ImageImageImageImageImage

2020-2021 College/Draft thread 1

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Re: 2020-2021 College/Draft thread 1 

Post#81 » by knickstape4ever » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:39 am

cgf wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:
Jalen Johnson
SF/PF | Duke
6'9"
220 lbs
Freshman
18.9 yrs

Caleb Love
PG | North Carolina
6'4"
195 lbs
Freshman
19.2 yrs

Ziaire Williams
SF | Stanford
6'8"
185 lbs
Freshman
19.2 yrs

those 3 are great, tho I think Jalen Johnson is less of a fit now that we have Obi. he's 1 of my favorites tho. I think Williams is special and so is Love. Williams=PG13, Love=Lillard?

You don't think Obi & JJ would be absolutely nasty together if we surrounded them with shooters?

Like (just hypothetically) if we sent RJ to Phoenix when Booker demands a trade next summer, found a stretch 5 for Obi...like I suspect we'll eventually need to do if Mitch can't learn to shoot...and Frank's 3pt shooting jumped 4% again, over the course of this season, to get him to league average.

sure if pieces were moved around he could be a good fit, but 1) I doubt Booker is asking out next summer 2) I wouldn't move Rj and Mitch just to make him fit when there are plenty of other prospects that fit better
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,341

Post#82 » by Worst_to_First » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:40 am

HEZI wrote:How awkward would it be though for a kid named Boston to play for the Knicks?

Perhaps not to the same extent but had this issue with Allan Houston before (will forever be salty about 1994). But eventually got used to it with H2O being amongst my favorite Knick of all time.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,913

Post#83 » by cgf » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:53 am

knickstape4ever wrote:
cgf wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
those 3 are great, tho I think Jalen Johnson is less of a fit now that we have Obi. he's 1 of my favorites tho. I think Williams is special and so is Love. Williams=PG13, Love=Lillard?

You don't think Obi & JJ would be absolutely nasty together if we surrounded them with shooters?

Like (just hypothetically) if we sent RJ to Phoenix when Booker demands a trade next summer, found a stretch 5 for Obi...like I suspect we'll eventually need to do if Mitch can't learn to shoot...and Frank's 3pt shooting jumped 4% again, over the course of this season, to get him to league average.

sure if pieces were moved around he could be a good fit, but 1) I doubt Booker is asking out next summer 2) I wouldn't move Rj and Mitch just to make him fit when there are plenty of other prospects that fit better

Booker was just an example since there have been murmurs that he's disgruntled with the suns; my point was moreso about how much the supporting cast will change around Tobbin & our 2021 pick. Be that through development; like Mitch, Frank & RJ all becoming average 3pt shooters, if not better, over the next season or two; or through trades for other young talents.

If we assume that the current regime picked Tobbin because they loved him, and not because they thought he'd be the best tradebait in a couple of years, then he's the one guy who's an exception to that & the guy we should actually worry about the fit with. Which is why I worry for Mitch if he can't learn to space the floor, regardless of whom we pick in 2021.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach

Post#84 » by knickstape4ever » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:33 am

cgf wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
cgf wrote:You don't think Obi & JJ would be absolutely nasty together if we surrounded them with shooters?

Booker was just an example since there have been murmurs that he's disgruntled with the suns; my point was moreso about how much the supporting cast will change around Tobbin & our 2021 pick. Be that through development; like Mitch, Frank & RJ all becoming average 3pt shooters, if not better, over the next season or two; or through trades for other young talents.

If we assume that the current regime picked Tobbin because they loved him, and not because they thought he'd be the best tradebait in a couple of years, then he's the one guy who's an exception to that & the guy we should actually worry about the fit with. Which is why I worry for Mitch if he can't learn to space the floor, regardless of whom we pick in 2021.

I don't see any stars becoming available even next offseason

I also think that RJ at least is securely part of their future, Mitch too but a bit less so b/c his contract situation and his potential fit w/ Obi.

around RJ, Mitch, and Obi they need shooting and Jalen Johnson still needs to develop that part of his game, which is why I have prospects like Boston and Williams ahead of him
Guano
RealGM
And1: 40,414

Post#85 » by Guano » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:33 am

haven't read anything on this draft class and only watched a 5 min highlight video of Cade and none of the other prospects so I feel completely comfortable saying that i'm all in on him.
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,312

Post#86 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:34 am

Easily will be 25+ threads by the draft
Strick
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,447

Post#87 » by Strick » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:54 am

Someone flying a bit under the radar is Moses Moody. I liked his game a lot watching Cade Cunningham and I’m a bit biased because I love watching Arkansas play but the kid has a great head on his shoulders and listening to him talk he seems cut from that Quickley cloth of a gym rat, high character, great teammate, etc. I think he would be a good and realistic option for that Dallas pick. With Mason Jones and Isaiah Joe gone Moody is going to put up some numbers. He’s the most talented player they’ve had in some time and he can really shoot the ball

Spoiler:
Only red flag was him shouting out Portis :lol:
RGM Knicks BAF- Minnesota Timberwolves

PG: Coby|Ivey|Bones
SG: Monk|Dinwiddie|Smith Jr
SF: B Miller|Jalen J|Cissoko
PF: Paolo|Obi|Walker
C: SenGOON|Koloko|____
RealGM
And1: 39,217

Post#88 » by 2010 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:54 am

Guano wrote:haven't read anything on this draft class and only watched a 5 min highlight video of Cade and none of the other prospects so I feel completely comfortable saying that i'm all in on him.

