ImageImageImageImageImage

Democratic Primary Thread: The Deuce

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,206

Re: Democratic Primary Thread: The Deuce 

Post#561 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:32 pm

Biden's VP appears to be down to Karen Bass and Susan Rice. (Interesting, both women have two syllable first names and one syllable last names.) Anyhow, I'm rooting for Bass as her chops seem much more suited for the job and because she will attract progressive voters. We don't need a foreign policy person in the WH. At least it won't be Kamala or Demings.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/31/us/politics/joseph-biden-vice-president.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

On Rice

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/07/29/election-2020-biden-susan-rice-running-mate/

Rice, 55, possesses enormous advantages: A former U.N. ambassador as well as senior advisor to Obama, the Stanford University-educated former Rhodes scholar is by all accounts brilliant and deeply experienced in foreign policy to a degree few other candidates for the job are. And at a moment when the Black Lives Matter movement and calls for social justice have gripped the nation in the aftermath of George Floyd’s killing in May, Rice may rank high on Biden’s list of possibilities because she is one of the most accomplished and prominent African Americans in the Democratic Party. Rice also has had a long and close relationship with Biden, who values loyalty. This stands in stark contrast to California Sen. Kamala Harris, another leading candidate, who fiercely attacked the former vice president during the Democratic primaries on the issue of racial segregation; on Tuesday Biden was photographed holding a handwritten series of talking points about Harris that began with: “Do not hold grudges.”

But Rice also brings a lot of potential baggage, from her role in the 2012 Benghazi tragedy to a personality described by many as abrasive, a lack of political experience, and a shaky track record while helming the National Security Council (NSC).

Republicans are already threatening to revisit the ghosts of Benghazi, the Libyan city where U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three other Americans were killed on Sept. 11, 2012, leading to one of Rice’s worst moments in public life and years of Republican attacks. But Rice’s performance in public office has occasionally raised other issues about her suitability to be vice president that have nothing to do with Benghazi. During her time as both U.N. ambassador and national security advisor, her judgment, political experience, and temperament were sometimes called into question—even by some within her own party.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,274

Post#562 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:28 pm

Read on Twitter
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#563 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:30 pm

Read on Twitter
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,885

Post#564 » by GONYK » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:27 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Biden's VP appears to be down to Karen Bass and Susan Rice. (Interesting, both women have two syllable first names and one syllable last names.) Anyhow, I'm rooting for Bass as her chops seem much more suited for the job and because she will attract progressive voters. We don't need a foreign policy person in the WH. At least it won't be Kamala or Demings.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/31/us/politics/joseph-biden-vice-president.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

On Rice

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/07/29/election-2020-biden-susan-rice-running-mate/

Rice, 55, possesses enormous advantages: A former U.N. ambassador as well as senior advisor to Obama, the Stanford University-educated former Rhodes scholar is by all accounts brilliant and deeply experienced in foreign policy to a degree few other candidates for the job are. And at a moment when the Black Lives Matter movement and calls for social justice have gripped the nation in the aftermath of George Floyd’s killing in May, Rice may rank high on Biden’s list of possibilities because she is one of the most accomplished and prominent African Americans in the Democratic Party. Rice also has had a long and close relationship with Biden, who values loyalty. This stands in stark contrast to California Sen. Kamala Harris, another leading candidate, who fiercely attacked the former vice president during the Democratic primaries on the issue of racial segregation; on Tuesday Biden was photographed holding a handwritten series of talking points about Harris that began with: “Do not hold grudges.”

But Rice also brings a lot of potential baggage, from her role in the 2012 Benghazi tragedy to a personality described by many as abrasive, a lack of political experience, and a shaky track record while helming the National Security Council (NSC).

Republicans are already threatening to revisit the ghosts of Benghazi, the Libyan city where U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three other Americans were killed on Sept. 11, 2012, leading to one of Rice’s worst moments in public life and years of Republican attacks. But Rice’s performance in public office has occasionally raised other issues about her suitability to be vice president that have nothing to do with Benghazi. During her time as both U.N. ambassador and national security advisor, her judgment, political experience, and temperament were sometimes called into question—even by some within her own party.

This is like when you declared Thibs being out and the Knicks coaching search being down to Miller and Kidd

The article never says it's down to those two and Harris and Demings are out
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#565 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:29 am

GONYK wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Biden's VP appears to be down to Karen Bass and Susan Rice. (Interesting, both women have two syllable first names and one syllable last names.) Anyhow, I'm rooting for Bass as her chops seem much more suited for the job and because she will attract progressive voters. We don't need a foreign policy person in the WH. At least it won't be Kamala or Demings.

