ImageImageImageImageImage

Obi Toppin to the Knicks @ #8

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,919

Re: Obi Toppin to the Knicks @ #8 

Post#41 » by SelbyCobra » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:06 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
j4remi wrote:Now we need a PG to fall to 23. I like Obi, too much offensive talent not to be a productive player at the very least. Just need a PG to make the high flying front court pop and space the floor. One of Flynn, Hampton, Maxey, Winston maybe?

RJ Hampton at 23 would be the swing for the fences draft. I’m thinking Maxey might be higher on the board. Flynn’s stock is pretty high too.

Maxey gone, Hampton or Terry? Hoping for someone to groom in the backcourt, and then FVV...
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,967

Post#42 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:10 am

SelbyCobra wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
j4remi wrote:Now we need a PG to fall to 23. I like Obi, too much offensive talent not to be a productive player at the very least. Just need a PG to make the high flying front court pop and space the floor. One of Flynn, Hampton, Maxey, Winston maybe?

RJ Hampton at 23 would be the swing for the fences draft. I’m thinking Maxey might be higher on the board. Flynn’s stock is pretty high too.

Maxey gone, Hampton or Terry? Hoping for someone to groom in the backcourt, and then FVV...

Philly just picked Maxey. But I’m Terry gang.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,518

Post#43 » by Chanel Bomber » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:17 am

Welcome to Obi and good luck to him. Hope he succeeds here. I'll support him as long as he plays hard and shows improvement. At the very least, I liked the emotion that he showed when the pick was announced. My beef with the pick is not about him but the front office.

Mitch's days in New York are numbered by the way.

Mitch and Obi can't play together. They're both centers. Except Mitch isn't one of Rose's children. I give him a year tops before he's gone.
NYKinMIA
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,004

Post#44 » by NYKinMIA » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:30 am

jstudabaka wrote:Obi Top, real name, no gimmicks.

Obi Wan JAM-OBIIIII!

Yeah, whatever, at least he has an epic baller name

Aight fam, I feel ya.

Hows bout, Obi Wan DaHomie, or Obi Wan T.O.P. ? :starwars
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,481

Post#45 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:30 am

Welcome Obi! Let’s go
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,116

Post#46 » by blueNorange » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:54 am

get him(and mitch) a point guard to lob them the ball.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,310

Post#47 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:58 am

Manhattan Project wrote:I mean he wasn't my go to guy, but we can stop pretending that they're aren't things to like about him. If his three pointer proves to be effective, he'll be valuable. Obviously defensively he needs work, but hopefully Mitch is able to help cover for him some. He can be a stretch four, a beast in transition and at least he plays smart on the offensive end. He's home, hopefully he plays with that passion on a nightly basis.

Getting the best offensive big man in a draft is not nothing. His outside shot looks legit and what I like about that is Thibs is not going to have to scheme the same one or two plays to get Obi the ball in scoring position. It looks like he can score from anywhere on the floor which is pretty valuable for a guy his size
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#48 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:00 am

I do hope Toppin means the Knicks have a deal for Randle lined up

I'd rather have RJ at the three and two guards in the backcourt which would mean Mitch, Toppin, RJ in the front court and no spot for Randle
oldshoolballer
Starter
And1: 2,660

Post#49 » by oldshoolballer » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:00 am

The best player in the draft imo. A young Amare who can shoot. Obi will be a good one.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#50 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:02 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:Welcome to Obi and good luck to him. Hope he succeeds here. I'll support him as long as he plays hard and shows improvement. At the very least, I liked the emotion that he showed when the pick was announced. My beef with the pick is not about him but the front office.

Mitch and Obi can't play together. They're both centers. Except Mitch isn't one of Rose's children. I give him a year tops before he's gone.

Toppin does not need to play C

He's a PF who can operate from the perimeter too, not just the post. He can shoot from the perimeter so he doesn't create spacing issues with Mitch

If anything, Mitch + Toppin may be necessary on defense, but I see no conflict on offense
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#51 » by whocares1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:05 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:Welcome to Obi and good luck to him. Hope he succeeds here. I'll support him as long as he plays hard and shows improvement. At the very least, I liked the emotion that he showed when the pick was announced. My beef with the pick is not about him but the front office.

He's a PF who can operate from the perimeter too, not just the post. He can shoot from the perimeter so he doesn't create spacing issues with Mitch

If anything, Mitch + Toppin may be necessary on defense, but I see no conflict on offense

Obi would be an atrocious 5 defensively anyway.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#52 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:06 am

whocares1 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Yeah, plus he's not a C anyway. He's a 6'8" PF that plays big for his size
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,518

Post#53 » by Chanel Bomber » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:17 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Yeah, plus he's not a C anyway. He's a 6'8" PF that plays big for his size

Then he'll play as a floor spacer with Mitch clogging the lane, which is a waste of his primary skills (rolls and post-ups).

You could've found a wing who can shoot as well and be more switchable on defense to play the 4 then.

I just don't see the fit with Mitch and RJ honestly. Defensively it puts us in a no-win situation.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,068

Post#54 » by GONYK » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:18 am

Clyde_Style wrote:

Toppin maybe can operate a bit on the perimeter, but that's not his game. He's a rim runner, just like Mitch.

The fit isn't ideal. Especially since Obi thrived in a 4 out system.
FreeSpiritNY
Veteran
And1: 1,285

Post#55 » by FreeSpiritNY » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:19 am

This draft low-key sucks we did not fill the pg void once again.. could have drafted tyrell terry or cassius instead we got a PG who can shoot threes but has no court vision. WTF is with this team. We keep drafting bigs or small players that won't work.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#56 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:20 am

GONYK wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Toppin maybe can operate a bit on the perimeter, but that's not his game. He's a rim runner, just like Mitch.

Well, who knows what the FO and Thibs intends. Roster could still shift in next week
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,068

Post#57 » by GONYK » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:21 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Well, who knows what the FO and Thibs intends. Roster could still shift in next week
I think it has to
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,071

Post#58 » by Jeffrey » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:21 am

Is Obi a better version Knox?
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#59 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:22 am

GONYK wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
GONYK wrote:

I think it has to

kind of expect them to bid hard for FVV now
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#60 » by whocares1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:23 am

Jeffrey wrote:Is Obi a better version Knox?

I mean offensively yea and if he isn’t the worst defender in the league then defensively too.

Return to New York Knicks