ImageImageImageImageImage

TIEBREAKER 24 HOUR VOTE! Aaron Nesmith vs RJ Hampton

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Who do you have higher on your big board

Poll ended at Thu Jul 9, 2020 5:55 pm

Aaron Nesmith
54%
RJ Hampton
46%

Total votes: 37

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,205

Re: TIEBREAKER 24 HOUR VOTE! Aaron Nesmith vs RJ Hampton 

Post#21 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 7:18 pm

HEZI wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Really irrelevant because again it didn't stop Brogdon from getting his shots. Joe Harris is almost 30 years old, been in the league 6 years and just had a career year in which he put up 11 shots a game, a whole 2 shots more than he was getting in that slow paced system at Virginia. Clearly the system wasn't holding him back

I'm still struggling to understand the relevancy. Brogdan is a main ball handler in one year he produced good results. Virginia finally had a PG that could create a bit so Brogden in his 4th year put up good numbers. It doesn't change there overall system.

Also my point is that Nesmith is a better version of Joe Harris because he doesn't need the development years. He is much more advanced in terms of scoring than Harris was and Harris took years of development to get where I believe Nesmith is already at.

I think right away in the right system Nesmith can be a 10-15 ppg scorer shooting +40% from 3

In the right system Tony Snell can too :lol:

Nesmith looks like an NBA bench player on a good team to me. I just don't see starter material, sorry

Again show me clips of a team running an offense through Tony Snell? I'm not saying Nesmith is a shot creator. He also isn't a stand around shooter. I think anyone can youtube the clips. The guys runs sideline to sideline and through pin downs and can even shoot of the dribble to evade shot contesters.

Snell is a low release set shot shooter. He has no movement in his game at all.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,214

Post#22 » by KnicksGod » Wed Jul 8, 2020 7:27 pm

Is Nesmith twitchy?
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#23 » by HEZI » Wed Jul 8, 2020 7:28 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
HEZI wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
I'm still struggling to understand the relevancy. Brogdan is a main ball handler in one year he produced good results. Virginia finally had a PG that could create a bit so Brogden in his 4th year put up good numbers. It doesn't change there overall system.

Also my point is that Nesmith is a better version of Joe Harris because he doesn't need the development years. He is much more advanced in terms of scoring than Harris was and Harris took years of development to get where I believe Nesmith is already at.

I think right away in the right system Nesmith can be a 10-15 ppg scorer shooting +40% from 3

Nesmith looks like an NBA bench player on a good team to me. I just don't see starter material, sorry

Again show me clips of a team running an offense through Tony Snell? I'm not saying Nesmith is a shot creator. He also isn't a stand around shooter. I think anyone can youtube the clips. The guys runs sideline to sideline and through pin downs and can even shoot of the dribble to evade shot contesters.

Pistons run a bunch of plays for Snell. Off ball Screen action, pick and roll, Iso, etc.

Nobody in the NBA is going to give Nesmith the type of usage he saw in Vanderbilt, they were terrible with him and without him by the way, but thats not even the point. The point is he's just not that good for the pro level. He had a great 12 game stretch in college though but again he just doesn't look that standout to me.

Here's Snell in Detroit

Your narrative that they just sit him in the corner for catch and shoot is just false. They use him a lot, he's just not that good.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#24 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 7:32 pm

HEZI wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
HEZI wrote:

Pistons run a bunch of plays for Snell. Off ball Screen action, pick and roll, Iso, etc.

Nobody in the NBA is going to give Nesmith the type of usage he saw in Vanderbilt, they were terrible with him and without him by the way, but thats not even the point. The point is he's just not that good for the pro level. He had a great 12 game stretch in college though but again he just doesn't look that standout to me.

Here's Snell in Detroit

Your narrative that they just sit him in the corner for catch and shoot is just false. They use him a lot, he's just not that good.

I can show a clip of Frank scoring 20 pts that doesn't mean he is a 20 ppg scorer or even close to that.

Snell career he avgs 6.5 ppg the man has zero shot creativity. Like I said even in college he wasn't a big time scorer. Nesmith nearly doubled his scoring average. I fail to see any comparison.

And one of the only places I have seen the Tony Snell comparison (which I'm sure where this started) was NBA draft room which is god awful with there comparisons. They say Cole Anthony is Jarryd Bayless which I'm sure you don't agree with :lol:

ROSTER

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,440

Post#25 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 8, 2020 7:38 pm

:lol:

Free Palestine
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,051

Post#26 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Jul 8, 2020 7:39 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
HEZI wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Here's Snell in Detroit

I can show a clip of Frank scoring 20 pts that doesn't mean he is a 20 ppg scorer or even close to that.

