ImageImageImageImageImage

2019-2020 College/Draft thread IX (Knicks own #8 pick, 11/18 DRAFT) - Picking 8 who do you NOT want???

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Who do you NOT want the knicks to pick at 8?

Killian Hayes
3%
Tyrese Haliburton
8%
Onyeka Okongwu
9%
Cole Anthony
18%
Kira Lewis
3%
Obi Toppin
21%
Devin Vassell
3%
Isaac Okoro
6%
Aleksej Pokuševski
25%
Aaron Nesmith
7%

Total votes: 120

Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,266

Re: 2019-2020 College/Draft thread IX (Knicks own #8 pick, 11/18 DRAFT) - Picking 8 who do you NOT want??? 

Post#1161 » by Oscirus » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:23 am

I am so easily convinced. Dont know where this dude is slated, but Id take him with the late first. Yea I know he likely wont be that late

Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
HerSports85
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 28,827

Re: 2019-2020 College/Draft thread IX (Knicks own #8 pick, 11/18 DRAFT) - Picking 8 who do you NOT want??? 

Post#1162 » by HerSports85 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:29 am

DaGawd wrote:Okoro or BUST

I honestly think Okoro will be a great fit with the warriors

Steph
Klay
Okoro
Draymond
BAF: Chicago Bulls
2023 In-season tournament Champs
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,126

Post#1163 » by moocow007 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:29 am

Angryfatboy wrote:
Read on Twitter

Another guy with some good upside (But needs to work on shooting)

That’s like theme of this draft all these guys even the top prospects do not come equipped with good shooting ability and the guys who can actually shoot are more so late lottery ish - teens picks.

Where is the guy that can already convincingly shoot but also has a high upside? Lol

There isn't any. That's what folks need to realize. Also shooting is not the end all be all. The Warriors didn't win championships with 3 point shooting (which is something that folks appear to keep thinking), they won by being able to score more points than the other team by creating easy shots across the board. The Knicks biggest problem the past several years has not been 3 point shooting. It's been inefficient and ineffective offense all over the place. Adding 3 point shooters isn't going to help unless those 3 point shooters can actually create their own open shots and looks AND create better shot opportunities for everyone else. Those types that can are guys like Steph Curry, Luka Doncic, Dame Lillard, etc. Or basically guys that don't exactly grow on trees and that can be found even at the 1st spot in most drafts (forget about thin weak drafts like this one). So once we accept that we ain't finding those types in this draft, what is more important? A 3 point shooter or a guy that can held the Knicks team offense be more efficient by doing things like...oh...passing, drawing defenders, shot creation, etc? Another way to look at this...Julius Randle's biggest problem last season wasn't not being able to hit 3's, it was not being able to efficiently create his own shot nor being able to get his teammates easy shots. Even if Randle could shoot 3's the rest of the team still would have struggled and the Knicks would still have sucked ass offensively.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1164 » by moocow007 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:39 am

HerSports85 wrote:

Steph
Klay
Okoro
Draymond

Best fit for the Warriors is Onyeka Okongwu. He's the best defensive front court player in this draft by a mile. He has great feel for where the ball is on both ends of the floor, great feel for where he needs to be with respect to being able to rebound, defend when the other team has the ball and finish plays when his team has the ball. He's excellent in the pick and roll which is what most top teams incorporate heavily. He's got great 2nd and 3rd bursts, is a rim runner, has shown he can put the ball on the floor, can create shots around the basket and doesn't have a broken shot. Out of the box he'd be the perfect compliment to Curry, Thompson and Green and plays the Warriors biggest position of need.
HerSports85
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 28,827

Post#1165 » by HerSports85 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:05 am

moocow007 wrote:
HerSports85 wrote:

Steph
Klay
Okoro
Draymond

Best fit for the Warriors is Onyeka Okongwu. He's the best defensive front court player in this draft by a mile. He has great feel for where the ball is on both ends of the floor, great feel for where he needs to be with respect to being able to rebound, defend when the other team has the ball and finish plays when his team has the ball. He's excellent in the pick and roll which is what most top teams incorporate heavily. He's got great 2nd and 3rd bursts, is a rim runner, has shown he can put the ball on the floor, can create shots around the basket and doesn't have a broken shot. Out of the box he'd be the perfect compliment to Curry, Thompson and Green and plays the Warriors biggest position of need.

