks. The big difference is the efficiency. I am def taking Kira's numbers.

Read on Twitter

Like I said, Lewis is just quicker on the floor, usually only in transition as his first step in the halfcourt is not as quick. He's not more explosive at the rim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=39&v=Bu95LZo4Xoc&feature=emb_title

Cole is stronger, better body control, more hangtime

Cole didn't really struggle getting by people as much as he had very little room to go anywhere. The spacing was the worst in all of college basketball, he could go by his defender and still run into a wall of help defense. That was obvious to anybody that watched UNC.

Those numbers still favor Cole especially considering the talent or lack thereof around him. For him to even average the assists he did with those bums is impressive. I actually thought he should have shot more, way more and deferred to those guys way too much at times. They sucked, flat out. Kira played with waaaaay better teammates, it's not even close. Kira had a much better team yet they underachieved significantly. Yeah not having Avery played a role but still, they should have been better.

As far as Jones, I think he definitely has Conley type of potential. Conley really wasn't that good for a while in the league. It took him years to finally break out.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,039

Post#563 » by sol537 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 6:54 pm

Grab a PG with our lotto pick (Ball or Hayes or Halli) and then trade up and grab Kira Lewis as well using our other picks. Come away with 2 PGs from this draft and hope that at least one pans out.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#564 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:19 pm

HEZI wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
HEZI wrote:

Read on Twitter

Like I said, Lewis is just quicker on the floor, usually only in transition as his first step in the halfcourt is not as quick. He's not more explosive at the rim

Cole didn't really struggle getting by people as much as he had very little room to go anywhere. The spacing was the worst in all of college basketball, he could go by his defender and still run into a wall of help defense. That was obvious to anybody that watched UNC.

Those numbers still favor Cole especially considering the talent or lack thereof around him. For him to even average the assists he did with those bums is impressive. I actually thought he should have shot more, way more and deferred to those guys way too much at times. They sucked, flat out. Kira played with waaaaay better teammates, it's not even close. Kira had a much better team yet they underachieved significantly. Yeah not having Avery played a role but still, they should have been better.

As far as Jones, I think he definitely has Conley type of potential. Conley really wasn't that good for a while in the league. It took him years to finally break out.

Even in those clips Cole doesnt look like he has much burst to me which is what I am talking about. He's got hangtime, but just dont see a quick first step.

I think its possible Cole figures it all out and is better in the NBA. Like I have been saying, I want to talk myself into him cause hypothetically if he was good he would be a nice pick. Just too many red flags for me though.
Mavs
HEZI
RealGM

Post#565 » by HEZI » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:56 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

Read on Twitter

Even in those clips Cole doesnt look like he has much burst to me which is what I am talking about. He's got hangtime, but just dont see a quick first step.

I think its possible Cole figures it all out and is better in the NBA. Like I have been saying, I want to talk myself into him cause hypothetically if he was good he would be a nice pick. Just too many red flags for me though.

But explosiveness doesn't just equal being fast, that's what I'm saying. Cole is explosive, but Kira is quicker in the open court. Kira is fast running in transition but once he's in the halfcourt he's really nothing special.
DENVER NUGGETS
Buttah304
Analyst
And1: 5,567

Post#566 » by Buttah304 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:15 pm

HEZI wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
HEZI wrote:

Read on Twitter

I do like Cole as a prospect. What I firmly believe is that he will be a damn good 3 point shooter at the next level. Everything from his release, his range and shooting off the dribble tell me that. On the flip side I have worries about him running an offense but it seems like he has a role as a potential big time scorer. What’s also funny to me about Cole is that he attacks the rim like a mini Melo. He has great upper body strength and does not mind banging in the paint but he often struggles to finish. I really wish he can clean that up. He doesn’t want that to be a problem at the next level.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#567 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:19 pm

HEZI wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
HEZI wrote:

But explosiveness doesn't just equal being fast, that's what I'm saying. Cole is explosive, but Kira is quicker in the open court. Kira is fast running in transition but once he's in the halfcourt he's really nothing special.

Yea, there are different ways players can be explosive. You can be explosive jumping and dunking. You can also be explosive in the open floor or even in iso and blow by people. Kira is more explosive in the open floor and in iso getting by the defense. Hops? Yea, Cole has the edge there and he is the more explosive leaper. He still struggled a ton finishing. Even when he got a step, seemed like the defense caught up. Just needs to get better there.
Mavs
HEZI
RealGM

Post#568 » by HEZI » Wed Jul 1, 2020 9:12 pm

Buttah304 wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

Read on Twitter

I do like Cole as a prospect. What I firmly believe is that he will be a damn good 3 point shooter at the next level. Everything from his release, his range and shooting off the dribble tell me that. On the flip side I have worries about him running an offense but it seems like he has a role as a potential big time scorer. What’s also funny to me about Cole is that he attacks the rim like a mini Melo. He has great upper body strength and does not mind banging in the paint but he often struggles to finish. I really wish he can clean that up. He doesn’t want that to be a problem at the next level.

