ImageImageImageImageImage

Ian Begly- “ I think you’re gonna see a heavy veteran presence on the Knicks next year

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,223

Re: Ian Begly- “ I think you’re gonna see a heavy veteran presence on the Knicks next year 

Post#41 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:22 pm

AllanHoustonFan wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:As long as we don't bring back Melo

Sorry bud. Melo is coming home to finish his career lol.

NYKinMIA
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,989

Re: Ian Begly- “ I think you’re gonna see a heavy veteran presence on the Knicks next year 

Post#42 » by NYKinMIA » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:56 pm

EricAnderson wrote:
Read on Twitter

F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,918

Post#43 » by F N 11 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:13 pm

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:Y’all keep wanting to take the summer league starting five into the season. Ain’t no coach signing up for that. And it’s not how you grow a culture. We need vets. But the right ones.

Vets that do not need the ball in their hand and have an ego. Its simple. You could not have put it better.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
F N 11
RealGM

Post#44 » by F N 11 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:16 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:All this "some vets" with the youth is ok, until you remember this guy is still here:

I keep getting reminded that favorites continue to take up minutes from our youth. We need the right vets not vets trying to revive their career or earn a contract.

Payton
Calderon
Randle
Mudiay

Missing anyone? im trying to trust this front office. Keeping a close eye on tenancies. i must say Leon did straight up say Mitch and Rj are building blocks. Good signs so far.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,374

Post#45 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:22 pm

F N 11 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:All this "some vets" with the youth is ok, until you remember this guy is still here:

I keep getting reminded that favorites continue to take up minutes from our youth. We need the right vets not vets trying to revive their career or earn a contract.

Payton
Calderon
Randle
Mudiay

Missing anyone? im trying to trust this front office. Keeping a close eye on tenancies. i must say Leon did straight up say Mitch and Rj are building blocks. Good signs so far.

How is Randle trying to “revive his career” or earn a contract? He was viewed as a young player with upside after his breakout season with the Pelicans. And he still had a solid season here averaging 20/9/3 with no PG or shooters around him.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,416

Post#46 » by BadNewsBarnes » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:19 pm

Rose thinks we'll have a team like the one that Woodson coached that got us 55 wins.

Teams have gotten faster since then. The league is more up tempo now. Watching a Knick veteran-laden team will be like watching them in slo-motion. Except that will be in real-time, not in slo-mo. As in like them on ludes.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#47 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:35 pm

well a lot of assumptions are being made like who our coach will be and who will be on the roster

its a little premature

but id expect us to try to turn the tank around next year for sure

i expect to see a team trying to win be it under a coach like Thibs or Atkinson or Woodson or Kidd
none of these guys are going to be signing on to command a tank

so if you want to compete you do so with vets
unless you get the top pick
KnicksFan7
Sixth Man
And1: 875

Post#48 » by KnicksFan7 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:36 pm

Let's all be honest with each other. Nobody knows what the hell is going to happen. That's a fact. The reporters don't and I'm pretty sure 99.5% of you don't either. I'll give a .5% chance that someone on this board is plugged in somewhere and might know about 1/10th of what's going to happen.

Chill out. Enjoy the restart. And get ready for the next season.

PS: The hate for Melo is truly insane. Let the guy come and finish his career here. Most of you will say he got screwed, but when the team can rectify it, y'all are like, "nah. We're not here for that." SMDH
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#49 » by GEOLINK » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:43 pm

So basically what we've seen last 4 years... awesome.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,280

Post#50 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:25 pm

Chris Paul: 35 years old
Kyle Korver: 39 years old
Thabo Sefolosha: 36 years old
Udonis Haslem: 40 years old
Tyson Chandler: 37 years old
Carmelo Anthony: 36 years old

Leggo!
F N 11
RealGM

Post#51 » by F N 11 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:34 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
F N 11 wrote:

Payton
Calderon
Randle
Mudiay

How is Randle trying to “revive his career” or earn a contract? He was viewed as a young player with upside after his breakout season with the Pelicans. And he still had a solid season here averaging 20/9/3 with no PG or shooters around him.

I agree that he was viewed as a solid up and coming piece. However his bad tendencies started to show more on a bad team. When used right he’s good. I can deal with his bad plays on offense it’s the defense I just can’t accept.