Snell career he avgs 6.5 ppg the man has zero shot creativity. Like I said even in college he wasn't a big time scorer. Nesmith nearly doubled his scoring average. I fail to see any comparison.

And one of the only places I have seen the Tony Snell comparison (which I'm sure where this started) was NBA draft room which is god awful with there comparisons. They say Cole Anthony is Jarryd Bayless which I'm sure you don't agree with :lol:

Yeah you right about Tony snell and Frank both being trash :o
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#27 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 7:40 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
HEZI wrote:

Here's Snell in Detroit

Yeah you right about Tony snell and Frank both being trash :o

:lol:

ROSTER

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,964

Post#28 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Jul 8, 2020 7:40 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:Hampton reminds me a tall Dennis Smith Jr.

I think my issue is that when I try to see his role in the NBA I don't see where people are seeing the high ceiling. Like if he reaches his full potential of a elite combo guard with a nice first step and a reliable shot and ok playmaking do they see Zach Lavine?

What are the odds that he gets there vs someone who has a much more translatable NBA skill.

I guess my argument is I understand the risk vs reward of going high ceiling but in terms if you are just looking at youth and athleticism that is where you start missing out on highly skilled guys like the draymond greens and the malcolm brogdens and the list goes on and on that maybe they don't have the flash but they contribute to winning.

I also understand the need to get a lead dog. That is clear and I guess I don't expect to get one in this range so I wouldn't just shoot for the stars with the odds that being not good that Hampton gets to the ceiling people are hoping he gets to.

In terms of RJ's upside, it can be tough to say. There's a ton of good scoring combo guards these days though... Lavine, Donovan Mitchell, Murray, Bledose, Dipo, Jrue, Nunn, Russell, Booker, etc. They are all kinda different, and not sure RJ lines up with any of them perfectly...I could see his upside being something like a mix of some of those guys with 20/5/5 type numbers or something. More and more teams use multiple combo guards or multiple secondary playmakers so I dont think its necessarily a bad thing if we duplicate. We do need 2 or 3 guys that can make plays, as well as shooters.

A lot of the upside does come down to hoping RJ can improve his 3. His shot doesn't look broken or anything. He has a nice mid range game. So think there is some promise there where he can maybe be at least an ok 3 point shooter enough to keep defenses honest
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
HEZI
RealGM

Post#29 » by HEZI » Wed Jul 8, 2020 7:41 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
HEZI wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Here's Snell in Detroit

So you just ignored the clips that CLEARLY show him scoring in a variety of ways. And again, Doug McDermott put up better numbers than Nesmith in college and it never translated to him being some big time scorer in the NBA. What team is going to run a bunch of plays for Nesmith in the NBA? Not even a lotto team is going to, there's better talent even on lotto teams where better players will be featured. He's not even that good at running routes.

Would lose 0 sleep on missing out on Nesmith. There's guys in the 2nd round who can be used in the same way, run routes and shoot. Nesmith has very little actual NBA quality talent to make him anything more than a role player at best. Very little versatility. Meh!
DENVER NUGGETS
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#30 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 7:47 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:Hampton reminds me a tall Dennis Smith Jr.

I think my issue is that when I try to see his role in the NBA I don't see where people are seeing the high ceiling. Like if he reaches his full potential of a elite combo guard with a nice first step and a reliable shot and ok playmaking do they see Zach Lavine?

What are the odds that he gets there vs someone who has a much more translatable NBA skill.

I guess my argument is I understand the risk vs reward of going high ceiling but in terms if you are just looking at youth and athleticism that is where you start missing out on highly skilled guys like the draymond greens and the malcolm brogdens and the list goes on and on that maybe they don't have the flash but they contribute to winning.

I also understand the need to get a lead dog. That is clear and I guess I don't expect to get one in this range so I wouldn't just shoot for the stars with the odds that being not good that Hampton gets to the ceiling people are hoping he gets to.

In terms of RJ's upside, it can be tough to say. There's a ton of good scoring combo guards these days though... Lavine, Donovan Mitchell, Murray, Bledose, Dipo, Jrue, Nunn, Russell, Booker, etc. They are all kinda different, and not sure RJ lines up with any of them perfectly...I could see his upside being something like a mix of some of those guys with 20/5/5 type numbers or something. More and more teams use multiple combo guards or multiple secondary playmakers so I dont think its necessarily a bad thing if we duplicate. We do need 2 or 3 guys that can make plays, as well as shooters.

A lot of the upside does come down to hoping RJ can improve his 3. His shot doesn't look broken or anything. He has a nice mid range game. So think there is some promise there where he can maybe be at least an ok 3 point shooter enough to keep defenses honest

understandable but I see major gaps there.

You have guys like Mitchell, Dipo, Jrue, Bledsoe who were all difference makers on defense in college and continue to have 2-way value.

