ImageImageImageImageImage

Kevin Knox: keep him or not?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Kevin Knox

Keep him for 1 more year to evaluate him then
75%
Trade him for a late 1st pick or to get a veteran.
25%

Total votes: 63

Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,986

Re: Kevin Knox: keep him or not? 

Post#41 » by Richard4444 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:06 am

Keep in mind we have to decide about his 21/22 6 Millions team option before the beginning of the next season.

If continue to keep Knox we have to keep him on the rotation, low investment players like Iggy will likely have to wait for injuries to get a fair shot.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
-YogiBiz-
Pro Prospect
And1: 686

Post#42 » by -YogiBiz- » Wed Jul 1, 2020 2:38 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:This is nonsense. A) he is not that bad and B) typically you don't get players better than him in the second round. While he obviously wasn't a very good lottery pick, he would still be a top 10-20 player in the NBA among all active second round picks (meaning that you shouldn't deal him for a second rounder).

I'm sure I could name at least ten second rounders in 2018 & 2019 I would rather have than Knox.

Let's see:

Bruce Brown, Devonte' Graham, Jalen Brunson, Sviatoslav Mukhailiuk, Gary Trent Jr, Mitchell Robinson, Shake Milton, Eric Paschall, KZ Okpala (hasn't done a thing in the league but I still would take him over Knox, considering he's more athletic and a better defender), and Jalen McDaniels (at least he can finish).

The only reason Knox is still on our roster is because he was a lottery pick. If he was picked in the 20's or later, he woulda been cut.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,223

Post#43 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Jul 1, 2020 2:52 pm

I would trade him for a late first if we can get that. Else, just keep him and let him play consistent minutes as a stretch 4 off the bench.

I think Knox can def be better, but just have never been crazy about his game/style. Even if he pans out not sure he is the type of player I would want to pay and build with
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,374

Post#44 » by Ray Williams » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:46 pm

Keep, Calipari said it would take 3 years for this kid, I’ll give him another year.
Nbabrothers
Senior
And1: 203

Post#45 » by Nbabrothers » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:10 pm

Another year is the max for me but he needs to play 20 minutes per game to really show if he has any talent or not. He can’t be a seldom used bench player because it won’t be good for both him and the team and might as well get rid of him if we don’t use time for a real evaluation.
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,395

Post#46 » by NYKat » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:11 pm

Knox is only still here because physically and athletically he has all the tools

but as far as skills and between the ears, it don't look too good...

I'm over him, but obviously we want to be smart about it.
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,820

Post#47 » by spree2kawhi » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:37 pm

Richard4444 wrote:Keep in mind we have to decide about his 21/22 6 Millions team option before the beginning of the next season.

If continue to keep Knox we have to keep him on the rotation, low investment players like Iggy will likely have to wait for injuries to get a fair shot.

Knox is three times the prospect Iggy is.
spree2kawhi
RealGM

Post#48 » by spree2kawhi » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:40 pm

god shammgod wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:kevin knox is 20 years old. people wylin. if we are supposed to care about development, we should be a lot more patient with young players who were EXPECTED to be projects.

that's the whole issue with taking young guys. it's often going to take the entire rookie scale deal to know what you've got. some guys hit the ground running as teenagers, but that's a lot to ask. some NBA careers are slow burns (see: kyle lowry).

my question is...is it worth it to draft a slow burn player ? they almost never end up staying with the team that drafted them because after 4 years that team doesn't want to pay them and has run out of patience trying to develop them. knox might figure it out but it probably won't be here unless he does it soon.

Knox wasn't drafted as a slow burner. He was drafted as and is a 6'9 athletic and fluid shooter.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,913

Post#49 » by god shammgod » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:41 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:kevin knox is 20 years old. people wylin. if we are supposed to care about development, we should be a lot more patient with young players who were EXPECTED to be projects.

that's the whole issue with taking young guys. it's often going to take the entire rookie scale deal to know what you've got. some guys hit the ground running as teenagers, but that's a lot to ask. some NBA careers are slow burns (see: kyle lowry).

my question is...is it worth it to draft a slow burn player ? they almost never end up staying with the team that drafted them because after 4 years that team doesn't want to pay them and has run out of patience trying to develop them. knox might figure it out but it probably won't be here unless he does it soon.

