ImageImageImageImageImage

2020-2021 College/Draft thread 1

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Re: 2020-2021 College/Draft thread 1 

Post#1601 » by DowNY » Sat Jan 9, 2021 4:43 pm

HerSports85 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Word, I was just coming through to post this
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Post#1602 » by cgf » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:09 pm

God damn does Cooper look tiny.

Always interesting when you get prospects on the extreme end of the spectrum like this...and it's always weird when I'm taller than a prospect :lol:
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,741

Post#1603 » by Fat » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:11 pm

cgf wrote:God damn does Cooper look tiny. Always interesting when you get prospects on the extreme end of the spectrum like this.

How’s he playing
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
cgf
RealGM

Post#1604 » by cgf » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:12 pm

Angryfatboy wrote:
cgf wrote:God damn does Cooper look tiny. Always interesting when you get prospects on the extreme end of the spectrum like this.

How’s he playing

I just tuned in.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
cgf
RealGM

Post#1605 » by cgf » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:20 pm

He went to the bench pretty quickly but had a nice sudden-ness to his movements & seemed really comfortable with the ball in his hands in the little I saw.

Announcers mentioned him missing his first shot badly, but I didn't see that. Also didn't get to see him creating much.

Hope he checks back in before I have to switch to the Leipzig-Dortmund game, but the kid does still need to get into game shape so I'm not sure he will.

cgf
RealGM

Post#1606 » by cgf » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:26 pm

Nice drive & kick. Not sure if he's just not in shape yet or manipulating the pace, but that looked crafty :lol:

Alright, I'm intrigued.

...they weren't kidding about his shot, that was rough...if he can't be a plus shooter he's going to have a hard time with his size, even with his craftiness & passing.

knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#1607 » by knickstape4ever » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:34 pm

Polk377 wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
Polk377 wrote:I think it is safe to say that with our Kentucky connection lining up a guy we should have our eye on is none other than Obi's younger brother SF Jacob Toppin. He is still a project but is the same jump out the gym dunker as Obi and a more fluid athlete. If he declares lock him in as a 2nd round target.

let's see if the 1st Toppin is any decent before we start w/ another. I'm having my doubts about the pick. thought they should've gone PG

You're having doubts after 1 game? Obi Toppin at worst will be a serviceable role player. What PG other than Ball would have made any impact?

I had my doubts about Obi since before the draft. Haliburton made more sense to me
knickstape4ever
Head Coach

Post#1608 » by knickstape4ever » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:38 pm

Polk377 wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:anyone know how the play-in tournament would affect the draft positioning?

side-note: play-in tournament is ridiculous. that's what the regular season is for

Football and Baseball each have a wildcard game. Play in adds a level of excitement to end the season and gives a chance to those teams that are usually within a game of each other in the 7-10 range to prove they deserve a spot in the playoffs.

yeah football and baseball are wild-card games, not "play-in tournaments". wild-card is still the playoffs.

in football 14/32 teams make the playoffs, a reasonable #. in baseball (in a normal season), 10/30 teams makes the playoffs, also reasonable IMO

in basketball, it was 16/30 which is over 50%, something I always thought was too much. now it's basically 20/30 teams, which is way too much IMO
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Post#1609 » by Polk377 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:27 pm

knickstape4ever wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:anyone know how the play-in tournament would affect the draft positioning?

side-note: play-in tournament is ridiculous. that's what the regular season is for

Football and Baseball each have a wildcard game. Play in adds a level of excitement to end the season and gives a chance to those teams that are usually within a game of each other in the 7-10 range to prove they deserve a spot in the playoffs.

yeah football and baseball are wild-card games, not "play-in tournaments". wild-card is still the playoffs.

in football 14/32 teams make the playoffs, a reasonable #. in baseball (in a normal season), 10/30 teams makes the playoffs, also reasonable IMO

in basketball, it was 16/30 which is over 50%, something I always thought was too much. now it's basically 20/30 teams, which is way too much IMO

Does it really matter? The NBA finals 95% of the time comes down to the best 2-3 teams in each conference anyway. Might as well add some excitement to lead to the inevitable.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach

Post#1610 » by knickstape4ever » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:31 pm

Polk377 wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
Polk377 wrote:Football and Baseball each have a wildcard game. Play in adds a level of excitement to end the season and gives a chance to those teams that are usually within a game of each other in the 7-10 range to prove they deserve a spot in the playoffs.

