ImageImageImageImageImage

Scott Perry rejected the notion on sending players to G-League, feeling it would be perceived as too big a demotion

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,880

Re: Scott Perry rejected the notion on sending players to G-League, feeling it would be perceived as too big a demotion 

Post#81 » by GONYK » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:10 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

That’s the point. Then there’s no need for Perry. He superfluous. Too many cooks are already in the kitchen.
Even if you want to fire Perry, the team would still need a GM.

The role itself is critical to day-to-day basketball operations.

hopefully just keeping the seat warm until we can bring bobby webster home

Yes, replacing Perry with an actively competent GM would be ideal
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,642

Re: Scott Perry rejected the notion on sending players to G-League, feeling it would be perceived as too big a demotion 

Post#82 » by mpharris36 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:14 pm

GONYK wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
GONYK wrote:Even if you want to fire Perry, the team would still need a GM.

The role itself is critical to day-to-day basketball operations.

While competent would be nice, I'm shooting for the skies here...I would like the cream of the crop.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#83 » by GONYK » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:16 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

While competent would be nice, I'm shooting for the skies here...I would like the cream of the crop.

It would most likely be someone who is an Assistant GM now, otherwise it is not a promotion
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#84 » by mpharris36 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:17 pm

GONYK wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
GONYK wrote:

It would most likely be someone who is an Assistant GM now, otherwise it is not a promotion

unless a GM's contract is up and we can just pay them significantly more. For example I believe Webster contract is up after next year so he wouldn't need approval to leave.

ROSTER

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#85 » by GONYK » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:19 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

unless a GM's contract is up and we can just pay them significantly more. For example I believe Webster contract is up after next year so he wouldn't need approval to leave.

Correct, but I would assume any GM with a great reputation will be compensated by the team they are currently on.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#86 » by mpharris36 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:24 pm

GONYK wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
GONYK wrote:

Correct, but I would assume any GM with a great reputation will be compensated by the team they are currently on.

yes, but since there is no salary cap I would think our organization and Dolan would actually come into play here. I assume we paid Brock Aller a sh*t ton more than CLE was willing to and that is why he left for a similar job title and CLE liked him.

You put enough money in front of someone they might consider, especially in this climate where teams are cutting cost not raising them.

ROSTER

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,451

Post#87 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:33 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

I would love to add Webster. Our top seems pretty crowded already though, especially with WWW and all these other guys they brought in Just a guess, but seems if they replace Perry it might be from within

President, New York Knicks Leon Rose
General Manager, New York Knicks Scott Perry
Executive Vice President – Senior Basketball Advisor William Wesley

Special Assistant to the General Manager Allan Houston
Assistant General Manager Gerald Madkins
Assistant General Manager - College Scouting Walt Perrin
Assistant General Manager - Pro Scouting Frank Zanin
Vice President, Basketball & Strategic Planning Brock Aller
Vice President, Basketball Operations Jamie Mathews
Basketball Strategy Lead Sean MacLean
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#88 » by GONYK » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:33 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

yes, but since there is no salary cap I would think our organization and Dolan would actually come into play here. I assume we paid Brock Aller a sh*t ton more than CLE was willing to and that is why he left for a similar job title and CLE liked him.

You put enough money in front of someone they might consider, especially in this climate where teams are cutting cost not raising them.

True, but I doubt we'd pay the GM more than the people he is reporting to, so there is a practical limit
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#89 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:36 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:It had sounded like the intent was for the young players to watch the veterans and learn from them how to play the right way. Needless to say that didnt work out. The entire season was just a disaster and total waste of time.

Well we added the 27th pick if thats any consolation.
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,445

Post#90 » by Gravy » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:37 pm

Perry's team building has been a disaster but if Mitch+RJ improves, and this year's pick is a hit and we have a decent season I can see a possibility that he sticks around. :dontknow:
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#91 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:41 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:It had sounded like the intent was for the young players to watch the veterans and learn from them how to play the right way. Needless to say that didnt work out. The entire season was just a disaster and total waste of time.

Well we added the 27th pick if thats any consolation.

I will take that. Mills wanted to keep Morris though so probably wouldnt have gotten the pick without firing Mills
Mavs
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#92 » by mpharris36 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:45 pm

GONYK wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
GONYK wrote:

True, but I doubt we'd pay the GM more than the people he is reporting to, so there is a practical limit

Understandable. I guess my assumption is the only person the GM should be reporting to is the POBO....if we had a capable GM that would be the hierarchy structure...we just laugh at Perry's actual value in the organization because he has proven he has no clue what he's doing. Therefor we just assume guys like WWW, Perrin, Aller have more control and say over Perry...when in theory outside of Leon Rose the GM should be the next highest person in the organization regarding personnel decisions.

