ImageImageImageImageImage

its time to talk Chris Paul

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,035

Re: its time to talk Chris Paul 

Post#81 » by Reign23 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 6:06 pm

I think some contender who fell short this season makes a panic move and give up assets. Philly and Bucks are my favs.
formerly known as knickst4pe
BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,836

Post#82 » by BowlRips » Tue Sep 8, 2020 6:17 pm

Let me ask this question..
If the Knicks were too eat CP3s contract and not send anything at all back.. how many draft picks could they get?
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,286

Post#83 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue Sep 8, 2020 6:19 pm

Reign23 wrote:I think some contender who fell short this season makes a panic move and give up assets. Philly and Bucks are my favs.

The Bucks will definitely do it with Giannis free agency coming up, this is one of those franchise killer type trades that small market teams do to retain their stars.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#84 » by Sark » Tue Sep 8, 2020 6:27 pm

BowlRips wrote:Let me ask this question..
If the Knicks were too eat CP3s contract and not send anything at all back.. how many draft picks could they get?

Let me get this straight. You think that the Thunder will just give away Paul for free, without sending anything to OKC?
BowlRips
Lead Assistant

Post#85 » by BowlRips » Tue Sep 8, 2020 6:30 pm

Sark wrote:

Let me get this straight. You think that the Thunder will just give away Paul for free, without sending anything to OKC?

No. They are getting back $40million in salary flexibility for the next 2 seasons. A seasoned GM like Presti would salivate at that notion. How many assets do you think he could squeeze from other teams around the league from having that flexibility?
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,988

Post#86 » by Richard4444 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 6:32 pm

Dantares wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:
Dantares wrote:I want to see how much the cap goes down. If the cap goes from 115 million to 100 million then CP3's contract is 41% of the salary cap

to put it in perspective if Paul was making 41% of the cap this year it would translate to:

41% of 115 million = 47.15 million

41% of the cap is insane for a declining 36 year old PG. I dont see how OKC wouldnt have to throw in assets to get rid of him

But OKC just owes 105M (without Galo and Noel). If cap goes to 100M, they will have to spend 90M (minimum) in some way. Dennis is an easily movable 17M contract. Why do they will give assets to move CP3 contract?

If they let gallo walk and they trade schroeder to get under the cap then what the hell is the point? You just let two 19-20ppg scores go so can keep cp3. Depleting your talent to keep cp3 makes no sense as they probably wouldnt even make the playoffs if schroeder and gallo left.

If that actually happens(it wont) then that is still good for the knicks because we can make a push for schroeder and gallo. We need a pg and a stretch 4.

But they can keep their draft picks. Does not make sense giving away picks to get rid of CP3.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Sark
RealGM

Post#87 » by Sark » Tue Sep 8, 2020 6:49 pm

BowlRips wrote:
Sark wrote:

No. They are getting back $40million in salary flexibility for the next 2 seasons. A seasoned GM like Presti would salivate at that notion. How many assets do you think he could squeeze from other teams around the league from having that flexibility?

Well first of all the Knicks don't have $40 million in free cap space, and second of all why would the Thunder give away a player for free when they can get assets for him from another team?
BowlRips
Lead Assistant

Post#88 » by BowlRips » Tue Sep 8, 2020 7:05 pm

Sark wrote:
BowlRips wrote:
Sark wrote:

Well first of all the Knicks don't have $40 million in free cap space, and second of all why would the Thunder give away a player for free when they can get assets for him from another team?

a) they do
b) what "assets" are they getting for him? Bucks offering Bledsoe on a 3 year 65mil deal and a future first is prob the most they'll get.
Sark
RealGM

Post#89 » by Sark » Tue Sep 8, 2020 7:39 pm

BowlRips wrote:
Sark wrote:
BowlRips wrote:

a) they do
b) what "assets" are they getting for him? Bucks offering Bledsoe on a 3 year 65mil deal and a future first is prob the most they'll get.

So you're suggesting the Knicks decline every team option, use almost all the cap space to absorb CP3, and have almost no money to fill out the rest of the roster. Basically run out a team of Randle, Mitch, CP3, RJ, and Frank/Knox with Iggy and DSJ as the bench?
BowlRips
Lead Assistant

Post#90 » by BowlRips » Tue Sep 8, 2020 8:25 pm

Sark wrote:
BowlRips wrote:
Sark wrote:

a) they do

So you're suggesting the Knicks decline every team option, use almost all the cap space to absorb CP3, and have almost no money to fill out the rest of the roster. Basically run out a team of Randle, Mitch, CP3, RJ, and Frank/Knox with Iggy and DSJ as the bench?

I'm suggesting it as an option.. In that scenario I would expect to get some draft capital in return.
How else are you using the cap space? Taking on salary dump? splitting it between FVV/Bertans?
Sark
RealGM

Post#91 » by Sark » Tue Sep 8, 2020 8:38 pm

BowlRips wrote:
Sark wrote:
BowlRips wrote:
a) they do

I'm suggesting it as an option.. In that scenario I would expect to get some draft capital in return.
How else are you using the cap space? Taking on salary dump? splitting it between FVV/Bertans?

Well it's a non starter from OKC's perspective. They are not going to give away a player for free, just so they can have cap space, when they are not even over the cap, and especially not for a player that has pretty high value around the league, and can fetch a nice return.

And yes, we should use our cap space to absorb bad contracts in exchange for picks, just like we should have done last year. We should be trying to build from within, through the draft, at least for another year or two. By year 4 of RJ Barret's rookie contract, we should then assess where we are, and if we should be trying to push for the playoffs by acquiring high priced free agents.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,311

Post#92 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Sep 8, 2020 8:54 pm

Sark wrote:
BowlRips wrote:
Sark wrote:

Well it's a non starter from OKC's perspective. They are not going to give away a player for free, just so they can have cap space, when they are not even over the cap, and especially not for a player that has pretty high value around the league, and can fetch a nice return.