I'd just like to see him in a more NBA type environment with proper floor spacing so I can determine properly what his finishing is really like. It was tough to do that on that UNC team he played on. That doesn't mean he needs to get better but I also don't think he's that bad at finishing in the paint as the numbers suggest. He was just trying to do it all for that team because they really lacked much else in terms of offensive firepower and versatility. Kick out options sucked, secondary ball handlers were non existent. He had two inside the paint bigs that didn't move from there and had zero stretch big ability and they weren't even that good as pick and roll finishers either.
DENVER NUGGETS
HEZI
RealGM

Post#569 » by HEZI » Wed Jul 1, 2020 9:21 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

Yea, there are different ways players can be explosive. You can be explosive jumping and dunking. You can also be explosive in the open floor or even in iso and blow by people. Kira is more explosive in the open floor and in iso getting by the defense. Hops? Yea, Cole has the edge there and he is the more explosive leaper. He still struggled a ton finishing. Even when he got a step, seemed like the defense caught up. Just needs to get better there.

Yeah, just want to see him in a more NBA type environment with better floor spacing. I don't think he's that bad finishing in the paint but for sure there are areas for improvement. He tried to force a lot of things at UNC but I don't even blame him. He needs better floor spacing, better shooters, one athletic rolling big, secondary ball handler. I think he mostly needs to work on shot separation to be honest. I want to see him master his strength as a shooter. Robinson is the guy who scores under the basket, RJ won't stop attacking the rim even if he gets better as a shooter he's still going to attack. They need a shooter to help open things up and I think Cole could provide that. Even though Cole struggled finishing at UNC he still drew a good amount of fouls and got to the line, I don't think that will change in the NBA, he's still going to be aggressive and look to attack and for sure he can improve as a finisher but his bread and butter in the league will be that jumper and he's shown he can be really good both off the dribble and on the catch. Once you got the defense that has to cover a dude at the logo, it opens things up for RJ for Mitch for your other shooters on the wings. Cole doesn't need to average 10 assists a game to make his teammates better, he can be a scoring threat and the guys we have now can benefit from it.
DENVER NUGGETS
knickstape21
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,738

Post#570 » by knickstape21 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 11:38 pm

Watching Lakers/Bucks on NBA TV from right before the season ended and thinking which player around our draft slot would fit well in this game and that both teams could use the most with the structure of their roster...

To me, it’s Devin Vassell, Precious Achiuwa, Patrick Williams, Aaron Nesmith, and Saddiq Bey.
Buttah304
Analyst

Post#571 » by Buttah304 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 11:43 pm

HEZI wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
HEZI wrote:

Yeah, just want to see him in a more NBA type environment with better floor spacing. I don't think he's that bad finishing in the paint but for sure there are areas for improvement. He tried to force a lot of things at UNC but I don't even blame him. He needs better floor spacing, better shooters, one athletic rolling big, secondary ball handler. I think he mostly needs to work on shot separation to be honest. I want to see him master his strength as a shooter. Robinson is the guy who scores under the basket, RJ won't stop attacking the rim even if he gets better as a shooter he's still going to attack. They need a shooter to help open things up and I think Cole could provide that. Even though Cole struggled finishing at UNC he still drew a good amount of fouls and got to the line, I don't think that will change in the NBA, he's still going to be aggressive and look to attack and for sure he can improve as a finisher but his bread and butter in the league will be that jumper and he's shown he can be really good both off the dribble and on the catch. Once you got the defense that has to cover a dude at the logo, it opens things up for RJ for Mitch for your other shooters on the wings. Cole doesn't need to average 10 assists a game to make his teammates better, he can be a scoring threat and the guys we have now can benefit from it.

For me personally this assessment is the exact reason we draft him over the likes of OO. It’s not that I don’t believe OO won’t be a good player. In fact I love his potential. But for our current roster construction I like Cole so much more. And we draft players based on potential. It’s why everyone is salivating over Hayes because of course he could blossom into a great PG. But the same goes for Cole. If he goes to an offense with a big man who can roll and finish, another attacking guard and player on the outside who can hit open shots (Cole included) it would make our offensive that much more versatile. My issue is that a lot of posters feel as though what we saw with Cole in his freshman year is what we are going to expect. It’s the same reason why this board had Cam Reddish get more votes over JA last year in our Draft Mock and the same reason everyone trashed Trae. By no means am I comparing Trae or JA to Cole. I just feel as though RealGM has not been kind to attacking guards or ones with limitations like (are they a good defender, their wingspan is short, their shot form is not ideal) etc the list goes on and on. We need to swing for the fences and I don’t think a PF/C is what we should be swinging for.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#572 » by knickstape4ever » Wed Jul 1, 2020 11:55 pm

knickstape21 wrote:Watching Lakers/Bucks on NBA TV from right before the season ended and thinking which player around our draft slot would fit well in this game and that both teams could use the most with the structure of their roster...

To me, it’s Devin Vassell, Precious Achiuwa, Patrick Williams, Aaron Nesmith, and Saddiq Bey.

