ImageImageImageImageImage

its time to talk Chris Paul

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,988

Re: its time to talk Chris Paul 

Post#41 » by Richard4444 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 3:03 am

GONYK wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:I'd definitely consider your proposed trade, but I don't think OKC is giving up draft capital to move Paul at this point - and in fact would argue that they're going to require some from the Knicks to complete a trade. I don't think they're moving Paul as a salary dump like the Rockets did.

If that's the case this whole conversation is moot to me.
Depends on how broke OKC is due to Covid

OKC has a payroll of 105K for next season. It is around the probable salary cap. They dont need to shred salary. And if they do, they can easily move Dennis contract.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,633

Post#42 » by knicksNOTslick » Tue Sep 8, 2020 3:54 am

Richard4444 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:I'd definitely consider your proposed trade, but I don't think OKC is giving up draft capital to move Paul at this point - and in fact would argue that they're going to require some from the Knicks to complete a trade. I don't think they're moving Paul as a salary dump like the Rockets did.

OKC has a payroll of 105K for next season. It is around the probable salary cap. They dont need to shred salary. And if they do, they can easily move Dennis contract.

But Paul is only getting older and doesn't really fit on any of OKC's timeline. They overachieved this year and the West seems to only get stronger with the Mavs on the up and up and the Blazers getting healthy. The best play for OKC to really do right now is to properly rebuild and trade away CP3 because he gets in the way of that. You might be right that they might not need to include a pick to get rid of him. We shouldn't trade for him either as much as I am a fan of his play.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#43 » by DrCoach » Tue Sep 8, 2020 4:35 am

This is shortsighted, i dint want to win games with a stacked draft coming up next yr
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#44 » by Synciere » Tue Sep 8, 2020 4:59 am

GONYK wrote:

Bennett made his money in energy and whatnot, Petra and natural gas. I haven’t checked the publicly traded companies recently but they haven’t been hurt by Covid I don’t think.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,068

Post#45 » by GONYK » Tue Sep 8, 2020 5:01 am

Synciere wrote:
GONYK wrote:

Bennett made his money in energy and whatnot, Petra and natural gas. I haven’t checked the publicly traded companies recently but they haven’t been hurt by Covid I don’t think.
Well, they are cheap under normal circumstances. I don't think a reduced cap that puts them around the luxury tax line is ideal for them.
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#46 » by Synciere » Tue Sep 8, 2020 5:05 am

OKC is going to want a pick because Paul played like the All NBA player he is and they don’t have to trade him. Their owner isn’t strapped for cash. Their team is in good shape regardless of the cap. There’s a salary floor so it’s not like they wouldn’t have to pay somebody; it’s not like you can just remove the 40 million and they sit on the money. So now they’d be signing players or trading for a Randle to be a worse team? For his salary most GMs are going to want OKC to give up the pick, but I don’t see Presti as the type to blink here. They’d actually have to like one of our young players that we’d be willing to trade. Anyone want to put Barrett or Mitch in the deal??

Knicks sure could use him, but we’re a terrible fit in terms of having anything to entice OKC.
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,751

Post#47 » by Fat » Tue Sep 8, 2020 5:45 am

Certainly would be a knickish move
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,325

Post#48 » by iLLmatic860 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 6:09 am

He comes here I gurantee you he goes back to being injury prone
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,275

Post#49 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Sep 8, 2020 6:30 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:In theory, I love the idea of Chris Paul on the Knicks. He fits perfectly alongside RJ and Mitch. He’s the ideal guy to help establish a culture around his and RJ’s competitive spirit. He brings legitimate veteran leadership.

The issue is, we still lack elite talent as part of our rebuild, and the best way to acquire it is through the draft. And next year’s draft class is projected to be talent-heavy.

Chris Paul makes us win games. What we need is to lose games, for one extra year at least.

I prefer we go for Conley. Helps the young guys but doesn’t make us too competitive.

I think the premise may be workable IF one believes this front office will succeed. If you do think so, then the franchise is probably two full seasons away from being built out into a playoff push team. IF the next two years are thus transitional then this is the time, NOT later, to take on a fat deal to get leadership and mentoring.

We all saw what effect Kidd and Pablo had on the club on partial minutes. Leadership does build franchises even if it is transitional. The problem with the Kidd/Prigioni years is there was a bad front office that didn't build for the future, so there was no institutional memory in the form of tenured backcourt players who had been mentored by those vets.

I'd say it really comes down to whether they draft a decent PG talent and they want to mentor that pick, Frank and RJ using a great PG veteran which is definitely Chris Paul. Conley also fits that bill, though Paul is truly one of the best PGs of all time so if that is your primary reasoning, then Paul is better, but Conley is still very good.

These are the next two years to do something like this since it would relieve you of Randle and possibly some other deadwood. If Rose can secure any picks in the process, then it seems viable.

I would not do this after next season. This is the perfect off-season to do something like this as it doesn't slow down a rebuild and cap space would open up again when Paul or Conley expires in time to sign any final piece(s) of the puzzle in FA in a couple of years.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,275

Post#50 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Sep 8, 2020 6:34 am

thebuzzardman wrote:Might as well talk RuPaul

Who took the photo of you two?
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#51 » by GEOLINK » Tue Sep 8, 2020 6:45 am

CP3 lobs to Mitch would be heaven.
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,967

Post#52 » by knicks94 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 8:44 am

We can discuss great trade scenarios for the Knicks, but at the end of the day the front office is most likely going to make a move that sets us back another few years.This organization will never be about developing talent and building a winning culture until Dolan is out.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#53 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Sep 8, 2020 10:06 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Might as well talk RuPaul

Who took the photo of you two?

My drag game isn't as strong as that person on the left
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,212

Post#54 » by Kampuchea » Tue Sep 8, 2020 11:30 am

Seems the biggest disagreement is how we perceive OKC and their view of CP.
-> (OKC gives us picks) Some view it as a contract that OKC really wants to move due to the financial burden which is magnified by Covid
-> (We give OKC picks) Others see that they are a playoff team carried by CP and he is playing well, it will cost us to get him

I bet OKC doesn't know themselves what they plan to do. I definitely don't want to be giving picks, so our best bet is to hope they struggle to start the season and the prospect of paying that $40million salary for a non-playoff team gets them to add picks.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#55 » by moocow007 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 2:02 pm

Oscirus wrote:
DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:I believe we still in AD sweepstakes. I see Ad signing a one year deal then dipping next season. Worldwide Wes and Rich Paul are close. We will definitely get a meetin this summer

Why does ad leave a contending team with one of the best players in the world for a lottery team hed have to carry? One would figure that he's had enough of that with his previous team

The Lakers are only a contending team cause Lebron James is on it. James will be 36 years old by the time contract re-up comes up for AD. Davis would still be 27 at that time. I doubt he'd want to sign long term. And honestly, I don't know that James would either.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by moocow007 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 2:03 pm

As far as OKC including draft picks to move CP3?

Before covid? Absolutely not, no way would they include draft picks to move CP3.
After covid? Not so sure.

OKC is a team in transition and they have a very tight budget (even before Covid) so they are likely more willing to deal CP3 than most teams. A lot will depend on what shakes out from here on through the time they have to start making that decision. I think there are clearly benefits to having CP3 on this team. Obviously that contract is a big drawback and could block not just free agent signings (hard right now) but also moves to gather assets by taking on contracts (if OKC is not willing to send an asset to the Knicks for absorbing CP3's contract it greatly diminishes the value he has to this team).
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,988

Post#57 » by Richard4444 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 2:36 pm

DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:He comes here I gurantee you he goes back to being injury prone

CP3 had an outlier healthy season.

Here, its likely he will not be so healthy:

1) One year older - There are few 35 years old players playing a large role in today's NBA. Melo, LeBron, Iggy, PJ Tucker, JJ Redick, Ariza, Gasol, Milsap, and Aldridge are the only 35y+ players that still can play large minutes.

2) CP3 had health issues in the past years. In 3 prior seasons, he only played 72% of the regular-season games.

3) The following season is likely to be rushed. More games in a smaller time window. More back to back games, less rest, and more injuries.

4) Thibs likes to overuse his best players.

5) CP3 is a really competitive guy and he plays always he can. He is not a load management kind of guy.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,836

Post#58 » by BowlRips » Tue Sep 8, 2020 2:44 pm

Plan A should be to use our cap space and owners big wallet to our advantage to eat salary and gain as many assets as possible.(Randle for Conley and draft considerations as an example)
As far as Plan B?
I don't know if theres something better then trading for CP3.
Using our cap space at this point to sign veterans to long term deals or even 1-2 year deals, will not be as fruitful for this franchise as trading for CP3.
He can completely elevate our reputation around the league and our young players.
2/85mil is obviously an albatross - but unless the plan is to be creative and get assets for space, I don't think signing FVV to a even 2/45mil contract and Bertans to a 2/40mil contract would be better long term for this franchise then bringing in CP3 to recreate our culture.
BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,836

Post#59 » by BowlRips » Tue Sep 8, 2020 2:47 pm

god shammgod wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
that never happens though unless the player asks for it. not that i would turn down the pick. but i wouldn't wait on it and risk them finding another deal. maybe ask for a couple 2nds and keep it moving. just get him gone.

i would literally call Charlotte and offer the same thing though...I think if we play our cards right we will be one of the few teams with cap space and can be a dumping ground for bigger $$$ contracts.

We need to play our cards right. Its not like there is going to be a team that magically is going to take 34 MM off the jazz hands. The only other team with substancial space is the hawks and we are in totally different situations because they want to win.

We need to play our cards right. I'm with you getting rid of Randle is tantalizing as f*ck. Just gotta be smart and we can do well here.

we're not though. we're taking 15 mill off their hand. randle cost them 20 and i doubt they have much interest in him as a player.

Don't sleep on what the value of $17* mil is in this environment.
And even though Randle is not what we thought we were getting, he would thrive as a 6th man in Utah
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by moocow007 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 2:47 pm

BowlRips wrote:Plan A should be to use our cap space and owners big wallet to our advantage to eat salary and gain as many assets as possible.(Randle for Conley and draft considerations as an example)
As far as Plan B?
I don't know if theres something better then trading for CP3.
Using our cap space at this point to sign veterans to long term deals or even 1-2 year deals, will not be as fruitful for this franchise as trading for CP3.
He can completely elevate our reputation around the league and our young players.
2/85mil is obviously an albatross - but unless the plan is to be creative and get assets for space, I don't think signing FVV to a even 2/45mil contract and Bertans to a 2/40mil contract would be better long term for this franchise then bringing in CP3 to recreate our culture.

Yeah I tend to agree and it's unlikely either player will take just those 2 year deals so that just puts more emphasis on what you said. Don't know that OKC would include any assets though.

Return to New York Knicks