Ideally, yes the warriors should be looking to take a center, but according to most reports, the warriors want a wing in the draft and I think Okoro is the best fit. They need someone that can handle the ball and get to the rim and just having Okoro surrounded by the best shooters in the league will unlock his potential.

Read on Twitter
BAF: Chicago Bulls
2023 In-season tournament Champs
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1166 » by moocow007 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:07 am

HerSports85 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
HerSports85 wrote:

Steph
Klay
Okoro
Draymond

Ideally, yes the warriors should be looking to take a center, but according to most reports, the warriors want a wing in the draft and I think Okoro is the best fit. They need someone that can handle the ball and get to the rim and just having Okoro surrounded by the best shooters in the league will unlock his potential.

Read on Twitter

Avdija would be a great option for the Warriors as well. Honestly, he'd be a great option for the Knicks too.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,374

Post#1167 » by Zenzibar » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:21 am

F N 11 wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:Some new write-ups on fast rising Tyrell Terry.

"2020 NBA Draft: Tyrell Terry’s stock to rise with latest measurements"

""Celtics have interviewed sharpshooting point guard Tyrell Terry""

"Could Warriors draft Stanford's Tyrell Terry as Steph Curry's understudy?"

"Stanford’s Tyrell Terry says Sixers love his shooting abilities, versatility to play lead guard and off the ball"

"Milwaukee Bucks reportedly show interest in Stanford guard Tyrell Terry"

"Stanford Sharp Shooter in Thunder's Sights"

"NBA Draft Combine: Tre Jones, Tyrell Terry grew up watching Suns PG Ricky Rubio during T-Wolves era"

Just in case some haven't noticed.

Nooooooooooooo

Yesssssssssssssss
Stop All Genocides
YungKnicks
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#1168 » by YungKnicks » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:12 pm

Okra .. I mean Okoro = Iman Shumpert, Stanley Johnson, Wesley Johnson, maybe Aaron Mckie.. we need shooting and you all still want to reach for non shooters... aleast RJ is a scorer Okoro is not even one in college.. smh

Picking Okoro at 8th will be the most Knick thing to do...
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,304

Post#1169 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:41 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
F N 11 wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:Some new write-ups on fast rising Tyrell Terry.

"2020 NBA Draft: Tyrell Terry’s stock to rise with latest measurements"

""Celtics have interviewed sharpshooting point guard Tyrell Terry""

"Could Warriors draft Stanford's Tyrell Terry as Steph Curry's understudy?"

"Stanford’s Tyrell Terry says Sixers love his shooting abilities, versatility to play lead guard and off the ball"

"Milwaukee Bucks reportedly show interest in Stanford guard Tyrell Terry"

"Stanford Sharp Shooter in Thunder's Sights"

"NBA Draft Combine: Tre Jones, Tyrell Terry grew up watching Suns PG Ricky Rubio during T-Wolves era"

Just in case some haven't noticed.

Nooooooooooooo

Yesssssssssssssss

Depends on who else was drafted already, but I'd be fine with Terry or Kira L and my mind changes daily. (This assumes Hayes off the board, LaMelo long gone etc)

Or is some of the board going to revisit it's stances around some smaller guards, like Trae Young?

The entire purpose of NBA rules changes over the last 30 years, collectively, was to enable smaller, skilled players and help them thrive.

I saw someone, Wingo? Raise the playoffs issue. Knicks are years away from being a contender. If, in 5 years, it seems important, Kira or Terry could be traded.
Zenzibar
General Manager

Post#1170 » by Zenzibar » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:15 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
F N 11 wrote:Nooooooooooooo

Yesssssssssssssss

Depends on who else was drafted already, but I'd be fine with Terry or Kira L and my mind changes daily. (This assumes Hayes off the board, LaMelo long gone etc)

Or is some of the board going to revisit it's stances around some smaller guards, like Trae Young?

