ImageImageImageImageImage

POLL: Will Thibs Play Frank A Lot?

Moderators: King of Canada, GONYK, K-DOT, Deeeez Knicks, Capn'O, Thugger HBC, j4remi, Jeff Van Gully, mrpoetryNmotion, mpharris36, NoLayupRule

Will Thibs Play Frank A Lot?

Yes, because Frank is a defensive stud
40
33%
Yes, Thibs will do anything to get under Shammgod's skin
12
10%
No, because six points a game does not count as a triple double
8
7%
He'll come off the bench as a defensive specialist
19
16%
If Frank finds his 3 point shot, he'll be a starter in the backcourt
20
17%
Oh FFS! Stop talking about him you bizarre FrankenFrooter weirdo cult people!
9
8%
Frank will be sent to the Siberia to get more reps
12
10%
 
Total votes: 120

User avatar
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
Posts: 30,523
And1: 6,789
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
     

Re: POLL: Will Thibs Play Frank A Lot? 

Post#41 » by br7knicks » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:25 pm

My only concern is that Frank didn't consistently show enough interest and passion in playing. I don't need a Ron artest, as I'm a huge Battier fan.

But a team like the spurs, with a good coach and good system, would get so much out of Frank.

My hope is that because thibs is defensive, he's the most likely candidate to get the most out of him, as a coach, who was available for the Knicks.

But I've been fooled by the Knicks for almost 20 years, and they've given me no reason to have hope this time around. Small moves are a start, but it's not enough for me to have blinding faith yet
Rest in Peace, magnumt. 2019
User avatar
BadNewsBarnes
Analyst
Posts: 3,643
And1: 1,622
Joined: Feb 03, 2012
       

Re: POLL: Will Thibs Play Frank A Lot? 

Post#42 » by BadNewsBarnes » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:51 pm

I don't see Frank on the Knick roster. For that matter, I don't see Dotson or DSJ either. Thibs will go with more established players.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
B8RcDeMktfxC
Analyst
Posts: 3,351
And1: 1,659
Joined: Nov 23, 2018
Location: C'MON, COME GET THE FUKKIN BALL

Re: POLL: Will Thibs Play Frank A Lot? 

Post#43 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:43 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:Frank will be used at 40m/g until his groin breaks down again.


so, 5 erratic games?

:D
User avatar
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
Posts: 25,545
And1: 10,270
Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Location: New York City the best city in the world
     

Re: POLL: Will Thibs Play Frank A Lot? 

Post#44 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:00 pm

Capn'O wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter


should this go here :dontknow:


One clear takeaway is we gotta bring Portis back.


Shows how bad this team really was.
A new era or error?
User avatar
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
Posts: 25,545
And1: 10,270
Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Location: New York City the best city in the world
     

Re: POLL: Will Thibs Play Frank A Lot? 

Post#45 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:01 pm

Capn'O wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter


should this go here :dontknow:


One clear takeaway is we gotta bring Portis back.


Shows how bad this team really was. Very surprising Knox made two combos as well.
A new era or error?
User avatar
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
Posts: 25,545
And1: 10,270
Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Location: New York City the best city in the world
     

Re: POLL: Will Thibs Play Frank A Lot? 

Post#46 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:05 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
i would rather have Portis than Randle


BP's per 36 numbers are kinda crazy. i agree that on offense he was probably the best option at 4 last year.

i want randle to reach his potential. i AM curious to see what he would do under thibs.


I just don't see the fit with Mitch. So that or any center that can shoot. I guess you could put randle as the backup 5 and he would be productive off the bench but one would he accept that role and two would Thibs want Randle at the 5 for defensive purposes?


I would like a better defender than Portis but offensively they fit. Portis and Mitch that is. Maybe I misunderstood what you wrote? I don’t care about Randle lol.
A new era or error?
User avatar
god shammgod
Knicks Forum Crazy Board Uncle
Posts: 101,301
And1: 62,577
Joined: Feb 18, 2006
Location: Never Too Early to Tank

Re: POLL: Will Thibs Play Frank A Lot? 

Post#47 » by god shammgod » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:13 pm

bobby portis has to go. i don't care what stat you pull out.
Image
User avatar
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 31,894
And1: 17,755
Joined: Nov 12, 2004
Location: Bar stool

Re: POLL: Will Thibs Play Frank A Lot? 