To the point, Randle was part of Knox not getting more minutes. Morris was so good that you couldn’t not play him. Randle was average but made big bucks and viewed as a big time player. That hurt the front court but more importantly the team. I think if Morris was the 4, Mitch, Frank, and Miller was coach this team probably wins 35 games. Just by giving RJ more space. The Knicks refused to go modern.

Because we had Randle we forced Morris to play the 3. Which imo shows the previous regime did not care 1 bit about fit. Scott Perry on the clock.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#52 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:11 am

What is Begley basing that on? Why would they bring people like Perrin in if they were going to go all vet?
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#53 » by GEOLINK » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:24 am

thebuzzardman wrote:Chris Paul: 35 years old

Leggo!

2010 called, they want their fantasy team back.
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 33,209

Post#54 » by TheGreenArrow » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:10 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:Moarrrrrr Randle!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,622

Post#55 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:01 am

If Begley is right, then that excludes Kenny Atkinson.
Free Palestine
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#56 » by knickstape4ever » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:37 am

my biggest concerns w/ this FO from the beginning have been

1) relying on previous relationships rather than being objective about hiring/signing best FO people/players
2) going for the quick fix

it looks like both may be happening which is concerning

I dont mind signing vets; in fact, I think they're needed. Especially with the new lottery odds, I dont see the value anymore in throwing a bunch of young players out there and ending up w/ a bottom 3 team (lottery odds 6-9 are still solid). Vets are needed to compliment the younger players and show them how to play the right way/teach winning habits.

But IMO the priority shouldn't be to make the playoffs next year (which is something Begley and Berman have reported Rose wants); let that happen organically w/ a combination of young players and complimentary vets, rather than vets who will eat up most of the minutes/be ball dominant

I think it's meaningless to make a push for what would be the 8 seed and a 1st round exit in 4gms next season when the 2021 draft is one of the better classes in recent years.
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,310

Post#57 » by Hes_On_Fire » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:37 am

knickstape4ever wrote:my biggest concerns w/ this FO from the beginning have been

1) relying on previous relationships rather than being objective about hiring/signing best FO people/players
2) going for the quick fix

it looks like both may be happening which is concerning

I dont mind signing vets; in fact, I think they're needed. Especially with the new lottery odds, I dont see the value anymore in throwing a bunch of young players out there and ending up w/ a bottom 3 team (lottery odds 6-9 are still solid). Vets are needed to compliment the younger players and show them how to play the right way/teach winning habits.

But IMO the priority shouldn't be to make the playoffs next year (which is something Begley and Berman have reported Rose wants); let that happen organically w/ a combination of young players and complimentary vets, rather than vets who will eat up most of the minutes/be ball dominant

I think it's meaningless to make a push for what would be the 8 seed and a 1st round exit in 4gms next season when the 2021 draft is one of the better classes in recent years.

What will happen now is doing anything it takes to make the playoffs in order so Dolan can prop himself up and avoid any additional "sell the team" chants which he clearly hates.

Dolan views the Mills/Perry reign as his shot at rebuilding. It failed, so he'll go back to his starphuck ways to appease part of the fanbase that only cares about 8th seed playoff runs and nothing more.
New York Knicks franchise W-L record as of 9/2/22 since James L Dolan assumed full ownership (2001):

673-1,007
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,512

Post#58 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:12 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:We need vets, problem is we haven’t had the good type of vets since J-Kidd, Pablo, Sheed, Kurt and Camby.

We need vets who know who they are, and who can play off the ball to let the young guys shine. We don’t need vets to take the ball away from our young players’ hands, that makes no sense whatsoever.

F Payton, F Bullock, those are fake vets. They’re really just positioning themselves for their next check. Randle can go too, but I’m willing to give him another chance.

I can only empathize with one of Randle, Wiseman and Ayton. You choose.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,280

Post#59 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:25 am

GEOLINK wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Chris Paul: 35 years old

Leggo!

2010 called, they want their fantasy team back.

MOAR VETS!!!!!!
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,223

Post#60 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:46 am

RETRACTION: Ian Begley clarified his earlier statement to have meant the Knicks will seek to have more veterinarians on the roster, not veterans.

Return to New York Knicks