ImageImageImageImageImage

Kevin Durant says he wanted 'chill' Brooklyn instead of being Knicks 'savior'

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Re: Kevin Durant says he wanted 'chill' Brooklyn instead of being Knicks 'savior' 

Post#201 » by Synciere » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:16 pm

Meanwhile 10 pages in and not a single Nets' fan has gotten a STFU or GTFO..
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Re: Kevin Durant says he wanted 'chill' Brooklyn instead of being Knicks 'savior' 

Post#202 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:50 pm

Mecca wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:
Bruh...It ain't Manhattan vs Brooklyn.

It's NYC vs whatever they're trying to brand themselves as.

I know but I’ve spent a lot of time in Brooklyn these last few years because of work. I’ve been all over that borough pretty much. Heck my office(pre Covid) was a short walk from the Barclays. To be clear when I said it’s not that great I was referring to downtown Brooklyn specifically. I don’t want the Brooklynites coming down on me with full force, lol.

I mean I live in Bed Stuy and love it. The energy way cooler than Manhatten TO ME

BedStuy is cool. I worked in that area quite a bit at a prior job. Lots of history and some beautiful brownstones. Kinda similar to Harlem. I'm over the city in general though which is why I moved to Jersey lol.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,166

Post#203 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:39 pm

Synciere wrote:We shyt on the Knicks ALL THE FCUKING TIME, but now we're going to judge KD for not wanting to join this shytshow?!? LOL yall are hilarious.

We change coaches and executives every year and a half, we're the epitome of a poorly run organization, we have a fanbase that is STARVED for success and wants a chip we haven't had for 50 years, and we're insulting a guy for not wanting that pressure. Most of yall aint built for the pressure of NY and yall want to talk shyt.... I can't.

The thing is this: KD wants it all. He wants the rings and the love and recognition. He wants respect. He wants the love of NYC in particular. There are even articles about how he had so much fun playing ball in NYC with the locals.

KD never learned his lesson. He went to GS, bandwagoned for rings, and got annoyed when the Warriors fans never embraced him like they did Steph, Klay and Draymond, and got perplexed when he never got acceptance and respect from regular fans.

He wanted the love of NYC, and yet he chose to go to the ... Nets? The Knicks were definitely harder, but he's KD. If he wanted to own NYC...then there was only one option. He tried to have it all with the Nets...he ain't ever gonna get it. He should have chilled with a team that was closer to championship contention.

Glad that KD never came here, but you can't say he doesn't have the talent to lead a team to championship contention. Maybe not the mentality, but definitely the talent.
Synciere
Head Coach

Post#204 » by Synciere » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:20 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
Synciere wrote:We shyt on the Knicks ALL THE FCUKING TIME, but now we're going to judge KD for not wanting to join this shytshow?!? LOL yall are hilarious.

We change coaches and executives every year and a half, we're the epitome of a poorly run organization, we have a fanbase that is STARVED for success and wants a chip we haven't had for 50 years, and we're insulting a guy for not wanting that pressure. Most of yall aint built for the pressure of NY and yall want to talk shyt.... I can't.

The thing is this: KD wants it all. He wants the rings and the love and recognition. He wants respect. He wants the love of NYC in particular. There are even articles about how he had so much fun playing ball in NYC with the locals.

KD never learned his lesson. He went to GS, bandwagoned for rings, and got annoyed when the Warriors fans never embraced him like they did Steph, Klay and Draymond, and got perplexed when he never got acceptance and respect from regular fans.

He wanted the love of NYC, and yet he chose to go to the ... Nets? The Knicks were definitely harder, but he's KD. If he wanted to own NYC...then there was only one option. He tried to have it all with the Nets...he ain't ever gonna get it. He should have chilled with a team that was closer to championship contention.

Glad that KD never came here, but you can't say he doesn't have the talent to lead a team to championship contention. Maybe not the mentality, but definitely the talent.

My guy, you're projecting. That's okay; it's what we do as fans sometimes, but it doesn't make our opinions and takes any more true.

We don't know that KD wants it all. Matter of fact, he's let it be known he didn't care for a lot of what was going on in Golden State and he doesn't want the burden of resurrecting a franchise. He never said he wants NY to love him, just that he wanted to live in Brooklyn, which many of the people his age and younger look at as the cooler part of living in New York now. No one cares for Midtown anymore. He never said anything about owning the city. That's us projecting our wishes on players.

Like I said, look at this board and how we talk about our own team. You can't blame us because the product is what it is, but there are literally dozens of reasons KD shouldn't have wanted to come here. No one is looking for the harder route in life. Most of us are working hard to make things easier on ourselves and our loved ones. The smarter, yes smarter, play was always for him to go to Brooklyn. As Knicks' fans we should own that.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,166

Post#205 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:41 pm

Synciere wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:

My guy, you're projecting. That's okay; it's what we do as fans sometimes, but it doesn't make our opinions and takes any more true.