Post#48 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:27 pm

Portis can go, but seems likely Taj will be back. I am good with that assuming Mitch will start and Taj will have a limited role.
Mavs
C: Jokic | Grant Williams
F: Giannis | Kurucs
F: Mikal Bridges | Okpala
G: Jrue Holiday | Danuel House
G: Derrick White |
Stash
Didi
Milos
B8RcDeMktfxC
Analyst
Posts: 3,351
And1: 1,659
Joined: Nov 23, 2018
Location: C'MON, COME GET THE FUKKIN BALL

Re: POLL: Will Thibs Play Frank A Lot? 

Post#49 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:06 pm

Battling Frank threads. nom nom.
User avatar
Chanel Bomber
Analyst
Posts: 3,384
And1: 4,674
Joined: Sep 20, 2018
 

Re: POLL: Will Thibs Play Frank A Lot? 

Post#50 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:46 pm

Thibs needs to play Frank as a 2 full-time and focus on developing his 3-point shot. At the 2, his ball-handling skills become an asset rather than a liability (or rather just plain mediocrity) when he plays the point, and his lack of assertiveness isn't as much of an issue.

I truly believe the Knicks and Knicks fans alike have put Frank in a position to fail by expecting him to be a point guard.

Let Frank be a two-guard. Then he "only" has to develop his 3-point shot and learn how to cut to become a valuable all-around player. But his career will definitely go into a tailspin and he will head back to Europe sooner than later if we ask too much of him.
User avatar
Capn'O
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 56,042
And1: 46,059
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Location: There were giants in those days
 

Re: POLL: Will Thibs Play Frank A Lot? 

Post#51 » by Capn'O » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:03 am

god shammgod wrote:bobby portis has to go. i don't care what stat you pull out.


:lol: :lol: I probably deserve a timeout for that one
BAF Clippers
Kyrie SGA CoJo Ferguson Lee THT
Middleton KCP DFS Juancho Green
Nurkic Holmes Meyers Vanderbilt Eubanks

RIP Mags :beer:
"Greatness wasn't worth anything if you couldn't share it."-Kobe
User avatar
NYKnickerbocker
General Manager
Posts: 8,121
And1: 4,229
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
Location: Queens
       

Re: POLL: Will Thibs Play Frank A Lot? 

Post#52 » by NYKnickerbocker » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:18 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:Thibs needs to play Frank as a 2 full-time and focus on developing his 3-point shot. At the 2, his ball-handling skills become an asset rather than a liability (or rather just plain mediocrity) when he plays the point, and his lack of assertiveness isn't as much of an issue.

I truly believe the Knicks and Knicks fans alike have put Frank in a position to fail by expecting him to be a point guard.

Let Frank be a two-guard. Then he "only" has to develop his 3-point shot and learn how to cut to become a valuable all-around player. But his career will definitely go into a tailspin and he will head back to Europe sooner than later if we ask too much of him.
i don’t think his ball handling for a point is mediocre. Just his willingness to attack and be aggressive makes it seem like that. But I’d rather him work on being that 3/D 2gaurd who has handles like you said
User avatar
Garbagelo
Starter
Posts: 2,004
And1: 2,137
Joined: Jul 17, 2015

Re: POLL: Will Thibs Play Frank A Lot? 

Post#53 » by Garbagelo » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:37 am

Did u guys miss the 2nd half of the season when Frank was coming into his own? He was getting wherever he wanted to on the court when he gave himself the green light.
blanko
Starter
Posts: 2,153
And1: 962
Joined: Mar 14, 2015

Re: POLL: Will Thibs Play Frank A Lot? 

Post#54 » by blanko » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:40 am

br7knicks wrote:My only concern is that Frank didn't consistently show enough interest and passion in playing. I don't need a Ron artest, as I'm a huge Battier fan.

But a team like the spurs, with a good coach and good system, would get so much out of Frank.

My hope is that because thibs is defensive, he's the most likely candidate to get the most out of him, as a coach, who was available for the Knicks.

But I've been fooled by the Knicks for almost 20 years, and they've given me no reason to have hope this time around. Small moves are a start, but it's not enough for me to have blinding faith yet
Players without basketball passion dont play good defense.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk
User avatar
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
Posts: 25,545
And1: 10,270
Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Location: New York City the best city in the world
     

Re: POLL: Will Thibs Play Frank A Lot? 

Post#55 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:29 am

blanko wrote:
br7knicks wrote:My only concern is that Frank didn't consistently show enough interest and passion in playing. I don't need a Ron artest, as I'm a huge Battier fan.

But a team like the spurs, with a good coach and good system, would get so much out of Frank.