ROSTER

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,784

Post#93 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Aug 3, 2020 3:14 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
GONYK wrote:

I would love to add Webster. Our top seems pretty crowded already though, especially with WWW and all these other guys they brought in Just a guess, but seems if they replace Perry it might be from within

Gerald Madkins has ties to Isiah Thomas and seems to have been hired with Perry.

Hopefully that means he's on the short list to be fired

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/24/sports/knicks-expected-to-add-gerald-madkins-as-assistant-gm.html

When the Knicks hired Scott Perry as general manager this month, everyone from the owner James L. Dolan on down promised a culture change in the organization. President Steve Mills pledged that Perry would have the leeway to bring other people into the front office to work alongside him.

It remains to be seen how much change the Knicks are actually willing to undertake in their executive suites, but at least one person will be joining Perry in the effort to finally turn the Knicks around.

That person is expected to be Gerald Madkins, who will become the Knicks’ assistant general manager under Perry, according to a person in the N.B.A. with knowledge of the talks. ESPN was the first to report the deal, which still has to be completed.

Madkins had been an executive with the Los Angeles Clippers for the last five years, working his way up to assistant general manager. His contract was not renewed when it lapsed in June, according to The Los Angeles Times.

Madkins previously worked for the Knicks from 2003 to 2007, as a scout under Isiah Thomas, and he also worked with Perry in Seattle for a season when Perry was the assistant general manager there.

Alan Houston should go too, but unfortunately the Knicks are stuck with him for a while.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#94 » by mpharris36 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 3:23 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Gerald Madkins has ties to Isiah Thomas and seems to have been hired with Perry.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/24/sports/knicks-expected-to-add-gerald-madkins-as-assistant-gm.html

When the Knicks hired Scott Perry as general manager this month, everyone from the owner James L. Dolan on down promised a culture change in the organization. President Steve Mills pledged that Perry would have the leeway to bring other people into the front office to work alongside him.

It remains to be seen how much change the Knicks are actually willing to undertake in their executive suites, but at least one person will be joining Perry in the effort to finally turn the Knicks around.

That person is expected to be Gerald Madkins, who will become the Knicks’ assistant general manager under Perry, according to a person in the N.B.A. with knowledge of the talks. ESPN was the first to report the deal, which still has to be completed.

Madkins had been an executive with the Los Angeles Clippers for the last five years, working his way up to assistant general manager. His contract was not renewed when it lapsed in June, according to The Los Angeles Times.

Madkins previously worked for the Knicks from 2003 to 2007, as a scout under Isiah Thomas, and he also worked with Perry in Seattle for a season when Perry was the assistant general manager there.

Alan Houston should go too, but unfortunately the Knicks are stuck with him for a while.

Yeah I was about to say I think for continuity purposes Rose kept some people involved because of the pandemic and the odd offseason we are about to get into. However I don't consider a few of these long term solutions.

Perry, Houston, and Madkins really have no connection to Rose and new guys like Perrin and Zanin really doesn't have the qualifications to be a GM at this point. The closest thing to a resume that might turn to an in-house GM is probably Brock Aller.

But I think there is plenty of room when the dead weight gets removed that we will have a 2nd in command position opening up and Rose will probably want to hand pick his guy so he doesn't have to oversea in detail every operation.

ROSTER

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#95 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Aug 3, 2020 3:28 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Sounds like Madkins will be gone when his contract expires this month.

Houston I am sure will stick around. I really can't say anything good or bad about him. Anyone associated with Dolan is usually bad. And the only front office experience he has had was in some awful Knicks front offices. Its just really hard to say without knowing what he would do.

It will be interesting to see what they will do with Perry or how/if they will replace him. If he is really good at working the phones and executing the vision he could stick around

https://nypost.com/2020/05/21/leon-roses-rebuild-of-knicks-front-office-applauded-around-nba/

Rose decided to pick up the option on GM Scott Perry for next season but surprisingly is not expected to retain Perry’s two major scouting hires from 2017 — assistant GM Gerald Madkins and pro player personnel director Harold Ellis.

The contracts for Madkins, their college-scouting chief, and Ellis expire in August.

Their jobs have been replaced this week with Rose adding longtime Jazz college scout, Walt Perrin and former Nets assistant GM, Frank Zanin, who arrives from Oklahoma City.

Perrin will run college scouting, while Zanin handles pro scouting. For a rookie president who comes from the agent world, Rose has surrounded himself with two key basketball birddogs.

In Rose’s defense, the awkwardness goes along with awkward times. The 2020 NBA Draft is expected to be postponed from its planned June 25 date — and there’s no telling whether a draft combine will be staged as the coronavirus pandemic drags on.

