ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks championship needs!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

ForzaMetro
Senior
And1: 677

Re: Knicks championship needs! 

Post#21 » by ForzaMetro » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:58 pm

Striking gold in the draft this year would be a good start. Still early on RJ, but it looks like we may have gotten the 3rd pick in a 2 star draft. As bad as we've been the past 20, that seems to be a common theme with us. Always a pick late. And the one time we did get the right guy, we traded him to open cap space for stars who decided to go across town.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#22 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:48 pm

Nbabrothers wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:that's a whole lot of hypothetical.

i think there's a lot more to team building than these generalities. skills have to complement. so do personalities.

i would prefer everyone on the floor be capable and willing defenders who make good decisions with the ball. not everyone has to be a deadeye long-range shooter, but i agree you need more than one on the floor at a time.

Would you be happy if we hired Thibedou and made some trades but kept our lottery picks protected? That would be a win win for us I think. We do need some veterans on the roster because the best teams have veterans that produce in one way shape or form.

i wouldn't hate a thibs hire. i am not excited about him from what i've seen. i don't know how forward thinking he can be. but there are things about him i do respect. he represents an overall identity that DID come from his knicks origin story under JVG. and we need to be tougher and more relentless. but people question his relationship building, relatability, creativity... there's a long list of question marks despite his past successes.

i firmly believe in keeping assets. i think you need a mix of kids and vets to have a functional basketball team while developing. but i think there are other coaches who have exhibited development as a strength in ways that aren't as risky as the thibs approaches we've seen. in chicago, thibs DID develop guys. i LOVE the identity of his bulls teams. in minnesota it all blew up in his face, largely his own doing. but he also say some early success JUST from the change in identity. some say he didn't have the right players. jimmy butler would agree. jimmy's heat team kind of validates thibs a bit because that's a team with a lot of young players who are thriving and the right balance of vet guidance to be sustainably good.

once you have a foundation of decency with the right players, you can make some home run swings in addition. signing expensive vets too soon hamstrings your ability to develop a functional team. it's tough.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#23 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:50 pm

Nbabrothers wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:IB4TL

Why? That’s why I hesitate to post or reply on Realgm because of comments like that. If you don’t like the post then move on.

while not necessary, you post a LOT of new topics. and some of these can be part of existing conversations.

you could also similarly ignore responses like IB4TL. but i encourage you to give more thought as to why someone would say that.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Rangers248
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#24 » by Rangers248 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:19 pm

I honestly couldn't even think about this. I think we need to focus on being relevant and competitive first. It's been way too long
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,549

Post#25 » by Capn'O » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:23 pm

A lot. A lotta lotta lotta lotta lot.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,439

Post#26 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:09 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Nbabrothers wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:IB4TL

Why? That’s why I hesitate to post or reply on Realgm because of comments like that. If you don’t like the post then move on.

while not necessary, you post a LOT of new topics. and some of these can be part of existing conversations.

you could also similarly ignore responses like IB4TL. but i encourage you to give more thought as to why someone would say that.

Except mine! :)
Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks