ImageImageImageImageImage

Thoughts on aggressive pursuit of Fred Van Vleet & Joe Harris/Davis Bertans

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Re: Thoughts on aggressive pursuit of Fred Van Vleet & Joe Harris/Davis Bertans 

Post#341 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:11 pm

WargamesX wrote:
jermsknicks wrote:I think FVV would take 18 per to stay in Canada. I just don't see him leaving the stable franchise out of the spotlight.

I would pay him up to 24 mil, just not sure he would handle or want the pressure for being the guy to save this franchise.

Great defender and knock down shooter. He'd perfect to pair with RJ. I would love that team in a different market, I just know how ruthless fans and media would be his first off night.
I would still draft a PG like Lewis who can find that open guy and just play small ball.

I don’t think anyone expects him to save the franchise. They would want him to probably only slightly improve his stats but even if he stayed the same, most fans would be happy.

Honestly there isn’t any real reason to be against going after him. He is a legit starting PG good, but is behind Lowry who is all star good. The Knicks haven’t had a good start pg since Felton’s first tour

Maybe not save the franchise level but if he comes here for a significant sum there will be intense scrutiny and a spotlight. It always happens in this market.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,903

Post#342 » by GONYK » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:58 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
jermsknicks wrote:I think FVV would take 18 per to stay in Canada. I just don't see him leaving the stable franchise out of the spotlight.

I would pay him up to 24 mil, just not sure he would handle or want the pressure for being the guy to save this franchise.

Great defender and knock down shooter. He'd perfect to pair with RJ. I would love that team in a different market, I just know how ruthless fans and media would be his first off night.
I would still draft a PG like Lewis who can find that open guy and just play small ball.

I don’t think anyone expects him to save the franchise. They would want him to probably only slightly improve his stats but even if he stayed the same, most fans would be happy.

Honestly there isn’t any real reason to be against going after him. He is a legit starting PG good, but is behind Lowry who is all star good. The Knicks haven’t had a good start pg since Felton’s first tour

Maybe not save the franchise level but if he comes here for a significant sum there will be intense scrutiny and a spotlight. It always happens in this market.

I'm sure FVV will price that in when he makes us (slightly) overpay him.
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#343 » by WargamesX » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:21 am

GONYK wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:
WargamesX wrote:

I'm sure FVV will price that in when he makes us (slightly) overpay him.

Honestly yeah I expect him to come away with a 22 - 25 mil contract. The only hope I have are the knicks don't give him 5 years but instead 4...... maybe even 3 with a team option 4th year!
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
sPALL
Bench Warmer
And1: 93

Post#344 » by sPALL » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:13 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
sPALL wrote:Fred Van Fleet - Undrafted, signed by Raptors
Davis Bertans - 42nd Pick
Joe Harris - 33rd Pick, signed by Nets after being waived.

I believe we can obtain players like these through free agency or draft, instead of giving max contracts out. I'm a fan of all three of these players at the right price.

(Since 2004? :dontknow: )

Anyhow, great post. We don't have the patience around here for things like that. :lol:

And then we waste time and money on trying to develop the wrong players (e.g. Mudiay, DSJ)

I don't agree unfortunately. I'm sure management would love it if we had a team of Jokic, Green, Covington, Duncan Robinson, Ariza, etc, but the truth is, finding those guys and players are hard, and then we gotta develop. Teams generally don't get too much of those. If FVV is worth a max or getting paid 20+ mill, it's because there are so few guys in the NBA of his caliber (hopefully...we all know human psychology comes into play) that he's going to get paid that, no matter where he got drafted. It ain't easy to find them. As a 2nd rounder, sometimes just getting a TJ McConnell type is a win. Getting a championship caliber, playoff tested PG? That's gold, man. As the Warriors said, if they knew Draymond was that good, they would have gotten him earlier, especially before drafting Ezeli. On our end, we found Mitch in the 2nd and I want him to get paid; it means we did something right if he did. And if Mitch became a star, I would not say "well, he's a dime a dozen..." and "let's find the next 2nd rounder." Guys like Bertans and Harris? It ain't always that easy. Even the Clippers, a team with a shyt ton of depth, ended up trading a 1st for Morris.

We still gotta develop but finding those guys and developing them is not easy. Getting a 3&D guy is pretty good in the 2nd. Getting even a strong backup is good...a lot of those 2nd rounders bust. Getting a stud requires luck or some innovative skill no one else has picked up on, and teams are using data to pick up on that stuff more quickly than ever.

And hell, if we sign FVV and then we sign the next version of FVV as a 2nd rounder? That's a damn nice problem to have, and a very good sign for us.

Logged in for the first time in awhile. I always read through posts without logging in. So notifications in regards to this post just came up.

I would prefer to have Immanuel Quickley on a rookie contract than FVV on a max. I think the production FVV provides can be made up in other ways.

What does everyone else think?
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,098

Post#345 » by Juco24 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:24 pm

sPALL wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
(Since 2004? :dontknow: )

Anyhow, great post. We don't have the patience around here for things like that. :lol:

And then we waste time and money on trying to develop the wrong players (e.g. Mudiay, DSJ)

I don't agree unfortunately. I'm sure management would love it if we had a team of Jokic, Green, Covington, Duncan Robinson, Ariza, etc, but the truth is, finding those guys and players are hard, and then we gotta develop. Teams generally don't get too much of those. If FVV is worth a max or getting paid 20+ mill, it's because there are so few guys in the NBA of his caliber (hopefully...we all know human psychology comes into play) that he's going to get paid that, no matter where he got drafted. It ain't easy to find them. As a 2nd rounder, sometimes just getting a TJ McConnell type is a win. Getting a championship caliber, playoff tested PG? That's gold, man. As the Warriors said, if they knew Draymond was that good, they would have gotten him earlier, especially before drafting Ezeli. On our end, we found Mitch in the 2nd and I want him to get paid; it means we did something right if he did. And if Mitch became a star, I would not say "well, he's a dime a dozen..." and "let's find the next 2nd rounder." Guys like Bertans and Harris? It ain't always that easy. Even the Clippers, a team with a shyt ton of depth, ended up trading a 1st for Morris.