On Rice

This is like when you declared Thibs being out and the Knicks coaching search being down to Miller and Kidd

Seriously? Picky, picky, picky, aren't we? Did you even bother to read the article? It said that Bass and Rice are now the two leading candidates. What more do you want? Do you need me to tell you to use your common sense too? Are you really pushing for former prosecutors to selected in this day? That would be pretty tone deaf, even for Biden. But, who knows? Maybe he is. :lol:

And, no, it's not like when "I declared" it was down to Miller and Kidd. I didn't declare anything. I merely was re-reporting what I had learned from the NY Post, I believe.

Damn, man, you must be a joy to live with. Is this how you are in real life too? :rofl:

EDIT: Never mind. Just fck it all of it. I don't care. I'll just grab some popcorn and watch from the stands.

POSTING POLICIES:
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#566 » by GONYK » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:00 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
GONYK wrote:

On Rice

Seriously? Picky, picky, picky, aren't we? Did you even bother to read the article? It said that Bass and Rice are now the two leading candidates. What more do you want? Do you need me to tell you to use your common sense too? Are you really pushing for former prosecutors to selected in this day? That would be pretty tone deaf, even for Biden. But, who knows? Maybe he is. :lol:

So sensitive, Wingo. I know you have thicker skin than this.

I did read the article. Did you?

It says this:
Two prominent Democrats, Senators Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Kamala Harris of California, along with a handful of other women, remain as possibilities;

That is a very far cry from saying they are out.

In fact, the NYT has an article, linked in the article you posted. Here's the headline:
Kamala Harris, a top vice-presidential contender, confronts double standards.

I'm just saying, you said something that the article didn't say. What if Harris is the Thibs in this situation?

And, no, it's not like when "I declared" it was down to Miller and Kidd. I didn't declare anything. I merely was re-reporting what I had learned from the NY Post, I believe.

Your honor, I present exhibit A:

Here is what you said:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Mike Miller is still in it. It’s between Kidd and Miller

https://nypost.com/2020/07/24/jason-kidd-looms-over-knicks-talks-with-tom-thibodeau/

Here is what the article said:
The Knicks’ first choice for their next head coach is landing Tom Thibodeau, and the two sides have already discussed contract parameters, according to a source. However, no agreement has been reached, and if it doesn’t pan out, it could open the door for Jason Kidd.

So once again, you said something the article didn't. I'm just saying be careful.

Damn, man, you must be a joy to live with. Is this how you are in real life too? :rofl:

Not only am I an absolute delight to live with, I am a major hit at parties, and I have single-handedly saved at least 2 weddings with my wit, charm, and scintillating dance moves.

And I know you love me too, we're just going through a rough patch because I keep you honest. That's what true friends do man. :lol:
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#567 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:07 am

GONYK wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
GONYK wrote:This is like when you declared Thibs being out and the Knicks coaching search being down to Miller and Kidd

It says this:
Two prominent Democrats, Senators Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Kamala Harris of California, along with a handful of other women, remain as possibilities;

In fact, the NYT has an article, linked in the article you posted. Here's the headline:

I'm just saying, you said something that the article didn't say. What if Harris is the Thibs in this situation?

Here is what you said:

https://nypost.com/2020/07/24/jason-kidd-looms-over-knicks-talks-with-tom-thibodeau/

The Knicks’ first choice for their next head coach is landing Tom Thibodeau, and the two sides have already discussed contract parameters, according to a source. However, no agreement has been reached, and if it doesn’t pan out, it could open the door for Jason Kidd.

So once again, you said something the article didn't. I'm just saying be careful.

Not only am I an absolute delight to live with, I am a major hit at parties, and I have single-handedly saved at least 2 weddings with my wit, charm, and scintillating dance moves.

And I know you love me too, we're just going through a rough patch because I keep you honest. That's what true friends do man. :lol:

Not to mention you cook a mean chili and are kind to small animals.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,641

Post#568 » by Pointgod » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:53 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is **** gross. Absolutely hope everyone of these pieces of **** are prosecuted and burn in hell. I know people like Wingo claim they won’t vote because they’re in a safe state, but how could you not show up to vote against a monster like Trump, even if it’s symbolic. You going to tell your children and grand children that when it came time to save the country you sat out? These are your fellow citizens and people like you that they’re willing to let die!
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#569 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:41 am

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
Read on Twitter

These guys are great
They hurt his widdle feelings lol
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,169

Post#570 » by aq_ua » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:07 am

j4remi wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:love the idea of reframing these "spending" conversations into "investments." Doesn't take much political genius to do it too.