I would love to move up from #27 to the back end of the lottery to nab 1 of Vassell, Nesmith, Bey. those are 3 of the best wing shooters in the draft, something we desperately need next to RJ, Mitch and hopefully LaMelo

I also like Patrick Williams as a potential 4, similar to PJ Washington last year, tho Williams may be a bit smaller; curious to see how he measures if there's a combine
HEZI
RealGM

Post#573 » by HEZI » Thu Jul 2, 2020 12:35 am

Buttah304 wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

For me personally this assessment is the exact reason we draft him over the likes of OO. It’s not that I don’t believe OO won’t be a good player. In fact I love his potential. But for our current roster construction I like Cole so much more. And we draft players based on potential. It’s why everyone is salivating over Hayes because of course he could blossom into a great PG. But the same goes for Cole. If he goes to an offense with a big man who can roll and finish, another attacking guard and player on the outside who can hit open shots (Cole included) it would make our offensive that much more versatile. My issue is that a lot of posters feel as though what we saw with Cole in his freshman year is what we are going to expect. It’s the same reason why this board had Cam Reddish get more votes over JA last year in our Draft Mock and the same reason everyone trashed Trae. By no means am I comparing Trae or JA to Cole. I just feel as though RealGM has not been kind to attacking guards or ones with limitations like (are they a good defender, their wingspan is short, their shot form is not ideal) etc the list goes on and on. We need to swing for the fences and I don’t think a PF/C is what we should be swinging for.

There was a video I've seen on Hayes recently and it had some highlights I've never seen. Will try to find it again if I can but I wasn't it showed some things that made me feel a lot better about the possibility of drafting him than I was earlier on. I still don't see him as a better prospect than Cole but I definitely see him as a good enough prospect to warrant a selection. I like his character and work ethic also.
DENVER NUGGETS
HEZI
RealGM

Post#574 » by HEZI » Thu Jul 2, 2020 12:38 am

Anybody intrigued with Jah Ramsey?

I kinda like him more than some of the lotto guys ranked ahead of him.
DENVER NUGGETS
Buttah304
Analyst

Post#575 » by Buttah304 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 12:50 am

HEZI wrote:
Buttah304 wrote:
HEZI wrote:

There was a video I've seen on Hayes recently and it had some highlights I've never seen. Will try to find it again if I can but I wasn't it showed some things that made me feel a lot better about the possibility of drafting him than I was earlier on. I still don't see him as a better prospect than Cole but I definitely see him as a good enough prospect to warrant a selection. I like his character and work ethic also.

Killians work ethic and character from what I have read about is exceptional. And while he makes some wild passes the fact that at 18 he has the gall to even try and thread the needle impresses me. I’m also a very big fan of a young guard trying to perfect a modern NBA guard move, case in point the step back 3. It’s looked beautiful at times and even though it’s the homeless version of the Harden step back the mere fact that he’s comfortable doing that says something. Not to bring up Frank because I refrain from doing so at all costs but he never even showed glimpses of Killians offensive repertoire. Cole or Killian and I am ready to support them fully.
knickstape21
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,738

Post#576 » by knickstape21 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 1:02 am

HEZI wrote:Anybody intrigued with Jah Ramsey?

Love Ramsey and hope we can get him at 27. He’s one badass dude.
HEZI
RealGM

Post#577 » by HEZI » Thu Jul 2, 2020 1:02 am

Buttah304 wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Buttah304 wrote:

Killians work ethic and character from what I have read about is exceptional. And while he makes some wild passes the fact that at 18 he has the gall to even try and thread the needle impresses me. I’m also a very big fan of a young guard trying to perfect a modern NBA guard move, case in point the step back 3. It’s looked beautiful at times and even though it’s the homeless version of the Harden step back the mere fact that he’s comfortable doing that says something. Not to bring up Frank because I refrain from doing so at all costs but he never even showed glimpses of Killians offensive repertoire. Cole or Killian and I am ready to support them fully.

I'm on board with those two for sure
DENVER NUGGETS
HEZI
RealGM

Post#578 » by HEZI » Thu Jul 2, 2020 1:08 am

Speaking of Hayes, there's a rumor that Brad Stevens has been going to his workouts and he's been interviewing with Boston. Apparently there is a team outside the lotto who calls him every day.

Is it safe to assume that team might be Boston? Do they have assets to trade up to get him? They got the 17th, 26th, 30th picks this draft. Also have some prospects like Langrod, Edwards, Robert Williams, Grant Williams

That's a lot of youth for the win now Celtics, I can see them trying to move up if they feel they can get a guy to add to the core of the team.

I'm just assuming based on the very little info that's out there
DENVER NUGGETS
HEZI
RealGM

Post#579 » by HEZI » Thu Jul 2, 2020 1:11 am

knickstape21 wrote:
HEZI wrote:Anybody intrigued with Jah Ramsey?

Love Ramsey and hope we can get him at 27. He’s one badass dude.

I like him too
DENVER NUGGETS
bballoctober
Rookie
And1: 377

Post#580 » by bballoctober » Thu Jul 2, 2020 2:12 am

What do you think about nbadraft.net ? I don't think it"s accurate at all but I still look at it.
I will only cherish the wins and ignore everything else, because that's the only way to survive as a Knicks fan.

Return to New York Knicks