The entire purpose of NBA rules changes over the last 30 years, collectively, was to enable smaller, skilled players and help them thrive.

I saw someone, Wingo? Raise the playoffs issue. Knicks are years away from being a contender. If, in 5 years, it seems important, Kira or Terry could be traded.

Hear you Bro, you're 100% right. Okoro is a brick-throwing prospect and anyone saying otherwise is eithermadd stubborn or does not have good eye for talent and needs. Barrett is Okoro so we already are developing one brick-throwing 2-3 and don't require another.

What the NBA is today is ALL ABOUT shooting 3s and if you have a handle, it's worthy of a lottery pick. Tyrell Terry has range up to 28ft, has a deceptively good handle, advance passing instincts and the HIGHEST BBall IQ EVER.

If the Knicks grab him at 8, good for them. Fill in those brick-throwing 3D guys later in the draft.
The only guy I would now consider at 8 is Vassell because he carries multiple skill sets.
While Kira is fast, comparably speaking he only shoots 36% from 3, while Tyrell Terry shoots over 40%. Additionally, Terry is already putting on muscle, getting bigger, stronger and more likely to be able to contribute right away.

It's clear that Tyrell Terry is a much better prospect and in the lottery talk IMO.
Stop All Genocides
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,900

Post#1171 » by DaGawd » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:38 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
Yesssssssssssssss

Hear you Bro, you're 100% right. Okoro is a brick-throwing prospect and anyone saying otherwise is eithermadd stubborn or does not have good eye for talent and needs. Barrett is Okoro so we already are developing one brick-throwing 2-3 and don't require another.

What the NBA is today is ALL ABOUT shooting 3s and if you have a handle, it's worthy of a lottery pick. Tyrell Terry has range up to 28ft, has a deceptively good handle, advance passing instincts and the HIGHEST BBall IQ EVER.

If the Knicks grab him at 8, good for them. Fill in those brick-throwing 3D guys later in the draft.
The only guy I would now consider at 8 is Vassell because he carries multiple skill sets.
While Kira is fast, comparably speaking he only shoots 36% from 3, while Tyrell Terry shoots over 40%. Additionally, Terry is already putting on muscle, getting bigger, stronger and more likely to be able to contribute right away.

It's clear that Tyrell Terry is a much better prospect and in the lottery talk IMO.

Barrett if not Okoro lol..I hope this was a troll post
BaF
Washington Wizards
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1172 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:41 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
Yesssssssssssssss

FVV is a more tenacious defender, obviously doesn't cost a draft pick (theoretically Knicks could draft player X AND get FVV, but it'll tie up a lot of cap and he'd have to be like a 2nd option, instead of a 3rd option) but doesn't Terry supply some of what FVV brings, in that he's a great outside shooter, very savvy, good passer (I think Terry is > FVV already) and the ability to function off the ball as a small SG - on offense.
Clearly, Terry not being an elite athlete makes him SEEM like he wouldn't be as good as a defender as FVV
But the Knicks could wind up with a guy similar the guy some are clamoring for. Though I think most people are wary of the FVV cost.

His height is about right for an NBA point - 6'3". Obviously, at some point he was listed at 160 lbs. Which is really, really slight.
So, maybe you draft the kid, bring him off the bench for 2 years and let him gain 25 lbs over 2 off seasons.
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,125

Post#1173 » by Juco24 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:47 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
Yesssssssssssssss

Wouldn't call RJ a brickthrower but agree with much of this
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1174 » by moocow007 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:47 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

FVV is a more tenacious defender, obviously doesn't cost a draft pick (theoretically Knicks could draft player X AND get FVV, but it'll tie up a lot of cap and he'd have to be like a 2nd option, instead of a 3rd option) but doesn't Terry supply some of what FVV brings, in that he's a great outside shooter, very savvy, good passer (I think Terry is > FVV already) and the ability to function off the ball as a small SG - on offense.
Clearly, Terry not being an elite athlete makes him SEEM like he wouldn't be as good as a defender as FVV
But the Knicks could wind up with a guy similar the guy some are clamoring for. Though I think most people are wary of the FVV cost.