I also like "reimagine" when it comes to conversations around "defunding the police." Instead of saying that or abolish, say "reimagine police" or "reimagine the community" - something along those lines where the conversation is around a reinvestment into the community.

My instincts want me to abolish Homeland Security & ICE (though I think you have to keep some of the post/9-11 security features as going back to a privatized security model is just something no one would ever stomach). "Reimagine ICE" doesn't work.... maybe "reimagine immigration.... something better than ICE.

:lol: Yeah definitely something better for ICE. But I'm with you on the sentiment here. We can't run away from these issues because they're difficult; but we can challenge the framing to make the conversations more accessible. I think the Dems let Republicans control the framing on issues way too often, too much defense where it's not necessary.

This is yet another area where MMT or at least the influence of MMT might have a dramatic effect on policy.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-fed/feds-kashkari-suggests-4-6-week-shutdown-says-u-s-congress-can-spend-big-on-coronavirus-relief-idUSKBN24Y0IM

The U.S. economy could benefit if the nation were to “lock down really hard” for four to six weeks, a top Federal Reserve official said on Sunday, adding that Congress can well afford large sums for coronavirus relief efforts.

The economy, which in the second quarter suffered its biggest blow since the Great Depression, would be able to mount a robust recovery, but only if the virus were brought under control, Neel Kashkari, president of the Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank, told CBS’ “Face the Nation.”

“If we don’t do that and we just have this raging virus spreading throughout the country with flare-ups and local lockdowns for the next year or two, which is entirely possible, we’re going to see many, many more business bankruptcies,” Kashkari said.

“That’s going to be a much slower recovery for all of us.”

In an interview with ABC’s “This Week” on Sunday, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said President Donald Trump would spend what was needed, but that the deficit was a factor.

“There’s obviously a need to support workers and support the economy,” he said. “On the other hand, we have to be careful about not piling on enormous amount of debts for future generations.”

Depending on your fear level of the national debt, it could mean two very different outcomes in terms of controlling the pandemic and speeding up any recovery. National debt strikes me as a silly thing to be worried about in the middle of the greatest economic threat in a century, but here we are.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#571 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Aug 3, 2020 3:09 am

aq_ua wrote:
j4remi wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:love the idea of reframing these "spending" conversations into "investments." Doesn't take much political genius to do it too.

I also like "reimagine" when it comes to conversations around "defunding the police." Instead of saying that or abolish, say "reimagine police" or "reimagine the community" - something along those lines where the conversation is around a reinvestment into the community.

My instincts want me to abolish Homeland Security & ICE (though I think you have to keep some of the post/9-11 security features as going back to a privatized security model is just something no one would ever stomach). "Reimagine ICE" doesn't work.... maybe "reimagine immigration.... something better than ICE.

:lol: Yeah definitely something better for ICE. But I'm with you on the sentiment here. We can't run away from these issues because they're difficult; but we can challenge the framing to make the conversations more accessible. I think the Dems let Republicans control the framing on issues way too often, too much defense where it's not necessary.

This is yet another area where MMT or at least the influence of MMT might have a dramatic effect on policy.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-fed/feds-kashkari-suggests-4-6-week-shutdown-says-u-s-congress-can-spend-big-on-coronavirus-relief-idUSKBN24Y0IM

The U.S. economy could benefit if the nation were to “lock down really hard” for four to six weeks, a top Federal Reserve official said on Sunday, adding that Congress can well afford large sums for coronavirus relief efforts.

The economy, which in the second quarter suffered its biggest blow since the Great Depression, would be able to mount a robust recovery, but only if the virus were brought under control, Neel Kashkari, president of the Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank, told CBS’ “Face the Nation.”

“If we don’t do that and we just have this raging virus spreading throughout the country with flare-ups and local lockdowns for the next year or two, which is entirely possible, we’re going to see many, many more business bankruptcies,” Kashkari said.

In an interview with ABC’s “This Week” on Sunday, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said President Donald Trump would spend what was needed, but that the deficit was a factor.

“There’s obviously a need to support workers and support the economy,” he said. “On the other hand, we have to be careful about not piling on enormous amount of debts for future generations.”

Depending on your fear level of the national debt, it could mean two very different outcomes in terms of controlling the pandemic and speeding up any recovery. National debt strikes me as a silly thing to be worried about in the middle of the greatest economic threat in a century, but here we are.

Deficit spending would likely work wonders if married to an actual plan to New Zealand the virus.

But it is difficult when the following three factors rule the outcome:

1) Trump
2) Selfish Americans unwilling to comply with public safety precautions
3) Corruption

Per # 3, it is coming out now that a share of the relief aid that was supposed to target small American businesses not only went to cash rich corporations and Trump benefactors, but also to companies owned or co-owned by Chinese nationals.

"According to a review of publicly available loan data by strategy consulting firm Horizon Advisory, $192 million to $419 million has gone to more than 125 companies that Chinese entities own or invest in. Many of the loans were quite sizable; at least 32 Chinese companies received loans worth more than $1 million, with those totaling as much as $180 million."

I do hope things hold together until 2021 when federal spending could be done with actual intent to help those in need.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,025

Post#572 » by moocow007 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 3:37 am

They should put me and Wingo in charge of the country.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#573 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Aug 3, 2020 3:40 am

Read on Twitter

Putting a face to one of the main images of resistance thus far
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#574 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Aug 3, 2020 4:39 am

moocow007 wrote:They should put me and Wingo in charge of the country.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

If you grow the Mike Piazza Fu Manchu stache again that will ensure we get the women's vote.
POSTING POLICIES:
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,169

Post#575 » by aq_ua » Mon Aug 3, 2020 7:10 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
aq_ua wrote:
j4remi wrote:

Deficit spending would likely work wonders if married to an actual plan to New Zealand the virus.

But it is difficult when the following three factors rule the outcome:

1) Trump
2) Selfish Americans unwilling to comply with public safety precautions
3) Corruption

Per # 3, it is coming out now that a share of the relief aid that was supposed to target small American businesses not only went to cash rich corporations and Trump benefactors, but also to companies owned or co-owned by Chinese nationals.

"According to a review of publicly available loan data by strategy consulting firm Horizon Advisory, $192 million to $419 million has gone to more than 125 companies that Chinese entities own or invest in. Many of the loans were quite sizable; at least 32 Chinese companies received loans worth more than $1 million, with those totaling as much as $180 million."

I do hope things hold together until 2021 when federal spending could be done with actual intent to help those in need.

I do agree there is no universe where there is perfect dispersion of spending where there are no excesses nor wastes, and that holds true regardless of who is in control. What is critical right now is that the only way to slow this virus down is to shut down some if not most business for a while, and therefore also critical to take away the weak excuses not to do it.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#576 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Aug 3, 2020 6:29 pm

Let the corporate giveaways continue.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/live-blog/2020-04-08-coronavirus-news-n1178891/ncrd1179661#blogHeader

Biden calls for feds to cover COBRA payments amid pandemic

Speaking at a virtual town hall on Wednesday, apparent Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden said the federal government needs to step up its game to people who've been forced out of work because of the coronavirus crisis.

"We're going to have to do more," Biden said, saying future spending bills should include expanded unemployment payments and subsidies for Obamacare to make sure people can afford their health care. "The same goes for COBRA," Biden said. "The government should pick up the full cost of COBRA premiums right now."
POSTING POLICIES:
Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 7,166

Post#577 » by Knick4Real » Mon Aug 3, 2020 7:49 pm

GONYK wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
GONYK wrote:This is like when you declared Thibs being out and the Knicks coaching search being down to Miller and Kidd

It says this:

Here is what you said:

:D
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#578 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Aug 4, 2020 12:59 am

GONYK wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

It says this:

Here is what you said:

That’s great that you think you’re so wonderful. No flaws? Like not knowing when just let it go?

I found a pic from one of your parties

POSTING POLICIES:
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#579 » by GONYK » Tue Aug 4, 2020 1:36 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
GONYK wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Seriously? Picky, picky, picky, aren't we? Did you even bother to read the article? It said that Bass and Rice are now the two leading candidates. What more do you want? Do you need me to tell you to use your common sense too? Are you really pushing for former prosecutors to selected in this day? That would be pretty tone deaf, even for Biden. But, who knows? Maybe he is.

It says this:

And I know you love me too, we're just going through a rough patch because I keep you honest. That's what true friends do man.

Thanks for letting all know how wonderful you are to hang out with. What else are you good at? Tell us more. Are you also a stable genius? lol

Here are the themes of my last 5 parties:

Person, woman, man, camera, TV
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#580 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Aug 4, 2020 2:57 am

GONYK wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
GONYK wrote:

It says this:

And I know you love me too, we're just going through a rough patch because I keep you honest. That's what true friends do man.

Thanks for letting all know how wonderful you are to hang out with. What else are you good at? Tell us more. Are you also a stable genius? lol

Here are the themes of my last 5 parties:

Person, woman, man, camera, TV

Ok. You win. That does sound pretty damn cool. When is the next one? Can I bring you anything down from NY?

One question though, did you ever save anyone’s life?

Edit: and you did have my back on more than a couple of occasions. Fck you! :D
POSTING POLICIES:

Return to New York Knicks