My hope is that because thibs is defensive, he's the most likely candidate to get the most out of him, as a coach, who was available for the Knicks.

But I've been fooled by the Knicks for almost 20 years, and they've given me no reason to have hope this time around. Small moves are a start, but it's not enough for me to have blinding faith yet
Players without basketball passion dont play good defense.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk


You can be passionate and it will greatly help you on defense because effort goes a long way on defense. Offense is a lot more skill and ability based so while effort helps, the effect is not nearly as much as on defense. Regardless, Frank is definitely MORE tentative on offense than on defense. We can argue why he plays tentatively on offense but it is pretty apparent.
A new era or error?
User avatar
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
Posts: 25,545
And1: 10,270
Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Location: New York City the best city in the world
     

Re: POLL: Will Thibs Play Frank A Lot? 

Post#56 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:31 am

NYKnickerbocker wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:Thibs needs to play Frank as a 2 full-time and focus on developing his 3-point shot. At the 2, his ball-handling skills become an asset rather than a liability (or rather just plain mediocrity) when he plays the point, and his lack of assertiveness isn't as much of an issue.

I truly believe the Knicks and Knicks fans alike have put Frank in a position to fail by expecting him to be a point guard.

Let Frank be a two-guard. Then he "only" has to develop his 3-point shot and learn how to cut to become a valuable all-around player. But his career will definitely go into a tailspin and he will head back to Europe sooner than later if we ask too much of him.
i don’t think his ball handling for a point is mediocre. Just his willingness to attack and be aggressive makes it seem like that. But I’d rather him work on being that 3/D 2gaurd who has handles like you said


Mediocre is below average but not necessarily bad. Compared to other nba level point guards and combos yes he is mediocre.
A new era or error?
User avatar
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
Posts: 30,523
And1: 6,789
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
     

Re: POLL: Will Thibs Play Frank A Lot? 

Post#57 » by br7knicks » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:46 am

blanko wrote:
br7knicks wrote:My only concern is that Frank didn't consistently show enough interest and passion in playing. I don't need a Ron artest, as I'm a huge Battier fan.

But a team like the spurs, with a good coach and good system, would get so much out of Frank.

My hope is that because thibs is defensive, he's the most likely candidate to get the most out of him, as a coach, who was available for the Knicks.

But I've been fooled by the Knicks for almost 20 years, and they've given me no reason to have hope this time around. Small moves are a start, but it's not enough for me to have blinding faith yet
Players without basketball passion dont play good defense.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk


Except he played near elite level defense.

His lack of passion was mostly on the offensive end.

My only gripe with him defensively, and I think it's because he is young and unestablished, is that he'd sometimes get called for a lot of overly aggressive fouls that weren't necessary.

I don't want to take that weapon away from him, because picking up guys like curry and Kyrie at half court will do wonders for a team.
Rest in Peace, magnumt. 2019
User avatar
GettinitDone
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,106
And1: 1,068
Joined: Feb 09, 2012

Re: POLL: Will Thibs Play Frank A Lot? 

Post#58 » by GettinitDone » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:33 pm

I have a premonition Thibs gonna trade Frank to Bulls for his defensive ace Kris Dunn
User avatar
3toheadmelo
RealGM
Posts: 38,234
And1: 35,273
Joined: Feb 15, 2015
 

Re: POLL: Will Thibs Play Frank A Lot? 

Post#59 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:24 pm

GettinitDone wrote:I have a premonition Thibs gonna trade Frank to Bulls for his defensive ace Kris Dunn

I support that trade. Dunn is 10x the defender Frank is
Cavs Nation
PG: Jamal Murray/McLaughlin
SG: Zach Lavine/Dunn
SF: Jayson Tatum/Troy Brown Jr
PF: Bam Adebayo
C: Deandre Ayton/Randle


It's like when lil bitches make subliminal records, If it ain't directed directly at me, I don't respect it
User avatar
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 60,381
And1: 30,313
Joined: Jun 27, 2003
Location: Frankie N Baby
   

Re: POLL: Will Thibs Play Frank A Lot? 

Post#60 » by GONYK » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:01 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
GettinitDone wrote:I have a premonition Thibs gonna trade Frank to Bulls for his defensive ace Kris Dunn

I support that trade. Dunn is 10x the defender Frank is


This is mostly wrong, but it also ignores that Dunn is already 26 and an argument can be made that Frank is the overall better player at this stage in their respective careers.

Return to New York Knicks