Does it really matter? The NBA finals usually comes down to the best 2-3 teams in each conference anyway. Might as well add some excitement to lead to the inevitable.

IMO it cheapens the playoffs when 2/3 of the league makes it. I just think that the whole point of the regular season is to decide who makes the playoffs
Polk377
General Manager

Post#1611 » by Polk377 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:43 pm

knickstape4ever wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:

Does it really matter? The NBA finals usually comes down to the best 2-3 teams in each conference anyway. Might as well add some excitement to lead to the inevitable.

IMO it cheapens the playoffs when 2/3 of the league makes it. I just think that the whole point of the regular season is to decide who makes the playoffs

The point of playoffs has never been the reason you play regular season games. The game is the game. Playoffs were added to crown a champion for the season. The lack of parity in the NBA has already cheapened the playoffs. Might as well give other teams the opportunity to see if they can knock off the top team and create the almost never upset. Baseball and Football playoffs are exciting because you really feel that any team has a shot. Basketball through 20 games you know who will be playing for the title.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach

Post#1612 » by knickstape4ever » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:55 pm

Polk377 wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
Polk377 wrote:Does it really matter? The NBA finals usually comes down to the best 2-3 teams in each conference anyway. Might as well add some excitement to lead to the inevitable.

The point of playoffs has never been the reason you play regular season games. The game is the game. Playoffs were added to crown a champion for the season. The lack of parity in the NBA has already cheapened the playoffs. Might as well give other teams the opportunity to see if they can knock off the top team and create the almost never upset. Baseball and Football playoffs are exciting because you really feel that any team has a shot. Basketball through 20 games you know who will be playing for the title.

I agree that w/ the NBA, the contenders are more pre-determined, which is also part of why I don't like the play-in tournament. it kinda drags things out when we know what the result will be

say the 10 seed upsets the 8 seed, they still end up playing the 1 seed

the lack of parity in the NBA is also why I don't think they should add expansion teams (which apparently they've talked about). I'd rather they relocate teams than expand....like moving the Grizzlies to Vegas (or Seattle, but I think LV is the better option)
Polk377
General Manager

Post#1613 » by Polk377 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 9:02 pm

knickstape4ever wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:

I agree that w/ the NBA, the contenders are more pre-determined, which is also part of why I don't like the play-in tournament. it kinda drags things out when we know what the result will be

the lack of parity in the NBA is also why I don't think they should add expansion teams (which apparently they've talked about). I'd rather they relocate teams than expand....like moving the Grizzlies to Vegas (or Seattle, but I think LV is the better option)

The NBA needs the play ins for financial reasons. Lack of interest in the playoffs is costing them money. Their idea is that a play in will generate a buzz for a team heading into the matchup against the #1 seed making people want to watch and root for the underdog. It's a pure rating play more so then a competitive balance play on their part.

I agree that expansion would be a terrible idea. Reduction of 1 team in each conference would be better. Get rid of Memphis and Orlando and add an extra roster spot per team to make up for the player reduction.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach

Post#1614 » by knickstape4ever » Sat Jan 9, 2021 9:14 pm

Polk377 wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
Polk377 wrote:The point of playoffs has never been the reason you play regular season games. The game is the game. Playoffs were added to crown a champion for the season. The lack of parity in the NBA has already cheapened the playoffs. Might as well give other teams the opportunity to see if they can knock off the top team and create the almost never upset. Baseball and Football playoffs are exciting because you really feel that any team has a shot. Basketball through 20 games you know who will be playing for the title.

The NBA needs the play ins for financial reasons. Lack of interest in the playoffs is costing them money. Their idea is that a play in will generate a buzz for a team heading into the matchup against the #1 seed making people want to watch and root for the underdog. It's a pure rating play more so then a competitive balance play on their part.

I agree that expansion would be a terrible idea. Reduction of 1 team in each conference would be better. Get rid of Memphis and Orlando and add an extra roster spot per team to make up for the player reduction.

no doubt it's all about the $, I just don't like it

yeah relocate 1-2 teams. Memphis is the obvious choice because they're a Western Conf. team located in the east. Wolves and Pelicans also relocation options that makes sense (harder to relocate an East team w/o Conf. reorganization since most new locations are West: Seattle, LV) b/c they are are 28th, 29th in franchise value respectively. I've always thought Kings too, but they're surprisingly #15 in value
Polk377
General Manager

Post#1615 » by Polk377 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 9:38 pm

knickstape4ever wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:

no doubt it's all about the $, I just don't like it

yeah relocate 1-2 teams. Memphis is the obvious choice because they're a Western Conf. team located in the east. Wolves and Pelicans also relocation options that makes sense (harder to relocate an East team w/o Conf. reorganization since most new locations are West: Seattle, LV) b/c they are are 28th, 29th in franchise value respectively. I've always thought Kings too, but they're surprisingly #15 in value

In the East I would relocate Milwaukee to Nashville. In the West Minnesota to St. Louis, Sacramento to Seattle and OKC to Vegas.
cgf
RealGM

Post#1616 » by cgf » Sat Jan 9, 2021 9:42 pm

Did anyone watch the Auburn or Tennessee games?

Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,034

Post#1617 » by Reign23 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:15 pm

why is there no talk about suggs/cade games?
formerly known as knickst4pe
cgf
RealGM

Post#1618 » by cgf » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:23 pm

Reign23 wrote:why is there no talk about suggs/cade games?

For me, it's just cause I haven't focused on either of them in a bit. Past two weeks or so, I've been watching other prospects who I need to see more of to get a strong feel for.

cgf
RealGM

Post#1619 » by cgf » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:33 pm

Love Ziaire's ballhawking instincts on D. He read that pass before the offensive player.

EDIT:
Is Ziaire going to be a star out of the gates? I doubt it, is he going to be a #1 option someday & run a playoff caliber offense? Maybe :dontknow:

What I can say for sure is that I really love the base that he has to build from with his tools/skill & instincts...and see a clear path to contributing early, even if he has to start off as a low-usage guy. His length, springy-ness, defensive instincts, cutting & passing will let him make a positive contribution quickly...even if his 3ball (30%) is lagging behind his FT stroke (86%); and his outside shooting will be a big part of his ability to create with the ball in his hands.

Finished with 16pts (5-10 FGs, 0-3 3s, 6-8 FTs), 3rebs, 2ast, 2stl. Spent a lot of his time guarding Washington State's lead ballhandler & almost blocked another 3, after having swatted two in their last game. Kid keeps looking like exactly the kind of wing that I want in between RJB & Julius/Obi.
Spoiler:
Come on Leon, do it...

*Lonzo* | Quickley | Johnson
Burks | Rivers | Ntilikina
Barrett | Williams | Lewis
Randle | Knox II
Robinson | Toppin | (Gibson)
------------------------------
*Lonzo* | Quickley | Johnson
Barrett | Rivers | Ntilikina
Williams | Burks | Lewis
Randle | Knox II
------------------------------
Quickley | Rivers | Johnson
*Lonzo* | Burks | Ntilikina
Barrett | Williams | Lewis
Randle | Knox II

Smallball lineup:
Quickley | Rivers | Johnson
*Lonzo* | Ntilikina
Barrett | Burks | Lewis
Williams | Knox II
Randle | Robinson | Toppin | (Gibson)

robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,382

Post#1620 » by robillionaire » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:31 am

Reign23 wrote:why is there no talk about suggs/cade games?

1-3 for 5 points ok we talked about it

Return to New York Knicks