ImageImageImageImageImage

Rumors and Discussion Thread (NYK and NBA) V - Elfrid Payton Sucks

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,688

Re: Rumors and Discussion Thread (NYK and NBA) V - Elfrid Payton Sucks 

Post#1261 » by mpharris36 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:29 pm

god shammgod wrote:
Read on Twitter

i honestly don't know who this is. :lol:

he played for the sixers when they were tanking with Hinkie
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 127,040

Post#1262 » by god shammgod » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:30 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
Read on Twitter

i honestly don't know who this is. :lol:

he played for the sixers when they were tanking with Hinkie

i don't think even sixers fans watched those games
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,049

Post#1263 » by Reign23 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:30 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:The difference is even if we make marginal improvements. Minny, GS, Charlotte, And ATL made huge improvements.

We probably will be a bottom 5 team just of talent even though we got better.

DET and CLE should be the only teams that could potentially be worse than us.

OKC

They are obviously tanking

cleveland? no way. their starting 5 is actually pretty good.

Sexton
Garland
Okoro
Love
Drummond

I see them with about 10 more wins than us tbh
formerly known as knickst4pe
bigfnjoe96
General Manager
And1: 3,948

Post#1264 » by bigfnjoe96 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:31 pm

I see Fat Berman is at it again. He's becoming @$$ola right before our very eyes

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,921

Post#1265 » by SelbyCobra » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:31 pm

whocares1 wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:That Berman article is some of his finest trolling. He somehow sons himself when trying to paint an ominous picture - and within sentences. :lol:

But that’s irrelevant. VanVleet wanted to stay. The bigger issue is why they couldn’t land Augustin. Knicks GM Scott Perry, according to sources, adored Augustin when he had him in Orlando. Augustin is not a Creative Artists Agency client and Rose did not have the edge.

Augustin signed with the powerful Milwaukee Bucks for three years, $21 million. The Knicks would have had to massively overpay.

So a player got top money from a title contender, and it's a big issue that the Knicks couldn't find a way to be a better option? Talk about not falling for the okie-doke.

I mean the Knicks could’ve offered 1 year at 20 million for DJ and he’d take that contract. There’s no one that would turn down 20 million for one season if they were offered 21 for 3.

Right, and that would have alleviated the "bigger issue" that Berman says not signing Augustin demonstrated? (Narrator: "No. In fact it would have created an even bigger problem to write about in the papers.")

The issue is that the Knicks suck following years of incompetent and neglectful management and need to get better. Hopefully we're on that path.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,388

Post#1266 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:33 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
snadler wrote:So if you believe Berman the plan was to compete and nobody wanted the Knicks money even Augustin..like ive been saying having cap space and winning 20 games continually and nobody is taking the money, you have to start putting a winning product on the floor and change the perception of being the laughing stock of the nba

Agree, tell that to tank commanders. The team needs to take some sort of step and I don't know if this is a good time to do that but w need to do it at some point.

I wish people would understand there is a middle ground on here, and it's quite a few posters, who think there is a middle ground between "tank commander" and "throw the whole bag at Westbrook" or whoever.

Also, why try to "improve" when the improvement is super marginal, but costly?
And that might sound like advocating the tank, but if a team is REALLY developing it's youth, a cheap decent vet for a year is a smarter idea than an "good' but expensive vet.

Put it another way. I'm disappointed in the FA, and even the draft, since the Knicks did d*ck to solve shot creation/penetration/passing, but signing a guy like Burks and taking another shot at the draft is a better idea for a rebuilding team than signing THJr, and that's even with the excuse that THJr was signed when the Knicks had their "main piece" in KP.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 44,058

Post#1267 » by DaGawd » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:34 pm

god shammgod wrote:
snadler wrote:So if you believe Berman the plan was to compete and nobody wanted the Knicks money even Augustin..like ive been saying having cap space and winning 20 games continually and nobody is taking the money, you have to start putting a winning product on the floor and change the perception of being the laughing stock of the nba

but they did try and nobody would take their money

Undesirables for picks was the play
BaF
Washington Wizards
Dave DaButcher
Sixth Man
And1: 4,296

Post#1268 » by Dave DaButcher » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:34 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#1269 » by god shammgod » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:35 pm

Dave DaButcher wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

knicks never get lucky tho :lol:
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,989

Post#1270 » by Richard4444 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:35 pm

So, what wlll be our strategy to burn the cap space left?

I dont believe in Bogdan signing. Nobody put us in the race for him.

What are we going to do?

a) We may have some trade negotiations. Rozier, Bledsoe, Hill, WB and we will use the cap space as asset.

b) We will rent cap space for some team to get rid of salary

c) We are going to dump 20-27M in 2/3 random guys like Galloway, Bazemore, Forbes, Reggie Jackson, Dotson, Boucher, Bol Bol, Saric, Juancho, Kaminsky, Giles, Morkief, Vonleh, Rivers, MKG, McLaughing, Cook?
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#1271 » by whocares1 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:35 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:That Berman article is some of his finest trolling. He somehow sons himself when trying to paint an ominous picture - and within sentences. :lol:

So a player got top money from a title contender, and it's a big issue that the Knicks couldn't find a way to be a better option? Talk about not falling for the okie-doke.

I mean the Knicks could’ve offered 1 year at 20 million for DJ and he’d take that contract. There’s no one that would turn down 20 million for one season if they were offered 21 for 3.

