ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj: Knicks Hire Thibs - Official PG 64 - Woodson expected to join pg 66

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,222

Re: Woj: Knicks Hire Thibs - Official PG 64 - Woodson expected to join pg 66 

Post#1661 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Aug 3, 2020 3:02 am

moocow007 wrote:Isiah Thomas - wasn't a skilled front office exec but thought he was

Phil Jackson - wasn't a skilled front office exec but thought he was

Steve Mills - wasn't a skilled front office exec but thought he was

Leon Rose - isn't a skilled front office exec, apparently accepted he isn't and hired a whole slew of front office personnel from top organizations to help him

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

90% of superior management is hiring subject domain experts so you are no longer the smartest person in the room and you get TF out of their way. Then you only make key decisions after they have given their input on the right choice to make. Rose is showing signs he comprehends this.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#1662 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Aug 3, 2020 12:25 pm

smw6230 wrote:
NewYorkPride85 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Knicks gonna Knick, with Houston being the rat feeding Dolan info. Watch your back Thibs.

The whole part about Houston being a spy for Dolan really doesn't bother me that much considering how Dolan let Leon use the scorched earth policy and getting rid of almost everyone and bringing in best possible person he can hire. The thing that really gets me is the whole Perry thing. I really thought highly of him when he came in but this whole mess with player development just adds more questions than answers.

I'll say this, Rose is a lot shrewder player than many here give him credit for.

If, the Houston scenario is true, Rose handled it perfectly. By giving an "influencer" limited power and actual responsibility, you also open them up avenues of criticism toward them that were previously closed because of the private nature of their communication.

Leon's given Allen some skin in the game now, and in order to justify his position (and influence) Houston must produce results for Rose or his influence diminishes and he becomes an organizational liability.

Damn bruh, that's some game of thrones level strategy going on there. Who's getting stabbed in the back first?
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,990

Post#1663 » by stuporman » Mon Aug 3, 2020 4:20 pm

moocow007 wrote:Isiah Thomas - wasn't a skilled front office exec but thought he was

Leon Rose - isn't a skilled front office exec, apparently accepted he isn't and hired a whole slew of front office personnel from top organizations to help him

Isn't this his first front office gig? I thought it was so do we know if he is skilled or not at this point?

Also if he's hiring the skilled people to build the team successfully wouldn't that him being a skilled exec?

I guess time will tell. :lol:
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,365

Post#1664 » by Zenzibar » Mon Aug 3, 2020 6:10 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:NY Knicks: Kobe Bryant texted Tom Thibodeau days before fatal crash

by Jeffrey Bellone 5 minutes ago

Kobe Bryant's Lakers jerseys are displayed during the Kobe Bryant's Lakers jerseys are displayed during the "Celebration of Life for Kobe and Gianna Bryant" service at Staples Center in Downtown Los Angeles on February 24, 2020. - Kobe Bryant, 41, and 13-year-old Gianna were among nine people killed in a helicopter crash in the rugged hills west of Los Angeles on January 26. (Photo by Frederic J. BROWN / AFP) (Photo by FREDERIC J. BROWN/AFP via Getty Images)
Tom Thibodeau discussed his last conversation with the late Kobe Bryant.

New York Knicks head coach Tom Thibodeau exchanged text messages with the late Kobe Bryant only days before Bryant’s fatal helicopter accident. Kobe was seeking advice on coaching his daughter’s basketball team and was hoping to meet up with the NBA coach on his next visit to Los Angeles.

In a Q&A with the New York Post, Thibodeau recalled his last conversation with the NBA legend.

“The irony is probably about a week before, 10 days before [the helicopter crash], he had texted me, we were talking about the team he was coaching with his daughter’s team,” Thibodeau told the New York Post. “I had been going out to L.A. quite a bit to spend time with Doc [Rivers], and he asked me when I was coming out again, we were gonna get together. Really sad.”
While working as an assistant coach for the Philadelphia 76ers, Thibodeau fostered a relationship with a high-school-aged Bryant, working on his game at a nearby Saint Joseph’s gym.

In an interview from 2010, Kobe talked about how “crucial” Thibodeau was in helping him out as a young basketball player.

“He was crucial,” Bryant said via ESPN. “He was with me when I was 16 or 17 years old. Just doing drills and just working on ball-handling and just teaching me the game. He was there from Day 1.”
When you think of Kobe’s famous work ethic, it only makes sense that he would have gotten along with Coach Thibs, who is known to burn the midnight oil in preparing for opponents.

Thibodeau was introduced as the 31st coach in New York Knicks history this week. He reportedly signed a five-year contract worth over $20 million.
Guys that have killer mentalities and that wants to do whatever it takes to win will do well with Thibs. Those that don't probably won't. Thats a natural weeding out process that fans of any team should be happy about.

Exactly!

That's why noone should place any weight whatsoever on the Thibs wears out players rep.
As you eloquently stated, those that have the Mamba mentality resonate with Thibs own. Those that don't bytch and moan.
A pure Pat Riley, JVG disciple. NBA be weary we're coming for as many shrunken heads as possible.
Stop All Genocides
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#1665 » by blanko » Tue Aug 4, 2020 11:24 am

Its simple, tibs couldn't win because towns is a looser and so is wiggins. They lost before tibs, they won with tibs, and they are loosing after tibs.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,336

Post#1666 » by rajajackal » Tue Aug 4, 2020 11:35 am

stuporman wrote:

Isn't this his first front office gig? I thought it was so do we know if he is skilled or not at this point?