Jalen Green is the real deal too.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Davis18
Senior
And1: 706

Post#89 » by Davis18 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:13 am

After watching Cade Cunningham intro video from other thread, he seems to be play making lead guard we been waiting for.
All other wings are nice too but this is the draft we get franchise changing play maker.
High IQ, vision, smooth athletic, skilled etc.
Please just one time give us 1st pick!!
knickstape4ever
Head Coach

Post#90 » by knickstape4ever » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:17 am

draft isn't scheduled yet, but if they return to a normal-ish schedule, it would be about a week after the finals end, which is only 8 months away

that would also mean the draft lottery is only about 7 months away. and to think we spent over a year discussing the 2020 draft
Guano
RealGM

Post#91 » by Guano » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:24 am

2010 wrote:
Guano wrote:haven't read anything on this draft class and only watched a 5 min highlight video of Cade and none of the other prospects so I feel completely comfortable saying that i'm all in on him.

i'll make sure to keep an eye out for him, too
cgf
RealGM

Post#92 » by cgf » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:32 am

knickstape4ever wrote:
cgf wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:

I also think that RJ at least is securely part of their future, Mitch too but a bit less so b/c his contract situation and his potential fit w/ Obi.

around RJ, Mitch, and Obi they need shooting and Jalen Johnson still needs to develop that part of his game, which is why I have prospects like Boston and Williams ahead of him

Fair enough, I disagree about Mitch and to a lesser extent RJ being securely part of the future...especially if Mitch can't learn to shoot. But I guess we'll see...I mean it's not like RJ becoming an above-average three-point shooter would be all that shocking, even if he doesn't end up traded for more of a sniper.

And we need playmaking just as much as we need more shooting, which is why JJ is so intriguing to me if we don't get lucky in the lottery.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach

Post#93 » by knickstape4ever » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:38 am

cgf wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
cgf wrote:

Fair enough, I disagree about Mitch and to a lesser extent RJ being securely part of the future...especially if Mitch can't learn to shoot. But I guess we'll see...I mean it's not like RJ becoming an above-average three-point shooter would be all that shocking, even if he doesn't end up traded for more of a sniper.

I think RJ is being undervalued. had he been in this draft, he'd have gone #1 easily. he's still a great talent that was drafted 3rd overall just a year ago. I think he's securely a part of the future unless a big-time, young star becomes available (like Mitchell, Booker, KAT) which I think is unlikely in the next year.

w/ Mitch, I agree, he's less securely part of the future than either RJ or Obi but I still think he is part of the future b/c he's the anchor defensively that we'll need, especially since Obi isn't a good defender. the offensive fit is the question, but should be fine so long as Obi's shot is good. I personally don't think Mitch needs to develop a 3 pointer (tho it would be nice) to become a franchise-type player. the archetype for him is Gobert/Capela, an elite rim protector/rebounder
cgf
RealGM

Post#94 » by cgf » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:46 am

knickstape4ever wrote:
cgf wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:

I think RJ is being undervalued. had he been in this draft, he'd have gone #1 easily. he's still a great talent that was drafted 3rd overall just a year ago. I think he's securely a part of the future unless a big-time, young star becomes available (like Mitchell, Booker, KAT) which I think is unlikely in the next year.

w/ Mitch, I agree, he's less securely part of the future than either RJ or Obi but I still think he is part of the future b/c he's the anchor defensively that we'll need, especially since Obi isn't a good defender. the offensive fit is the question, but should be fine so long as Obi's shot is good. I personally don't think Mitch needs to develop a 3 pointer (tho it would be nice) to become a franchise-type player. the archetype for him is Gobert/Capela, an elite rim protector/rebounder

I'm down for RJ to stick around and make his place on the knicks, just think that he's the sexy piece that this regime will be willing to dangle for a young star that they like more. Be that over the next year or closer to his rookie extension.

As for the mitch-obi fit, I actually love having mitch to cover for Obi defensively and I'm confident in Obi's shooting. My concern is solely about getting the most out of Tobbin offensively and not forcing him into a more perimeter game because the paint is always clogged with Mitch out there too. Similar to how I expect Capela to get in Collins way offensively in Atlanta, even with Trae & Huerter launching deep threes all the time. That's why I worry that we'll need to turn Mitch into someone like JJJ, sooner or later.

DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#95 » by DowNY » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:00 am

If we don’t get a top 4 pick, I’m down for trading up.
I’m all in on Cade Cunningham, Jalen Green, BJ Boston & Jalen Suggs for our team.
Guano
RealGM

Post#96 » by Guano » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:55 am

2010 wrote:

Love that this kid is skipping college and going straight to the G league for a number of reasons. first and foremost f the ncaa - it's bs that they exploit their student athletes and prevent them from making bread. Also, he'll be playing against adults - seems like the competition in the G league would test him more.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,440

Post#97 » by RHODEY » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:09 am

Davis18 wrote:After watching Cade Cunningham intro video from other thread, he seems to be play making lead guard we been waiting for.
All other wings are nice too but this is the draft we get franchise changing play maker.

and to add to that laundry list of positive attributes,DUDE IS 6'7"....Nice.
Davis18
Senior
And1: 706

Post#98 » by Davis18 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:26 am

RHODEY wrote:
Davis18 wrote:After watching Cade Cunningham intro video from other thread, he seems to be play making lead guard we been waiting for.

and to add to that laundry list of positive attributes,DUDE IS 6'7"....Nice.

Yeah, I forgot to mention one of his finest attribute.
He is like suped up Shaun Livingston on steroids.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#99 » by Oscirus » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:12 am

what we should be looking at is the older players since that appears to be rose's preference
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,736

Post#100 » by aggo » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:17 am

Cade Cunningham's shot has a similar problem to RJ's in his rookie year.

He has a lot more wrist flex and finger feel but,

his elbow is super tight and his right arm is extremely vertical.

Return to New York Knicks