Right, and that would have alleviated the "bigger issue" that Berman says not signing Augustin demonstrated? (Narrator: "No. In fact it would have created an even bigger problem to write about in the papers.")

The issue is that the Knicks suck following years of incompetent and neglectful management and need to get better. Hopefully we're on that path.

Not going for a floor spacing distributor at the 1 shows that the Knicks haven’t gotten better tho. It’s not about just for the long term but even just a player like Augustin would’ve helped the development of the young guys.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1272 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:37 pm

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Dantares wrote:Randle for Bogdanovic sign and trade please. Randle played well for Luke Walton.

Serious question.

Do you want Bogdanovic on your cap for 3 or 4 years at roughly 20 million per?

Because he's 28 years old. He's got this one chance to really get paid in the NBA. He's not taking 10 million, and based on what guys like Bertans or Woods got, at about 14 and 16, I think Bogs tries hard to exceed that as he's a little older/proven better.

Folks were balking at FVV for 24/25 million even though it solved PG for a while, as the price was "too high" for what he brought. And while Bogs IS good, he's sort of an all around skilled glue guy. Does a rebuilding team "solve" SG for 4 years and 20 million with that player?

I can see a case for yes and no.

It would certainly feel EMOTIONALLY better that the Knicks came away in FA with a player who is an actual part of the future instead another year of placeholders, even if this group of placeholders makes more sense fit and $ wise.

I vote "yes".

At the moment this seems to be an almost identical re-run of last year without the team options. All of the vets need selfish playing time as the all have to find new contracts next year. People have fantasies about trading them for picks to contenders at the trade deadline. Only Marcus Morris evinced any interest at all out of the seven-nine players in that situation last year. And to put those players in the shop window means emphasising their playing time over the people on rookie contracts - some of whom at least may have some kind of future with the Knicks past summer 2021. Seems like an utterly abysmal strategy to me. But, hey.

Signing Bogdan would at least allow some stability for the likes of RJ and Obi. And he's levels better than Burks and Bullock.

I'm not going to overrate Burks, but I'm not sure Bogdan is "levels" better. Better? Sure. Levels? Maybe 1, whatever "level" means.

The thing is, Bogdan then occupies one of your max slots, basically. Is he worth that?
Again, I could see why a team would and would not do it.
I lean "slight yes" on Bogs.

Also, he's somehow going to Atlanta or Pacers. Knicks never win out in situations like this, even if they have any interest, which I'm not sure.
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#1273 » by god shammgod » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:37 pm

it is confusing why they didn't get augustin instead of payton if that's what they wanted. if he got 21 for 3, he probably would have took 13/14 for 1. it's an overpay but so what. you're sitting on 30 mill now for no good reason.
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,049

Post#1274 » by Reign23 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:37 pm

Richard4444 wrote:So, what wlll be our strategy to burn the cap space left?

I dont believe in Bogdan signing. Nobody put us in the race for him.

What are we going to do?

a) We may have some trade negotiations. Rozier, Bledsoe, Hill, WB and we will use the cap space as asset.

b) We will rent cap space for some team to get rid of salary

c) We are going to dump 20-27M in 2/3 random guys like Galloway, Bazemore, Forbes, Reggie Jackson, Dotson, Boucher, Bol Bol, Saric, Juancho, Kaminsky, Giles, Morkief, Vonleh, Rivers, MKG, McLaughing, Cook?

nah, we already have 14 below average guys.
hope we just dump randle and keep space open for in-season moves.
formerly known as knickst4pe
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,623

Post#1275 » by Gravy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:39 pm

Dave DaButcher wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Next step is to photoshop Cade and Giannis in a Knicks jersey :clown: . That will help!
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,688

Post#1276 » by mpharris36 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:40 pm

god shammgod wrote:it is confusing why they didn't get augustin instead of payton if that's what they wanted. if he got 21 for 3, he probably would have took 13/14 for 1. it's an overpay but so what. you're sitting on 30 mill now for no good reason.

unless there is something we don't know they are doing with that $30 MM

that is a scary amount looming out there to be honest with you.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1277 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:41 pm

whocares1 wrote:

But that’s irrelevant. VanVleet wanted to stay. The bigger issue is why they couldn’t land Augustin. Knicks GM Scott Perry, according to sources, adored Augustin when he had him in Orlando. Augustin is not a Creative Artists Agency client and Rose did not have the edge.

Augustin signed with the powerful Milwaukee Bucks for three years, $21 million. The Knicks would have had to massively overpay.

Knicks need a PG bad but that would be "Bobby Portis Stupid"
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,989

Post#1278 » by Richard4444 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:43 pm

god shammgod wrote:it is confusing why they didn't get augustin instead of payton if that's what they wanted. if he got 21 for 3, he probably would have took 13/14 for 1. it's an overpay but so what. you're sitting on 30 mill now for no good reason.

We may be talking to Augustin at this exact moment trying to convince him to withdraw his agreement with The Bucks... like Morris did last year...
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#1279 » by god shammgod » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:43 pm

mpharris36 wrote:

unless there is something we don't know they are doing with that $30 MM

that is a scary amount looming out there to be honest with you.

you would think, if it's only a 1 year deal, that's where you would spend your money. it's the obvious need.
louisorr
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,387

Post#1280 » by louisorr » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:43 pm

all these scenarios are entertaining but let's face it we are/were going to be a lottery team next year no matter what. just gotta get through the next few months.

Return to New York Knicks