Also if he's hiring the skilled people to build the team successfully wouldn't that him being a skilled exec?

i think he means skilled as in experienced. none of these guys came into the position with prior experience running a basketball FO. leon's at least approaching it with awareness that that's the case
Infinitimind
Senior
And1: 398

Post#1667 » by Infinitimind » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:18 pm

blanko wrote:Its simple, tibs couldn't win because towns is a looser and so is wiggins. They lost before tibs, they won with tibs, and they are loosing after tibs.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk

He did win, that wasn’t the issues. They were top 3 before bulter got hurt in the west. He just hard old school coach, this new era kids are to fragile for that. That why they want to mix some young assistants to help the transition
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,279

Post#1668 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:47 pm

stuporman wrote:

Well, always - time will tell.

Rose might not be specifically skilled as BASKETBALL Exec, or from the operations side, but he can be generally skilled as an exec, in that he'll hire the smart people to do it and heed their advice.

It's an interesting hire. Has the hallmarks of a "Dolan Special" starph*cking the big name, or getting the "Agent turned GM" understanding wrong, but on the other hand, Rose is a smart successful guy who seems to have hired good people so far.
stuporman
RealGM

Post#1669 » by stuporman » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:52 pm

rajajackal wrote:
stuporman wrote:

i think he means skilled as in experienced. none of these guys came into the position with prior experience running a basketball FO. leon's at least approaching it with awareness that that's the case

Moo has been around a long time and is pretty smart, he's familiar with the word experienced so if that was meant I suspect it would have been used.
Image?
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#1670 » by Nazrmohamed » Tue Aug 4, 2020 6:09 pm

stuporman wrote:

I guess the word he meant was inexperienced. He could end up very skilled but you need experience to prove it. Im excited.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#1671 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Aug 4, 2020 6:22 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
stuporman wrote:

Rose might not be specifically skilled as BASKETBALL Exec, or from the operations side, but he can be generally skilled as an exec, in that he'll hire the smart people to do it and heed their advice.

It's an interesting hire. Has the hallmarks of a "Dolan Special" starph*cking the big name, or getting the "Agent turned GM" understanding wrong, but on the other hand, Rose is a smart successful guy who seems to have hired good people so far.

I also project Rose as an above average dealmaker. He appears to understand negotiation psychology, some of which should translate from his time as an agent. I don't expect him to get fleeced on deals as long as Dolan keeps his Bargnani-sized dick out of Rose's pie hole.
stuporman
RealGM

Post#1672 » by stuporman » Tue Aug 4, 2020 7:53 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
stuporman wrote:

I don't know enough about Rose to say which way or the other about him but it's possible he identifies the best people to do the job and listens to them. If his thing is more about relationships and delegates things to other people he trusts then that's his method we'll see if he's any good at it.
Image?
stuporman
RealGM

Post#1673 » by stuporman » Tue Aug 4, 2020 7:58 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
stuporman wrote:

I guess the word he meant was inexperienced. He could end up very skilled but you need experience to prove it. Im excited.

What is it with people trying to tell people what others meant? Moo is grown and can speak for themselves. We'll see about Rose.
Image?
rajajackal
Lead Assistant

Post#1674 » by rajajackal » Tue Aug 4, 2020 8:30 pm

stuporman wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
stuporman wrote:

What is it with people trying to tell people what others meant? Moo is grown and can speak for themselves. We'll see about Rose.

this is not about speaking for moo. it's compensating for a lack of understanding on your part. "skilled" can very easily be interpreted this way, and i was clarifying that for you.
stuporman
RealGM

Post#1675 » by stuporman » Tue Aug 4, 2020 11:09 pm

rajajackal wrote:
stuporman wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

this is not about speaking for moo. it's compensating for a lack of understanding on your part. "skilled" can very easily be interpreted this way, and i was clarifying that for you.

You are compensating alright but it's for your own shortcomings...experienced doesn't equate to skilled and Mills quite ironically proves this distinction masterfully.
Image?
rajajackal
Lead Assistant

Post#1676 » by rajajackal » Wed Aug 5, 2020 12:45 pm

stuporman wrote:
rajajackal wrote:
stuporman wrote:

You are compensating alright but it's for your own shortcomings...experienced doesn't equate to skilled and Mills quite ironically proves this distinction masterfully.

lol okay. can't imagine what potential there is for "shortcomings" in either of my two brief statements, but if this is an ego thing for you i understand you won't back down to reason

also, Mills had no basketball-executive experience aside from being hired by the Knicks either. so yeah, in reading comprehension, context clues are very helpful
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,110

Post#1677 » by moocow007 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 9:50 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:

90% of superior management is hiring subject domain experts so you are no longer the smartest person in the room and you get TF out of their way. Then you only make key decisions after they have given their input on the right choice to make. Rose is showing signs he comprehends this.

Yep agreed. That's why I'm not feeling as sour and miserable as I normally would in a Knicks offseason.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#1678 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Aug 5, 2020 9:53 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Yep agreed. That's why I'm not feeling as sour and miserable as I normally would in a Knicks offseason.

Yes, and these dietary improvements you've made during lockdown help keep up the spirits

Spoiler:
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,110

Post#1679 » by moocow007 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 11:08 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Yes, and these dietary improvements you've made during lockdown help keep up the spirits

Spoiler:

:lol:

This is what's happened to me during lockdown.

Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#1680 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Aug 5, 2020 11:27 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Spoiler:

:lol:

This is what's happened to me during lockdown.

You were great in The Big Lebowski

Return to New York Knicks