ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA - LA or Miami: Who you got?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

LA or Miami

Poll ended at Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:21 am

Miami
20%
Not LA
13%
Whatever team has Jimmy Butler
14%
Whatever team does not have Lebron
13%
Lebron is not the GOAT
14%
Confused Knicks fan still hoping AD will sign with NYK
9%
Confused Knicks fan that would reject AD even if he wanted to sign with NYK
4%
Lebron Bandwagoner --- You can't stop me from voting for LA
12%

Total votes: 76

knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,593

Re: LA or Miami: Who you got? 

Post#21 » by knicksNOTslick » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:20 am

I want AD as Finals MVP just for the lols. The two teams I didn't want in the Finals make it. Can't root for the Heat. Never. And I'm not a Lebron fan.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,653

Post#22 » by Knicksfan1992 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:21 am

I actually think the Lakers will be in bigger trouble than people realize. Heat have the personnel to make it tough on Bron and force him to play D. You can't really "hide" on anyone in the Heat rotation outside of Iguodala. I think this is a series where AD has to be the alpha. I'll take Lakers in 6 or 7 but I would not be shocked if Miami pulls this off. I also just fully believe at som epoint LA's role players will cost them. Danny Green has been chit. KCP is due for a drought and I don't trust that guy at all. Kuzma will be played off the floor in this series IMO. Lakers will ride the top end talent I think to a title but if LeBron and Ad aren't getting 25-35 a night I can see the Heat winning tbh
Ursusamericanus
Veteran
And1: 2,466

Post#23 » by Ursusamericanus » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:38 am

Lakers in 5. IMO this is a pretty easy call. Heat are about to get swamped.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,064

Post#24 » by RHODEY » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:54 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

Heat's offense is like a poor man's Nuggets offense.

Ehh, heat will give you balanced scoring from just about every position. Herro and Duncan Robinson are automatic and Bam can bang with the best..then you have Butlers and Dragic..this aint no 2 man donut team. There no Paul Milsaps to abuse no Gary Harris to clunk shots. IMO they will be way tougher for the Lakers to defend while OTOH Miami's defense is light years ahead of the nuggets .

Remember when the Pistons ran through the more talented Lakers back in 2004? Miami reminds of them.

Jokic is a better offensive threat on & off ball than Bam was, with two non-shooters like Butler and Bam I don't see it. The Lakers have beaten some very good offensive teams already, what the Heat have is a balance of offense & defense. There are no offensive talents on the Heat coming close to Dame, Harden, Jokic or Murray though.

The Heat playing zone so much is just a pathway to AD winning finals MVP, you just cannot run the zone against someone like him. If they don't run the zone LeBron will put Robinson, Herro and Dragic through non-stop possessions where they force the switch. That is really the series right there, if the zone breaks in game 1 or 2 the series is over, they play it to hide their worst man to man defenders. If they can't play zone LeBron will get red carpet treatment to the rim, it'll be possession after possession where they target Herro/Dragic/Robinson forcing switches.

This is nothing like the 04 Pistons/Lakers series, nobody on the Lakers is hurt like Karl was, AD & LeBron don't hate each other like Kobe & Shaq did. This is like the Spurs / Nets series where 1 team is the clear favorite with the talent disparity, while the other will put up a fight before ultimately losing to the more talented players.

Collectively theHeat represent a greater offensive threat because they are so balanced. They remind me of the Pistons because they were balanced and great defensively as well. Lakers are not a clear favorite at all, they are are top heavy surrendered by a bunch of role players...they will be exposed .
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 40,643

Post#25 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:43 am

RHODEY wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
Ehh, heat will give you balanced scoring from just about every position. Herro and Duncan Robinson are automatic and Bam can bang with the best..then you have Butlers and Dragic..this aint no 2 man donut team. There no Paul Milsaps to abuse no Gary Harris to clunk shots. IMO they will be way tougher for the Lakers to defend while OTOH Miami's defense is light years ahead of the nuggets .

Remember when the Pistons ran through the more talented Lakers back in 2004? Miami reminds of them.

Jokic is a better offensive threat on & off ball than Bam was, with two non-shooters like Butler and Bam I don't see it. The Lakers have beaten some very good offensive teams already, what the Heat have is a balance of offense & defense. There are no offensive talents on the Heat coming close to Dame, Harden, Jokic or Murray though.

The Heat playing zone so much is just a pathway to AD winning finals MVP, you just cannot run the zone against someone like him. If they don't run the zone LeBron will put Robinson, Herro and Dragic through non-stop possessions where they force the switch. That is really the series right there, if the zone breaks in game 1 or 2 the series is over, they play it to hide their worst man to man defenders. If they can't play zone LeBron will get red carpet treatment to the rim, it'll be possession after possession where they target Herro/Dragic/Robinson forcing switches.

