ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Kristaps Porzingis -- lateral meniscus tear of his right knee

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,414

Re: Kristaps Porzingis -- lateral meniscus tear of his right knee 

Post#61 » by Synciere » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:28 am

Nah we still lost this trade. We got no one worth keeping in free agency and some late firsts. Dallas wouldn’t give us KP back, and that’s even with his bum knee.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Post#62 » by F N 11 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:29 am

Damn, this actually made me feel sad.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Post#63 » by F N 11 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:32 am

Mavs pick valuable. Trust the process.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,867

Post#64 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:40 am

F N 11 wrote:Mavs pick valuable. Trust the process.

Just got off the phone with Tonya Harding. She has Luka's address. We're good.

Spoiler:
Nah
knickstape21
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,738

Post#65 » by knickstape21 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:45 am

Synciere wrote:Nah we still lost this trade. We got no one worth keeping in free agency and some late firsts. Dallas wouldn’t give us KP back, and that’s even with his bum knee.

The team still has all the flexibility in the world. One of the few teams to have options on the cap this summer with everything going on. Those picks won’t be “late firsts” and even if they are “late firsts” they are still an extra first round pick that we never ever never ever never ever have.

Think about it for a second man... what 2nd star would want to come to NY knowing KP is injured year to year?

It would be disastrous.
knickstape21
Assistant Coach

Post#66 » by knickstape21 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:50 am

F N 11 wrote:Mavs pick valuable. Trust the process.

It’s extremely valuable. I’m projecting Dallas just misses playoffs next season. KP is always in and out and Doncic does have questionable ankles. If he misses even a month...

Locks for playoffs:
Lakers
Clippers
Warriors
Rockets
Jazz
Nuggets

Fighting for 7 and 8 seed:
OKC (I think they miss out)
Portland
Memphis
Phoenix
Dallas
New Orleans
Minnesota
San Antonio (never count out a Pop team)

If I had to guess I’d say Portland and Phoenix get in, but HOLY hell is that competitive.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,214

Post#67 » by KnicksGod » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:51 am

Synciere wrote:Nah we still lost this trade. We got no one worth keeping in free agency and some late firsts. Dallas wouldn’t give us KP back, and that’s even with his bum knee.

I’d say you’re right if he added a lot to their team but without D, not sure that’s true. He seems to be a push even when healthy and he’s not great at anything. Doesn’t pass. Not strong. Blocks a couple of shots but has checked out on D.

Combination of health and really taking a cold hard look at whether he’s adding a lot and I say the Mavs would undo the trade — if they were honest about whether he’s a big-time piece.

3rd thing is that he’s not all that young.

Health no good, close to showing you what he’s got as a ceiling and it’s not great, and he’s not like 21 or whatever. I think it’s still that he’s very tall and European. But he’s at least a nice offensive player.
Synciere
Head Coach

Post#68 » by Synciere » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:53 am

knickstape21 wrote:

The team still has all the flexibility in the world. One of the few teams to have options on the cap this summer with everything going on. Those picks won’t be “late firsts” and even if they are “late firsts” they are still an extra first round pick that we never ever never ever never ever have.

Think about it for a second man... what 2nd star would want to come to NY knowing KP is injured year to year?

It would be disastrous.

Have you seen this young euro guy going by the name Luka? Kid’s a prodigy. As long as he’s healthy those Mavs picks are going to be late firsts, KP’s knees be damned. And KP is still a better draw for free agents than our cap space. Most of the board can’t wait to get rid of DSJ too, though I think it’s just a matter of fit for him long term. As of right now we have not a single long term piece from that trade of a young all star big. We lost. We gained flexibility in a year with the worst free agency class in a decade... smh.
knickstape21
Assistant Coach

Post#69 » by knickstape21 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:03 am

Synciere wrote:
knickstape21 wrote:

It would be disastrous.

Have you seen this young euro guy going by the name Luka? Kid’s a prodigy. As long as he’s healthy those Mavs picks are going to be late firsts, KP’s knees be damned. And KP is still a better draw for free agents than our cap space. Most of the board can’t wait to get rid of DSJ too, though I think it’s just a matter of fit for him long term. As of right now we have not a single long term piece from that trade of a young all star big. We lost. We gained flexibility in a year with the worst free agency class in a decade... smh.

What pick do you think the Mavs pick will be next season EVEN with KP playing every game?

Also, are you happy we have it?
Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#70 » by Dantares » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:04 am

I dont think there is any way we would have had capspace late in free agency if we still had KP and Timmy on the books so we probably wouldnt have signed marcus morris. We would have probably signed guards first like bullock and ellington and payton and not had enough money for morris.

