ImageImageImageImageImage

NY Knicks 2020 Draft Big Board #14 Pick - 24 Hours to VOTE

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

NY Knicks 2020 Draft Big Board #14 Pick - 24 Hours to VOTE

Poll ended at Wed Jul 8, 2020 5:05 pm

Tyrell Terry
11%
RJ Hampton
31%
Aaron Nesmith
31%
Tyrese Maxey
3%
Theo Maledon
3%
Precious Achiuwa
11%
Patrick Williams
3%
Other (Write in comments)
6%

Total votes: 35

3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 120,463

Re: NY Knicks 2020 Draft Big Board #13 Pick - 24 Hours to VOTE 

Post#41 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Jul 8, 2020 12:11 am

RHODEY wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
Right, I get that he has solid handles and will be good in transition. I think he''ll' be good for what he is. But what he is might not be
that special to us. He's an energy big. We have Mitch....

https://www.thestepien.com/2020/02/10/precious-achiuwa-scouting-report/

I dont see him as a big man like Mitch. His game is much different. Hes a SF/PF. That's what he played in high school. He only played C in college cause Wiseman was out

Put him back at his true position and you'll see him creating more shots from the perimeter like he did in high school
Read on Twitter

Right but according to the stephien he's not good at pick and pops or shooting at the college level, is there a reason why you think he'll improve at the nba level?

Well first things first, I am not a big fan of the stepien. Every year they have huge misses on prospects. Last year they had Culver over RJ, Ja Morant, Hachimura, Herro.. etc. Year before that they had Jaren Jackson over Trae Young, Ayton, SGA.. Knox over Collin Sexon.. etc list goes on. So I don't put too much stock into their stuff.

Precious has a good form and has shown he can hit the 3. So why can't he improve?
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 101,280

Re: NY Knicks 2020 Draft Big Board #14 Pick - 24 Hours to VOTE 

Post#42 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 12:14 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:Also I don't see it with RJ Hampton. Does he do anything well outside of having some plus athleticism?

At that point is he just riding on the coastails of his high school hype? Becuase Cassius Stanley is great athlete too doesn't mean I would pick him in the lottery.

High school hype and his flashes. He's a nice prospect. I was pretty high on him coming into the season. But I am not really worried about his game. It's the fact that he already has hip problems. Seems risky to me

as competition gets better some players just wash out.

There are a lot of players that dominated and had flashes in high school. But I try to evaluate these guys and see what is a translatable skill at the next level?

He not a good shooter, he's a tweener (not someone that you trust being a point guard), he is not going to help you on defense. Kinda gives me some OJ Mayo vibes. Or maybe best case have a Will Barton type scoring 6th man as a ceiling to me.

And while he's a good athlet...he's not a zach lavine athlete.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,780

Post#43 » by RHODEY » Wed Jul 8, 2020 12:17 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:I dont see him as a big man like Mitch. His game is much different. Hes a SF/PF. That's what he played in high school. He only played C in college cause Wiseman was out

Put him back at his true position and you'll see him creating more shots from the perimeter like he did in high school
Read on Twitter

Right but according to the stephien he's not good at pick and pops or shooting at the college level, is there a reason why you think he'll improve at the nba level?

Well first things first, I am not a big fan of the stepien. Every year they have huge misses on prospects. Last year they had Culver over RJ, Ja Morant, Hachimura, Herro.. etc. Year before that they had Jaren Jackson over Trae Young, Ayton, SGA.. Knox over Collin Sexon.. etc list goes on. So I don't put too much stock into their stuff.

Precious has a good form and has shown he can hit the 3. So why can't he improve?

Never said he couldn't just wondered why you think he will. I like the Stephien though, sure they miss once and a while , but who doesn't?
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#44 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 12:23 am

having JJJ over prospects shouldn't be considerd a knock.

40% on 3's on a high volume. With his versatility as a defensive player in todays NBA and his scoring and shooting ability. Kid is a stud.

ROSTER

3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#45 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Jul 8, 2020 12:27 am

mpharris36 wrote:having JJJ over prospects shouldn't be considerd a knock.