Knox wasn't drafted as a slow burner. He was drafted as and is a 6'9 athletic and fluid shooter.

then he's a bust
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,942

Post#50 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:45 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

true we had those expectations of his talents. but i think it was also clear that it could take time for him to put it together.

like, i think we can all see that he IS athletic. his shot has been inconsitent, but so has his PT. he's got really poor defensive awareness. these are the kind of things you'd think a guy could get a chance to work on with some floor time, at least in the g league if you're going to glue him to the bench in the bigs. i dunno.

and of course, he could just be a bust. but i DO see the potential with him even now. and i have never been super high on him.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,942

Post#51 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:46 pm

god shammgod wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

then he's a bust

looking the way of the bust if he was expected to have impact in those areas already.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,039

Post#52 » by GONYK » Wed Jul 1, 2020 6:07 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:

then he's a bust

looking the way of the bust if he was expected to have impact in those areas already.

I don't think there is any real argument to support that he was drafted to be an impact player from day 1
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,384

Post#53 » by robillionaire » Wed Jul 1, 2020 6:40 pm

definitely keep for at least 1 more season, his value is basically 0, it's not like we really have much of a choice in the matter other than to hope he breaks out which is entirely possible but it depends on how the new regime and coach feel about him
Richard4444
General Manager

Post#54 » by Richard4444 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 6:45 pm

I think the question of this thread is if you would trade Knox in case of any team give us a late FRP (or similar value) for him. It is an improbable but possible scenario.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
spree2kawhi
RealGM

Post#55 » by spree2kawhi » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:55 pm

god shammgod wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

then he's a bust

Touché. Could be :lol:
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,248

Post#56 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:07 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:Keep in mind we have to decide about his 21/22 6 Millions team option before the beginning of the next season.

Knox is three times the prospect Iggy is.

Iggy is a significantly better player with a fairly high level grasp of the game. Iggy is a player you can build chemistry with.

I'd invest my time in him over Knox who may never reach Iggy's abilities or begin to exhibit a fraction of Iggy's hoops IQ
mrpoetryNmotion
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,118

Post#57 » by mrpoetryNmotion » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:49 pm

GONYK wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
then he's a bust

I don't think there is any real argument to support that he was drafted to be an impact player from day 1

Pretty much this.

He was project who was featured on offense and given a lot of minutes without any real direction/coaching in his first year. In his second year his minutes go down and he is not featured at all. Even on the second unit.

I think Knox deserves criticism for his mental toughness and his defensive awareness,sure, but if I have to allocate blame I think the Knicks deserve the bulk of it.

Whether or not you think Knox was a good pick or the right pick, that is separate from the poor player development we have seen out of this franchise for the last 20 years or so. I would hope that this aspect of the Knicks will receive a facelift under Leon's watch.

If we need to bet on all our draft picks developing and excelling due to their own merit, in spite of the Knicks, then we're going nowhere and it doesn't matter who we draft in the long run until development becomes an organizational priority.
Richard4444
General Manager

Post#58 » by Richard4444 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 9:22 pm

mrpoetryNmotion wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

Pretty much this.

He was project who was featured on offense and given a lot of minutes without any real direction/coaching in his first year. In his second year his minutes go down and he is not featured at all. Even on the second unit.

I think Knox deserves criticism for his mental toughness and his defensive awareness,sure, but if I have to allocate blame I think the Knicks deserve the bulk of it.

Whether or not you think Knox was a good pick or the right pick, that is separate from the poor player development we have seen out of this franchise for the last 20 years or so. I would hope that this aspect of the Knicks will receive a facelift under Leon's watch.

If we need to bet on all our draft picks developing and excelling due to their own merit, in spite of the Knicks, then we're going nowhere and it doesn't matter who we draft in the long run until development becomes an organizational priority.

1) Usually, its not a good deal to draft "slow burn" players. When they starts to play well, his rookie deal is over and we have to pay him as a FA vet.

2) Knox averaged 18 minutes per game this season and always played poorly. You cant say he didnt get enough minutes. Younger players usually have to show some production to get more than 20 minutes per game.