We don't know that KD wants it all. Matter of fact, he's let it be known he didn't care for a lot of what was going on in Golden State and he doesn't want the burden of resurrecting a franchise. He never said he wants NY to love him, just that he wanted to live in Brooklyn, which many of the people his age and younger look at as the cooler part of living in New York now. No one cares for Midtown anymore. He never said anything about owning the city. That's us projecting our wishes on players.

Like I said, look at this board and how we talk about our own team. You can't blame us because the product is what it is, but there are literally dozens of reasons KD shouldn't have wanted to come here. No one is looking for the harder route in life. Most of us are working hard to make things easier on ourselves and our loved ones. The smarter, yes smarter, play was always for him to go to Brooklyn. As Knicks' fans we should own that.

When analyzing KD, it's easier to look at Durant's actions, rather than his words. He'll say one thing, and then go his Twitter burner account to bash his teammates. The articles all pointed to it...he wanted love in GS.

Here's one source...Ethan Strauss, who wrote a book:
"You did not have to be a star or rising star to draw KD's envious ire. When former Warriors bench scorer Marreese Speights returned to Oracle Arena, he got a hearty ovation from the crowd. "Mo Buckets" had been a fan favorite, in part due to his tremendous shooting streaks and also due to the broad smile he beamed when riding a wave. He wasn't a flawless player but his enthusiasm was infectious and the fans were nostalgic for it.

KD, who once complained to a Warriors fan account over Twitter Direct Message that Speights was among the players more accepted by Warriors fans than he, was not pleased.

Now you might just say that oh, it's news media, one source, one instance, blah blah bias. But there are lots of sources and articles about this...look it up, 66 points at Ruckers. He wanted the love so badly. If you choose to ignore all of it, then who's projecting?

As for the fan hate and discourse, it's real. After four years of getting made fun of in GS, it wears at you, sure. But like I said, if KD wanted love, there's one way to go. He chose the New Jersey Nets cause he wanted to own NYC and he wanted an easier path. But a guy with KD's talent never needed the easier path. He only wanted it. And ironically, there is no easy path to that love.
Synciere
Head Coach

Post#206 » by Synciere » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:01 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
Synciere wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:

When analyzing KD, it's easier to look at Durant's actions, rather than his words. He'll say one thing, and then go his Twitter burner account to bash his teammates. The articles all pointed to it...he wanted love in GS.

Here's one source...Ethan Strauss, who wrote a book:
"You did not have to be a star or rising star to draw KD's envious ire. When former Warriors bench scorer Marreese Speights returned to Oracle Arena, he got a hearty ovation from the crowd. "Mo Buckets" had been a fan favorite, in part due to his tremendous shooting streaks and also due to the broad smile he beamed when riding a wave. He wasn't a flawless player but his enthusiasm was infectious and the fans were nostalgic for it.

KD, who once complained to a Warriors fan account over Twitter Direct Message that Speights was among the players more accepted by Warriors fans than he, was not pleased.

Now you might just say that oh, it's news media, one source, one instance, blah blah bias. But there are lots of sources and articles about this...look it up, 66 points at Ruckers. He wanted the love so badly. If you choose to ignore all of it, then who's projecting?

As for the fan hate and discourse, it's real. After four years of getting made fun of in GS, it wears at you, sure. But like I said, if KD wanted love, there's one way to go. He chose the New Jersey Nets cause he wanted to own NYC and he wanted an easier path. But a guy with KD's talent never needed the easier path. He only wanted it. And ironically, there is no easy path to that love.

All that verbiage and again, that quote has NOTHING to do with his decision in free agency and why he did/didn't choose the Knicks. We're all fan(atic)s on this site, to spend our time posting about it. You're right that there are plenty of quotes from KD and the media, but you're wrong to imply it's all blah blah blah. You're wrong to bring in the Rucker where every single legend has played as some proof of a desire to play in NY. Guys want to play at the Rucker but would never want to play for the Knicks or this organization. There was only speculation as to where KD would play, but only recently do we get to the why. You're projecting to imply anything else lol...

He chose the Nets, from his own mouth, because he wanted to live in Brooklyn and didn't want the Knicks. He wanted to chill in Brooklyn and play ball; that's it. He didn't want the circus that would come with being on the Knicks. He didn't believe in this organization. He didn't want the burden of being the Knicks' savior. Based on our organizational history, that was SMART, not weak lol. To say he wanted 'love' is your opinion with no basis. Mind you, Brooklyn isn't some easy path either; there's literally no guarantee he wins a chip there.