Perrin and Zanin arrive with multi-year deals, while Perry’s deal is just for next season. Sources indicate that if all goes well, Perry will be in store for an extension next season. That is the case even if he may have made a mistake in bringing aboard Madkins, who has bounced around five teams in nine years.
Mavs
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,177

Post#96 » by Kampuchea » Mon Aug 3, 2020 3:38 pm

Hes_On_Fire wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:Freckles did a few good things. Mills was cleary useless.

I doubt Rose inherits the cap space and amount of picks he has without Perry's prior actions. And Perry did get Mitch and Iggy at really high draft positions which was pretty awesome.

That said, off with his head!

Who's Iggy? Igoudala?

Or are we talking about G Leaguer Ignas Brazdeikis?

Isn't it a little weird that this is listed under a 'positive' when we have no idea if Ignas is even an NBA player or not? And this is coming from someone who likes the player.

It’s not weird for this forum. Just watch them prop up Ntilikina constantly.

Regarding the OP, not buying anything from Berman. Some people on this forum keep falling for it and Berman has a fanboy in Macri.
Futureisnow
Head Coach
And1: 1,271

Post#97 » by Futureisnow » Mon Aug 3, 2020 3:43 pm

Well, while he may have felt this way in the past, the bottomline is that Thibs has five years on his deal and Perry has one. If he wants to stick around, he'll go along with whatever the head coach wants.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,784

Post#98 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Aug 3, 2020 6:54 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

Sounds like Madkins will be gone when his contract expires this month.

Houston I am sure will stick around. I really can't say anything good or bad about him. Anyone associated with Dolan is usually bad. And the only front office experience he has had was in some awful Knicks front offices. Its just really hard to say without knowing what he would do.

It will be interesting to see what they will do with Perry or how/if they will replace him. If he is really good at working the phones and executing the vision he could stick around

https://nypost.com/2020/05/21/leon-roses-rebuild-of-knicks-front-office-applauded-around-nba/

Rose decided to pick up the option on GM Scott Perry for next season but surprisingly is not expected to retain Perry’s two major scouting hires from 2017 — assistant GM Gerald Madkins and pro player personnel director Harold Ellis.

The contracts for Madkins, their college-scouting chief, and Ellis expire in August.

Their jobs have been replaced this week with Rose adding longtime Jazz college scout, Walt Perrin and former Nets assistant GM, Frank Zanin, who arrives from Oklahoma City.

Perrin will run college scouting, while Zanin handles pro scouting. For a rookie president who comes from the agent world, Rose has surrounded himself with two key basketball birddogs.

In Rose’s defense, the awkwardness goes along with awkward times. The 2020 NBA Draft is expected to be postponed from its planned June 25 date — and there’s no telling whether a draft combine will be staged as the coronavirus pandemic drags on.

Perrin and Zanin arrive with multi-year deals, while Perry’s deal is just for next season. Sources indicate that if all goes well, Perry will be in store for an extension next season. That is the case even if he may have made a mistake in bringing aboard Madkins, who has bounced around five teams in nine years.

Ah, now I have a name for who was so horrible at pro player scouting for the Knicks under Perry: Harold Ellis

Yup, these two need to go when they expire this month.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#99 » by knickstape4ever » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:25 am

Read on Twitter

While Thibodeau is the sensible candidate to rep the Knicks during lottery proceedings Aug. 20, make no mistake: This is still Perry’s draft.

it seems as tho Perry isn't as powerless now as some fans think
Garbagelo
Veteran
And1: 3,151

Post#100 » by Garbagelo » Tue Aug 4, 2020 8:13 am

Another day, another issue that irks me with this franchise.

Why oh why is Perry the guy doing the interview? Why does our future coach have to get the seal of approval from a lame duck GM? Why are we running another draft through him when it's obvious he will not be here longer than 2021 and his vision for a basketball team involves a spinning ballerina surrounded by old bums? So is Perry the new Mills, the guy that is untouchable and out-sycophanted his predecessor and whispering things into Dolan's ear?

The only answer to all this is that Scott Perry is staying. Or we are incompetent and still have the inmates running the asylum. Neither answer is sufficient. Sometimes I wish our writers have nothing to write about so we can have our ignorant bliss. Why do I have to be reminded that this awful basketball mind is allowed another season to be awful?

I feel like this organization isn't able to see past the next day the way they do things. Or maybe I am thinking too much about a non issue, perhaps Perry just happened to be on the call with Thibs, WWW, and Rose on the Zoom screen we are all so used to now. I don't know and I probably shouldn't care but this seed of doubt will eat at me until this franchise proves they can do a single damn thing right. The circus continues, in reality and at 2x speed in my Knicks splattered warped brain.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/03/how-tom-thibodeau-won-over-scott-perry-to-become-knicks-coach/?fbclid=IwAR1ewVAteDpxoumvsxYFC5ZbV2Rrg66J84x4l09YCP1pCaQxiS85RkMbaWM

Return to New York Knicks