ImageImageImageImageImage

Democratic Primary Thread: The Deuce

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,269

Re: Democratic Primary Thread: The Deuce 

Post#441 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:50 pm

j4remi wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
I understand what you're saying, but I should state it differently. Manchin typically throws bones to the red side of the aisle when he is not the deciding vote. That is basically his M.O.

What that means is he has often voted with the GOP during these past four years. He even voted for Kavanaugh, but he was not the margin of victory which was two votes. That's how close he'll shave it to feed the conservative factions of his base, but I still think he can be persuaded to vote with the Dems when he sits on the fulcrum and may be the deciding vote.

Plus, if November goes as is hoped then I expect that to produce a strong wind in the sails of the party to enact more progressive legislation. I think there will be an eruption between elections and the inauguration due to Trump chit stirring his base and abusing his office, but after that dies down I think lots of the MAGA types will crawl back under a rock. Not all of them, but that populist movement will be deflated rather quickly as so much of it is personality driven and only vaguely policy based outside of broad strokes like killing black people and putting kids in cages.

And my thesis is that as 2021 unfolds it will be safer and safer politically for the Manchins to side with the Democratic platform as the backlash occurs against the vast amount of corruption that will be exposed and prosecuted. The GOP is going to be so crippled for at least a while that it will help the Dems hold their majority of votes in line.

Context is important here imo because the order that this happened in matters . Schumer was trying to WHIP the entire Democratic party to put more pressure on the Republican moderates, we'd only need one in that case. But Manchin and a couple of others outright refused to acknowledge Schumer's leadership and Manchin said outright that Schumer could kiss his "you know what."

This wasn't "oh well they don't have the votes, so I'll just play to my constituents." It was Schumer saying "we need a united front to even have a chance to win this fight" and Manchin responding "kiss my ass."

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/13/schumer-supreme-court-fight-centrist-democrats-716654

Generally speaking, the votes that go against party line voting (in instances that it's for strategic reasons) are made in unison with leadership. The understanding is mutual. This was not the case here.

I hear you. That's why the remainder of my post was about the context of 2021 which will likely be very different and may affect how rightwards a guy like Manchin remains inclined to be.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#442 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:00 pm

GONYK wrote:

Kentucky looks like the biggest challenge. Moscow is polling way ahead of McGrath so his race is presumptively the least competitive one right now in any of the states they cited in the video.

That said, the path Trump continues to take and the continual backlash against him that keeps growing (Walls of Moms and Veterans, etc.) indicates the floor for the GOP in this election may still have not been found.

Without sounding like anything is a sure thing, there is still additional downside that can manifest for the GOP. If things stay as completely sour as they are now (likely) and any compounding epic political scandals happens (which seems kind of probable with the way Trump's corruption revelations, exposure by former associates and GOP defections are growing) then it could snowball into the best case scenario tsunami for the Dems. Don't know if that can flip Kentucky, but a girl can dream.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,640

Post#443 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:01 pm

Great to see Bernie busy in the Senate and leading the progressive charge. This bill seeks to cut off the fossil fuel industry from the $15 billion in federal subsidies it gets every year, including for COVID. I think they can afford it.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fossil-fuel-subsidies-bernie-sanders-ilhan-omar_n_5f1a0722c5b6128e68230ee9
Free Palestine
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#444 » by dakomish23 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:59 pm

Anyone else being bombarded with Pro President Trump ads on this site? :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#445 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:14 pm

dakomish23 wrote:Anyone else being bombarded with Pro President Trump ads on this site? :roll:

I can't load RealGM with the ads so I don't see them

Shame though for them to spend all that money and not have EarthManSurfer or Mugzi see them
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,401

Post#446 » by robillionaire » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:52 pm

dakomish23 wrote:Anyone else being bombarded with Pro President Trump ads on this site? :roll:

use adblockers
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#447 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:56 pm

Not here but on YouTube all the time. Thankfully I can skip after 5 seconds.
Free Palestine
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#448 » by dakomish23 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:54 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:

Not here but on YouTube all the time. Thankfully I can skip after 5 seconds.

