ImageImageImageImageImage

2019-2020 College/Draft thread IX (Knicks own #8 pick, 11/18 DRAFT) - Picking 8 who do you NOT want???

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Who do you NOT want the knicks to pick at 8?

Killian Hayes
3%
Tyrese Haliburton
8%
Onyeka Okongwu
9%
Cole Anthony
18%
Kira Lewis
3%
Obi Toppin
21%
Devin Vassell
3%
Isaac Okoro
6%
Aleksej Pokuševski
25%
Aaron Nesmith
7%

Total votes: 120

Infinitimind
Senior
And1: 398

Re: 2019-2020 College/Draft thread IX (Knicks own #8 pick, 11/18 DRAFT) - Picking 8 who do you NOT want??? 

Post#41 » by Infinitimind » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:24 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Infinitimind wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

I like Patrick more than Vassell, showed more with the ball in his hands and got to the line more despite playing less.

We just drafted Knox who half the board wants to get rid off. Why do you want to draft another project? New York does have the patient for it, it will be frank 2.0

Take Okoro, kid contribute right away and has a chance to be a star if he gets a jumpshot

The first and second half of this post got me laughing bro :lol:

Don't take a project, but then you say Okoro? Almost anyone we draft at 8 is a project.

Okoro not a project, he doesn’t have a jumpshot. He still has a high floor elite defense, elite athleticism, can get to the basket and finish with either hand,underrated passing/court vision. I hope he fall to us
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,271

Re: 2019-2020 College/Draft thread IX (Knicks own #8 pick, 11/18 DRAFT) - Picking 8 who do you NOT want??? 

Post#42 » by Oscirus » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:28 am

How is Poku not the runaway leader for the above poll?
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,289

Post#43 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:38 am

Angryfatboy wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Angryfatboy wrote:For me personally I’ve narrowed it down to vassell or nesmith

Vassell is the cant go wrong pick imo I’m most comfortable with him at 8

Even at worse case scenario you still end up with a good athlete that’s going to be dynamic on defense, can shoot The 3 ball, fits in any offense, hustles on the boards, and has good communication skills on court. He comes with more intangibles than just being a 3/D player.

On the flipside

Nesmith is a guaranteed flamethrower anywhere on the court with high volume to back it up, excellent off ball movement on the court getting to spots looks likes shades of Klay thomposon. His best case scenario is probably buddy Hield If the handles get better.

Okoro it’s like double Dutch Im tryna find my way in but I’m initially hesitant big PAUSE lol. He has the most upside of either guy but drafting a non shooter at 8 seems crazy if your the Knicks the shooting and free throw% is a turn off. If okoro was a solid playmaker I think that would be more appealing to make up for the lack of shooting but he’s neither a shooter nor playmaker he’s a gifted defender and athlete. I like him but I’m not crazy about it

Worst case scenario for Vassell isn't 3 & D, it's that the 3 isn't real and you're left with a guy who is very limited on offense. That is why you see names like Williams and Okoro so much now for us, because it's easier to teach someone to shoot than it is to teach them to dribble and dynamic players are what teams want. You can go back 10 years, and the most successful 3 & D guy taken in the lottery so far has been Otto Porter, and the second is Mikal Bridges, there are a whole lot more busts for the 3 & D player type in the lottery than there have been successes, because you can find these type of players later in the draft.

I'd much prefer Okoro over Vassell, there's just more to work with there with the hopes that he can develop into more.

What’s the indication he can’t shoot the 3?

“ This past season, he finished fifth in the ACC in three-point percentage, shooting 41.5% on 3.5 attempts per game. In Vassell’s freshman season, he shot 41.9% from beyond the arc on 1.9 attempts per game, so his successful three-point shooting is something that has been a staple in his game for his entire career, not just one season.”

According to his Synergy Sports profile, Vassell was dangerous from pretty much every zone behind the three-point line in 2019-20. His highest volume of three-point attempts came from the left/right wings, where the 6-6 swing-man shot 40.8% on 49 attempts. Vassell shot 41% last season on left/right corner three-point field goals (39 attempts), and he went 8 for 18 (44%) on three-point attempts from the top of the key.

He’s gonna be an elite role player easily . I’ll take that at pick 8 in this particular draft long term next to RJ and mitch to grow with.

What’s the plan with Barret and okoro? It’s a on over lap of play styles there both drivers. Your taking away from Barrets development if you force him to be a spot up shooter while putting the ball in okoros hands and your taking away from okoros development putting the ball in Barrets hands while forcing okoro to be a spot up shooter. And the fact neither of them can shoot or hit free throws its going to be an awkward development process in general.

In today’s nba teams are coming down the court shooting the 3 ball not coming down the court with 2 drivers who are shaky shooters On the wing lol. I don’t like it man If we had a center that could space the floor and real shooters to compliment it then ok that makes more sense.

Free throw shooting, there's a correlation between freethrow shooting in college and 3 point shooting at the next level. He was not a high volume three point shooter, it would be one thing if he was taking 5 per game and shot 80%+ from the line, but the volume he took was low and being 73.8% from the line for a supposed shooter is not good. For example, Lonzo Ball shot 41.2% from three and 67% from the line, he took 90 more threes on the year than Vassell, a much higher volume of threes and his shooting didn't translate.

You're drafting someone like Okoro and hoping he develops like Jaylen Brown did, another guy who was a great athlete with a shaky shot, but could handle the ball. You draft Okoro with the idea that he can be taught to hit corner threes because there's a similar level defender there with a better handle & much more capable of finishing at the rim, you draft a Patrick Williams with the same hope, because he showed promise handling the ball in PnR and hitting pullups off closeouts. How RJ & Okoro fit together next year would be troubling, but how they'd fit together 3 years from now after they've had development time is why you do it. I wouldn't want to blow a lottery pick on a guy whose projection is 3 & D, there's going to be someone taken later on or undrafted that will do the exact same thing, but is probably just 2-3 years older.

We shouldn't be building our team for "todays NBA" either, we should be looking at the Celtics with their multiple ball handlers who can drive, create or shoot off the catch as the template for the future. The stand and watch 1 guy create type of offense is cool if you have Luka or LeBron, we don't have that. If you look at the teams left in the playoffs, almost all of the 3 & D wings are value guys on good deals, some of them were undrafted (Craig) while others were second rounders (Green, Crowder).
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,289

Post#44 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:39 am

Infinitimind wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Infinitimind wrote:
We just drafted Knox who half the board wants to get rid off. Why do you want to draft another project? New York does have the patient for it, it will be frank 2.0

Take Okoro, kid contribute right away and has a chance to be a star if he gets a jumpshot

Don't take a project, but then you say Okoro? Almost anyone we draft at 8 is a project.

Okoro not a project, he doesn’t have a jumpshot. He still has a high floor elite defense, elite athleticism, can get to the basket and finish with either hand,underrated passing/court vision. I hope he fall to us

I like Okoro, but he's a project. He can't shoot, that means he's a project because his development & place in the league hinges on him being able to shoot.

If he can shoot he has a high ceiling.
Garbagelo
Veteran
And1: 3,182

Post#45 » by Garbagelo » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:45 am

Manhattan Project wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Worst case scenario for Vassell isn't 3 & D, it's that the 3 isn't real and you're left with a guy who is very limited on offense. That is why you see names like Williams and Okoro so much now for us, because it's easier to teach someone to shoot than it is to teach them to dribble and dynamic players are what teams want. You can go back 10 years, and the most successful 3 & D guy taken in the lottery so far has been Otto Porter, and the second is Mikal Bridges, there are a whole lot more busts for the 3 & D player type in the lottery than there have been successes, because you can find these type of players later in the draft.

I'd much prefer Okoro over Vassell, there's just more to work with there with the hopes that he can develop into more.

Who are the 3 and D busts in the lottery?

I think that is too simple of a way to look at it

It's all about opportunity cost

If a lotto 3 and D player is average he wouldn't be considered a bust because 3 and D players are naturally average

However, if someone selected after them becomes a star then that automatically makes the 3 and D a bust IMO
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,968

Post#46 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:56 am

Garbagelo wrote:I think that is too simple of a way to look at it

If a lotto 3 and D player is average he wouldn't be considered a bust because 3 and D players are naturally average

However, if someone selected after them becomes a star then that automatically makes the 3 and D a bust IMO

I don't think teams draft 3 and D players in the lottery, I mean I hate that term to begin with. To me that's for role players and it's "easier" to find them because they get to play off superstars. You don't draft 3 and D players in the lottery because of the upside in the player, they always have something else. Playmaking/rebounding/athleticism etc. Outside of Mikal Bridges, I really don't see anyone that was drafted to be a 3 and D. Bridges is the perfect compliment to Booker/Ayton and is just a good teammate and was the tenth pick. We're not talking high end picks here. It's OK if that's the floor, but no one drafts players in the top ten and pray for a 3 and D being the best case scenario.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,751

Post#47 » by Fat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:59 am

Infinitimind wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Infinitimind wrote:

I agree he’s not a project not a Frank situation he’s Just to close to RJ for my liking when you dive into his weaknesses

-poor free throw shooter
-Poor midrange/3point shooter
-becomes ineffective when his driving lanes get cut off
-capable dribbler to an extent
-passes up shots to drive into defenses

He’s an excellent defender can probably defend 1-4, atheltic nba body, acrobatic finisher around the rim those are his strongest strengths.. everything else is going off potential he doesn’t like have a defined true skill set on offense which is why I’m not that excited about taking him 8th. To top it off him and vassell Both avg 12 pts coming out the draft (though okoro is a freshman and vassell is sophomore) but still someone with all this upside and elite athleticism should at least be putting up identical numbers to RJ when he was coming out of college
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,341

Post#48 » by Worst_to_First » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:08 am

Oh I see draft is locked in for November 18. Two more months then.

Read on Twitter
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,532

Post#49 » by Fat Kat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:21 am

All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#50 » by moocow007 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:31 pm

Not pick? For the Knicks? Has to be the guy with the least in terms of NBA upside in terms of potential impact in the game. So my pick is Aaron Nesmith.

Everyone else on this list?

Killian Hayes - he's arguably the guy the Knicks should pick if that's all that's left at 8. His EXTREME reliance on his left hand is a concern but there's so much to like about his game that he definitely shouldn't be the choice here.
Tyrese Haliburton - I'm not a big fan of Haliburton but he does have a lot of skills that can find a fit in the NBA and there is some potential for him to be a 2nd tier alpa so really can't go with him here.
Onyeka Okongwu - personally he would be IMO the most talented player on this list so if we didn't have Mitchell Robinson he should be the no brainer pick here even above Hayes. Fit is not good but he is the best player here so really should not be him even if we do have Mitchell Robinson (let''s be serious here).
Cole Anthony - lot's not to like about Anthony but there's also quite a bit to like about him. Minimally he can turn into a top tier 6th man IMO with the potential to be a starting point in certain systems (one of which might be Thibs system a la a scaled down version of a Derrick Rose)
Kira Lewis - Lewis would probably be one of the bigger risk guys on this list given that he's really not shown he can consistently run a team but his end to end speed and ability to split defenders is top notch...and there is a general real fine vibe with him that I think you would have to consider under certain circumstances. I'm not as high on him here at 8 as others and would not take him above everyone else but he would not be the guy I'd want the least.
Obi Toppin - I would not take Toppin here as he is not the type of player that will help bad teams win IMO (see Julius Randle). However there's no question he's got a lot of talent so he definitely would not be the guy I'd definitely pass on (Most teams would not be too upset if you get a guy with Randle's talent level at 8). And at 8? He's a better choice than half this list just based on sheer talent. Put it this way, a Julius Randle type player on a rookie contract is a pretty valuable trade asset.
Devin Vassell - I like Vassell quite a bit and he'd be probably 3rd on my list of guys to pick on this list at 8. He clearly shoots well, he's a terrific defender (even as you project to the NBA), he can put the ball on the floor. He's not very experienced and there is risk that he doesn't progress but I see a good deal of upside here.
Isaac Okoro - Okoro has an NBA body, NBA athleticism and NBA junkyard dog mentality so gotta love that. He does have a good feel for where the ball is, his teammates are and the game in general. Same along the lines of Okongwu in that regard though not to the same level. He's limited offensively (a bit stiff when he shoots or tries to score) but I do like everything else about him.
Aleksej Pokuševski - obviously can only base opinions off of online vids but this guy is very talented so the upside is there, he's real raw (NOT Porzingis at the same point) so you have no idea what you'd get. You can either get someone that won't ever hit the NBA but you can also one extremely talented next "unicorn". He would definitely be near the bottom of my list of guys to take but not the guy at the bottom.

So why Nesmith?

I just don't see anything more than a situational jump shooter at the NBA level with little upside and skills that will not play well in other areas besides shooting. I see the lowest upside of anyone on this list here. He may work well off the bench for a well oiled top tier team with the right system and ball movement to get hims great shots but on the Knicks? For the next X number of years in a rebuild? I don't see a guy that will make a good enough impact here. I get that everyone is in LOVE with shooting but that doesn't mean that you take him at this spot and he's the guy I'd most be upset with if the Knicks pick at 8 is the point. If the Knicks want someone like Nesmith they can just resign Dotson for a cheap contract and use the 8th pick for a BPA type.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,276

Post#51 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:36 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:
Garbagelo wrote:I think that is too simple of a way to look at it

I don't think teams draft 3 and D players in the lottery, I mean I hate that term to begin with. To me that's for role players and it's "easier" to find them because they get to play off superstars. You don't draft 3 and D players in the lottery because of the upside in the player, they always have something else. Playmaking/rebounding/athleticism etc. Outside of Mikal Bridges, I really don't see anyone that was drafted to be a 3 and D. Bridges is the perfect compliment to Booker/Ayton and is just a good teammate and was the tenth pick. We're not talking high end picks here. It's OK if that's the floor, but no one drafts players in the top ten and pray for a 3 and D being the best case scenario.