40% on 3's on a high volume. With his versatility as a defensive player in todays NBA and his scoring and shooting ability. Kid is a stud.

JJJ hasn't been that great on defense. Most advanced stats point towards him being a negative defender this year. And he is one of the weakest rebounders in the league. He is a nice scorer though
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#46 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 12:30 am

3toheadmelo wrote:

JJJ hasn't been that great on defense. Most advanced stats point towards him being a negative defender this year. And he is one of the weakest rebounders in the league. He is a nice scorer though

Yeah the rebounding is odd...would like to see that improve. But he's never been an elite rebounder. As long as he's doing his job boxing out rebounds really don't mean much to me. But yeah under 5 with about 30 mins a game is no bueno.

ROSTER

3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#47 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Jul 8, 2020 12:36 am

mpharris36 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:

Yeah the rebounding is odd...would like to see that improve. But he's never been an elite rebounder. As long as he's doing his job boxing out rebounds really don't mean much to me. But yeah under 5 with about 30 mins a game is no bueno.

I was surprised at how much he regressed on defense this year. He hasnt been that good in that area
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#48 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Jul 8, 2020 12:43 am

mpharris36 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:Also I don't see it with RJ Hampton. Does he do anything well outside of having some plus athleticism?

At that point is he just riding on the coastails of his high school hype? Becuase Cassius Stanley is great athlete too doesn't mean I would pick him in the lottery.

High school hype and his flashes. He's a nice prospect. I was pretty high on him coming into the season. But I am not really worried about his game. It's the fact that he already has hip problems. Seems risky to me

There are a lot of players that dominated and had flashes in high school. But I try to evaluate these guys and see what is a translatable skill at the next level?

He not a good shooter, he's a tweener (not someone that you trust being a point guard), he is not going to help you on defense. Kinda gives me some OJ Mayo vibes. Or maybe best case have a Will Barton type scoring 6th man as a ceiling to me.

His ceiling is prob Donovan Mitchell. I can see the intrigue with him. His handles are nice, can create his own shot and he's pretty athletic. His shot needs work but at least he has a nice form. So I can see the upside with him. I am just worried about his hip
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,318

Post#49 » by aq_ua » Wed Jul 8, 2020 12:46 am

moocow007 wrote:I'll have to go with this guy again. Write-in: Paul Reed

I'm telling you guys right now...same time next year you'll be saying I was right.

I would take a flyer on him in the middle of the first round, just not ahead of Achiuwa.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#50 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 12:47 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:High school hype and his flashes. He's a nice prospect. I was pretty high on him coming into the season. But I am not really worried about his game. It's the fact that he already has hip problems. Seems risky to me

His ceiling is prob Donovan Mitchell. I can see the intrigue with him. His handles are nice, can create his own shot and he's pretty athletic. His shot needs work but at least he has a nice form. So I can see the upside with him. I am just worried about his hip

I don't think he can put on the frame that Mitchell has. Hampton is skinny skinny and doesn't have the frame to put on a lot of weight. So he will always be thin and that means he will struggle with power in the NBA and getting to his spots.

I perosnally see a guy that can give you punch of the bench but I just dont see a full time starter because I just don't see a translatable NBA skill that will make him either a good enough to warrant PG duties or enough effeciency to be a big time scorer. He kinda just got washed out in the league he was in.

ROSTER

8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,960

Post#51 » by 8516knicks » Wed Jul 8, 2020 12:54 am

Sadiq Bey - he'll be playing when half the people drafted before him are out of the league.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#52 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Jul 8, 2020 1:04 am

mpharris36 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

I don't think he can put on the frame that Mitchell has. Hampton is skinny skinny and doesn't have the frame to put on a lot of weight. So he will always be thin and that means he will struggle with power in the NBA and getting to his spots.

I perosnally see a guy that can give you punch of the bench but I just dont see a full time starter because I just don't see a translatable NBA skill that will make him either a good enough to warrant PG duties or enough effeciency to be a big time scorer. He kinda just got washed out in the league he was in.