I used to get a ton of Epoch Times ads

I take some joy in knowing that they spent money to show an ad to a person who knows they’re bull

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#449 » by dakomish23 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:55 am

robillionaire wrote:

use adblockers

On safari on the phone? I used to use Firefox Focus when it was out of control

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#450 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:46 am

They'll be no cracking down on the big Wall Street banks under a Biden administration according to Joe Biden.

https://sirota.substack.com/p/biden-just-made-a-big-promise-to

Biden Just Made A Big Promise To His Wall Street Donors
After being lauded for his task force policies, the Democratic nominee promised wealthy contributors that changing corporate behavior “is not going to require legislation — I’m not proposing any.”

Two weeks ago, Joe Biden rightly received praise for creating policy task forces that released a package of progressive legislative initiatives. The proposals augmented Biden’s previous legislative initiatives to change corporate behavior. The task forces were meant to unify the Democratic Party after the primary and their recommendations were blared all over the world in glowing headlines promising an era of progressive change under a Biden administration.

Then this past Monday, Biden told his Wall Street donors that actually, he is not proposing any new legislation to rein in corporate power or change corporate behavior — and this was reported exactly nowhere, even as his campaign blasted it out to the national press corps.

You don’t have to believe me, you can click here to read the full pool report that the Biden campaign distributed to the press after his teleconference fundraiser. That event was headlined by Jon Gray, a top executive at the Blackstone Group, which is a private equity behemoth at the center of the climate, health care, housing and pension crises. Blackstone executives had already donated $130,000 to the Biden campaign and $350,000 to a super PAC supporting him.

Here’s the relevant section, reviewing what Biden said:

Second question, again from Mr. Gray, who noted that there are “a bunch of business leaders” on the line. “What do you think is essential to get this economy rolling again?”

“I come from the corporate state of American, many of you incorporated here,” said Mr. Biden. “It used to be that corporate America had a sense of responsibility beyond just CEO salaries and shareholders.”

“Corporate America has to change its ways. It’s not going to require legislation. I’m not proposing any. We’ve got to think about how we deal people back in."

There’s an obvious contradiction here. Before making these comments, Biden had previously promised to pass legislative initiatives to change corporate behavior on everything from climate change to tax policy. He has an entire section of his website outlining promises to pass corporate accountability legislation. He has received praise for these kind of promises.

But now he’s telling his donors they can rest assured that legislation to change corporate behavior is not forthcoming. Indeed, read Biden’s comment again: “It’s not going to require legislation. I’m not proposing any.”

Now sure, you can try to write this off as just another gaffe — good ‘ol Joe being good ol’ Joe. But it is part of a pattern.

Biden had previously promised his wealthy donors that if he is elected “nothing would fundamentally change.” He insisted that we don’t need a political revolution in America because that might “disrupt everything.”

That was in the halcyon days before the coronavirus — so maybe you can try to write off all that rhetoric as pre-pandemic malarkey.

However, now we’re in the middle of multiple emergencies, when real change is so obviously and desperately needed and when lawmakers like Sens. Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren both have legislation already drafted that would start challenging corporate power.

And yet, at a time when private health insurance companies are making a jackpot off a pandemic and oil companies are creating a climate crisis that threatens the planet’s ecosystem, the presumptive Democratic nominee is doubling down, literally telling his donors that he is “not proposing any” legislation to change Corporate America.

It’s breathtaking.

I’ve said before and will say again for those who need to hear it again: I personally believe Donald Trump must be defeated because he is actively making so many terrible crises so much worse.

However, I agree with Princeton professor and MSNBC contributor Eddie Glaude Jr. who tweeted:

Read on Twitter

In his comment to donors yesterday, Biden did not just make a mockery of his own task forces and all their good work. He made clear that if he wins — and if progressives then pull a 2009 by once again standing down and deferring to the new Democratic president — then we should expect that indeed nothing will fundamentally change.