And yes, we should use our cap space to absorb bad contracts in exchange for picks, just like we should have done last year. We should be trying to build from within, through the draft, at least for another year or two. By year 4 of RJ Barret's rookie contract, we should then assess where we are, and if we should be trying to push for the playoffs by acquiring high priced free agents.

I think the assumption in these CPaul fantasy scenarios Randle is moved elsewhere, though of course money would be coming back there also.

The RuPaul fantasy scenarios are quite different, though also apparently involve giving and receiving.
BowlRips
Lead Assistant

Post#93 » by BowlRips » Tue Sep 8, 2020 8:56 pm

Sark wrote:
BowlRips wrote:
Sark wrote:

CP3 doesnt hold high value around the league because of his contract - that's the point.
The Bucks are a serious contender for him - for them to have a shot at him they need to come up with $32mil in outgoing salary.
That's Bledsoe and Brook on a long term deal and George Hill.
Do the Thunder want those players and salary commitments back?
Do the Bucks even want to part with these 3 players let alone future draft assets do get it done?

Covid-19 is going to be a massive factor in this, with the financial implications around the league.
Today, we don't know what the impact is.
But there is surely a scenario where OKC would be ELATED to shed $85mil off the books within the next 2 years.
When push comes to shove, there maybe a value to US for giving them that benefit - that's all I'm saying
BowlRips
Lead Assistant

Post#94 » by BowlRips » Tue Sep 8, 2020 9:15 pm

I'm hoping with Brock Aller that we start being creative in the moves we make.
There are so many ways to skin this cat.
The old regime had the approach of looking at things at face value and thus has been disadvantaged.
Our cap space and future draft capital with Covid-19, we should be in great position
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,339

Post#95 » by rajajackal » Tue Sep 8, 2020 9:23 pm

believe it or not i don't want to tank in 20-21. that is simply unhelpful for our organization's trajectory at this point. we've tanked, we've made our selections, and now it's time to expand the strategy to be more kinetic than wallowing around in the mid-lottery (our most bulletproof tanks yielded the #4 and #3 picks). i honestly believe in this front office/coaching staff and don't want to see turmoil and upheaval again so soon. i'm rolling with whatever decisions they make in year 1. if next year's draft is so deep, we can probably find a way to set ourselves up to be players in trades. who knows if there's another GSW or Wolves in the top 5?
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,785

Post#96 » by spree8 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 10:39 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:In theory, I love the idea of Chris Paul on the Knicks. He fits perfectly alongside RJ and Mitch. He’s the ideal guy to help establish a culture around his and RJ’s competitive spirit. He brings legitimate veteran leadership.

The issue is, we still lack elite talent as part of our rebuild, and the best way to acquire it is through the draft. And next year’s draft class is projected to be talent-heavy.

Chris Paul makes us win games. What we need is to lose games, for one extra year at least.

I prefer we go for Conley. Helps the young guys but doesn’t make us too competitive.

I was all for Cp3, but this post makes me rethink it lol. Good points... I’m on board with Conley if Utah really does wanna get rid of him. On to the Cade sweepstakes.
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,206

Post#97 » by aq_ua » Wed Sep 9, 2020 12:14 am

spree8 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:In theory, I love the idea of Chris Paul on the Knicks. He fits perfectly alongside RJ and Mitch. He’s the ideal guy to help establish a culture around his and RJ’s competitive spirit. He brings legitimate veteran leadership.

The issue is, we still lack elite talent as part of our rebuild, and the best way to acquire it is through the draft. And next year’s draft class is projected to be talent-heavy.

Chris Paul makes us win games. What we need is to lose games, for one extra year at least.

I prefer we go for Conley. Helps the young guys but doesn’t make us too competitive.

I was all for Cp3, but this post makes me rethink it lol. Good points... I’m on board with Conley if Utah really does wanna get rid of him. On to the Cade sweepstakes.

I think we'll have competition for CP3, and I'm looking at the Bucks specifically. We could end up facilitating a deal and help bridge the gap in terms of cap space. We could potentially absorb Bledsoe but pass him onto Chicago for something like Thad Young / Kris Dunn and most of all the right to move up 4 spots in the draft.
BowlRips
Lead Assistant

Post#98 » by BowlRips » Wed Sep 9, 2020 12:40 am

aq_ua wrote:
spree8 wrote:

I think we'll have competition for CP3, and I'm looking at the Bucks specifically. We could end up facilitating a deal and help bridge the gap in terms of cap space. We could potentially absorb Bledsoe but pass him onto Chicago for something like Thad Young / Kris Dunn and most of all the right to move up 4 spots in the draft.

Wouldn’t be the first time CP3 let Leon broker a deal
BowlRips
Lead Assistant

Post#99 » by BowlRips » Wed Sep 9, 2020 12:49 am

Sark wrote:
BowlRips wrote:
Sark wrote:

a) they do

This lineup..

CP3/ #8
Frank/ Bullock / Dot
RJ/ #27 / Iggy
Melo/Knox
Mitch/ Randle

Brings 2 scenarios
1. They played well cause the young guys are playing well and developing properly
2. Team sucks - we get a top 5 pick

Sounds like a win win. Plus the credibility the team will have in the league.
BowlRips
Lead Assistant

Post#100 » by BowlRips » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:15 am

As I was saying

Read on Twitter

Return to New York Knicks