All that said, as soon as we're good again nobody will be talking about no damn Nets. This is a Knicks' city, and always will be. Let the Nets have their moment. We can always let them know they're the **** up stepbrother another time...
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#207 » by Paradise » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:39 pm

KD did a Nike event downtown Brooklyn in 2013 after signing with Roc Nation...

Read on Twitter

Earlier this month, a video surfaced of Kevin Durant crushing this kid's hope of being able to brag "I hit a jumper on K.D. Come see me!" at the playground by swatting the hell out of his shot. He did this to two more kids' too.
But it turns out Durant is actually for the children.

He showed up at Downtown Brooklyn's House of Hoops as part of his "Summer Is Serious" campaign and hung out afterward to serve ice cream. It's not just the fact that he was just serving ice cream; it's the fact that he was serving free ice cream.

https://www.complex.com/sports/2013/08/kevin-durant-ice-cream-brooklyn

In 2016, KD and Nash started off-season workouts with Caris Levert and Sean Kilpatrick.

”Did Durant have any words of wisdom to help him move on ... despite the Nets poor season?

“‘Just be ready. Be ready for that moment.’ We don’t get a lot of TV games or anything like that, but he just said, when we do, ‘make sure you’re ready for it; make sure you’re ready to play your best when the spotlight is on you.’”

“All it took was one phone call.

One phone call and suddenly Caris LeVert and Sean Kilpatrick were headed out to California to train with Kevin Durant and Steve Nash. Nets Director of Player Development and KD’s former shooting coach, Adam Harrington, helped set it up.”

In 2019, D’Angelo Russell gave KD a tour...ironically.

Kevin Durant will get a tour of Brooklyn from D’Angelo Russell. The Nets can only hope their star guard gets in some successful recruiting along the way.

In Durant’s new video series “Fly By,” he’ll get a personal tour from three players of three different cities: San Francisco, Los Angeles and Brooklyn, which will get last licks. Durant will not be with Russell on the tour[/b, but the walkthrough will air as part of the Warriors star’s series.

“Oh, man, I had no idea about that first of all. Listen, I really don’t want to comment on it,” Nets coach Kenny Atkinson said, careful to never utter Durant’s name.
”There’s some players in this league who are friendly with each other, and if you want to get together and take a tour of Brooklyn, that’s great.”

https://nypost.com/2019/03/23/dangelo-russell-to-give-kevin-durant-grand-tour-of-brooklyn/
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,968

Post#208 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:49 pm

Would it have been cool if we got Durant and Irving? Sure, but we didn't. There Knick fans moved on.

This topic alone shows just how irrelevant the Net fan base is, they literally have to go to other boards to have a conversation. I'm still waiting for the Brooklyn take over, that was literally ten years ago and the fan base has grown by what, one fan? The Nets could win the next five championships and it still won't matter, the fan base is non existent. Even when Irving and Durant come back next year, it'll be the same 20 Net fans posting on RealGM. Nets couldn't make an actual impact in NY if they tried, Knicks have been so bad and they couldn't do anything to capitalize on it, a damn shame.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,375
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#209 » by BKlutch » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:55 pm

I think all Knicks fans are aware why FA's don't come here. But this is not about that - it's only about what KD said, and how he is not likely to find things are how he expected them to be.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,650

Post#210 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:47 pm

Can't wait for the Nets first game in MSG that KD plays. Should be fun.
Free Palestine
symbiotic
Sixth Man
And1: 705

Post#211 » by symbiotic » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:34 am

Brooklyn is still way, way WAYYY better than like Detroit or Indianapolis or Portland
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#212 » by DarkXaero » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:20 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:Would it have been cool if we got Durant and Irving? Sure, but we didn't. There Knick fans moved on.

This topic alone shows just how irrelevant the Net fan base is, they literally have to go to other boards to have a conversation. I'm still waiting for the Brooklyn take over, that was literally ten years ago and the fan base has grown by what, one fan? The Nets could win the next five championships and it still won't matter, the fan base is non existent. Even when Irving and Durant come back next year, it'll be the same 20 Net fans posting on RealGM. Nets couldn't make an actual impact in NY if they tried, Knicks have been so bad and they couldn't do anything to capitalize on it, a damn shame.
We still have our conversations and debates on our board, my guy, I don't see the problem with trying to have dialogue with another fanbase. If other team's fans come to our board without the intent to troll, we aren't automatically hostile to them, and it's cool to get another fanbase's viewpoint. And that is basically the gist of it, it is trying to see another fanbase's viewpoint on a topic.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,968

Post#213 » by Manhattan Project » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:36 pm

DarkXaero wrote:We still have our conversations and debates on our board, my guy, I don't see the problem with trying to have dialogue with another fanbase. If other team's fans come to our board without the intent to troll, we aren't automatically hostile to them, and it's cool to get another fanbase's viewpoint. And that is basically the gist of it, it is trying to see another fanbase's viewpoint on a topic.

