ImageImageImageImageImage

Marcus Morris #5 in net rating in the playoffs. Why is he hardly talked about as a possible free agent?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Marcus Morris #5 in net rating in the playoffs. Why is he hardly talked about as a possible free agent? 

Post#1 » by Dantares » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:08 pm

Why is there so much talk about CP3, Russ, Bertans, FVV? but hardly anyone mentions bringing back our guy Marcus Morris? he brings toughness and defense, he's a volume 3 point shooter with high percentages, he can create his own shot, playoff experience. I've never heard that he didnt get along with any of his teammates in NYK or that his teammates criticized his style of play like they criticized Randle. Why dont we bring him back and play him at his natural position PF like the Clippers are doing. Clippers are probably going to pay 6th man of the year Montrezl Harrell rather than outbid a team for Marcus Morris services.

Net Rating
AD 10.8
Bron 10.1
Hayward 10
Zubac 9.9
Morris 9.2

Gordon hayward only played 1 game so Morris should really be #4 on that list. Anyways what is the reason you would not want Marcus Morris back? I think he would be a perfect compliment stretch 4 for Mitch and RJ and would help both of them get better.
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,888

Re: Marcus Morris #5 in net rating in the playoffs. Why is he hardly talked about as a possible free agent? 

Post#2 » by Stannis » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:45 pm

Dont the Clippers have a Team Option?
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,888

Re: Marcus Morris #5 in net rating in the playoffs. Why is he hardly talked about as a possible free agent? 

Post#3 » by Stannis » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:48 pm

nvm. No team option. I think Morris will look for a longterm deal now.
Free Palestine
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,768

Post#4 » by spree8 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:48 pm

Eh, don’t see him leaving LA
Garbagelo
Veteran
And1: 3,164

Post#5 » by Garbagelo » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:53 pm

so he can play hero ball again and take touches away from the youth that need it?
Dantares
Head Coach

Post#6 » by Dantares » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:01 pm

Garbagelo wrote:so he can play hero ball again and take touches away from the youth that need it?

wait that? He scored 19.6 ppg on 14.8 shots for us playing out of position. Less than 15 shots per game and that efficiency doesnt scream chucker to me. If anything this team is looking to build around RJ and putting the ball in his hands. I see RJ becoming a 20ppg scorer regardless next season. Morris would be a nice complimentary player
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

Dantares
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Dantares » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:07 pm

spree8 wrote:Eh, don’t see him leaving LA

Well they are already at 114 million and if Harrell adds 20 million to make 134 million that puts them only 5 million dollars under the luxury tax if the cap were to stay the same. I know their owner is rich but he'd be paying Morris Max type money if they pay the tax.

gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,263

Post#8 » by gavran » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:11 pm

The guy was ejected in his first pre-season game with the Knicks. That's all you need to know about the guy.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,228

Post#9 » by DOT » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:22 pm

He wants a big contract

That's why he signed with us over the Spurs, cause nobody was offering him the money he wanted, so he went to a bad team he could score a lot of points for and inflate his market value

Not that there's anything wrong with that, and we did get a pick out of him, but he's gonna want a big contract, and we shouldn't be giving a lot of money to a 31 year old role player when our best players are 19 and 20, and we're not good.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,737

Post#10 » by Fat » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:37 pm

Knicks plan

Keep resigning Morris and trading him for a pick in the 20”s at deadline
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
Garbagelo
Veteran

Post#11 » by Garbagelo » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:46 pm

Dantares wrote:
Garbagelo wrote:so he can play hero ball again and take touches away from the youth that need it?

wait that? He scored 19.6 ppg on 14.8 shots for us playing out of position. Less than 15 shots per game and that efficiency doesnt scream chucker to me. If anything this team is looking to build around RJ and putting the ball in his hands. I see RJ becoming a 20ppg scorer regardless next season. Morris would be a nice complimentary player

While playing iso ball all day

HARD pass. Diamond hard.
Dantares
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Dantares » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:06 pm

Garbagelo wrote:
Dantares wrote:

HARD pass. Diamond hard.

9.8% iso rate with the Knicks is pretty low for a leading scorer. Morris is def more of a catch and shoot player. I mean if you thought he was shooting those 3's off the dribble then he would have steph curry skills. He cannot do that

https://stats.nba.com/players/isolation/?SeasonType=Regular%20Season

Dantares
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Dantares » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:11 pm

K-DOT wrote:He wants a big contract

That's why he signed with us over the Spurs, cause nobody was offering him the money he wanted, so he went to a bad team he could score a lot of points for and inflate his market value

Not that there's anything wrong with that, and we did get a pick out of him, but he's gonna want a big contract, and we shouldn't be giving a lot of money to a 31 year old role player when our best players are 19 and 20, and we're not good.

did you mean money or years? we have to spend up to 90% of the cap anyways. so i disagree with the money aspect. If its about years then I agree but I've read in the media most free agents that have player options are going to opt in and the unrestricted players are going to settle for 1 yr deals if the cap goes down(which is likely due to the pandemic).

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,228

Post#14 » by DOT » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:15 pm

Dantares wrote:

did you mean money or years? we have to spend up to 90% of the cap anyways. so i disagree with the money aspect. If its about years then I agree but I've read in the media most free agents that have player options are going to opt in and the unrestricted players are going to settle for 1 yr deals if the cap goes down(which is likely due to the pandemic).

Both

And he's 31 coming off a career year

He's not gonna chance it again
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Garbagelo
Veteran

Post#15 » by Garbagelo » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:20 pm

Dantares wrote:
Garbagelo wrote:
Dantares wrote:

HARD pass. Diamond hard.

9.8% iso rate with the Knicks is pretty low for a leading scorer. Morris is def more of a catch and shoot player. I mean if you thought he was shooting those 3's off the dribble then he would have steph curry skills. He cannot do that

https://stats.nba.com/players/isolation/?SeasonType=Regular%20Season

it's also funny that you call him a catch and shoot player when he clearly wasn't that for the Knicks (51% FGs unassisted, 71% 2pFGs unassisted; both highest of career on any team)

those iso usage stats are misleading friend

kej718
Sixth Man
And1: 499

Post#16 » by kej718 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:06 pm

:lol: Imagine him, Melo, and Gallinari all coming back after we traded them
I don't even care anymore. :nonono:
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,912

Post#17 » by god shammgod » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:23 am

he's old so signing him is not a thing to do but he's been pretty impressive. for a guy at his age to play like he did when he's been regulated to a role his whole career. he played at just under an all-star level this year. he was the only guy besides mitch that was a statistically positive player for us.

what you're also seeing though is that the clippers much vaunted bench has been a disappointment. and he and zubac have not been.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,592

Post#18 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:31 am

Meh. It's good to have a veteran go-to scorer to take some of the presure off of the kids. That way they can just play ball without having to try to do too much, i.e. carry the team. We have Bullock coming back. Signing one vet forward who can shoot is not a bad idea.
Free Palestine
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,393

Post#19 » by dakomish23 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:41 am

Dantares wrote:

We don’t have to spend up to 90%. The diff just gets split up amongst the players if we don’t.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/11/hoops-rumors-glossary-salary-floor.html
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,393

Post#20 » by dakomish23 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:45 am

He’s going to be in heavy demand. He can somewhat guard the big wings that dominate the league and he can shoot, plus has some ISO scoring ability.

These guys are very sought after. Wouldn’t be surprised if LAC gives him a pretty 1 year pay day with a team option for a later date.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit

Return to New York Knicks