His height is about right for an NBA point - 6'3". Obviously, at some point he was listed at 160 lbs. Which is really, really slight.
So, maybe you draft the kid, bring him off the bench for 2 years and let him gain 25 lbs over 2 off seasons.

The problem with FVV IS the cost. If it's low, absolutely cause it'll be a great value. If it's high, then no, cause it would not be a value signing. If there was no salary cap, then the Knicks can got nuts with what they pay FVV, cause they can throw more money at guys than any other tea and FVV the player would be excellent. But with the cap, it's critical, especially for a team with no franchise cornerstone, all everything, type young player on a cheap contract (like a Luka) to not be overpaying for guys (even otherwise talented guys). The goal isn't to sign guys folks like (cause they have all the stuff that you like in a player), the goal is to build a winning team. And you can't build a winning team without being able to maximize value thanks to the cap.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,262

Post#1175 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:52 pm

Coach Charlston Young hyping up Vassell and Patrick Williams. A good listen though. I'm still on board with Vassell. (he throws out Allan Houston as a comparison :o )

Read on Twitter
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1176 » by moocow007 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:54 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Coach Charlston Young hyping up Vassell and Patrick Williams. A good listen though. I'm still on board with Vassell. (he throws out Allan Houston as a comparison :o )

Read on Twitter

Will give it a listen, but hopefully that's Alan Houston on offense cause Houston was an absolute (and I quote Sir Charles) 'turrible' defender. :lol:
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1177 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:00 pm

Yeah, maybe I'm not even conflicted between Kira and Terry:

;t=621s
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1178 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:03 pm

moocow007 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:

The problem with FVV IS the cost. If it's low, absolutely cause it'll be a great value. If it's high, then no, cause it would not be a value signing. If there was no salary cap, then the Knicks can got nuts with what they pay FVV, cause they can throw more money at guys than any other tea and FVV the player would be excellent. But with the cap, it's critical, especially for a team with no franchise cornerstone, all everything, type young player on a cheap contract (like a Luka) to not be overpaying for guys (even otherwise talented guys). The goal isn't to sign guys folks like (cause they have all the stuff that you like in a player), the goal is to build a winning team. And you can't build a winning team without being able to maximize value thanks to the cap.

Agreed. Now, what really helped Toronto is they found FVV in the 2nd round\late first (I forget, not looking it up right now) so they had their first round pick and STILL got a FVV.

I know it's a different dynamic between a FA, a guy drafted in the late first/2nd, and a guy drafted at 8, but I think Terry can check a lot of the FVV boxes at a much cheaper cost.

That's how I feel today. I've talked myself into Vessel and Okoro for a week at a time also.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,385

Post#1179 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:23 pm

2010 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
2010 wrote:
I'd take Okoro over both Vassell and Kira. It's not even a hard decision for me. But I'm afraid now that Okoro has a promise from someone ahead of our #8 pick.

#8 Okoro
#27 Terry
#38 Scrubb

I'd be ecstatic with that haul.

You know I like Okoro but that shot is broken. If he never improves it, he’s the next Stanley Johnson. I gotta go with Kira (if Hayes is gone) who has star upside. Worst case scenario he’s a 6th man like Dennis Schroeder.

Stanley Johnson doesn't have his finishing ability in the paint at such high efficiency. Stanley Johnson doesn't have his touch. Stanley doesn't have his passing ability either. My boy was Stanley's trainer, he is/was way more raw than Okoro.

So who’s your comparison for Okoro if he doesn’t develop a jumper?
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Zenzibar
General Manager

Post#1180 » by Zenzibar » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:25 pm

DaGawd wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Barrett if not Okoro lol..I hope this was a troll post

Call it what you wish. But where is Okoro playing? At the 3? 2? Tell me what void does he fill, cause you already know.
Stop All Genocides

Return to New York Knicks