3) If we analyze the past decade, we can say Knicks frequently wasted time in bad prospects. But I cant say Knicks had no patience in good ones. No player that leaves Knicks had a great career in another team. That poor team development stigma is not proven. But Knicks were definitely a bad draft picker.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
mrpoetryNmotion
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,118

Post#59 » by mrpoetryNmotion » Wed Jul 1, 2020 10:52 pm

Richard4444 wrote:
mrpoetryNmotion wrote:
GONYK wrote:

Pretty much this.

1) Usually, its not a good deal to draft "slow burn" players. When they starts to play well, his rookie deal is over and we have to pay him as a FA vet.

2) Knox averaged 18 minutes per game this season and always played poorly. You cant say he didnt get enough minutes. Younger players usually have to show some production to get more than 20 minutes per game.

3) If we analyze the past decade, we can say Knicks frequently wasted time in bad prospects. But I cant say Knicks had no patience in good ones. No player that leaves Knicks had a great career in another team. That poor team development stigma is not proven. But Knicks were definitely a bad draft picker.

1) Not particularly sure what the exact definition of a "slow burn" player is, and if the Knicks identified him as such when they drafted him, but I don't disagree with you. Again, I think that is knock on the overall development structure within this organization. You draft a guy with potential and a questionable motor that is expected to take a few years to develop but then have no plan for him? Why draft that player then? What is your overall strategy here on how to field a good team? Again, I am more unimpressed with management here than Knox. Knox is what I thought he was coming out of college--an engigma, a player who certainly doesn't have it all put together.

2) I am not making an argument that he should receive more minutes. I am noting the lack of consistent gameplan for him, as was written in my previous post. I was not in favor of him receiving all the minutes he received in his rookie where he pretty much was given the greenlight to jack up all sorts of terrible shots without any real coaching/accountability. Not sure what you're arguing here. Whether you play someone 10 minutes, 20 minutes, etc., and you're supposedly working to develop said player, I think you put them in positions to succeed, work on developing strengths, run certain actions for them, pull them/teach them when they make mistakes. That is not what has happened here. The free agent signings certainly did not help. I don't think Knox has played good at all, and he certainly wasn't my preference with the pick, but I disagree with ignoring the organization's role here.

3) Charlie Ward was the last player drafted by the Knicks to receive a multi-year deal after his rookie contract. David Lee received a one year deal. Despite how much I hated Lee's defense and what I perceived to be empty stats out of him, he very much grew out of the concrete that was Knicks, particularly during some of the worst years of Isaiah's tenure. Not sure why your scope is limited to just the last decade. There are certainly a number of trash picks the Knicks have made, like Early, Hill, Balkman and Collins...Sweetney. Trevor Ariza was traded out of here in a win now move for a washed up Steve Francis and Ariza has been a very solid role player over the years and played a big role on that Lakers championship team. Frye was a decent player traded in a win now move for Zach Randolph that eventually lead us nowhere. Chandler and Gallo got traded in the win now for Melo...and at least we got a few seasons there where we made the playoffs before falling back into mediocrity. Shumpert was traded up out of here, too, and ended up playing a role on the Cavs for a little bit. Tim Hardaway is the most laughable. Didn't particularly develop him and let him chuck up shots only to trade him and then become enamored with him when he was in the Hawks. Sign him to a deal and to a role that was clearly not aligned with his capabilities and again, give him the green light to chuck up shots. I won't even touch Porzingis. Granted, I am not the biggest fan of these players, and don't disagree that there may have been merit to trading some of them, but I don't think any of them were really developed and I don't think our organizational strategy was ever focused around their development.

I am not even addressing all the first round picks that the team has traded away that speak to other levels of managerial ineptitude. The general trend is that players don't seem to get better here and I think there is something to be said when you're starting off your career in a dysfunctional situation and what that does for your growth as a player. The development of Frank has been quite confusing thus far. To me, it is questionable if Mitch is really improving skill-wise or will take any sort of leap here. RJ was drafted this year and yet we clog up the lane by signing and prioritizing Morris and Randle? What is our strategy? Our plan for developing these players? Why did we think this was a good move? To me, at least, I don't see clear, reasonable answers.
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#60 » by FutureKnicksGM » Wed Jul 1, 2020 11:48 pm

Give him a year getting a consistent 20+minutes at back up 4, and let’s see what we have.

Return to New York Knicks