This is nothing like the 04 Pistons/Lakers series, nobody on the Lakers is hurt like Karl was, AD & LeBron don't hate each other like Kobe & Shaq did. This is like the Spurs / Nets series where 1 team is the clear favorite with the talent disparity, while the other will put up a fight before ultimately losing to the more talented players.

Collectively theHeat represent a greater offensive threat because they so balanced. They remind me of the Pistons because they were balanced and great defensively as well. Lakers are not a clear favorite at all, they are are top heavy surrendered by a bunch of role players...they will be exposed .

They have played similar offenses, with better individual talent, if anyone was going to expose them it would have been the Nuggets. Those same balanced offensive players you're talking about need the zone to be on the floor, you can't play Robinson or Herro a lot of minutes if they're going to have to play man to man defense. What's more likely to happen, the Lakers get exposed with the two best players in the series, or the Heat's defensive scheme collapses because AD is completely different from anyone else they have defended and can break the 2-3.

You can only play a 2-3 zone against dumb teams that don't have a big man who can attack through passing, shooting or going off the dribble from the foul line. The Lakers are going to kill the zone because of him, the last time they played they figured it out in 1 half and blew the Heat out.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,981

Post#26 » by Capn'O » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:45 am

Lol.

Lakers.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 47,851

Post#27 » by robillionaire » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:22 am

pulling for lakers and I got the lakers in 4 or 5
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,791

Post#28 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:13 am

Before the game was over and it was still a game, I was thinking that Miami isn't THAT much more talented than Boston, at least in the starting 5 (clear edge Miami's bench) but that even discounting benches, Miami matches up better with Lakers in terms of giving them a chance to win.

Boston basically rolled out 5 wings and a set of limited ability centers, each lacking in some way, but collectively decent. And nothing wrong with this approach, as Miami had lineups out there where either Crowder or Iggy was the "center" and the other guy was the "PF"

Bam, even though not as good as Jokic, is still an offensive threat and AD will have to work to guard him. This is for the times when AD is the center, which I figure will be half the series.

Then Miami is rotate Butler\Iggy\Crowder at Lebron. Are any of them going to stop him? No. But they'll all make him work.

Then it comes down to supporting cast, and if we go with Butler/Bam being the top 2 on Miami and Lebron\AD for the Lakers, Herro\Robinson\Crowder\Iggy\Dragic\whoever is better than Kuzma\Rondo\Green\Caldwell-Pope\Howard\ with the players 8-13 on each team about the same.

I might be missing something in the analysis where Lakers have the edge, just that Miami matches up well and they have a real chance.
And I hate both teams, though the Celtics lost, so there is always that
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,791

Post#29 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:14 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

Collectively theHeat represent a greater offensive threat because they so balanced. They remind me of the Pistons because they were balanced and great defensively as well. Lakers are not a clear favorite at all, they are are top heavy surrendered by a bunch of role players...they will be exposed .

They have played similar offenses, with better individual talent, if anyone was going to expose them it would have been the Nuggets. Those same balanced offensive players you're talking about need the zone to be on the floor, you can't play Robinson or Herro a lot of minutes if they're going to have to play man to man defense. What's more likely to happen, the Lakers get exposed with the two best players in the series, or the Heat's defensive scheme collapses because AD is completely different from anyone else they have defended and can break the 2-3.

You can only play a 2-3 zone against dumb teams that don't have a big man who can attack through passing, shooting or going off the dribble from the foul line. The Lakers are going to kill the zone because of him, the last time they played they figured it out in 1 half and blew the Heat out.

For instance, here is some analysis on why my take on the Heat could be dead wrong.
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,085

Post#30 » by Juco24 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:15 am

As much as I hate Miami... I dislike Lebitch more. Pulling for Miami and also think Spoe is the wildcard. Dude doesn't get enough credit for being a great coach. Plus he knows LeBron as well as anyone (not saying it matters a lot but helps). Heat have shooters and multiple good defenders to throw at LeBron. Heat play unselfish and Lakers won't be able to key on just 2. Bam will cause Davis to WORK. Heat in 7
Buttah304
Analyst
And1: 5,507

Post#31 » by Buttah304 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:02 pm

Lakers in 5. I cannot picture LA losing 4/7 to Miami. Miami can try to go zone but this Laker team has the personnel to expose it
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#32 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:18 pm

Like the '99 Knicks, once they got going it felt kind of inevitable that the Heat would make it to the Finals. And also like the '99 Knicks, the Heat are going to lose in 5 games to a superior opponent.
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#33 » by RHODEY » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:06 pm