I didn’t bash the fans at all, my point is that Brooklyn’s fan base is non existent. It wasn’t hostile, it was the brutal harsh truth. Can you honestly say that the New Jersey Nets ever had a presence here when they were going to the finals? Can you honestly say it’s changed at all since the move to Brooklyn?
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#214 » by DarkXaero » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:10 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:We still have our conversations and debates on our board, my guy, I don't see the problem with trying to have dialogue with another fanbase. If other team's fans come to our board without the intent to troll, we aren't automatically hostile to them, and it's cool to get another fanbase's viewpoint. And that is basically the gist of it, it is trying to see another fanbase's viewpoint on a topic.

I didn’t bash the fans at all, my point is that Brooklyn’s fan base is non existent. It wasn’t hostile, it was the brutal harsh truth. Can you honestly say that the New Jersey Nets ever had a presence here when they were going to the finals? Can you honestly say it’s changed at all since the move to Brooklyn?
The NJ Nets didn't but things will change if and when Brooklyn becomes a contender. And that's how it works, winning attracts fans, especially when it's big names like KD and Kyrie leading the charge. NYC is massive, and there is plenty of room for two basketball teams. The Knicks have their massive, die hard fanbase, I get that, but not everyone in NYC will feel the same way, and things will change if/when Nets start being a contender. American sports culture is full of glory hunting or fair weather fans, it's what we see happen every time. Just look at the growth of Warriors fan base before and after.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,325

Post#215 » by iLLmatic860 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:47 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:Would it have been cool if we got Durant and Irving? Sure, but we didn't. There Knick fans moved on.

We still have our conversations and debates on our board, my guy, I don't see the problem with trying to have dialogue with another fanbase. If other team's fans come to our board without the intent to troll, we aren't automatically hostile to them, and it's cool to get another fanbase's viewpoint. And that is basically the gist of it, it is trying to see another fanbase's viewpoint on a topic.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Lmao it might be best to not give kd any attention anymore. Hes gonna be irrelevant in a few years. That achilles will destroy his career
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,345

Post#216 » by rajajackal » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:29 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:

The NJ Nets didn't but things will change if and when Brooklyn becomes a contender. And that's how it works, winning attracts fans, especially when it's big names like KD and Kyrie leading the charge. NYC is massive, and there is plenty of room for two basketball teams. The Knicks have their massive, die hard fanbase, I get that, but not everyone in NYC will feel the same way, and things will change if/when Nets start being a contender. American sports culture is full of glory hunting or fair weather fans, it's what we see happen every time. Just look at the growth of Warriors fan base before and after.

is that what you're looking forward to? all the lifelong diehard basketball fans of NYC rooting against your team while bandwagoners fill the seats? :lol: ay man competing is competing i ain't gonna knock ya
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#217 » by DarkXaero » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:44 pm

rajajackal wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:

is that what you're looking forward to? all the lifelong diehard basketball fans of NYC rooting against your team while bandwagoners fill the seats? :lol: ay man competing is competing i ain't gonna knock ya
I'm looking forward to winning, not fanbase measuring contests. Winning will attract new fans, whether they're bandwagoners or eventual lifelong fans. Either way, its not a priority, competing for a championship is. I also don't understand why basketball fans in NYC need to root against the Nets. Nets and Knicks are on different timelines, its not like they're both competing for the championship at the same time, and historically, there has never been much of a rivalry.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#218 » by DarkXaero » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:46 pm

DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Lmao it might be best to not give kd any attention anymore. Hes gonna be irrelevant in a few years. That achilles will destroy his career
Not sure why you're quoting me for that, but I don't see a problem with what is said there. He is constantly asked questions about the Knicks to this day because the media created that narrative in his final year at Golden State, what else is he supposed to say?
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,325

Post#219 » by iLLmatic860 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:53 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Not sure why you're quoting me for that, but I don't see a problem with what is said there. He is constantly asked questions about the Knicks to this day because the media created that narrative in his final year at Golden State, what else is he supposed to say?

Didnt mean to quote you

He knows what hes going to get asked when he goes on these interviews. Either stop going on these podcasts or tell them no Knicks questions. beforehand
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#220 » by Paradise » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:51 am

DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Didnt mean to quote you

He knows what hes going to get asked when he goes on these interviews. Either stop going on these podcasts or tell them no Knicks questions. beforehand

Or Knick fans could sit there and take the same energy they dish out? That is a super sensitive mindset.

If he can freely speak his mind on the Warriors departure or OKC departure when asked, what have the Knicks accomplished at all for a future Hall of Famer to be fearful to answer Knick related questions?

Return to New York Knicks