Hampton even the best outlooks have him as a avg defender at best.

I also don't think he is a lavine/mitchell dipo level athlete either. Quick first step but sure doesn't attack the rim like those guys do.

And then I don't think he has the shooting of a Murray (who was a elite shooter in college on high volume). Guys like Booker and Russell even in freshman small sample sizes were already really good shooters as well (over 40% on high volume).

There is a long way for Hampton to get to that status and the the other combo guards we desirable because they had other elite translatable traits like defense.

ROSTER

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#31 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 7:51 pm

HEZI wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
HEZI wrote:

Here's Snell in Detroit

So you just ignored the clips that CLEARLY show him scoring in a variety of ways. And again, Doug McDermott put up better numbers than Nesmith in college and it never translated to him being some big time scorer in the NBA. What team is going to run a bunch of plays for Nesmith in the NBA? Not even a lotto team is going to, there's better talent even on lotto teams where better players will be featured. He's not even that good at running routes.

Would lose 0 sleep on missing out on Nesmith. There's guys in the 2nd round who can be used in the same way, run routes and shoot. Nesmith has very little actual NBA quality talent to make him anything more than a role player at best. Very little versatility. Meh!

So by your logic are you telling me there is simply no difference of a player like Tony Snell to a player like Joe Harris or JJ Reddick. A guy who can make a 3 is a guy that can make a 3?

ROSTER

Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,974

Post#32 » by Richard4444 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 7:56 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
HEZI wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

So by your logic are you telling me there is simply no difference of a player like Tony Snell to a player like Joe Harris or JJ Reddick. A guy who can make a 3 is a guy that can make a 3?

Yes. Klay, PG13, Novak and Snell are pretty much the same. Thats why they all get similar contracts.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#33 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 7:57 pm

Advance analytics:

Jump Shots - 99 percentile
C&S - 99 percentile
Off screens - 97 percentile
Around the basket - 59th percentile
Off the dribble - 74th percentile
Transition - 88th percentile
DHO - 97 percentile

ROSTER

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#34 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Jul 8, 2020 8:20 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

understandable but I see major gaps there.

You have guys like Mitchell, Dipo, Jrue, Bledsoe who were all difference makers on defense in college and continue to have 2-way value.

Hampton even the best outlooks have him as a avg defender at best.

I also don't think he is a lavine/mitchell dipo level athlete either. Quick first step but sure doesn't attack the rim like those guys do.

And then I don't think he has the shooting of a Murray (who was a elite shooter in college on high volume). Guys like Booker and Russell even in freshman small sample sizes were already really good shooters as well (over 40% on high volume).

There is a long way for Hampton to get to that status and the the other combo guards we desirable because they had other elite translatable traits like defense.

There are gaps, but all those guys are pretty unique in their own way. At the time, it could be hard to see how those guys could develop too. RJ could be his own type of player. Sometimes it's not a bad thing when there are no direct comparisons and a player carves his own path.

Yea, he is more of a project and a lot of those guys took some time to get there anyway. Hampton would be a top 5 pick if he looked more ready and there wasn't risk. No risk, no reward though.

Athletically, I think he is on a lot of those guys level or close especially in terms of speed. He might be faster then any of those guys and speed can be a major weapon. He def needs to add some muscle and get stronger. The comparison to those guys is tough cause RJ was 18 playing in a pro league compared to playing in college against peers. He was getting muscled and it was a steep learning curve, going from a HS Junior to a pro league. Maybe a reason why he struggled a bit and may slip.

Again, don't know if he gets there and there are plenty of question marks. He needs some time and to develop to see what his game will be like exactly. Think there is some upside for sure though.
Mavs
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,374

Post#35 » by god shammgod » Wed Jul 8, 2020 8:23 pm

all of a sudden he's klay thompson. how did he last so long then ?
HEZI
RealGM

Post#36 » by HEZI » Wed Jul 8, 2020 8:24 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
HEZI wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

How is that my logic? If anything that's actually your argument :lol:
DENVER NUGGETS
HEZI
RealGM

Post#37 » by HEZI » Wed Jul 8, 2020 8:27 pm

This feels like the Mikal Bridges argument again
DENVER NUGGETS
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#38 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 8:38 pm

HEZI wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
HEZI wrote:

How is that my logic? If anything that's actually your argument :lol:

Huh, I'm saying there is a complete difference in a C&S shooter. And a movement shooter.

ROSTER

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#39 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Jul 8, 2020 8:41 pm

Derozan like spin move

Read on Twitter
Mavs
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#40 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 8:51 pm

HEZI wrote:This feels like the Mikal Bridges argument again

Mikal Bridges is good though. He sure is a lot better than Knox.

And maybe the only player picked after him that is SGA and MPjr

ROSTER

Return to New York Knicks