We still gotta develop but finding those guys and developing them is not easy. Getting a 3&D guy is pretty good in the 2nd. Getting even a strong backup is good...a lot of those 2nd rounders bust. Getting a stud requires luck or some innovative skill no one else has picked up on, and teams are using data to pick up on that stuff more quickly than ever.

And hell, if we sign FVV and then we sign the next version of FVV as a 2nd rounder? That's a damn nice problem to have, and a very good sign for us.

Logged in for the first time in awhile. I always read through posts without logging in. So notifications in regards to this post just came up.

I would prefer to have Immanuel Quickley on a rookie contract than FVV on a max. I think the production FVV provides can be made up in other ways.

What does everyone else think?

I don't know how good IQ will be or if he'll ever match FVV... but he's a better fit for this team than FVV right now.. and I don't anyone would disagree
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,033

Post#346 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:01 pm

Everyone that was calling him Fred VanFelton and wanted to save caproom for 2021 and 2022, please tell me who we're going to sign from those classes now that everyone is basically gone and free agents are taking long term money over the uncertainty of the future cap.

$65 million in caproom, nothing to spend it on :lol:
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#347 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sat Jan 8, 2022 2:18 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:Everyone that was calling him Fred VanFelton and wanted to save caproom for 2021 and 2022, please tell me who we're going to sign from those classes now that everyone is basically gone and free agents are taking long term money over the uncertainty of the future cap.

37/10/10 last night.

When I speak about something with passion y'all are gonna learn to listen. He's averaging 22, 7, 5, 2 on 44% and 41% from three with 4 made per game and can play with multiple ball handlers. Let those VanFelton jokes fly you cowards!!!!
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,867

Post#348 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Jan 8, 2022 2:22 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:Everyone that was calling him Fred VanFelton and wanted to save caproom for 2021 and 2022, please tell me who we're going to sign from those classes now that everyone is basically gone and free agents are taking long term money over the uncertainty of the future cap.

37/10/10 last night.

When I speak about something with passion y'all are gonna learn to listen. He's averaging 22, 7, 5, 2 on 44% and 41% from three with 4 made per game and can play with multiple ball handlers. Let those VanFelton jokes fly you cowards!!!!

Unlike anyone else here, you seem very invested in being right

Van Felton was the best move they could have made. You win!
ImageImageImage
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,086

Post#349 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Jan 8, 2022 2:24 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

37/10/10 last night.

When I speak about something with passion y'all are gonna learn to listen. He's averaging 22, 7, 5, 2 on 44% and 41% from three with 4 made per game. Let those VanFelton jokes fly you cowards!!!!

Cmon, VanFelton was pretty hilarious :lol:
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#350 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sat Jan 8, 2022 2:32 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

37/10/10 last night.

What are you even doing here if you're not trying to prove others wrong?
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,867

Post#351 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Jan 8, 2022 2:39 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

37/10/10 last night.

I’m here to expose toxic liberalism as the root cause of Knicks fan dysfunctionality
ImageImageImage
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#352 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sat Jan 8, 2022 3:30 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

I’m here to expose toxic liberalism as the root cause of Knicks fan dysfunctionality

nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#353 » by nedleeds » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:52 pm

Some insanely hot bumps this past week.

Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#354 » by Sprewell4Three » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:16 pm

2 years later and Knicks still looking for a PG. A lot of posts about player A not being in player B’s timeline. Well through history there’s been countless players that align themselves with younger players and succeed. This notion the Knicks are supposed to be 23 and under is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,967

Post#355 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:24 pm

FVV would have been a good get at a certain price but he was never coming. I dont have any regrets over FVV, Harris or Bertans.

Where we messed up is we should have drafted Haliburton or went after Lonzo.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,444

Post#356 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:38 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:FVV would have been a good get at a certain price but he was never coming. I dont have any regrets over FVV, Harris or Bertans.

Where we messed up is we should have drafted Haliburton and went after DeRozan.

Fixed :D
Free Palestine
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,967

Post#357 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:40 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:FVV would have been a good get at a certain price but he was never coming. I dont have any regrets over FVV, Harris or Bertans.

Where we messed up is we should have drafted Haliburton and went after DeRozan.

Fixed :D

Yea, he is playing like an MVP and I did not see that one coming. Oh well, Knicks picked wrong again
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#358 » by Sprewell4Three » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:20 am

Haliburton is supposedly available now

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,444

Post#359 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:14 am

Sprewell4Three wrote:

Haliburton is supposedly available now

Then it’s time to correct a mistake.
Free Palestine
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,549

Post#360 » by Gravy » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:40 am

Sprewell4Three wrote:2 years later and Knicks still looking for a PG. A lot of posts about player A not being in player B’s timeline. Well through history there’s been countless players that align themselves with younger players and succeed. This notion the Knicks are supposed to be 23 and under is ridiculous.

Unfortunately CP3 has to leave the Suns cause he's not on Booker and Ayton's timeline. And the Bulls messed up adding Derozan who is not on Zach Lavine's timeline.

Return to New York Knicks