I believe his team was good (correct me if im wrong) and he didn't have much freedom on his team like Lamelo did. I also dont think he's super skinny. When I think of skinny skinny, I think of Ja Morant. And even Ja is still pretty effective being that underweight.

I think his upside is dope though. His first step is really good and his handle is above average. Chris Paul was saying he's worth the hype after playing against him too. At #14 in the draft, I wouldn't mind taking him at all. The only guy I see with comparable upside as him is Precious Achiuwa. If Precious was off the board, Hampton would have my vote.
Read on Twitter
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,890

Post#53 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Jul 8, 2020 1:08 am

Its tough to say because he had a small sample size in a pro league. But def shows some flashes. The athletiscm is the main thing that stands out. He has another gear and can play at different speeds. Electric in the open floor. Hes a solid passer/playmaker, can handle the ball a bit. He is a little raw, but seems like a lot of base talent, skills and athletiscm that could be developed. Potentially, he could be a good scorer with solid playmaking and plus defense.

Per 36 he avg 15.4ppg, 4.2apg, 2.7to, 6.8rpg, 1.9spg, 40%fg, 30%3pt

Not spectacular, but not really as bad as it seemed for an 18 year old playing pro for the first time.

Cassius Stanley is almost 2 years older and isnt near the playmaker (1apg to 1.9 TO). Dont think he's as good of a prospect or as skilled plus is older. Would def take a shot on RJ way before Stanley.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#54 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 1:15 am

Deeeez Knicks wrote:

Its tough to say because he had a small sample size in a pro league. But def shows some flashes. The athletiscm is the main thing that stands out. He has another gear and can play at different speeds. Electric in the open floor. Hes a solid passer/playmaker, can handle the ball a bit. He is a little raw, but seems like a lot of base talent, skills and athletiscm that could be developed. Potentially, he could be a good scorer with solid playmaking and plus defense.

Not spectacular, but not really as bad as it seemed for an 18 year old playing pro for the first time.

Cassius Stanley is almost 2 years older and isnt near the playmaker (1apg to 1.9 TO). Dont think he's as good of a prospect or as skilled plus is older. Would def take a shot on RJ way before Stanley.

dont disagree it was more of a comp that is Hamptons biggest strength is athleticism that goes for a lot of players. He still has to have translatable nba talent as well. Still trying to figure out what makes him stand out because thre are a lot of quick guards in the NBA. Seems like he is a high boom bust pick. At some point I am into taking guys that may have a perceived lower ceiling but have translatable nba skills.

While I do understand the idea of drafting for ceiling...I am also a believer of simply not wasting picks to shoot for the stars when the odds are low on that player reaching there ceiling.

ROSTER

HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#55 » by HEZI » Wed Jul 8, 2020 1:32 am

RJ Hampton is my wildcard. He has a lot of tools and can become anything from role player to All Star so it's hard to predict what he will be. I'd definitely take a chance on him with a 2nd lotto pick if we had it. I just like that kid

Plus he's a workhorse. Not only is he working on his game but he looks like he's really put on on some muscle

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

He might be somebody that takes a little longer to adjust to the NBA but might become one of the better players in the draft eventually. Not exactly somebody I would target with our 1st lotto pick but somebody I would still like to have with potentially a 2nd pick
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#56 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Jul 8, 2020 1:57 am

mpharris36 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

dont disagree it was more of a comp that is Hamptons biggest strength is athleticism that goes for a lot of players. He still has to have translatable nba talent as well. Still trying to figure out what makes him stand out because thre are a lot of quick guards in the NBA. Seems like he is a high boom bust pick. At some point I am into taking guys that may have a perceived lower ceiling but have translatable nba skills.

While I do understand the idea of drafting for ceiling...I am also a believer of simply not wasting picks to shoot for the stars when the odds are low on that player reaching there ceiling.

Sometimes player work out like that (Westbrook, etc). Sometimes not. Athletiscm/speed alone may not lead to an nba role but it can def raise the celing.

I think RJ has some skills to work with. They have to be refined. His jumper is not that far off. Adding some muscle will help him finish a little better. His passing is decent but can get better. Just seems like he has a lot of differnt paths.