And if nothing fundamentally changes during the next Democratic administration, it’s a good bet that everything will fundamentally change for the worse in our economy, our society, our politics and our world.
Free Palestine
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#451 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:50 am

Read on Twitter
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#452 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:15 am

Read on Twitter

As the death count gains velocity and Fed agents pepper spray Moms, Trump goes golfing

And Brett Favre is still a dumb POS
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#453 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:13 am

Obama has lost his damn mind

Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Re: Democratic Primary Thread: The DeuceU 

Post#454 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:43 am

This is some impressive valor right here. Semper fi.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/wall-of-vets-portland-protests_n_5f1c7ba6c5b69fd4730d37f7

A group of military veterans showed up at protests outside the federal courthouse in Portland, Oregon, on Friday, saying they were there to support demonstrators.

“Our veterans are here specifically to support the rights of the protesters to protest,” Marine Corps veteran Duston Obermeyer told The New York Times.

Footage from The Oregonian showed most of the “Wall of Vets” members lined up ahead of the protests.
Free Palestine
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#455 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:10 pm

This is cool

LeBron James' voting rights group donating $100,000 to pay fines and fees so ex-felons can vote in Florida

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lebron-james-voting-rights-group-donating-100000-to-pay-fines-and-fees-so-ex-felons-can-vote-in-florida
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#456 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:14 pm

New Fox News poll our showing that Trump is increasing his deficit to Biden in key swing states :P

Free Palestine
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#457 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:36 pm

Biden has increased his poll lead in Arizona to 5 points

Arsonists burned down the Democrat's Arizona headquarters

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#458 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:48 pm

Spoiler:
Trump rips Joe Biden for calling Arizona ‘an important city’

https://nypost.com/2020/07/26/trump-rips-joe-biden-for-calling-arizona-an-important-city/
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#459 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:01 pm

Some establishment Democrats are concerned about the recent polling in key swing states.

From Vox.com

https://www.vox.com/2020/7/27/21324440/state-polls-trump-michigan-wisconsin-pennsylvania

I don’t trust polling,” Michigan Rep. Debbie Dingell recently told the Atlantic. “I don’t believe that Biden is 16 points up in Michigan; that’s a bull poll, and it’s the same people who said Hillary [Clinton] had it in the bag.”

Dingell is among the Democrats traumatized by polling missteps last cycle, which led surveys to overlook the strength of Trump’s support in key battleground states including Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania — three states Clinton was counting on to win the election. In a late-October survey of Wisconsin, for example, the Marquette Law School poll had Clinton up by 6 percentage points, while Trump ultimately won the state by 0.7 points.

After the election, pollsters conducted an autopsy of why there was such a disconnect between state polls and the final electoral outcomes (though perhaps less so than some Democrats believe).

The review, led by the American Association for Public Opinion Research (AAPOR), identified multiple factors: For one, some pollsters failed to weight for education — so more educated individuals who favored Hillary Clinton were overrepresented in samples and skewing the results. For another, many surveys missed the wave of undecided voters who may have broken for Trump at the last minute.

-more-

Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,933

Post#460 » by Stannis » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:06 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Some establishment Democrats are concerned about the recent polling in key swing states.

From Vox.com

https://www.vox.com/2020/7/27/21324440/state-polls-trump-michigan-wisconsin-pennsylvania

I don’t trust polling,” Michigan Rep. Debbie Dingell recently told the Atlantic. “I don’t believe that Biden is 16 points up in Michigan; that’s a bull poll, and it’s the same people who said Hillary [Clinton] had it in the bag.”

Dingell is among the Democrats traumatized by polling missteps last cycle, which led surveys to overlook the strength of Trump’s support in key battleground states including Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania — three states Clinton was counting on to win the election. In a late-October survey of Wisconsin, for example, the Marquette Law School poll had Clinton up by 6 percentage points, while Trump ultimately won the state by 0.7 points.

After the election, pollsters conducted an autopsy of why there was such a disconnect between state polls and the final electoral outcomes (though perhaps less so than some Democrats believe).

The review, led by the American Association for Public Opinion Research (AAPOR), identified multiple factors: For one, some pollsters failed to weight for education — so more educated individuals who favored Hillary Clinton were overrepresented in samples and skewing the results. For another, many surveys missed the wave of undecided voters who may have broken for Trump at the last minute.

-more-

That's the attitude everyone should have if they want Biden to win.

These polling numbers are straight up ridiculous and I'm not sure who is believing them.
Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks