ImageImageImageImageImage

Scott Perry rejected the notion on sending players to G-League, feeling it would be perceived as too big a demotion

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,205

Re: Scott Perry rejected the notion on sending players to G-League, feeling it would be perceived as too big a demotion 

Post#61 » by mpharris36 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:57 pm

god shammgod wrote:the only reason to care about this is if you are under the belief that you can fix kevin knox or dennis smith jr, i am not. send em down, up, sideways, these motherf*ckers suck.

I think your missing the point that the more egregious error is we have/had a person in a position of power that cared more about the perception of his own job security over the developement of young players (no matter how small or impactful that development is).

Almost any coach or player development person worth a damn suggests nothing can simulate game minutes...so the point is someone cared more about there job security rather then got those players important game minutes. That is ultimately a firable offense to me.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,555

Re: Scott Perry rejected the notion on sending players to G-League, feeling it would be perceived as too big a demotion 

Post#62 » by Capn'O » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:03 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
Capn'O wrote:I'm sorry, this is just extremely egregious. The team sucks. Has sucked for decades. The only thing going for it is that it has some young talent. Most other teams use the G-League and the names of the guys that have spent time there are almost a who's who of the league after the superstars.

Whatever value Perry might have as a bean counter is completely obliterated by this news. If it's true he needs to be phased out of any sort of decision making capacity.

This is the Cap i know. Well done, sir.

You can take the man out of New York but you can't take New York out of the man.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,555

Post#63 » by Capn'O » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:11 pm

god shammgod wrote:the only reason to care about this is if you are under the belief that you can fix kevin knox or dennis smith jr, i am not. send em down, up, sideways, these motherf*ckers suck.

Frank and Dotson are the two guys that sprang to mind for me for longer stints. Mitch for brief stints to work on specific practice items - fouls and expanding his game. Knox... yeah, he should have been sent down.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,374

Post#64 » by god shammgod » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:22 pm

mpharris36 wrote:

I think your missing the point that the more egregious error is we have/had a person in a position of power that cared more about the perception of his own job security over the developement of young players (no matter how small or impactful that development is).

Almost any coach or player development person worth a damn suggests nothing can simulate game minutes...so the point is someone cared more about there job security rather then got those players important game minutes. That is ultimately a firable offense to me.

scott perry sucks. that aint news. but in this specific case, i don't really care. the g-league isn't gonna help knox. he got regular minutes, he wasn't riding the bench every game. he's not any good.
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,549

Post#65 » by Gravy » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:17 pm

Knox was the only one that probably needed the extra time. They were waiting to get rid of Trier, DSJ would just sulk more. We usually feel that players spend too much time in the G-league; Wooten, Iggy, Lamar Peters etc.

I agree Scott Perry did not want his draft picks looking bad in the NY media and getting grilled over it. You cant really run the Knicks like a small market team and do things the right way with the media and fans expecting immediate results. Leon Rose will get a free year to do whatever he wants, then in year 2 will need to see some results or he will feel the pressure too.
NewYorkPride85
Senior
And1: 353

Post#66 » by NewYorkPride85 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:36 pm

Gravy wrote:Knox was the only one that probably needed the extra time. They were waiting to get rid of Trier, DSJ would just sulk more. We usually feel that players spend too much time in the G-league; Wooten, Iggy, Lamar Peters etc.

I agree Scott Perry did not want his draft picks looking bad in the NY media and getting grilled over it. You cant really run the Knicks like a small market team and do things the right way with the media and fans expecting immediate results. Leon Rose will get a free year to do whatever he wants, then in year 2 will need to see some results or he will feel the pressure too.

Can't deny what you said about not being able to operate as small market. I think what matters most is that we actually see players progressing into better players and continue to rise to their ceiling. As long as that happens, I don't think of it as a problem whatever they decide.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,440

Post#67 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Aug 2, 2020 6:12 pm

GONYK wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
GONYK wrote:I think he's a very good pair of hands to do the day to day work of a GM.

As long as he's not setting the strategic direction of team, I don't think he's going to do any harm.

if that's the thinking, why not replace him? setting the strategic direction of the team is one of the main jobs of GM. you dont just keep someone because you think they won't cause harm, you keep someone because you think they're an asset

I don't think it's the main job of the GM. It's the job of the POBO.

The job of the GM is to do the day-to-day legwork to carry out that vision.

Our entire FO braintrust was Mills and Perry before, and we saw the results of that. Under Rose, there are a lot of decision makers above Perry.

That’s the point. Then there’s no need for Perry. He superfluous. Too many cooks are already in the kitchen.
Free Palestine
bigfnjoe96
General Manager
And1: 3,948

Post#68 » by bigfnjoe96 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 6:46 pm

Dats my guy Shams!Image

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Post#69 » by GONYK » Sun Aug 2, 2020 7:13 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
GONYK wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
if that's the thinking, why not replace him? setting the strategic direction of the team is one of the main jobs of GM. you dont just keep someone because you think they won't cause harm, you keep someone because you think they're an asset

I don't think it's the main job of the GM. It's the job of the POBO.

Our entire FO braintrust was Mills and Perry before, and we saw the results of that. Under Rose, there are a lot of decision makers above Perry.

That’s the point. Then there’s no need for Perry. He superfluous. Too many cooks are already in the kitchen.
Even if you want to fire Perry, the team would still need a GM.

The role itself is critical to day-to-day basketball operations.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,205

Post#70 » by mpharris36 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 7:14 pm

GONYK wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
GONYK wrote:I don't think it's the main job of the GM. It's the job of the POBO.

Even if you want to fire Perry, the team would still need a GM.

The role itself is critical to day-to-day basketball operations.

hopefully just keeping the seat warm until we can bring bobby webster home
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Garbagelo
Veteran
And1: 3,151

Post#71 » by Garbagelo » Sun Aug 2, 2020 7:22 pm

Every day that passes more and more details get revealed about just how big a disaster Perry and Mills were

https://dailyknicks.com/2020/08/02/knicks-kristaps-porzingis-trade-mavs-originally-wanted/

“Dallas called New York first about Tim Hardaway Jr. That was who they wanted. That’s when New York said, ‘What do you think about Porzingis?’” Hardaway Sr. said. “And then they threw Tim in the deal. People are going to say that’s not true to cover their butt, but that’s what I know.”

Jeff Bellone btw, retired creator of Knicks Film School
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#72 » by HEZI » Sun Aug 2, 2020 7:27 pm

Garbagelo wrote:Every day that passes more and more details get revealed about just how big a disaster Perry and Mills were

https://dailyknicks.com/2020/08/02/knicks-kristaps-porzingis-trade-mavs-originally-wanted/

“Dallas called New York first about Tim Hardaway Jr. That was who they wanted. That’s when New York said, ‘What do you think about Porzingis?’” Hardaway Sr. said. “And then they threw Tim in the deal. People are going to say that’s not true to cover their butt, but that’s what I know.”

If this is true wow :rofl:
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#73 » by Oscirus » Sun Aug 2, 2020 8:56 pm

Garbagelo wrote:Every day that passes more and more details get revealed about just how big a disaster Perry and Mills were

We already know about that. Whats so bad about that knowing what we know about Porzingis's desire to be here?
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#74 » by br7knicks » Sun Aug 2, 2020 9:12 pm

Knowing the moves of this franchise the last ten years, this is completely plausible, and more than likely, probable.

I'm sure it's 70-100% true
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#75 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Aug 3, 2020 12:34 pm

mpharris36 wrote:

I think its being overplayed though. We had few guys we drafted in the lottery that weren't getting minutes and we're a lottery team. In other words we ARE a g-league team......unless people wanted to see us try to play the vets even more than they already did. Did you? Tell me. Did you wanna see a lineup of Payton/Ellington/Morris/Randle/Gibson with a larger portion of our lottery picks going to the G-League? Not me. I get it when your vets are part of your core and youngins better just figure it out and earn spots and get in where they fit in. But in our case the vets are placeholders

So maybe Perry just misspoke which in and of itself is becoming somewhat evident. I mean in recent interviews I'm like dude just shut up.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,964

Post#76 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Aug 3, 2020 12:55 pm

It had sounded like the intent was for the young players to watch the veterans and learn from them how to play the right way. Needless to say that didnt work out. The entire season was just a disaster and total waste of time.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Post#77 » by GONYK » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:07 pm

We're also assuming that Craig Robinson had some development program that Perry should have had faith in.

I'm not sure that was the case.
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,549

Post#78 » by Gravy » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:52 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:It had sounded like the intent was for the young players to watch the veterans and learn from them how to play the right way. Needless to say that didnt work out. The entire season was just a disaster and total waste of time.

As soon as KD and Kyrie went to the Nets, Steve Mills had to make the playoffs to keep his job. On top of that we didnt get Zion so that previous season was a waste too. The final straw was our poor record this year and RJ having a rough rookie season.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,139

Post#79 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:57 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:It had sounded like the intent was for the young players to watch the veterans and learn from them how to play the right way. Needless to say that didnt work out. The entire season was just a disaster and total waste of time.

Now the young guys have to unlearn this:

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,964

Post#80 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:06 pm

Gravy wrote:

As soon as KD and Kyrie went to the Nets, Steve Mills had to make the playoffs to keep his job. On top of that we didnt get Zion so that previous season was a waste too. The final straw was our poor record this year and RJ having a rough rookie season.

Yea, they were def trying to make the playoffs and thought they put together a good team. It was just so poorly executed.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce

Return to New York Knicks