He is def more boom or bust. At this point i would rather take a shot on more upside then a safe role player. Seems like a bunch of guys that can be similar to Nesmith or play a similar role but i don't see many high upside guys.
Mavs
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#57 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Jul 8, 2020 2:00 am

HEZI wrote:RJ Hampton is my wildcard. He has a lot of tools and can become anything from role player to All Star so it's hard to predict what he will be. I'd definitely take a chance on him with a 2nd lotto pick if we had it. I just like that kid

Plus he's a workhorse. Not only is he working on his game but he looks like he's really put on on some muscle

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

He might be somebody that takes a little longer to adjust to the NBA but might become one of the better players in the draft eventually. Not exactly somebody I would target with our 1st lotto pick but somebody I would still like to have with potentially a 2nd pick

Looked like he was working with Mike Miller (former player) and Penny too
Mavs
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#58 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 2:02 am

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

Sometimes player work out like that (Westbrook, etc). Sometimes not. Athletiscm/speed alone may not lead to an nba role but it can def raise the celing.

I think RJ has some skills to work with. They have to be refined. His jumper is not that far off. Adding some muscle will help him finish a little better. His passing is decent but can get better. Just seems like he has a lot of differnt paths.

He is def more boom or bust. At this point i would rather take a shot on more upside then a safe role player. Seems like a bunch of guys that can be similar to Nesmith or play a similar role but i don't see many high upside guys.

while I understand that approach and to some extent I''m willing to go after the high end...you have to also not waste picks.

If a lot of guys are like Nesmith but then someone like Joe Harris who is versatile and can shoot it north of 40% on a high volume is going to be super coveted as a FA just like Bertans is.

If guys that could shoot and shoot off movement could grow on trees every team would have them.

I think there are more guys like Hampton that come and go in the league. Lot of flash, less substance. I mean I understand taking risks but this guy also isn't a russell westbrook prospect.

I see it like this you can only have a couple guys at most on the roster that can be high usage guys. If that guy isn't going to be good enough to warrant that high usage I would rather not even waste my time. I would rather have a guy fit a really good skillset and hopefully eventually then find the guy that warrants that usage.

Also we probably aren't in his range. Because Hampton isn't a top 8 type pick talent. I think like Hezi says its a little easier to swallow if you have mulitple picks and he is still there in the latery lottery mid teams. But to stomach that with our pick...I dont see it.

ROSTER

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#59 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Jul 8, 2020 3:24 am

mpharris36 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

while I understand that approach and to some extent I''m willing to go after the high end...you have to also not waste picks.

If a lot of guys are like Nesmith but then someone like Joe Harris who is versatile and can shoot it north of 40% on a high volume is going to be super coveted as a FA just like Bertans is.

If guys that could shoot and shoot off movement could grow on trees every team would have them.

I think there are more guys like Hampton that come and go in the league. Lot of flash, less substance. I mean I understand taking risks but this guy also isn't a russell westbrook prospect.

I see it like this you can only have a couple guys at most on the roster that can be high usage guys. If that guy isn't going to be good enough to warrant that high usage I would rather not even waste my time. I would rather have a guy fit a really good skillset and hopefully eventually then find the guy that warrants that usage.

Also we probably aren't in his range. Because Hampton isn't a top 8 type pick talent. I think like Hezi says its a little easier to swallow if you have mulitple picks and he is still there in the latery lottery mid teams. But to stomach that with our pick...I dont see it.

To be fair we probably are not in any of these guys range currently. Its unlikely any of them will fall to #27 and i wouldn't take any of them top 8 since we are up to pick #14. it would probably depend what we are doing with our other picks as to what would make sense here...between safer or high upside, position, etc. If we ended with say Ball or even Hayes then a shooter would make a lot of sense with another pick.

Its impossible to predict that part so just in a vacuum i like RJ as a prospect here. Just about every pick has some risk here anyway. Just in general, think it is a good range to take more chances or look for more upside.
Mavs
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#60 » by knickstape4ever » Wed Jul 8, 2020 4:15 am

for me it's Nesmith because he has the most bankable skill of the players left: shooting, a premium skill in today's game

Return to New York Knicks