But We did sign morris and we got a draft pick out of it too so that was nice.
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,790

Re: OT: Kristaps Porzingis -- lateral meniscus tear of his right knee 

Post#71 » by Stannis » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:16 am

I still think Knicks could have done much better if they shopped KP early like PJax wanted to. There was always red flags. And Hahn never released the 2-3 events that really soured his relationship with the organization. But it must have been bad and you should have shopped him right then and there when his value was higher.

But in hindsight, trading KP at his lowest value still netted some decent return. Dumped Timmy, CLee, and got what will basically be a pick and a half.

DSjr looks hopeless though.

I just wished we traded KP sooner. As well as CLee, we got greedy with him and tried to get a pick when we should have been happy dumping him for a 2nd rounder or two.
Free Palestine
Synciere
Head Coach

Post#72 » by Synciere » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:17 am

knickstape21 wrote:
Synciere wrote:
knickstape21 wrote:

It would be disastrous.

What pick do you think the Mavs pick will be next season EVEN with KP playing every game?

Also, are you happy we have it?

Improvement by Luka; another year In the same system for that Dallas core (who would’ve thought Timmy would look so good for them huh?); a healthy KP as per your scenario... again I think that pick lands in the 21-26 range. Am I happy to have it? I guess, but I’d rather have KP in that scenario is my point. He has a higher ceiling than 99% of picks in the 20s.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,579

Post#73 » by Capn'O » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:31 am

Stannis wrote:I still think Knicks could have done much better if they shopped KP early like PJax wanted to. There was always red flags. And Hahn never released the 2-3 events that really soured his relationship with the organization. But it must have been bad and you should have shopped him right then and there when his value was higher.

But in hindsight, trading KP at his lowest value still netted some decent return. Dumped Timmy, CLee, and got what will basically be a pick and a half.

DSjr looks hopeless though.

I just wished we traded KP sooner. As well as CLee, we got greedy with him and tried to get a pick when we should have been happy dumping him for a 2nd rounder or two.

This is clearly true. We might have gotten a huge haul then. Though Phil was rumored to want Jackson. Or Fox. It would have been PR suicide though.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,286

Post#74 » by RHODEY » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:07 am

Context wrote:
Kristaps Porzingis has been ruled out for the remainder of the first round with a lateral meniscus tear of his right knee.

Porzingis suffered the injury in Game 1 of the Dallas Mavericks' first round series against the Los Angeles Clippers.

Porzingis played in Games 2 and 3 with the injury.

Treatment options for Porzingis are currently being explored.

Is it safe to say we won the trade now?

I think so...

RHODEY
RealGM

Post#75 » by RHODEY » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:09 am

Jose7 wrote:
Context wrote:
Kristaps Porzingis has been ruled out for the remainder of the first round with a lateral meniscus tear of his right knee.

Porzingis suffered the injury in Game 1 of the Dallas Mavericks' first round series against the Los Angeles Clippers.

Porzingis played in Games 2 and 3 with the injury.

Treatment options for Porzingis are currently being explored.

Is it safe to say we won the trade now?

I think so...

depends on who walter perin drafts.

We filled that cap space with King Julius to replace KP essentially. it's been amazingly one sided for the mavericks thus far.

And with KP in perpetual crutches it swings back to our favor. Phil was right, he's too tall for basketball.
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#76 » by RHODEY » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:17 am

LoL not yet but just wait xx millions dollars and a few more lower extremity injuries later....They'll be dying to gift wrap KP to other teams..
Zerostatic
General Manager
And1: 537

Post#77 » by Zerostatic » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:48 am

Imagine if Dallas misses the playoffs next season and with these new flatter odds we finally win the lottery but not with our pick but Dallas's instead. That would be awesome.

As for KP, I think it was a bad trade on our end. I'm all about getting 2-3 top 30 players and KP when healthy fits in that range.

The injury issues in retrospect take some sting away. Hopefully those picks can turn into somebody special.
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#78 » by RHODEY » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:54 am

Zerostatic wrote:Imagine if Dallas misses the playoffs next season and with these new flatter odds we finally win the lottery but not with our pick but Dallas's instead. That would be awesome.

As for KP, I think it was a bad trade on our end. I'm all about getting 2-3 top 30 players and KP when healthy fits in that range.

The injury issues in retrospect take some sting away. Hopefully those picks can turn into somebody special.

The possibilities are endless with two lottery pick in a very very deep draft. You could bundle them to move up or...maybe just draft 2 studs :D
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,214

Post#79 » by KnicksGod » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:55 am

Not trying to pile on. But this isn’t just some injury issues now. He’s got an unusual body that is somewhat of unknown for the NBA grind. Both knees now will have had serious surgical repair in the course of 3 years. He didn’t even play a lot of games. He’s only 25 and his health is looking quite bad. It’s not minor.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#80 » by robillionaire » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:50 am

I'm kinda wondering if this makes the unprotected dallas pick have more value as trade bait. I don't think we'll trade it anyway but can't help but be curious

Return to New York Knicks