Yea, that term is tossed around way too much in the draft in a negative way. It's like any player that can shoot or defend just gets tossed into that box when there's a lot more going on.

Even Mikal is not really just an ordinary 3D player...He has been getting better and making a big impact.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#52 » by HEZI » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:45 pm

I feel like I should like Nesmith more than I do. I see a lot of Klay comps but sorry I don't see it. I see a lot of Alec Burks in him though. That doesn't mean he doesn't have potential to be better, he's still young and can improve a lot but for now that's who his game reminds me of most.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,944

Post#53 » by god shammgod » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:13 pm

i'm just hoping okoro is still there. he might not make it to us.
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#54 » by WargamesX » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:19 pm

Fat Kat wrote:

Yeah but let’s put up some offense highlights. His defense can’t be the main reason he should be drafted at 8. We’re not the Hawks who have a great offense and need defense to take the next step. We need talent.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,925

Post#55 » by F N 11 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:31 pm

WargamesX wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:

Yeah but let’s put up some offense highlights. His defense can’t be the main reason he should be drafted at 8. We’re not the Hawks who have a great offense and need defense to take the next step. We need talent.

Who do you want at 8? This draft is not stacked. Vassel is elite on defense and has the tools to be a good offensive player.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,276

Post#56 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:36 pm

Has Knicks taking Vassell with Okoro and Hayes on the board.

Interesting note on the Knicks possibly swapping with the Hawks to take Haliburton. I would only trade up for Killian.. might as well just stay and grab Killian in this one.

The Hawks could also explore the idea of swapping picks with the New York Knicks, who may be interested in Haliburton's floor game and maturity. At No. 8, Atlanta could add more defense with Isaac Okoro or Devin Vassell.

Read on Twitter
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#57 » by WargamesX » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:39 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Has Knicks taking Vassell with Okoro and Hayes on the board.

Interesting note on the Knicks possibly swapping with the Hawks to take Haliburton. I would only trade up for Killian.. might as well just stay and grab Killian in this one.

The Hawks could also explore the idea of swapping picks with the New York Knicks, who may be interested in Haliburton's floor game and maturity. At No. 8, Atlanta could add more defense with Isaac Okoro or Devin Vassell.

Read on Twitter

That would be interesting and make sense. What would we have to give them to move up those two spots.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,125

Post#58 » by Juco24 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:50 pm

These playoffs have really shown the importance of having a great shooter and it reminded me of this article from a few weeks ago....

Cole Anthony
Like Wiseman, we saw a very small sample size but this was due to injury. Anthony is a great scorer and a terrific rebounder for his height, but will take a few years until we see his peak performance.

Floor: Dennis Smith Jr.

Ceiling: Jamal Murray

Watching Murray.... damn it I'd be willing to roll the dice on Cole.

And get Isiah Stewart with #27

Cole/Frank/Mitch/RJ/Stewart and KEEP the assets as opposed to trading.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,411

Post#59 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:52 pm

Juco24 wrote:These playoffs have really shown the importance of having a great shooter and it reminded me of this article from a few weeks ago....

Cole Anthony
Like Wiseman, we saw a very small sample size but this was due to injury. Anthony is a great scorer and a terrific rebounder for his height, but will take a few years until we see his peak performance.

Floor: Dennis Smith Jr.

Ceiling: Jamal Murray

Watching Murray.... damn it I'd be willing to roll the dice on Cole.

And get Isiah Stewart with #27

Cole/Frank/Mitch/RJ/Stewart and KEEP the assets as opposed to trading.

I'll pass on Cole. He's more of a 6th man type Collin Sexton player than a Murray type player. If we tryna get a Murray type PG.. I would go for Hayes imo.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#60 » by moocow007 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:53 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Has Knicks taking Vassell with Okoro and Hayes on the board.

Read on Twitter

Unless we're talking about the 2nd round pick I wouldn't be trading up just 2 spots.

Return to New York Knicks