Juco24 wrote:As much as I hate Miami... I dislike Lebitch more. Pulling for Miami and also think Spoe is the wildcard. Dude doesn't get enough credit for being a great coach. Plus he knows LeBron as well as anyone (not saying it matters a lot but helps). Heat have shooters and multiple good defenders to throw at LeBron. Heat play unselfish and Lakers won't be able to key on just 2. Bam will cause Davis to WORK. Heat in 7

Don't hate the current Heat at all, that rivalry is from so long ago and we exacted revenge on them on multiple occasions. For me I easily root for them over the Lakers.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Post#34 » by DOT » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:14 pm

I really couldn't care less about any rivalries we might have had at one point

I was 3 in 1999. It's been over 20 years, almost nothing about the teams is the same at this point

I see it as, either way I come out on top in this. If the Heat win, well they're an underdog who I wrote off, so I'd be fine with them winning. If the Lakers win, I get to see tons of people have nuclear meltdowns about LeBron winning another ring, which as a sh*tposter pleases me greatly. Win-win imo.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,085

Post#35 » by Juco24 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:50 pm

RHODEY wrote:
Juco24 wrote:As much as I hate Miami... I dislike Lebitch more. Pulling for Miami and also think Spoe is the wildcard. Dude doesn't get enough credit for being a great coach. Plus he knows LeBron as well as anyone (not saying it matters a lot but helps). Heat have shooters and multiple good defenders to throw at LeBron. Heat play unselfish and Lakers won't be able to key on just 2. Bam will cause Davis to WORK. Heat in 7

Don't hate the current Heat at all, that rivalry is from so long ago and we exacted revenge on them on multiple occasions. For me I easily root for them over the Lakers.

:beer:
Context
RealGM
And1: 11,450

Post#36 » by Context » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:56 pm

what type of options is that to have on a poll? smh
Spoiler:
"Against All Odds" "The Watch"
KNIXFAN_83
Analyst
And1: 1,320

Post#37 » by KNIXFAN_83 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:34 pm

Lakers in 5. I personally in my opinion feel if Lebron wins this year hes greatest individual athlete in team sports history.

1. Statistically and accomplishment wise he’s comparable to everyone if not better.

2. Being able to move too multiple franchises and possibly having his number retired with 3 teams is nothing short of Goat worthy

3. Off the court maybe just as influential as any American athlete in modern day. Not saying he’s better but he’s in the convo.

4. One the greatest entrepreneurs in sports history

5. Created player control so they can have a say in where they play.

This year is a legacy chip on a completely different level. Lakers win this year everyone gotta shut the hell up. It’s that simple.
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#38 » by RHODEY » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:44 pm

KNIXFAN_83 wrote:Lakers in 5. I personally in my opinion feel if Lebron wins this year hes greatest individual athlete in team sports history.

1. Statistically and accomplishment wise he’s comparable to everyone if not better.

2. Being able to move too multiple franchises and possibly having his number retired with 3 teams is nothing short of Goat worthy

3. Off the court maybe just as influential as any American athlete in modern day. Not saying he’s better but he’s in the convo.

This year is a legacy chip on a completely different level. Lakers win this year everyone gotta shut the hell up. It’s that simple.

He's up there......but Jordan is greatest individual athlete in team basketball IMO.
KNIXFAN_83
Analyst
And1: 1,320

Post#39 » by KNIXFAN_83 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:11 pm

RHODEY wrote:
KNIXFAN_83 wrote:Lakers in 5. I personally in my opinion feel if Lebron wins this year hes greatest individual athlete in team sports history.

He's up there......but Jordan is greatest individual athlete in team basketball IMO.

Thats fine and think this debate has definitely evolved. There’s no longer a gap. It’s more of a preference between two different forms of greatness. 9 finals in 10 years 3 teams 2 conferences is arguably the most impressive accomplishment ever.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Post#40 » by DOT » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:34 pm

KNIXFAN_83 wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

Thats fine and think this debate has definitely evolved. There’s no longer a gap. It’s more of a preference between two different forms of greatness. 9 finals in 10 years 3 teams 2 conferences is arguably the most impressive accomplishment ever.

I think there definitely is a gap

MJ never had a series as bad as LeBron had in 2011. That's really the only thing separating them at this point

I never bought the Finals record argument, cause like half of them were LeBron carrying a team that had no business making it there only to get destroyed by the much better team, and I'm more impressed by him making it than if he were to have lost in the first round, something he still has never done in his career

MJ never lost when his team was supposed to win. You could argue in 95 his team should've won and he lost, but he played amazing that series, his team just let him down.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe

Return to New York Knicks